Amazon.com

3.3 3,279 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,284 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development(in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 125 reviews)

3,279 Employee Reviews

Burns out good people

Account Manager (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsGood brand name for your CV
    Lots of intelligent, hard-working people
    High turnover means lots of opportunities to move around

ConsNo work-life balance
    Chronically under-staffed due to attrition and poor hiring process
    Highly bureaucratic
    No training or development opportunities
    No investment in employees
    No reward for hard work - just more work to do!
    Very political culture: more about appearance than actual work so hard-workers tend to be the last to be rewarded
    Systemic bullying and back-stabbing
    Convoluted and wasteful interview process
    Convoluted and political promotion process
    Emphasis on targets rather than people management
    Very few experienced people in the company due to high turnover - no-one knows what's going on
    Unscalable systems held together with patches and workarounds
    Cheap and nasty office spaces with no recreational or "wind-down" space
    I have seen too many good people burn out here.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a decent systems infrastructure instead of hiring highly qualified people to do data inputting for 2 years under extreme pressure until they give up and leave (frequently with no job to go to).
    Invest in your staff: don't kill the golden goose! Good people are not that easy to come by and you should cherish them while you have them instead of showing them the door the minute they stop telling you what you want to hear.
    Remember that most people who work / apply for Amazon are loyal customers as well - and they may not remain that way.

management changes too often ;not always creating positive culture

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) Peterborough, England

Prospromising,secure job,business trips, a huge variety of jobs.

ConsNo bonuses for level 1 associates,management changes too often.

Advice to Senior ManagementThreat all associates respectively and equally despite role within organization

Great fast paced business

Human Resources (Former Employee)

ProsAutonomy and relative autonomy in European teams
    Pace of growth and innovation
    Opportunity to work internationally
    Do cool stuff!

ConsOld hands in the business in surprisingly senior roles - limited external experience and decision making can be chaotic
    Frugality as business value - not much team atmosphere and environment
    Pace means career progression can be limiting - EU structure has key roles in Luxembourg

Advice to Senior ManagementGive back to the teams more

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

amazon

Prosemployee focused, creative environment and fun

Conslow pay, demandincg works chedule

I have worked just over a year at Amazon now in Customer Service and I feel that you are just a robot.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe Shares and benefits you get are good if you stay 2 years and looks good on your CV. Nice to deal with customers and help them.

ConsI do not know many people who have managed to stay the 2 years at Amazon. It is a stress factory and you are not allowed to think for yourself it seems. Have to get authorisation for too many things. Supposed to be a place where the customer comes first - what about the employees I ask!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe good to your people and not treat them like they are well beneath you. For people to be productive they have to be happy. Without good employees which you do have already, you won't have a reputable organisation. I believe people are key to a business. You have to learn to appreciate them and treat them like people.

Overall good experience in the office environment, good interactions but not so good progress opportunities available.

Risk (Former Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsGood working culture, lot's of smart people, good office parties.

ConsLittle or no career progression and development available.

Advice to Senior ManagementShape up career progression and salaries for lower level staff.

Customer obsessed but no interest in its own employees! Shockingly political

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsGood brand for your CV

ConsVery political , you will get one if you are friends with the right people.
    People are stretched to the maximum and pushed to the limit. Often employees are off with migraines , stress and no one really cares about their well-being. The HR department is set up to mainly serve the leaders and not the people. Very arrogant leaders who do not care about employees but only obsess over data and numbers. Everything is done to serve the external customers and nothing is done for the hard working people. You are expected to work day and night, no work life balance and no recognition. Poor management style, this cannot be sustained. People come and go because they hate working in such an environment.

FBA Team: Unprofessional, unethical and horrible place to work, very high staff turn over due to management

FBA: Partner Buyer Manager (Basically Sales Executive ) (Former Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsThe name looks good on your CV

ConsAll about number and data, management care nothing about their employees or their welfare. You are just a number and worked to the bone, HR will do nothing for you but show you the door when you slightly slip. No compassion given for personal circumstances i.e death I family, health. False promise of career progression in all merchant services, I worked for both FBA and M@

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees and stop the false care free 'tech creative' atmosphere, stop managing staff my fear.

Merchant services/Webstore department has no opportunity for progression.

Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsAmazon brand on your resume.

ConsThere is no opportunity for progression within Merchant services. Management is not keen to see their team members to progress. No salary increments. No bonus. Share allocation taxed at US rate of 50%.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your people - more training, salary increments, opportunities for advancements.

Clever people, sociable hours, great pay

Account Executive (Current Employee) London, England

Pros- Clever people
    - Sociable hours
    - Great pay
    - Great location (central London)

Cons- Over worked
    - Not enough support from management

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!