Amazon.com

3,836 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,611 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 115 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 340 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 616 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

Associate Vendor Manager

Former Employee - Associate Vendor Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to variety of different vendors and industry practices

Cons

Admin role, very manual and repetitive.
    Lots of focus on metrics
    Not buying role.

Hardworking, frugal and innovative company. More work hard than play hard.

Current Employee - Senior Vendor Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to be part of something that is growing and the pace can be very exciting. Work with very smart people daily.

Cons

Hardworking, nit-picking culture. Some of the work practices are very 1980s. A lot of game playing and points scoring amongst senior leadership.

Great being a customer, terrible being an employee

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Minimal, Good brand on your CV.

Cons

Expectation to work all hours of the day - way beyond the norm of reasonable. People were expected to work evenings, weekends, whilst on holidays etc. I also agree with another review that mentioned about the rapid growth - whilst existing employees were expected to suck up the double or triple workload this created.
    I understand the values - but they took frugality to another level. I have never worked anywhere quite so shabby, it made me depressed walking into the office every day.

Follow your own advice - you claim to be customer centric - what about thinking about the employees in that every now and then?

Good Company - Production Operative

Former Employee - Production Operative
    Former Employee - Production Operative

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Can contribute in ways that will effect business procedure.
    Constant Feedback
    Willing to teach you the processes
    Good permanent staff

Cons

No flexible hours, the temping culture lowers moral and creates an us and them culture at times
    Ideas are sometimes overlooked because of the procedure that takes place and your status on the hierarchy.
    Lack of switching process can lead to a boring environment and short sighted view on some processes, this is being combated however.

Have more flexible hours to suit more lifestyles,

Very well respected company, with strong values.

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Programmer Manager in London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced environment, with lots going on in several country. Think for yourself and self-service attitude.

Cons

Help is not always at hand when you need it, due to the self-service attitude. Workforce spread over several countries can make meetings difficult.

Obsessed with growth with no time for their people

Current Employee - Online Marketing in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone who works here is very bright and driven so you never need to carry anyone - they'd get fired long before that
    Career progression - you can move around easily and change job functions which offers a lot of opportunity
    Customer focus - they genuinely put the customer first which is rare for a company this size

Cons

Culture is very stressful - most people work evenings and weekend. There's no work-life balance, even at the more junior levels.
    Management are poorly trained and over-stretched.
    Tools are clunky and frustrating - they don't have dedicated analysts so you have to pull your own data from multiple sources.
    Too much admin at all levels - even MBAs and past consultants are given crap tasks to do.

Spend some time reshaping the company into what it should be 15 years down the line. Currently it's still working as a start up with dodgy hacks and patches, no policy and little structure. This can't be sustained.

Jeff Makes Billions, you eat peanuts!

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tbh I really cannot say much here, the 10% off was a pro.

Cons

Everything from the fatigued dull employees to the boring overstretch interview process, long hours, bad management I could continue for a while. This place really is just a 21st century sweat shop selling items from A to Z while we rip off the UK tax payer by withholding revenue. In closing if you want to go through a laborious interview process to work in a place where most of the time you are left to yourself with little interaction go for it. Well done Jeff in creating a zoo full of idiots while making billions in the process I salute the dull opportunities you created for us silly humans.

You suck!

Incredibly bright people, very tech driven, obsessed with growth

Current Employee - Director in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Director in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Progressive, challenging, driven, fast growing

Cons

Secretive, not people driven, obsessive about data, no interest in product

Accept that people are different and bring different skills, all of which are needed. More commone sense required.

Dreadful place to work- slave drivers

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Intellectually stimulating work, smart people, innovative environment

Cons

terrible work life balance, low pay, no learning & development opportunities, under-resourced, very low team morale based on people being overworked and constantly tired, lack of recognition. The company is growing at a tremendous rate but they do not hire enough new people to cope with the ever-increasing workload. Instead existing employees are pushed to the limit. Many staff are off frequently with headaches or other stress-related conditions.

Incompetent Management

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co workers, I felt bad for some of them the way they were treated. Jeff Bezos, you suck.

Cons

High pressure, incompetent management, crummy cafeteria, HIGH turnover rate, my manager had more face piercings in her face then skin. Quit after three weeks, never again. Just the way they treat people is terrible.

Hire competent people for management and not hippies.