AmeriCorps

AmeriCorps Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk

Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • You get a lot of training that will prepare you for another non-profit or government job(in 22 reviews)

• Do not pay student loans while working(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The mediocre living stipend is not enough to live on, you have to have another job to support yourself(in 12 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit(in 10 reviews)

AmeriCorps VISTA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLoved traveling around Montana to all the different workshops, meeting people, and the community outreach.

ConsLow pay. But that wasn't even all that bad.

A must do in a lifetime, there is nothing better than lending a helping hand.

Volunteer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsStrong relationships, networking, and a lifetime of honor.

ConsNone whatsoever, volunteering comes from the heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue loving what you do.

Great Experience!

Americorps VISTA Community Development Coordinator (Current Employee) Hazard, KY (US)

ProsFree training, professional development, leadership experience, etc. Really awesome volunteer job with the potential to help many people. Learn about poverty through experience. You get money towards student loans/school.

ConsThese are more consideration than cons. The pay is low, but that's not why a person takes this position. You are not allowed to run for office. You need to be a self-starter for this job and really look for opportunities on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaying people at poverty level is great for teaching them about poverty in theory. What really happens is that your team members face extra stress that lowers performance. Living in poverty creates a similar amount of stress on the body as pulling an all-nighter. I've lived in poverty all my life, so I'm used to going without things and juggling a tight budget and those are things everyone should learn. Paying people at poverty level does not begin to address the cause behind poverty, because it's not just a money issue.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience as a post-college first job

AmeriCorps VISTA (Former Employee) Spartanburg, SC (US)

ProsGreat opportunity out of college for those interested in nonprofit organizations, and/or moving to a different area. Job satisfaction is completely dependent on the organization, so make sure you do your homework before applying and accepting a position. Great way to serve a community, get $$ toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests.

ConsOverall structure is complicated, and the staff, grant requirements and organization are constantly changing. Makes for a lot of red tape. Good pay cannot be your goal when looking to serve with Americorps. Yearly salary is equal to the poverty line in your community- ranging from 10K-15K usually. Good way to learn to live on a budget!

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd like to have seen State/Regional Directors at least once or twice during my service.

It's fun, rewarding, and challenging.

AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) Perry Point, MD (US)

ProsMeeting new people, traveling to new places, experiencing work variety.

ConsYou need a good leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport team leaders.

Corps Member w/ NCCC

Corps Member (Former Employee) Perry Point, MD (US)

Proslearn team building skills and get to travel the country!

Consdo not join if you are in it for the money; teams you get placed in may prove to be a challenge if your teammates are not hard workers

Advice to Senior Managementfind a way to promote NCCC more to colleges/high schools

A great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sioux Falls, SD (US)

ProsPaid travel, in depth training, meeting other people who care about service to others

ConsFirst year was a great experience in Seattle. Second year in Sioux Falls, SD was terrible. Americorps VISTA was completely mismanaged in South Dakota. Very unsettling.

Advice to Senior ManagementSouth Dakota has been getting away with a lot of misuse of AmeriCorps volunteers.

AmeriCorps NCCC - FEMA Corps- The hardest ten months you'll ever love, kind of.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe experience was a very enlightening experience. I learned a lot going forward, including the direction I'd like to take my career. It's a great pre-professional program that will put you in touch with a variety of office experiences and personalities.

ConsIt's known more as a volunteer program than a pre-professional development opportunity. Also, they're still trying to work out their recruitment, and many in the corps don't want to be there, because they didn't fully do their research, or were misled into believing it was their only chance at AmeriCorps NCCC.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together, target the audience you want in the program, and don't be so worried with numbers of active members. If you don't build that good reputation soon, you'll lose it, because the excuse of "it's a new program" will soon be antiquated.

I loved my terms of service

Corps Member (Former Employee) Perry Point, MD (US)

ProsThis was an amazing, lifechanging experience. I served two terms with NCCC. Traveling the country in a van with my 10 teammates. Doing work that I never thought I would do. Making a huge difference in people's lives. I loved it. The pay is low, but that is part of the experience. NCCC provides food, housing, healthcare, educational opportunities and life after AmeriCorps training

ConsSome of the staff were disorganized. There was some government bureaucracy to deal with. But overall a great experience.

The best experience but hard work with low pay.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

Prosexperience, meeting people, can work for the federal government, and love it.

Conslong hours, pay is low,

Advice to Senior Managementi have none

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!