Altria

Altria Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Altria Chairman & CEO Martin J. Barrington

Martin J. Barrington

Pros
  • This position has great work-life balance and allows flexability (in 19 reviews)

• Strong Corporate Social Responsibility, great pay, great benefits (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to maintain (in 24 reviews)

• There is no work life balance at this company (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Really can't beat the experience

ProsPeople are amazing, company treats employees like gold. Strong Corporate Social Responsibility, great pay, great benefits.

ConsLots of hard work, but worth it. Can be overwhelming at times. Hard to explain to others why I love the company since it is a tobacco manufacturer

Great company

TSM (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits. Salary is unmatched.

ConsGlorified merchandiser. Sometimes there isn't enough to do. You can't constantly sell something.

Excellent company, for now.

TSM (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat pay, benefits, 401k matching, car, etc.
    excellent people and a culture of developing employees skill sets.

Great advancement potential if you can pick up and move at the drop of a hat to wherever they tell you.

ConsInflexible advancement practices require relocation at every step. People with families or who are otherwise immobile for whatever reason will be stuck at entry level despite being a top performer, earning an advanced degree, etc. Altria would rather promote and move a lesser candidate than give a top performer the promotion in the same market.

With everyone wanting to make their mark, every layer of mgmt adds their own initiatives. The workload has exploded in the last 3-4 years with no updates to salary.

Merit bonuses are insignificant to encourage going above and beyond. Basically amount to an extra
    Dollar an hour for breaking your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt some point this practice will catch up with the organization. When talented, top performing people are forced to leave the company in order to pursue their career ambitions, the talent pool dilutes. In the near future, the company will be lead by inferior albeit very mobile talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for

ProsReal career development experiences. You will learn real skills for both the real world and any future careers. It comes down to how committed your manager is to your success, and if they are, then the world is yours.

ConsWork life balance is hard. Management piles on work and emphasizes work life balance without really helping with that load (or judging if you say no).

Advice to Senior ManagementYour success comes down to your manager

Best in the Market

TSM (Current Employee)

ProsLeader in market with tobacco sales

Consemployee advancement is very difficult to come by

Solid

Summer Sales (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat internship, pays extremely well, lots of personal attention

ConsTobacco company, prize charisma over genuine work

good, but could be better

Unit Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

Prosgreat people, they care. good benefits and pay. reliable job and predictable work. good balance. good training and time to develop skills

Conscan be overly slow and beuracratic, limited ability to over achieve. cumbersome administration. burdened by legal nad compliance. can stifle creaticity at times

Advice to Senior Managementopen it up more for high performers to do it their way and build their own career track

Good Opportunity

Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsAutonomy, benefits, company car, compensation

ConsPromote wrong candidates, only one road to advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote true talent create opportunities for talent

Good company to work for. Great people!

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAltria has amazing benefits and has been a great company to work for over the years. Unless you are not working, you will not get fired instead your management will work with you on your develpment needs. There are many opportunities to grow, even for people who do not want to get promoted.

ConsAs the company intergrates other companies into its umbrella (UST, JMC, Numark instead of just Philip Morris) the same amount of work is expected for other companies with no extra compansation. The amount of stores that are called on has not changed and the workload has not decreased yet there are 4 companies being represented instead of 1. People also get promoted too quick and move up through the company without really learning their current positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people learn their current roles before promoting.

Great benefits and Promotion potential

Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD (US)

ProsThe benefits, training, salary and promotion potential is exceptional. It is nearly unmatched in a role such as this one,

ConsThe biggest con is that you don't get to work with people everyday and that you are working for a tobacco company. If both of those are acceptable to you then this is a fantastic company to work for.

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!