Amazon.com

3.3 3,271 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,280 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development(in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 125 reviews)

3,271 Employee Reviews

Amazon.co.uk

Problem Solver Tier II (Current Employee) Dunfermline, Scotland

ProsWork hard and get paid.

ConsStandard work will wipe your brain off in 10 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink big of the employees not profits and customers only. Time to get more centeralized approach to recruitment , learning and development rather than local FC based.

Slough Head Office High Staff Turnover

Current Employee (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsMany new starters who think it`s great that they`ve got in through the doors of Amazon

ConsSo many people leaving. People who only started a few weeks before and many employees who`ve been there years are also leaving the uncaring atmosphere. Some staff will leave to go to other jobs but I`ve never known so many people leave to do NOTHING! They have no job to go to, they simply cant take anymore of working for Amazon and feeling like they`ve been chewed up and spat out. That says alot about a company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop this "you dont like it? We`ll find somebody else who does" attitude. You`ve lost many amazing people over the years because you treated them so badly.

Corporate Analyst at "Burn and Churn" Company SLOUGH

Finance Analyst (Former Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsGood brand on your CV
    Overview of different approach to ordinary problems (Amazon way is so peculiar that your experience won't be of any utility in another corporation), this should go in the Cons!!
    Initial enthusiasm
    No dress code

ConsWork life balance is non - existent. The amount of work will grow with time as the Company is growing at incredible pace. Still you will have to perform to advance but also to simply keep your job. This means working long hours every day and all the weekends with the Company laptop, that all the employees have. Working smart means passing the ball that would not compromise your performance but most important you network, of course at detriment of the less connected colleagues. In this way your surviving will depend on your ability to step on the heads of the most "weak" employees, creating an awful "dog eat dog" environment. Political wars beetwen managers can last months and normally end up in the resignation of the looser and the elimination of all the looser followers. The aim of many managers seems the survival in the Company at total detriment of the efficiency of the systems, in this way, problems are left unresolved due to lack of support in the resolution until they become a case, old owners let go and new owners, more politically placed provide an adequate (or not, this is not relevant) solution. Must be a case that the majority of people leave before the 2 years of permanent employment, before the vesting of the Shares, so that the Company keeps the majority of the shares inhouse. Many people leave with no other job at hand, as mental sanity become more important than having an employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe the Company is exactly where it wants to be.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazon Experience

ProsTask Based,Open Culture and no politics

ConsHigh Pressure work environment,high stress

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on Work life balance needed

Financial Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsGood brand name to work for.

ConsPathetic culture-no work life balance/poor pays shares are deceiving/Extremely political

Intelligent people, friendly enviroment

Product Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsEmployees are empowered to make important decisions, it did not feel political, decisions acted on quickly and performance is measured objectively. Good career prospects

ConsAt least the UK offices are UGLY and they make no effort at all to improve them.
    Pay is just barely in the market range.
    Overall very frugal.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a point on diminishing returns when saving money is more expensive than spending it. Example if a decision gets delayed because it is hard to get travel approval.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty good

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsAmazon is a great place to learn from smart people, particularly at our remote development site. There's a lot of opportunity for motivated engineers to learn a lot about all aspects of software development and make a direct difference to the business.

ConsOpportunities for promotion or different work are limited at our remote development site. And dealing with people in other sites is a common source of stress.

Advice to Senior Management"Think big" is a core competency at Amazon. Senior management may be thinking big, but it would be nice if they shared more about the vision with us as it's not always clear.

brilliant technology company, could do better in keeping and developing talent

Prosawesome technology company at leading edge of cloud computing

Conslow career progression, odd style of management, poor compensation

Great and exciting place to work!

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsA very strongly shared culture and ethos, great growth potential for the company and personally.
    A matrix organisation where you you can move between roles and teams based on merit and success rather than your CV.

ConsNot many people are going to say "thank you" or "well done", you've got to take all the praise you can when you can!

Does not hesitate to over-work employees...

Database Administrator (Current Employee) London, England

Pros- Smart people all around keeping you on toes.
    - Culture of thinking out of box.
    - Tough milestones to achieve promotions ... extracts the best out of the employees.
    - A transparent internal job transfer to suit an employee's choice.

Cons- pathetic work-life balance.
    - in the name of frugality , they do some cheap and mean things like choose a facility in the remotest corner of the city where facilities are cheap.
    - the job offer letter misleads almost every employee...in the sense that the stocks given to an employee is considered every year during appraisal and the increment in salary will be in inverse proportion of stocks vested, so if lots of stocks gets vested , the company won't give you much hike even if you are a top performer.
    - Hard to get recognized for good-work but fast enough to get criticized for an error.
    - Have a history of Lay-off at trifle error.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn employee's work ownership does not make the employee a work-horse which can keep running without any pause. Learn to recognize key employee and try to make them happy , after all they are the ones which keeps your company alive.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!