Amazon.com

SVS

Current Employee - SVS in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Current Employee - SVS in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, expanding company, entrepreneurial company. Best company i've worked for

Cons

Never stops--- but that's also part of the fun

Incredibly unpleasant experience. Avoid like the plague

Former Employee - Kindle in London, England
    Former Employee - Kindle in London, England

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Well paid
    Genuinely cannot think of any more pros

Cons

Work life balance
    Systems that would frequently fail
    No communication between teams
    Unsupportive management, I had a line manager who would openly berate and insult me on an open floor office
    Minimal training, thrown in at the deep end with little to no assistance
    Understaffed, workload distributed unevenly between staff

Train line managers in how to treat employees with respect
    Hire more staff for big projects

Powerless to their will....

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Doncaster, England
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Doncaster, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are okay (if you are a permanent worker). Amazon is going anywhere soon so there is some job security ( There are chances to progress and learn new skills, however most of them don't offer any extra pay. The amount of holiday hours i get per year is very good.

Cons

It seems managment is valued highly and the lower-level workers are just numbers and are unimportant as they can be easily replaced.

They don't believe you when you are off sick. I had a fever and left early (the first time i have ever gone home early due to sickness in 3 years) on a Friday, which angered my manager. He said he would look back and see if there was a pattern of my going home on fridays so i could have a long weekend.

around Christmas they make you do compulsory overtime (up to 50-60 hours per week) and you have no say which days you do. I'm due to work 108 hours in the next 12 days.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great work environment, nice people

Cons

internal growth is little slow

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Good for some, others not so lucky

Former Employee - IT Support (Fulfilment Centre)
    Former Employee - IT Support (Fulfilment Centre)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

Pay is good if you're in the right roles - Higher technical and management roles at least, some opportunity for travel in key roles. Share options aren't too bad.

Cons

If you are good at what you do and can follow the company line then you will do well, unfortunately in terms of IT in the warehouse part of the company don't expect to get a lot of technical work or opportunities for growth - far too many operational meetings that will destroy your soul. The Operations team is GOD which is understandable but other departments always come second even if their work actually supports the day to day operations. Expect lots of last minute projects that have to be delivered yesterday only to find most aren't used by Operations for months - begging the question of why the rush.

Give support departments more respect for the work and advice that they give, Customers are what is important but the staff are the ones that make your company work, they need love too.

ok

Current Employee - FC Associate in Rugeley, England
    Current Employee - FC Associate in Rugeley, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good pay. Lots of walking

Cons

strict on points and favouritsim

listen more

Employees are customers too Jeff

Current Employee - Product Manager III in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very strong brand name, Amazon continues to innovate and its exciting to be part of a business that continues to grow quickly, and to be reinvesting in the business and releasing new products. I can honestly say that I have worked with the smartest people in my career at Amazon, which encourages me to raise my game. Strong leadership principles that provide clarity on how to get things done in the business.

Cons

A word of warning if you are a parent or have obligations away from the work place that you need/would like to also find time for. Amazon expects your full commitment- there are many reviews on here of people calling out appalling work/life balance- so pay heed to these. There have been so many instances I have seen of employees on sick leave through stress and anxiety, with little attention paid to why and to integrate these back into the business or provide the appropriate support. Amazon is a burn out mill that requires your full focus, so perfect for those who need validation in their lives from a work perspective, but awful for those who don't. Very frugal environment with extremely lean teams- pretty typical for most individuals to be doing 2 roles at once. Business continues to grow but is an increasing concern that any revenues achieved through growth don't seem to feed back to the employee.

Senior management attitude is to focus on things that go wrong- never any call outs for what has gone well. Depressing attitude to take in a business that demands so much from employees. Amazon gets data, doesn't get people or how to encourage a positive collegiate culture. Lots of new naive MBA's that the business can suck dry. Very high turnover of staff- people leave/disappear and are never heard of again.

The only people I would recommend Amazon to are those who are willing to completely throw themselves 100% into their career for a few years to get experience and the name on their CV- even then you need to be very careful about what you take on board- the business will suck the life out of you if you let it.

Recognize that all employees are also customers. If the business is customer obsessed- it should also be employee obsessed. Think about what you are building from an employment perspective- what responsibility you have to the 1000's of staff who are working themselves to the bone to make you a success.

Good college experience gained from working at Amazon. Got to meet some really good engineers to have as role models.

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Access to world scale data. Particularly interesting if you are into stuff like large distributed systems or machine learning.

Cons

Frugality is one of the core values at Amazon. Things can be not so organised at times.

huge machine, smart and hardworking people

Current Contractor - INSTOCK in London, England
    Current Contractor - INSTOCK in London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

people are lovely, willing to teach and bright.
    work is interesting, has a lot of systems that can be helpful, able to work with a lot of data
    work-life balance is quite good and flexible

Cons

disorganised, frantic. too busy fighting fires rather than thinking strategically. poor recruiting and onboarding process - little or no contact, very self service, kind of like a big start up still, perks are not great either.

Lots of work, tons of rewards

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great exposure, volume and variety of work. Strong desire to compete and deliver results which helps morale if you're driven and ambitious. Plenty of training options and as long as you can justify what your plans are with data, they'll support you with more experimental projects.

Cons

Volume of work. Pay isn't the best. There can sometimes be a disconnect or 'veiled' gap between management and employees.

Open up - share and trust your company's driving force.