Amazon.com

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,055 ratings)

2,819 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You're surrounded by smart people who challenge you to grow constantly"
    in 264 reviews
  • "You learn a lot about leadership principles and how to manage people"
    in 78 reviews
Cons:
  • "Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel"
    in 438 reviews
  • "Pathetic culture-no work life balance/poor pays shares are deceiving/Extremely political"
    in 100 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hard but productive work

Software Development Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGet to impact a lot of customers on a regular basis, work with smart people, solve complex issues.

ConsThe work life balance need to be fixed in the London Development Centre, its running at an unsustainable pace at the moment

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the quality of what gets produced.

insider review

Operations (Current Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

ProsAmazing place to learn about operations

ConsNoise about HR practices. People use to complain in some cities

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on HR practices

Great "we want you to be happy" business for customers; frugal, "love it or hate it" for employees

Senior Vendor Manager (Former Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros* Very strong focus on the customer (great but can be frustrating at times).
* Great business model and everyone knows the brand.
* Flat structure, no micromanaging / you are given a lot of ownership.
* Reasonable pay (esp. given the work you are doing - see below)
* Opportunity to cycle roles / departments every 18-24 months to keep developing / learning.

Cons* Amazon in the UK is a retail company rather than a tech company (don't fool yourself into thinking it's like Google or has a start-up mentality)
* VERY frugal business model e.g. horrible office in Slough and few meeting rooms which means (embarrassingly) you have to conduct external meetings in the cafeteria!
* It seems the US office has all the perks.
* Culture is real "love or hate" - generally quite bureaucratic and political. Very high churn - At interview, it was mentioned by different people repeatedly that people either stay for six months or 10 years (I stayed less than a year, although I know people who absolutely love it there - maybe the person you are or the department you work for?).
* Amazon operates a lean operating model, heavily reliant on systems and managers have no juniors.
* Real mix of people - some nice and hard-working but quite a few "coasting" doing the bare minimum which can mean it is difficult if you want to achieve and get things done and a few very incompetent / unpleasant / aggressive personalities that have been there for years and will never leave.
* Flat structure, which means that you can move sideways but difficult to get promoted / grow. Titles are essentially meaningless and misleading (you are responsible for entire role / no delegation so you spend all your time fire-fighting and little time (if any) growing the business. Senior Vendor Manager = buyer in any other retail organisation).
* No one seems to care how well you do and it has no effect on compensation. That, plus difficult environment (flat, political) for promotion means a poor incentive to work hard.
* Work is very systems / data-driven and can be extremely mundane (e.g. answering customer complaint cases (like back and forth supplier to Amazon customer care employee to supplier to customer care employee etc etc) .
* You're dumped in the deep end with a very sharp learning curve and no formal training other than you're expected to pick things up yourself or by asking people who have been there longer than you - would be fine ordinarily but there is no explanation of what you are actually meant to be doing (!!) and far too many systems with no explanations of how they work - No one takes accountability for new hires. Massively inefficient.
* Takes about 3 months to master a role and then mundane work for the rest of your time in that position. If you really want to work there and want to get ahead, try to get into a growing area otherwise you're forgotten / it's more of a caretaker role...

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you treat your customers?

Work hard and improve everyday

Process Manager (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat compensation and perks. great opportunities if you have the drive

ConsLong hours and that's the big challenge for work life balance.

Employee empowerment

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

ProsEmployee empowerment, culture of continuous improvement visible in every aspect of the company, ample opportunities to improve the existing systems and processes. Power is in the data.

ConsOne has to be extra careful in managing work - life balance. Getting used to the amazon way of doing things might be a little daunting for a fresh starter. Compensation is not the best at all levels.

good job

I have been working at Amazon.com

Prosgood pay and good job

Consthere is none at amazon

Burns out good people

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsGood brand name for your CV
Lots of intelligent, hard-working people
High turnover means lots of opportunities to move around

ConsNo work-life balance
Chronically under-staffed due to attrition and poor hiring process
Highly bureaucratic
No training or development opportunities
No investment in employees
No reward for hard work - just more work to do!
Very political culture: more about appearance than actual work so hard-workers tend to be the last to be rewarded
Systemic bullying and back-stabbing
Convoluted and wasteful interview process
Convoluted and political promotion process
Emphasis on targets rather than people management
Very few experienced people in the company due to high turnover - no-one knows what's going on
Unscalable systems held together with patches and workarounds
Cheap and nasty office spaces with no recreational or "wind-down" space
I have seen too many good people burn out here.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a decent systems infrastructure instead of hiring highly qualified people to do data inputting for 2 years under extreme pressure until they give up and leave (frequently with no job to go to).
Invest in your staff: don't kill the golden goose! Good people are not that easy to come by and you should cherish them while you have them instead of showing them the door the minute they stop telling you what you want to hear.
Remember that most people who work / apply for Amazon are loyal customers as well - and they may not remain that way.

Great fast paced business

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAutonomy and relative autonomy in European teams
Pace of growth and innovation
Opportunity to work internationally
Do cool stuff!

ConsOld hands in the business in surprisingly senior roles - limited external experience and decision making can be chaotic
Frugality as business value - not much team atmosphere and environment
Pace means career progression can be limiting - EU structure has key roles in Luxembourg

Advice to Senior ManagementGive back to the teams more

management changes too often ;not always creating positive culture

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)
Peterborough, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Prospromising,secure job,business trips, a huge variety of jobs.

ConsNo bonuses for level 1 associates,management changes too often.

Advice to Senior ManagementThreat all associates respectively and equally despite role within organization

amazon

I have been working at Amazon.com

Prosemployee focused, creative environment and fun

Conslow pay, demandincg works chedule

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All 2,819 reviews are posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.