Amazon.com

3.3 3,302 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,299 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights
3,302 Employee Reviews

Great company but work-life balance needs to be seriously looked at

Cs MANAGER (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsGet to work with some real smart and focused people that you can learn from. Great opportunity if you work hard. Opportunity to travel if you work hard and are in a role where travel may be needed. Proud to work for such an innovative company.

ConsToo political and management play favourites. If you are "in" with the "in crowd" then you will be looked after. Senior management don't know what is happening in the front line, they think they do but are too far away from what people think. Year over year AIS and/or Pulse survey bring up the same failings but work done to fix issues is never fully implemented, this becomes frustrating and demoralising. Lack of or insufficient training in all roles I was invovled in.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out to the leads and managers if you are looking to improve the CSA experience, engage them fully throughout processes and any change. Communicate everything better and be more transparent. Do not tolerate favouritism and cliques.

Great being a customer, terrible being an employee

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) Milton Keynes, England

ProsMinimal, Good brand on your CV.

ConsExpectation to work all hours of the day - way beyond the norm of reasonable. People were expected to work evenings, weekends, whilst on holidays etc. I also agree with another review that mentioned about the rapid growth - whilst existing employees were expected to suck up the double or triple workload this created.
    I understand the values - but they took frugality to another level. I have never worked anywhere quite so shabby, it made me depressed walking into the office every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow your own advice - you claim to be customer centric - what about thinking about the employees in that every now and then?

Good Company - Production Operative

Production Operative (Former Employee)

ProsCan contribute in ways that will effect business procedure.
    Constant Feedback
    Willing to teach you the processes
    Good permanent staff

ConsNo flexible hours, the temping culture lowers moral and creates an us and them culture at times
    Ideas are sometimes overlooked because of the procedure that takes place and your status on the hierarchy.
    Lack of switching process can lead to a boring environment and short sighted view on some processes, this is being combated however.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more flexible hours to suit more lifestyles,

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Vendor Manager

Associate Vendor Manager (Former Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsExposure to variety of different vendors and industry practices

ConsAdmin role, very manual and repetitive.
    Lots of focus on metrics
    Not buying role.

Hardworking, frugal and innovative company. More work hard than play hard.

Senior Vendor Manager (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsOpportunity to be part of something that is growing and the pace can be very exciting. Work with very smart people daily.

ConsHardworking, nit-picking culture. Some of the work practices are very 1980s. A lot of game playing and points scoring amongst senior leadership.

Very well respected company, with strong values.

Programmer Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsFast paced environment, with lots going on in several country. Think for yourself and self-service attitude.

ConsHelp is not always at hand when you need it, due to the self-service attitude. Workforce spread over several countries can make meetings difficult.

Jeff Makes Billions, you eat peanuts!

Account Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsTbh I really cannot say much here, the 10% off was a pro.

ConsEverything from the fatigued dull employees to the boring overstretch interview process, long hours, bad management I could continue for a while. This place really is just a 21st century sweat shop selling items from A to Z while we rip off the UK tax payer by withholding revenue. In closing if you want to go through a laborious interview process to work in a place where most of the time you are left to yourself with little interaction go for it. Well done Jeff in creating a zoo full of idiots while making billions in the process I salute the dull opportunities you created for us silly humans.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou suck!

Obsessed with growth with no time for their people

Online Marketing (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsEveryone who works here is very bright and driven so you never need to carry anyone - they'd get fired long before that
    Career progression - you can move around easily and change job functions which offers a lot of opportunity
    Customer focus - they genuinely put the customer first which is rare for a company this size

ConsCulture is very stressful - most people work evenings and weekend. There's no work-life balance, even at the more junior levels.
    Management are poorly trained and over-stretched.
    Tools are clunky and frustrating - they don't have dedicated analysts so you have to pull your own data from multiple sources.
    Too much admin at all levels - even MBAs and past consultants are given crap tasks to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time reshaping the company into what it should be 15 years down the line. Currently it's still working as a start up with dodgy hacks and patches, no policy and little structure. This can't be sustained.

Incredibly bright people, very tech driven, obsessed with growth

Director (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsProgressive, challenging, driven, fast growing

ConsSecretive, not people driven, obsessive about data, no interest in product

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept that people are different and bring different skills, all of which are needed. More commone sense required.

Incompetent Management

Fraud Analyst (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsCo workers, I felt bad for some of them the way they were treated. Jeff Bezos, you suck.

ConsHigh pressure, incompetent management, crummy cafeteria, HIGH turnover rate, my manager had more face piercings in her face then skin. Quit after three weeks, never again. Just the way they treat people is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent people for management and not hippies.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!