Alaska Airlines

Updated 19 November 2014
3.7

Alaska Airlines President & CEO Bradley D. Tilden
Bradley D. Tilden

Pros
  • The flight benefits was the best part of the job (in 14 reviews)

• Supportive of work/life balance I wasn't there for very long so I can't say much more (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very odd shift work and starting pay is low (in 6 reviews)

• Poor pay and horrible schedules all based on seniority (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast Paced, High Pressure Environment

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time

Pros

Lots of interesting people, great travel benefits, extensive route network can literally take you places you never thought you would go.

Cons

Very high stress environment, with long hours and an expectation that salaried employees will work 50-60 hours a week most of the time. The airline industry as a whole is very competitive and cost-conscious, and Alaska is no exception. Do not expect great benefits / perks, outside of the travel benefits (which can be hard to take advantage of). Pay is generally below market when compared to other Seattle-area companies, but is probably in line with other airlines.

Great place to work - perfect for someone starting out in the workplace

Current Employee - Customer Srevice Agent in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Srevice Agent in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, great health benefits, awesome coworkers

Cons

There are no glaring cons, I love this company.

I had a positive experience with Alaska Airlines.

I worked at Alaska Airlines

Pros

The training from my position as a flight attendant was very complete and comprehensive. The groundcrew and the aircrews work together well as teams and it made the work so much easier.

Cons

My only complaint was that I was going to call and did not move up very much because they were not hiring so it was difficult to be on reserve all the time and have a personal life.

As a flight attendant on reserve it would've been nice to have been able to trade days off more easily. I also would've liked to of known my manager a little better.

Pilot Scheduler

Former Employee - Pilot Scheduler in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Pilot Scheduler in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

What a wonderful job, great people and life/work balance. Time off policies are bid on and are based on your seniority, with that said it is easy to trade among your co-workers for time off.

Cons

Salaries could be greatly improved! You are a union employee however the customer service union is very weak.

Give preferential treatment for CSA's to convert to Flight Attendant.

Review

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time

Pros

They have great Travel benefits

Cons

Some of their Company valuesare questionable

It's a great airline to work for!

Former Employee - Project Management and Analytics in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Management and Analytics in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Alaska Airlines as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good working environment, good colleagues, and good retirement package are big pros of the company.

Cons

Change management is a huge challenge in this place with all outdated technology and also salary is slightly lower than other major airlines.

It's time upper management realized the need to update all their outdated technology on a periodic basis throughout the company to prevent future irreparable loss.

Good overall

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people I get to work with make it a great place. There is a large focus and passion on making sure everyone understands the importance of our customers. Most senior leaders have finally shifted from emotional to educated decisions, which has resulted in a lot of company growth and profitability.

Cons

Showing leadership skills is often not a prerequisite to getting a leadership position. Little has been done to make changes based on previous employee feedback surveys, and no one has been held accountable for this. Few opportunities for changing roles or new development positions. IT systems are ancient and hold back most divisions from making some major changes to how they operate.

Break down the silos between divisions and take advantage of your employees to come up with better ways of doing things. You aren't expected to have all the answers, even though you act like you are suppose to. Spend some time getting to really know your employees and seeing how they contribute to the organization.

Work, work, work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The flight benefits was the best part of the job. It was nice to go visit family every month.

Cons

Flying standby is not what it's cracked up to be. I like to call it "the lottery"... I still get stressed out whenever I'm at the airport from years of anxiety! For the position, the salary was horrible. The don't feel like I had a good work/life balance while working there.

You're employees are playing too many hats and working far too much. Salaries need to be re-evaluated to match competitors.

Quite "forward thinking"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent

I worked at Alaska Airlines part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company is very pro-employee when it comes to providing for their employees. They provide many company resources for issues that arise in our personal lives. Many opportunities throughout the year to earn kudos and additional perks based I performance. Lots of training.

Cons

Like all airlines.....the schedule is the schedule. So if you need to call in sick, or need an emergency family leave...you need to have the time in your flex-type account or you need to find someone to cover your shift. Attendance is the main priority for employment. But...it keeps the employees from being lazy.

When implementing changes...run it by many employees to get their "ground level" experience to let you know what the change will REALLY impact down the line.

Great company!

Former Employee - Engineering in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Alaska Airlines as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, all my coworkers were friendly and loved having me there. The company itself has amazing benefits and a great outlook. The most friendliest airline in the US. Flexible work hours were a plus.

Cons

Things can get down a little slow but they have a lot of projects that are being worked on.

Keep up the great work!