AmeriCorps

Updated 29 September 2014
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • You get a lot of training that will prepare you for another non-profit or government job (in 23 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 16 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great organization to serve with at anytime during high school, undergraduate, or graduate school

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Great way to fulfill passion

Cons

Beware of organization that have money management issues

Stay member oriented

Great opportunity for me, but not for everyone.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Prescott, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Prescott, AZ (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work above your pay grade--in individual placement, Americorps members often are entrusted with a level of responsibility and control over their domains that is difficult to get right out of college. The educational award is more than I would have paid of my student loans or saved for grad school otherwise.

Cons

The pay is abysmal, and your experience is greatly influenced by which agency is in charge of your Americorps program and by which non-profit you're placed with.

CNCS: dial back the incentives not to fire Americorps members. As far as I understand, orgs that place Americorps members lose funding if they scale back the number of members they have placed. The result is that people who are basically unemployable get shuttled from one non-profit to the next instead of being fired, and it reflects badly on national service members.

Life changing experience

Former Employee - National Civilian Community Corps Member  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - National Civilian Community Corps Member in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I was given the opportunity to travel the country, gain new skills, and work with like minded people. I gained a wealth of new skills in a short amount of time. They provide training, support and education.

Cons

You are not compensated very well. You receive a very modest stipend (they do pay for food, work based travel, and living expenses). The education award is not very much and is taxed if you don't use it correctly (overtime as opposed to all in one go), you will lose most of it to taxes. The working conditions are not necessarily glamorous and you may experience things you don't want (sleeping in tents for weeks at a time, sharing a bedroom with 4 other people). It's a rigorous experience and you really need to prepare yourself for it. (But it's totally worth it!)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very rewarding experience while attending college

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA  in  Sarasota, FL (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Sarasota, FL (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely satisfying experiences, great opportunity to help improve local community, ability to work idependently, and offers grants for education

Cons

Working environments can be challenging (in my case, I worked with many children with behavioral problems), compensation is little, and sometimes can get "stuck" without much guidance

AmeriCorps: Project 4-H CAPITAL

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps part-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent training. Wonderful values. Education Award. $600 stipend per month for 1/2 time. $1200 per full time.

Cons

Low compensation for the quality of education we provide for children (thought I do understand why).

It's not about the money

Former Employee - Site Coordinator  in  Bellingham, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Site Coordinator in Bellingham, WA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You are able to get a great position without having that much experience in the field, training, education award, flexible hours, you are able to take vacation if you make up your hours, health care coverage,

Cons

Stipend is at the poverty level- it's almost impossible to live on the stipend I had to get a second job and I was exhausted because I was working a full time and a part time job.

Increasing living allowances, and make sure non-profits are following the AmeriCorps practices

Great Learning Experience-- depends entirely on your nonprofit site

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in New York, NY (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned a huge amount in just one year and am much more confident in myself professionally. I was well supported and encouraged at the social service nonprofit where I spent the year, and accomplished a great deal.

Cons

As everyone so far has mentioned, the living stipend is not enough to live on and the benefits are nonexistent. In addition, the online resources for VISTAs are not particularly useful. The organization is vast and bureaucratic, leading me to rely entirely on the nonprofit I was placed with for support rather than Americorps itself. I do recommend Americorps if you have the resources, but be sure that the nonprofit you are going into is prepared to treat you as a de facto employee rather than a "volunteer."

Corps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

End of service Education Award, Work experience

Cons

Pay, hours, lack of professionalism

Rewarding but extremely trying experience

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor

Pros

You will help a lot of people. The program I did was in Raleigh, NC with Workforce Development. Mainly assisting people with computer use. A lot of grateful customers that really appreciate your time. Service projects are fun and allow you to really get involved with the community you're in.

Cons

Specific to the "Access JobLink" Program: Little guidance and supervision (Depending on specific worksite), Considered an "Employment Advisor" but training included half day on Resume writing and interviewing which was not enough. Requires more patience than you might have. Working with a State Gov. entity and Private Company where money seems to be the main motive, rather than actually helping people find work.

Spend more time training members on skills required to be an Employment Advisor. There needs to be better communication between Program Manager and Site Supervisors and defined responsibilities for members so everyone knows their role.

Not for me

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

See ins and outs of FEMA

Cons

Weak leadership and organization, Should be more unbiased,

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!