Allstate

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.1 1,193 reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II

Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • The work life balance is ok in some departments and under good managers(in 141 reviews)

• My current department offers work from home once a week which is great(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is sorely out of wack for exempt personal(in 19 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member)(in 34 reviews)

1,193 Employee Reviews

The civil service of the local IT companies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland

ProsLaid back. Flexible. Lots of social activities. Easy work. Clearly defined roles & responsibilities; processes; org charts.

ConsNo training. Low salaries compared to other IT companies. No real career progression. Bureaucratic.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace desktops with laptops; invest in video conferencing; reduce bureaucracy.

Great place to work

Consultant (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland

ProsCarrer progression and work life balance

ConsNone really, great people, great culture

Great learning experience in a very professional setup

Statistical Modeling Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL (US)

ProsExcellent learning opportunities, professional development, very talented workforce, workplace amenities and a great cafeteria!

ConsIt would have been great if there was an intern to full time placement program after the internship period.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

insurance producer

Insurance Sales Producer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsVery flexible with hours. Help you move up in company

ConsNot enough incentives given and pay could be better

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more programs to help workers

Amazing experience and a great place for an internship, especially your first one.

Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL (US)

ProsCompany values people greatly, both customers and its own, therefore people are incredibly friendly and understanding of your needs. Great work/life balance and opportunities to take initiative and grow. In my experience, this is not stereotypical paper filing and coffee retrieval, but you are actually a full member of the team for 12 weeks.

ConsThe Allstate "nice" culture can actually work to become a negative. People are so friendly that this often leads to passive aggressive behavior and lack of communication when an issue arises.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure interns have regular check-ins with their managers with emphasis placed on consistent communication and feedback.

Friendly, Caring, Co-operative, Relaxed Environment

Accountant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood middle management
    Good colleagues
    Allows additional vacation time (tax-free) or cash (taxable) in lieu of HSA balance

ConsBenefits are OK. Life insurance is self paid and mandatory.

Great Intern Program, Empowering College Students to Succeed

Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL (US)

ProsThey really emphasize a work-life balance, with a cafeteria, gym, Starbucks, among other amenities, all on the Northbrook campus. For the intern program in particular, they create a lot of opportunities for learning and networking within the organization, which allows the interns to get a really good look at the company even just a few weeks after the start date. I really felt like I was contributing to the overall success of the organization, and the projects didn't seem like the typical "busy work" that interns usually get stuck with. I even got to travel for two weeks on a business trip, as an intern!

ConsWith a large, public company, occasionally it's easy to feel like you're just a face in the crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your interns, and create more opportunities for interns to sit down one-on-one with experienced Allstate Directors and VPs. A co-op program would be extremely helpful in developing and retaining talent, especially for students in engineering and other technical fields.

Great Place!

Underwriter Examiner Associate (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL (US)

ProsThey have a great company value and they offer relaxing areas within the office.

ConsPay... I hate to say that they are not super competitive in most areas.

Great internship, with real hands on experience, and with an organization that has a friendly and casual environment.

Actuarial Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL (US)

ProsEveryone I work with is very nice and very helpful. Allstate has a culture of being very friendly, casual, yet, productive. I really enjoy with the working environment here at Allstate. I also got a lot of first hand experience on real projects related to my career path.

ConsSince Allstate is such a large organization, it is easy for interns to fall through the cracks, especially at the beginnnng.

Getting paid to learn more than I've learned at school, while surrounded by great people.

Product Operations Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL (US)

ProsAllstate offers competitive pay rates, as well as a generous housing stipend. I've been strongly encouraged to stop working as soon as I hit 40 hours for the week, and have still been able to manage a busy work flow.

ConsAs an actuarial intern, we don't receive any PTO days. This wasn't that bad, because there are numerous events we attend that serve as a good (paid) break from working.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!