Ameren

Add Photos

Ameren President, CEO, and Director Thomas R. Voss

Thomas R. Voss

Great Pay, but stressful

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany Values, Co-workers, Salary, Benefits, leadership changes have made it a better more diverse and fair, place to work...enjoyed helping customers understand the company and their services. perks all the time, awesome work environment. parties food days...etc

ConsWork-Life balance, with forced Overtime, was hard to plan for family, social, or other events outside of normal work hours. There is very little room for promotion, you may get opportunities to be apart different team or aspects of customer service but upward mobility is very competitive

Human Resources filled with managers with no bench strength.

Human Resource Associate (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits, vacation and pension are excellent. I would recommend to a friend based on compensation and benefits only. Wasn't enough for me to stay.

ConsManagement in HR more concerned with their "titles" than what they produce. Inconsistent hiring practices. The on-boarding processes are unprofessional -- no one can answer questions related to benefits or other employee perks.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlim down the layers of management. Also, get industry leaders in HR that know fair hiring and will model it. Modernize hiring and interview techniques. Hire more support staff!

Good company but far from being an Industry Leader.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery good health benefits, compensation was good. Work life balance was great.

ConsWay too many layers of Management, Slow to change, Unwilling to take risks or be proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a definite lack of willingness on the part of upper management to actually "manage" the business. Operating like an old utility will only get you so far. Too many times have I watched opportunities roll past due to indecision. To make matters worse there is no accountability for those bad decisions.

Great Benefits, terrible employee development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAmeren has great employee benefits: domestic partner benefits, matching 401K and employee discounts and services. Work flexibility is decent for the most part for management employees. Pay is decent, but could be better. The company has made great strides in increasing public image and employee branding and culture.

ConsMovement in the company is uncommon. It is easier to make a lateral move than to advance your career. The strong focus on diversity is more polarizing that it is uniting. Hires and transfers seem to be made based on image rather than skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees about what matters to them rather than listening to what the business world says should be important to employees.

Slow & Steady

Ameren Leadership Team (ALT) (Former Employee)

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits and work/life balance

ConsLittle to no career growth, difficult culture if you did not grow up in the company, performance has very little impact/recognition

Good company, too short handed in quality positions..

Distribution Systems Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
Decatur, IL (US)

I have been working at Ameren full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalary is good, benefits are even better (for now). Somewhat care about what you think and will allow you to make the job better for everyone involved. Rebuilding their system to meet future demands.

ConsIf you are good at your job, and would like to transfer to another department, you can forget it. They use whatever they can to keep you where you are. Changes the pay scale of jobs without reflecting those changes with current employees. This is only done with new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a true leader. No more do as I say and not as I do.

Infrastructure Specialist

I have been working at Ameren full-time

ProsThe medical benefits are good. I cant think of anything other Pros

ConsPoor working environment and poor hours. Work environment is like you will work these hours and do off hours work or ...leave. So you should keep your resume updated. You cannot trust what management tells you. This has been a long standing theme at Ameren. If management tells you one thing, expect just the opposite. Senior management is looking to fill their pockets only. IT should just contract out all of the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. Or wait...let's find a company to buy you out and 'clean house.'

OK but no growth

I have been working at Ameren full-time

ProsGreat benefits and pay is good

ConsZero opps for growth-no advancement

Stable, Slow Paced, Nice work-life balance

Project Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSatbility, Work Life Balance, good retirement benefits

ConsSlow Pace, few growth opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide greater growth opportunities

Little to no challenge and not much to be learned

Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Ameren as an intern for less than a year

ProsPay was satisfactory for an internship, interesting to visit the power plants and facilities across the state

ConsWork was tedious and not challenging, contributions did not seem to be fully appreciated, supervisors often failed to listen to suggestions, co-workers are constantly avoiding work by socializing

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you run a government sanctioned monopoly doesn't mean that you should allow employees to slack off so much

Worked for Ameren? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ameren reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ameren CEO Thomas R. Voss. All 31 reviews are posted anonymously by Ameren employees.