Altria Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
3.7

Altria Chairman & CEO Martin J. Barrington
Martin J. Barrington

Pros
  • The work life balance cannot be better than what you will have at this company (in 21 reviews)

• Strong Corporate Social Responsibility, great pay, great benefits (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to maintain (in 25 reviews)

• As a general rule there is absolutely no work-life balance whatsoever, even as management constantly reminds you that there is (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

I was a summer intern at US Smokeless Tobacco and it was a great experience!

Former Employee - Logistics Summer Intern  in  Franklin Park, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Logistics Summer Intern in Franklin Park, IL (US)

I worked at Altria as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They really value their interns. I was given real projects and real responsibilities. The people are all very nice and helpful.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Solid internship, was given a lot of responsibility for an intern.

I worked at Altria

Pros

High pay, close contact with upper management. Lots of autonomy within the job. I can see someone loving this job if they are into the lifestyle.

Cons

Selling cigarettes to people that can't afford to be smoking them. You spend all your time in convenience stores. I was so ready to not see another 7-eleven for the rest of my life.

Great company to work for, with many opportunities to grow as a professional.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Bowling Green, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Bowling Green, KY (US)

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people that work at Altria are some of the best that I have worked for, helping me grow professionally. The work/life balance is very easy to manage once I understood all of the aspects of the job.

Cons

I represent four operating companies out at retail, making it difficult sometimes to prioritize what is going to have the biggest impact. Also, the company is not too keen on taking risks, which it typically doesn't need to given it's number one position in the industry.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with great financial and personal rewards

Current Employee - Manager  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay for a reasonable workload

Cons

Politics that drive decisions and promotions

Internship

Former Employee - Procurement Intern  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Procurement Intern in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Altria as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Company is very supportive of your growth and giving you exposure to multiple functions. They really invest in their employees and take care of them. The culture is starting to evolve to be more collaborative, innovative, and flexible. They let you take control of your own project and take initiative. They took the interns on several trips to farms, warehouses, refineries, manufacturing center, final goods DC to understand the business and supply chain.

Cons

The procurement department has a huge age gap. They also don't really take the intern's time very seriously, and people move or cancel your meeting requests all the time. The work is very project based, rather than actual job roles, and some projects are much more important than others; it's luck of the draw who gets a relevant project. They also get upset if you speak to certain people in the organization without clearing it with all of your supervisors first. Directors are too busy to actually get to know any of the interns beyond few impressions. The company culture is still very hierarchal, bureaucratic and rigid; they are slowly evolving. The procurement department environment is almost totally silent and stale, purely business. A lot of people smoke or have a dip in during meetings and around the campus; non-smokers must accept second hand smoke.

Please have projects prepared prior to interns arriving. My project was just something my manager was currently working on at the exact same time, and I had the impression that the department was not prepared to give me my own project. I received my project after half way through the internship.

Excellent Pay with Outstanding Benefits (if you are willing to give up your personal and/or family life)

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Altria full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent compensation and outstanding benefits with top notch facilities. The perks are simply out of this world from an in-house fully staff gym, to outstanding cafeterias and even am in-house doctor (that is not a typo) which you can use as your Primary Care Physician. The retirement and profit sharing plan too are simply out of this world and you would be hard pressed to find a company that still provides this level of rich benefits and compensation. Their Human Resources group is very competent and enjoys the support of "an army of lawyers". One can summarize how their HR group works as "constantly striving to do the right thing" while still remaining compliant with State and Federal laws.

You will achieve a level of proficiency on what you do that will serve you well once/if you leave the company. Altria provides its employees with the best resources available. I almost forgot; their severance in the event you are let go due to reduction in headcounts (see cons bellow).

Cons

The excellent compensation and benefits will probably be the two, if not the only, main reasons you will remain with the company. As a general rule there is absolutely no work-life balance whatsoever, even as management constantly reminds you that there is. With the exception of "Sales" and "Research and Development" departments it is unlikely you will ever reach the executive row unless you are a lawyer.

Most departments are obsessed with perfection which will be achieved at all costs and by all means necessary. Most employees have long tenures (25 to 30 years of employment is not at all uncommon) and not surprisingly many resist any type of change. Finding fault or "something wrong" in all of your work is somewhat of a sport practice by many of these tenured employees.

If you fall out of grace with management, even if it is completely unfair or uncalled for, they are experts at creating the documentation necessary to get you walk you out of the company. Restructuring occurs almost every year due to the nature of its declining business.

Continue to provide the outstanding resources employees receive in order to complete their jobs, whatever it may be. The "culture of compliance" was one of things I was most proud of when I worked there.

Work-Life balance, or lack there of, will continue to be a challenge for Altria. Every time there is a reduction in headcount the work that those individuals were doing fold over to those left behind and thus the workload continues to increase on a regular basis.

Pay close attention to what former employees have to say about why they left the company. I left due to "restructuring" which always present itself as a wonderful opportunity for managers to employees they may perceive as not meeting their standards. If after all these employees leave the company you are still essentially having the same problems, then perhaps the employees weren't the problem in the first place.

Looking to Make Very Good Money for Very Little Work?

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Wichita, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Wichita, KS (US)

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than a year

Pros

$60,000 plus $10,000 in profit sharing and another $7,500 in bonuses. A free car with personal gas nearly paid in full by the company. You manage your own schedule and work with your boss only 1X/month. Once you get a hold of how to do your job, you can literally finish work within 3 hours most day. This is a great job for someone looking to make good money with little effort. The work life balance cannot be better than what you will have at this company.

Cons

Do not take a job with this company unless you are happy with your location. It is nearly impossible to get promoted in this company. The people who stick around are those who are satisfied making good money and working very little. Also, this job requires going to gas stations all day. Expect to wear nasty clothes because retail stores are often dirty.

Stop placing advancement candidates in small towns. They eventually end up leaving.

Altria is a GREAT place to work

Current Employee - Unit Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay and benefits are really good. They focus on your development and ensure you have the tips to succeed. Mission and values driven

Cons

You usually need to relocate to get promoted. There can be red tape to getting things done and politics can be pervasive in some parts of the country

Add flexibility to the promotion track

Awesome,

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leadership, salary, training, network, opportunities

Cons

Product, hours, and the lack of simplification

Easy Money

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Medford, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Medford, OR (US)

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have some really nice benefits, such as company car and gas paid for, 401k, Tuition paid for in full for your advanced degrees, and ability to manage your work time the way you want too.

Cons

Promotion process is becoming more politically, if you don't have the right manager above you it can make it difficult to advance. The position is really a Merchandiser. You do little to no real sales, as in convincing someone they need your products or using features and benefits to sell your products. You do work a lot on what would be considered to be normally your personal time.

Find a way to have a better work/life balance. Employees are starting to not feel like an indispensable asset but rather a tool to be used and replaced.

Altria Photos

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!