Amazon.com

3,934 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,664 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

good working environment

Current Employee - Finance in London, England
    Current Employee - Finance in London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

professional, clean, nice, high tech, fun

Cons

none, nones, no, nothing, noway

Employees are 2nd class citizens

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazon is an "Amaz" in Amazing when it comes to being innovative, creative, and customer-centric. They are certainly on the path to greatness, the likes of a Google or a Facebook
    The stock prices are increasing, which only make your stock options, if you have any, much more valuable

Cons

One problem with this program is that the only people Amazon does not take it's "customer obsession" value on is its employees
    The internal ongoing joke here at Amazon is that you don't find any "gold badges" (indicating someone has worked here 10+ years) in senior positions. Basically, the idea is that Amazon rewards employees' loyalty and dedication with ceremonies and awards rather than promotions or pay increases. It prefers to hire externally to fill positions than to promote internally
    Finally, the work hours are apalling. "The sun never sets on Amazon" partially because we have offices everywhere, but partially because we often put in 10, 12, or even 14 hour days. This week, my floor had at least 10+ employees still in the office past 12am every day, plus Saturday & Sunday - somewhere in the area of 80 hours per week. Fortunately for the ecommerce giant, we've all signed clauses to opt out of the 48-hour work week, so they are legally in the right. But how they treat their own kind never felt so wrong.

Instead of crunching numbers to figure out how you can squeeze more out of each employee until they are tired, depressed, and defeated. try to live by your own standards and apply the "customer obsession" leadership principle to one of your most important customer base: the employees that make you.

Encourage/cultivate positive behavior rather than punishing and ridiculing people for the tiniest infringement.

Bureacratic blockers are going to be the biggest downfalls of this organization. If it takes 4 meetings and a 6-page document to get a simple plan put into action, the wheels of the machine stop moving. And that not only stops us from being flexible, adaptable, and competitive, it's downright frustrating.

And finally: PROMOTE INTERNAL GROWTH. I can't stress this enough. There are manager and director-level people in this org with 5-10 years of experience who can be making great careers elsewhere. Rather than risk losing those people by hiring externally, promote internally.

My placement at Amazon was overall positive as I got to learn a lot from my experienced and helpful colleagues.

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in London, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in London, England

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Colleagues are knowledgeable and good at what they do since the bar is quite high to get in. People are friendly and helpful. Also, workload is adequate so there is always something to do but not ridiculously much.

Cons

Pay is ok but not too good.

Managers could give more attention to the developers in terms of having discussions about personal growth, career options etc.

Amazon UK!

Current Employee - Associate Partner Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Partner Manager in London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Expanding company, opportunities to see many sides of the business
    - There is a focus on ownership and bias for action, meaning you have the freedom to come up with an idea, build a business case and drive that idea to success
    - Great range of very smart people, great opportunity to learn and develop through them

Cons

- Not much formal training/ development offered
    - Slow promotion process. Have to be in the company for at least 18 months.

Powerless to their will....

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Doncaster, England
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Doncaster, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are okay (if you are a permanent worker). Amazon is going anywhere soon so there is some job security ( There are chances to progress and learn new skills, however most of them don't offer any extra pay. The amount of holiday hours i get per year is very good.

Cons

It seems managment is valued highly and the lower-level workers are just numbers and are unimportant as they can be easily replaced.

They don't believe you when you are off sick. I had a fever and left early (the first time i have ever gone home early due to sickness in 3 years) on a Friday, which angered my manager. He said he would look back and see if there was a pattern of my going home on fridays so i could have a long weekend.

around Christmas they make you do compulsory overtime (up to 50-60 hours per week) and you have no say which days you do. I'm due to work 108 hours in the next 12 days.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great work environment, nice people

Cons

internal growth is little slow

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SVS

Current Employee - SVS in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Current Employee - SVS in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, expanding company, entrepreneurial company. Best company i've worked for

Cons

Never stops--- but that's also part of the fun

Very hard work but valuable learning experience

Current Employee - Corporate Function in London, England
    Current Employee - Corporate Function in London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fantastic brand to have on CV
    - Opportunity to develop products/services that will be used by tens of millions of customers
    - Working with bright and capable colleages

Cons

- Salary below market average and total reward highly dependent on Amazon stock price.
    - Portfolio of diverse businesses - ranging from Retail to Cloud Computing to Movie Studio - with the culture highly dependent on the VP's personality. You might get a VP who is a good leader but a bad VP impacts the whole of the business.
    - Promotion difficult and relies heavily on self-promotion - can encourage unhealthy competition rather than collaboration amongst colleagues.

What made Amazon successful in the past isn't necessarily what is going to make it successful in the future. Be prepared to adapt existing management practices/rituals to avoid becoming overly bureaucratic. In particular, the high volume of management reporting (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual business reviews) and associated meetings is time-consuming and can be demoralising. These meetings are a means to an end rather than the end itself.

Incredibly unpleasant experience. Avoid like the plague

Former Employee - Kindle in London, England
    Former Employee - Kindle in London, England

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Well paid
    Genuinely cannot think of any more pros

Cons

Work life balance
    Systems that would frequently fail
    No communication between teams
    Unsupportive management, I had a line manager who would openly berate and insult me on an open floor office
    Minimal training, thrown in at the deep end with little to no assistance
    Understaffed, workload distributed unevenly between staff

Train line managers in how to treat employees with respect
    Hire more staff for big projects

Good college experience gained from working at Amazon. Got to meet some really good engineers to have as role models.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Access to world scale data. Particularly interesting if you are into stuff like large distributed systems or machine learning.

Cons

Frugality is one of the core values at Amazon. Things can be not so organised at times.