Altera

Updated 4 March 2015
3.4

Altera Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Daane
John P. Daane

Pros
  • Average work load and work life balance as a design engineer (in 31 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to work on interesting, cutting edge technology (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Still you can not have work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Not much options for career advancement (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

A Brilliant Company

Current Intern - Software Engineer in High Wycombe, England
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in High Wycombe, England

I have been working at Altera as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Vastly enrich my industrious experience.

Cons

Commuting is not very convenient.

cool

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Altera full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Quiet, Hardworking, Friendly environment. Everyone gets along and there's a lot of experts within the office which brings the standard of the entire office up.Within the office there are plenty of opportunities outside of work - a football team, badminton, gym on site (uk office) etc.

Cons

As an American company it's often difficult in the UK office to interact with teams from different offices, often the atmosphere feels like the company doesn't value the areas outside of their core IC design and ACDS suite.

Communicate the key goals of each department rather than just the company as a whole. Engineers tend to be left out of the loop when it comes to matters outside of their department and that often causes problems later on.

Talented Engineers working on interesting (but underfunded) work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Altera

Pros

Ability to work on all aspects of the product development, from design, implementation through to customer support.
    Innovation is encouraged (but not necessarily rewarded or funded).
    Really talented engineers work at Altera.
    Most of the work done is challenging and intellectually stimulating.

Cons

Very conservative culture.
    The planning process is long and contrived, and approval seems to be made without proper consideration.
    A lot of work is now going to "low cost centers" around the world.
    Marketing and Engineering are miles apart, leading to confusion about priority of work.
    Projects are often under-resourced.

Allow more fluid movement of people to projects. The required skills need to be matched to the appropriate people.

Probably great at head office, remote offices can be frustrating to work at.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Altera

Pros

If you are into FPGA technology, it is the place to work. Lots of interesting projects going on if you can get on one of them.

The High Wycombe office has a good social environment to it. Lots of extracurricular activities and a pretty good christmas party.

Cons

Senior managements flip flopping. For example satellite office communication to main office is poor.

Consolidate projects with single offices and give those offices more autonomy.

It used to be good.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Altera

Pros

They have a table football table (for the next couple of weeks at least...).

Cons

Few opportunities as jobs are shipped off to other countries. Very slow moving for new ideas and management is constantly a hindrance to innovation. Training budgets have been drastically cut, it is almost impossible to get yourself booked onto a training course even if it is important for your job. As with most sinking ships the rats are starting to abandon, and unfortunately the good ones seem to be leaving first.

Listen to your employees. Improve employee morale by taking their opinions into account, and giving feedback about company vision.

Excellent Company

I have been working at Altera full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is taken very seriously. When a manager leaves they will take their time to find the perfect fit. Sometimes this can take a little too long but it's worth it in the end. I've had several managers here and each of them are accommodating and care about my progress professionally and technically. They encourage you to follow your passion even if it means leaving their team.
    The work is challenging, interesting, and everyone is willing to help out. Cross functional collaboration is simple and easy. Everyone is punctual and professional as well. Food is pretty good, there are activities to distract yourself when you need a break, and the company is headed in a good direction. Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

Sometimes I get the feeling that management is not transparent at all. They can be difficult to read.

Don't be afraid to tell me what I'm doing wrong. It will help me grow in the right direction.

completely easy to work and good environment

Former Employee - FAE in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - FAE in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Altera full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work balance and life balance is considered as importnt

Cons

very conservative and steady moving

need to be flexible and willing to change

Pays well, has changed a lot in past decade.

I worked at Altera

Pros

There is a culture of solving the problem at hand rather than assigning blame. Compensation seems okay. Some departments allow non-traditional working hours and arrangements. The push for more diversity in management seems to be coming from a genuine desire to improve decision making and outcomes.

Cons

The ranking system at review time really puts too much pressure on middle managers. I think the whole '10%'ers system is outdated and has proven to be ineffective. Perhaps Altera's system isn't as strict and public as Microsoft's was before they abandoned it, but in some groups, it can have a toxic effect.

Stop saying 'hairy audacious goal'. Enough with preaching about 'innovation' in general.

I had an amazing experience interning at Altera! I learned so many things in the short time that I was there.

Former Intern - IP Design in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Intern - IP Design in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Altera as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing learning opportunity for interns
    Many interesting projects, very cutting edge technology
    I was given a lot of responsibility as an intern and was treated like I worked full-time.

Cons

Compensation may not be as high as some other Silicon Valley companies, but is pretty standard in the semiconductor industry.

Altera Penang RD - Great team

I have been working at Altera full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People Orientated and supportive management
    Open in communications (from CEO down to RD VP to Directors)
    Plenty of Chalenging assignment. Oopportunity to work on cutting edge technology
    Talented and friendly team to work with (Penang and US)

Cons

Workload can be high during crunch time
    Compensation can be more competitive