Amdocs

Amdocs Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Amdocs President, CEO, and Director Eli Gelman

Eli Gelman

Pros:
  • "Very Satisfied with work life Balance and quality of work"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Work culture is very good, learn technical stuff"
    in 57 reviews
Cons:
  • "work-life balance as one of Amdocs' goals); no feeling of team work or appreciation"
    in 86 reviews
  • "In the Delivery division there is no Work life balance (mostly no life)"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very Satisfied

Test Manager (Current Employee)
Newbury, England

ProsVery Satisfied with work life Balance and quality of work

ConsNothing i cna think of

Advice to Senior ManagementVery Satisfied

Bureaucracy Gone Mad

Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company is very strong financially so therefore able to weather downturns and inject cash when needed.

ConsLittle career growth for those who would like to remain technical.
Highly bureaucratic so getting anything achieved has to pass through many layers of management.
Little empowerment with any decision having to pass through those above you.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower and trust people to make decisions and therefore work in an agile manner
Listen to what staff have to say. Some are experts in their field and their opinions are credible.

Avoid Like the Plague

Senior Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI honestly cant think of any

ConsCompany has a hard working culture just don't expect overtime or standby payments for all your hard work. The yearly bonus is derisory and apparently arbitrarily allotted.
You won't get any thanks, or training, or career progression or indeed any interest in your well being; work/life balance is non existent.
Management style is, stereotypically, about what you'd expect for an Israeli company and largely involves being shouted at.
Staff scuttlebutt has is that you need to be Jewish to get on at Amdocs; sadly this really does appear to be true.
You'll be working on an outdated, proprietary software stack so even if you can convince someone to teach it too you (harder than it sounds), then it's absolutely no use anywhere but Amdocs.
Based on previous examples redundancy is going to be statutory minimum so it's not worth waiting for that either.
I'd have rated them lower than 1 if this site allowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps try treating the goy as human beings?

Overall a good company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amdocs

ProsShort term frequent Onsite travel to Israel, US and other locations.

ConsManagement... Favoritism and politics exist on a large scale.

One word: Kafakesque

I have been working at Amdocs full-time

ProsThey pay money. I like money. Since I've been there a long time it's fairly comfortable.. they do all the usual benefits, and some managers make an effort to try and keep people happy.

ConsThere seems to be a biannual rotation of senior managers who don't seem bothered with what the division does. Actually getting new development approved is near impossible unless a customer has already signed up money for it, so you are always behind the curve. Cost cutting on things like hardware is just insane. There is a management emphasis on working weekends even when there is no work to do, it just seems like a reflex. There is zero sense of direction or development, there is no desire to be the best or take on competitors from the management, presumably because these things are not in their control.

Promotions are slightly less frequent than blue moons.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like cowards and show some actual vision.,

Management run Amok

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBasic salary is fine.
Conservative financial management with large cash reserves, means company doesn't have to be reactionary to minor blips and issues.

ConsHorrifically bureaucratic with process out-weighing function in every aspect.
Technical ability/innovation completely unvalued both for the people with it and those trying to gain it.
Very Israeli-centric
No respect for work-life balance. I accept that occasionally in IT there will be 'crunch' times, but this is ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify the core people that produce things that customers actually pay you for.
Shed 2/3 of the rest of the company. If you're in doubt as to what to retain, ask the people actually delivering what support they need and retain those that give it or try to. You're currently paying people to hinder them and just letting the excellent people resign and walk away. Basically you might have noticed top->down isn't working, so how about trying it the other way.

When things go wrong, dive right down to the bottom to understand why and fix the issues (or not, it's your company). Please, don't just shuffle interchangeable managers/departments around every year and wonder why nothing improves. It's insulting to me and makes you look foolish to us.

Hard work!

Consulting Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFreedom to do whatever you want. Can take on any role. Good exposure to Telecoms. Challenging environment with opportunity to learn on the job

ConsDon't expect any reward even when you bring in new business! Too many divisions. Hard work but need to be self motivated to survive. Don't expect any in house training!

Advice to Senior ManagementThink globally

Bureaucracy gone mad

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent salary to start with, but most likely because that's what I had when Amdocs bought the company I worked for. It certainly hasn't kept pace with inflation.
Stable company with good bottom line - although I have no idea how the company makes money.

ConsBureaucracy gone mad, my sense of accomplishment as a developer is in achieving anything - despite the best efforts of processes and procedures to stop me.

A very arrogant 'not invented here' attitude when it comes to development tools. Hugely insistent on customising tools - and then stuffing them up completely in the process. Xtra-C - I'm talking about you.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce management layers. Developers are vastly outnumbers by managers.

Senior Subject Matter Expert role job in Amdocs

Senior Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee)
Bath, England

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than a year

ProsLot of learning opportunity in latest tehnology.Good pay structure and lot of travel opportunity for people who like to work in different places.

ConsLot of work and project pressure all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance in most of the projects is not upto the industry standard.

Big projects, interesting and diverse workplace, but you're just a little cog in the machine

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Amdocs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorkplace with lots of diversity, projects with a great business value
Work with people in international locations (India, Israel, UK, Ireland)

ConsBudget-driven; projects stopped brutally because of a change of strategy
Hard to grow technically, pushed into managing offshore projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop offshoring everything; listen more to developers about their day to day struggles; allow innovation to come from the base

Worked for Amdocs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amdocs reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Amdocs CEO Eli Gelman. All 681 reviews are posted anonymously by Amdocs employees.