Alaska Airlines

Updated 15 December 2014
3.6

Alaska Airlines President & CEO Bradley D. Tilden
Bradley D. Tilden

Pros
  • The flight benefits was the best part of the job (in 14 reviews)

• Supportive of work/life balance I wasn't there for very long so I can't say much more (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very odd shift work and starting pay is low (in 6 reviews)

• Poor pay and horrible schedules all based on seniority (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I don't work for them but i would like to as a pilot on day

Current Employee - Pilot in Juneau, AK (US)
    Current Employee - Pilot in Juneau, AK (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

none but i would really like to work there one day when i am finished with college

Cons

non but i hope there are none when i work there after college

Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant- great opportunity for the right person

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a fabulous job if you enjoy a flexible schedule, working closely with people and can maintain a positive attitude even when tired and stressed. You will be very well trained and ready to handle the job once you complete all the training requirements. The benefits are wonderful with insurance and lifetime passes. Loved this job for 30 years!

Cons

The things that make this a great job are also the same things that make this a challenging job! Flexible schedule= irregular hours for working, sleeping and eating. Working with the public- we all know what that can be like.
    This is the only job I can think of where, with any luck, you will never use 90% of your training!

Political circus!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All full time employees received the usual; medical, dental, vision, 401k, profit sharing (when profitable). However, the flight benefits were a nice perk- unlimited standby travel free on Alaska, and the ability to purchase cheap standby passes on other carriers.

Cons

The company is notorious for extremely LOW salaries. As a 15 year manager (with a college degree), I was barely making $60k. The company tries to sell you on the idea that your compensation includes very generous flight benefits. That's nice, but it doesn't pay the bills. Money talks!

The management division is also chock full of political back-stabbing, and regardless of your title/ seniority, you never know when your time is up. The company has a reputation for taking senior employees 'out to pasture' even if they're highly effective in their roles. Routinely, these higher salaried/ senior/ experienced employees are replaced with younger, less skilled employees who will agree to work for half of what you made.

Loosen up the purse strings, pay your employees what they're worth, treat them with respect, and perhaps you'll have happier passengers.

Remember: take care of the employees who take care of the passengers, who in turn, will reward you with repeat business = happy shareholders!

Co-workers are the best part of the job.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines

Pros

coworkers, flexible hours, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Alaska is almost like two separate companies. Flight crews, agents, and mechanics vs the office and management staff.

Show more respect to your employees that actually get the planes in the air.

Great Job - Company could use help

Former Employee - Flight Attendant
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great health and travel benefits, Co-workers are fun, Pay gets better the longer you work

Cons

Management not in tune with employees, long hours, may have to fly over night, low pay to start

Overall a good company to work for

Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic
    Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company has given me some opportunities that some may had not when I first entered the aviation field. Although nothing is perfect, it's what you make of your career will decide how you perceive this company. There are advancement opportunity and movement within the company is possible. As most companies the pay is not industry leading, but is averge maybe higher.

Cons

Cons in this company are the same as all large corporations. Working midnight shift weekends and holidays are in every aviation job. In the Work center there is no recognition other then what is contractually required. So don't expect pats on the back for a job well done, that is what paychecks are for.

Continue to innovate and find new ways to increase production thru technology. Personal recognition for achievements should be offered. Educational benefits should be offered.

A Happy, Pay-It-Forward Company

Former Employee - Boardroom Concierge in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Boardroom Concierge in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Alaska Airlines part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a family atmosphere; employees truly love their jobs; the company is successful and profitable; it has a small company feel; they give bonuses and extra payouts quarterly when profitable; they are the recipient of the JD Power Award for seven years running.

Cons

Starting pay isn't the best, but it improves with time; airline jobs are challenging because of the nature of the business (ie. flight delays, changes, etc, causes unhappy & frustrated customers.)

The only thing I can suggest is to order some new airplanes with TV/movie screens on each seat. The divi-players are not of very good quality.

Great people, awesome travel benefits, feels like family

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time

Pros

The culture and people here make this such a great place to work. Travel benefits are amazing, and are the ultimate perk of working for an airline. Flexible schedules, good work/life balance, and plenty of PTO also means you are actually able to use the travel benefits. Management is really starting to invest in IT to bring in the latest technologies and practices, which makes this a very exciting time to be working here particularly as a Software Developer, but also for any role in IT. Lots of training opportunities allow you to grow and gain knowledge.

Cons

Salaries are lower than other competing tech companies in the area, and we are still in the middle of a transformation in IT to a more agile process, which can cause headaches.

Keep investing in IT so we can keep innovating to make us the easiest airline to fly. Keep us independent!

Great

Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Technician in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Technician in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very organized company, good co-workers (some)

Cons

No one seems to be on the same page past working on the aircraft, to many differences at various stations

Have rotating schedules for employees with children because making people work the entire weekend and manage to try to spend time is impossible, family values are not valued by upper management.

Great company with employees who care and a bright future ahead!

Current Employee - Middle Level Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Middle Level Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Consistent profits and bonus payout each year. Great PTO program. Senior leadership is very visible and the company cares what employees think and looks for ways to constantly improve the work/life balance. Well run, great operational performance and pride in remaining an independent airline.

Cons

Salary is very average and limited career growth potential once you reach a certain level. Middle management can be a frustrating place at times because of the need to appease senior leaders who can be very "hands on."

Alaska Airlines Photos