Amazon.com

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,040 ratings)

2,792 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You're surrounded by smart people who challenge you to grow constantly"
    in 247 reviews
  • "Learn a lot, get insight into the best logistics company on earth"
    in 72 reviews
Cons:
  • "gt; Work Life Balance - you will work hard and long at Amazon but you will grow"
    in 395 reviews
  • "Pathetic culture-no work life balance/poor pays shares are deceiving/Extremely political"
    in 91 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Jeff Makes Billions, you eat peanuts!

Account Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsTbh I really cannot say much here, the 10% off was a pro.

ConsEverything from the fatigued dull employees to the boring overstretch interview process, long hours, bad management I could continue for a while. This place really is just a 21st century sweat shop selling items from A to Z while we rip off the UK tax payer by withholding revenue. In closing if you want to go through a laborious interview process to work in a place where most of the time you are left to yourself with little interaction go for it. Well done Jeff in creating a zoo full of idiots while making billions in the process I salute the dull opportunities you created for us silly humans.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou suck!

Obsessed with growth with no time for their people

Online Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone who works here is very bright and driven so you never need to carry anyone - they'd get fired long before that
Career progression - you can move around easily and change job functions which offers a lot of opportunity
Customer focus - they genuinely put the customer first which is rare for a company this size

ConsCulture is very stressful - most people work evenings and weekend. There's no work-life balance, even at the more junior levels.
Management are poorly trained and over-stretched.
Tools are clunky and frustrating - they don't have dedicated analysts so you have to pull your own data from multiple sources.
Too much admin at all levels - even MBAs and past consultants are given crap tasks to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time reshaping the company into what it should be 15 years down the line. Currently it's still working as a start up with dodgy hacks and patches, no policy and little structure. This can't be sustained.

Incompetent Management

Fraud Analyst (Current Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

ProsCo workers, I felt bad for some of them the way they were treated. Jeff Bezos, you suck.

ConsHigh pressure, incompetent management, crummy cafeteria, HIGH turnover rate, my manager had more face piercings in her face then skin. Quit after three weeks, never again. Just the way they treat people is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent people for management and not hippies.

Incredibly bright people, very tech driven, obsessed with growth

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsProgressive, challenging, driven, fast growing

ConsSecretive, not people driven, obsessive about data, no interest in product

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept that people are different and bring different skills, all of which are needed. More commone sense required.

Dreadful place to work- slave drivers

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIntellectually stimulating work, smart people, innovative environment

Consterrible work life balance, low pay, no learning & development opportunities, under-resourced, very low team morale based on people being overworked and constantly tired, lack of recognition. The company is growing at a tremendous rate but they do not hire enough new people to cope with the ever-increasing workload. Instead existing employees are pushed to the limit. Many staff are off frequently with headaches or other stress-related conditions.

Slough Head Office High Staff Turnover

Current Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMany new starters who think it`s great that they`ve got in through the doors of Amazon

ConsSo many people leaving. People who only started a few weeks before and many employees who`ve been there years are also leaving the uncaring atmosphere. Some staff will leave to go to other jobs but I`ve never known so many people leave to do NOTHING! They have no job to go to, they simply cant take anymore of working for Amazon and feeling like they`ve been chewed up and spat out. That says alot about a company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop this "you dont like it? We`ll find somebody else who does" attitude. You`ve lost many amazing people over the years because you treated them so badly.

Corporate Analyst at "Burn and Churn" Company SLOUGH

Finance Analyst (Former Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsGood brand on your CV
Overview of different approach to ordinary problems (Amazon way is so peculiar that your experience won't be of any utility in another corporation), this should go in the Cons!!
Initial enthusiasm
No dress code

ConsWork life balance is non - existent. The amount of work will grow with time as the Company is growing at incredible pace. Still you will have to perform to advance but also to simply keep your job. This means working long hours every day and all the weekends with the Company laptop, that all the employees have. Working smart means passing the ball that would not compromise your performance but most important you network, of course at detriment of the less connected colleagues. In this way your surviving will depend on your ability to step on the heads of the most "weak" employees, creating an awful "dog eat dog" environment. Political wars beetwen managers can last months and normally end up in the resignation of the looser and the elimination of all the looser followers. The aim of many managers seems the survival in the Company at total detriment of the efficiency of the systems, in this way, problems are left unresolved due to lack of support in the resolution until they become a case, old owners let go and new owners, more politically placed provide an adequate (or not, this is not relevant) solution. Must be a case that the majority of people leave before the 2 years of permanent employment, before the vesting of the Shares, so that the Company keeps the majority of the shares inhouse. Many people leave with no other job at hand, as mental sanity become more important than having an employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe the Company is exactly where it wants to be.

Amazon Experience

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

ProsTask Based,Open Culture and no politics

ConsHigh Pressure work environment,high stress

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on Work life balance needed

It's not perfect, but it's pretty good

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazon is a great place to learn from smart people, particularly at our remote development site. There's a lot of opportunity for motivated engineers to learn a lot about all aspects of software development and make a direct difference to the business.

ConsOpportunities for promotion or different work are limited at our remote development site. And dealing with people in other sites is a common source of stress.

Advice to Senior Management"Think big" is a core competency at Amazon. Senior management may be thinking big, but it would be nice if they shared more about the vision with us as it's not always clear.

Financial Analyst

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsGood brand name to work for.

ConsPathetic culture-no work life balance/poor pays shares are deceiving/Extremely political

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All 2,792 reviews are posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.