Amazon.com

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,051 ratings)

2,812 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You're surrounded by smart people who challenge you to grow constantly"
    in 264 reviews
  • "You learn a lot about leadership principles and how to manage people"
    in 78 reviews
Cons:
  • "Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel"
    in 438 reviews
  • "Pathetic culture-no work life balance/poor pays shares are deceiving/Extremely political"
    in 100 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Cog in a machine

Packer (Current Employee)
Swansea, Wales

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a job in these hard times. Ideal for 'nazi' types - plenty of jobsworths in charge of drones.

ConsPacking in the 'Fulfillment Centre' has to be one of the worst jobs going, it's like being in a work camp - be prepared to stand (a sit down for a minute is forbidden) for 4 hours solid before the break. This break is meant to be 30 minutes BUT the queue for the security barrier - which goes off for everyone (teeth fillings?) and the long walk back to your station results in about 20 minutes. Another three and half hours standing, questioned as to where you've been if you go to the loo (where would you go as you're not allowed out?) or only being spoken to when told you need to up your speed to meet targets. There's no incentive to speed up unless you count being able to keep the job because you will be given 'points' if you fail - 3 points in a 3 month period results in a disciplinary. Then the queue to clock out and negotiate security plus the long walk to the overflow carpark adds another 20+ minutes to your day.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like human beings - no reason not to bearing in mind the money Amazon makes.

Competitive Selfish Culture

Corporate Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat brand name that is recognised globally, it's likely you'll work with some of the most driven and smart people you're likely to encounter. This in turn can rub off on you and enable you to raise your game, at a cost.

ConsAmazon has the most selfish, individualistic culture of any business I have worked for. The working environment in Slough is down right unpleasant, over-cramped and dirty offices based in a down at heel area of town. The brand name is clearly able to attract some very smart people all hoping to get on the gravy train, but as the business has grown, the culture has become less friendly. Tenured employees are not appreciated and employees in general are entirely disposable. I have never worked with so many people that will happily stab each other in the back (or front) to get ahead. There is no fostering of team spirit or taking a genuine interest in people. No-one seems to have any life outside of work or take any interest in each other as individuals. There is absolutely no investment in talent management, talent development, or CSR. I find this unbelievable in a company the size of Amazon. The HR department contains the most useless group of individuals I have encountered, who seem to do little more than help manage people out of the business.

To survive at Amazon (and that is what you'll do... survive) you have to become an unquestioning drone, happy to work all the hours and meet all the demands on earth without reward or positive feedback. I find it hilarious the one of the leadership principles is 'disagree and commit', however doing so will get your card marked. I also find it hilarious that one of Amazon's 'peculiar ways' (of which there are many), is too not come across like the corporate borg. This place is more like the corporate borg than anywhere I have worked. Regimented leadership principles that you have to adhere to. Don't let wearing casual clothes to work fool you that you'll be playing table football in your lunch hour. 1. You wont get a lunch hour because the business is too frugal (tight) to hire enough staff. 2. There is nowhere to eat your lunch other than your desk, because the deli handling nine floors of employees is tiny. 3. Should you be able to get out for lunch, you have the delights of Slough high street to contend with.

I think the thing that is most depressing, is that the business is doing extremely well in these uncertain times, and yet there is no celebration of this, no lightheartedness, no fun. Just a relentless drive for growth with people under ridiculous amounts of pressure, trampling over each other to get ahead and sticking to cliques in order to survive. It's depressing that people have to act in such a selfish manner to succeed, and depressing to think that you have to abandon your principles to stay afloat..

It is easy to get sucked into the business and try and meet the ridiculous expectations and pressure you will be placed under, but the business can suck you dry if you let it, and spit you out without a thought. There is a very unpleasant core to Amazon.

business is full of

Advice to Senior ManagementHard to say, Amazon is too smart for this to happen by accident. The business is exactly as it wants to be.

Good Company to work for overall.

FC Associate (Current Employee)
Dunfermline, Scotland

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Opportunities for Promotion
Great work atmosphere
Good pay package.

ConsToo much bickering in depts
Not enough communication
Lack of Leadership
Too many Team leads Managers in each dept. (ever heard too many cooks spoil the broth)

Advice to Senior ManagementNIp any inter departmental bickering in the bud before it affects the whole dept.
More communication is required we shouldnt have to chase up agencies they should be chasing us once we give them a querie.
Better leadership i can see improvements already but much more needed.

Only way to progress is to play the politics and have an MBA

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros- Lots of smart people
- Diverse business functions
- Amazon brand

Cons- Lack of recognition for good work
- Political
- Unrewarding
- Managers with low level of understanding of the basic business process (top down)
- Lack of team culture - can be very negative
- People 'push back', and this can end up going in circles
- Lots of ideas, without a good foundation to automate processes
- Too much whispering
- Frugality
- Slough

Advice to Senior Management- Better understanding of what the grass-root job entails
- Open communication
- Don't try to mould everyone into one personality - take pride in the dynamic workforce
- Flatter management style as opposed to hierarchical

Great company but poor career progression.

ProsGood Benefits
Good location
Good brand name to have on your CV

ConsYou need Analytical Skills to move into any area.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore beneficial to look at recruiting internally. Internal Staff may not have the industry knowledge but they do have "Amazonian" ways.

Great place to learn and grow technically

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros- Great people
- Great development environment
- Considerable latitude and flexibility accorded to engineers
- Continual "bar raising" - improve daily or fall to the side

Cons- Slough
- Only one technology department (no opportunity for horizontal transfers)
- Other than internal turnover within existing groups, there is little sense that Amazon is interested in growing or investing in UK- or EU-based engineering teams

Stepping stone into retail

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDynamic
Fast Moving
Interesting and exciting at times
Passionate people - at first or when they're being advanced in their careers

ConsChurn and burn
"If you don't like the pace - go and find a new job"
Everyone's expendable, they'll just replace you
Expect you to do two people's work, for the salary you earn - reluctant to bring in support to manage workload

Advice to Senior ManagementLead effectively as Mr Bezos intended
Bring managers in who can lead
Don't burn people out
Value Employees - walk the walk don't just talk the talk

only if you are young

Inventory (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Amazon.com

Prosonly for career starters, if you are young, fresh from school, want to be surrounded with like minded careless wannabees

Conschaotic, lots of improvising and ms communication, office games and politics, unnecessary attitude, lack of seriousness and taking ownership, lack of support

Advice to Senior Managementtreat people with respect, acknowledge achievements, don't be scared of innovation ideas and the success of others, utilize obvious talent

A job to fill the gap between other jobs, but nothing more.

FC Associate (Current Employee)
Glenrothes, Scotland

I have been working at Amazon.com

Prosgood, friendly people to work with

Consthe pay is poor, opportunities for promotion are minimal, treatment of staff by upper management is poor.

Advice to Senior Managementrespect the employees more.

Great company to work for...

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com

ProsThere is a tremendous pool of talent working for Amazon. Anyone joining the company will be able to make a contribution from day one, while being able to take on responsibility early on. The opportunities for personal development are many.

ConsThe base pay isnt great. The share package seems attractive, however, you salary increases and incremental share grants take into the account the shares which you have already been issued, so in reality, there is no upside if the share price outperforms.

Advice to Senior ManagementAmazon UK is doing really well, keep doing a great job. Make sure you pay your staff in a manner which reflects the unfortunately location.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All 2,812 reviews are posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.