Amazon.com

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,045 ratings)

2,800 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You're surrounded by smart people who challenge you to grow constantly"
    in 264 reviews
  • "You learn a lot about leadership principles and how to manage people"
    in 78 reviews
Cons:
  • "Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel"
    in 438 reviews
  • "Pathetic culture-no work life balance/poor pays shares are deceiving/Extremely political"
    in 100 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I have worked just over a year at Amazon now in Customer Service and I feel that you are just a robot.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com part-time for more than a year

ProsThe Shares and benefits you get are good if you stay 2 years and looks good on your CV. Nice to deal with customers and help them.

ConsI do not know many people who have managed to stay the 2 years at Amazon. It is a stress factory and you are not allowed to think for yourself it seems. Have to get authorisation for too many things. Supposed to be a place where the customer comes first - what about the employees I ask!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe good to your people and not treat them like they are well beneath you. For people to be productive they have to be happy. Without good employees which you do have already, you won't have a reputable organisation. I believe people are key to a business. You have to learn to appreciate them and treat them like people.

Overall good experience in the office environment, good interactions but not so good progress opportunities available.

Risk (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood working culture, lot's of smart people, good office parties.

ConsLittle or no career progression and development available.

Advice to Senior ManagementShape up career progression and salaries for lower level staff.

Customer obsessed but no interest in its own employees! Shockingly political

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood brand for your CV

ConsVery political , you will get one if you are friends with the right people.
People are stretched to the maximum and pushed to the limit. Often employees are off with migraines , stress and no one really cares about their well-being. The HR department is set up to mainly serve the leaders and not the people. Very arrogant leaders who do not care about employees but only obsess over data and numbers. Everything is done to serve the external customers and nothing is done for the hard working people. You are expected to work day and night, no work life balance and no recognition. Poor management style, this cannot be sustained. People come and go because they hate working in such an environment.

Merchant services/Webstore department has no opportunity for progression.

Technical Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazon brand on your resume.

ConsThere is no opportunity for progression within Merchant services. Management is not keen to see their team members to progress. No salary increments. No bonus. Share allocation taxed at US rate of 50%.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your people - more training, salary increments, opportunities for advancements.

Great company but work-life balance needs to be seriously looked at

CS Manager (Former Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGet to work with some real smart and focused people that you can learn from. Great opportunity if you work hard. Opportunity to travel if you work hard and are in a role where travel may be needed. Proud to work for such an innovative company.

ConsToo political and management play favourites. If you are "in" with the "in crowd" then you will be looked after. Senior management don't know what is happening in the front line, they think they do but are too far away from what people think. Year over year AIS and/or Pulse survey bring up the same failings but work done to fix issues is never fully implemented, this becomes frustrating and demoralising. Lack of or insufficient training in all roles I was invovled in.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out to the leads and managers if you are looking to improve the CSA experience, engage them fully throughout processes and any change. Communicate everything better and be more transparent. Do not tolerate favouritism and cliques.

Clever people, sociable hours, great pay

Account Executive (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros- Clever people
- Sociable hours
- Great pay
- Great location (central London)

Cons- Over worked
- Not enough support from management

Great being a customer, terrible being an employee

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)
Milton Keynes, England

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsMinimal, Good brand on your CV.

ConsExpectation to work all hours of the day - way beyond the norm of reasonable. People were expected to work evenings, weekends, whilst on holidays etc. I also agree with another review that mentioned about the rapid growth - whilst existing employees were expected to suck up the double or triple workload this created.
I understand the values - but they took frugality to another level. I have never worked anywhere quite so shabby, it made me depressed walking into the office every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow your own advice - you claim to be customer centric - what about thinking about the employees in that every now and then?

Associate Vendor Manager

Associate Vendor Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsExposure to variety of different vendors and industry practices

ConsAdmin role, very manual and repetitive.
Lots of focus on metrics
Not buying role.

Hardworking, frugal and innovative company. More work hard than play hard.

Senior Vendor Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunity to be part of something that is growing and the pace can be very exciting. Work with very smart people daily.

ConsHardworking, nit-picking culture. Some of the work practices are very 1980s. A lot of game playing and points scoring amongst senior leadership.

Good Company - Production Operative

Production Operative (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor for more than a year

ProsCan contribute in ways that will effect business procedure.
Constant Feedback
Willing to teach you the processes
Good permanent staff

ConsNo flexible hours, the temping culture lowers moral and creates an us and them culture at times
Ideas are sometimes overlooked because of the procedure that takes place and your status on the hierarchy.
Lack of switching process can lead to a boring environment and short sighted view on some processes, this is being combated however.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more flexible hours to suit more lifestyles,

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All 2,800 reviews are posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.