American Airlines

Updated 16 August 2014

3.1

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you know how to roll the dice with non-reving (in 135 reviews)

• working with some of the most experienced pilots in the industry, travel benefits (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management is making it very difficult to want to stay (in 20 reviews)

• In order to advance you have to know someone in upper management (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Human Resources Intern at London Heathrow

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in London, England

Pros

Great exposure to every department. Every team member was more than willing to sit down and go over their roles with me. Very friendly inter office environment.

Cons

Not much interaction between departments. Human Resources never left their floor of the building to interact with marketing, finances, revenue management, etc. Never sure of career advancement.

Give employees a better idea of succession plans.

Fun and got to travel a lot.

Current Employee - Import Clearance Agent/ULD Coordinator  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Import Clearance Agent/ULD Coordinator in London, England

Pros

The travel benefits of working for an airline are fantastic and I was very luck to see so many great places. There is also a real buzz of working at a busy international airport.

Cons

There was no real career progression within the company. Unsociable shifts and that the salary was not competitive were major factors in my decision to leave.

Great place to work...

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant  in  Coral Gables, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Coral Gables, FL (US)

Pros

Management, processes, organizational communication, compensation. Management served as mentors. Wonderful values and ethics policies. The managers were highly organized and goal-oriented. Exceptional leadership.

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities. Management should devise a plan to retain interns or part-time staff. However, this office closed. Unfortunately, there should have been a plan to transfer lower, but vital, personnel to other locations.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I live my Job.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Flexibility And the grieta people emplomes we get to Soria with.

Cons

It tales a long time to mame a gold salary.

Keep working on being an industry leader..

It's not what it used to be

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Fort Worth, TX (US)

Pros

If you like to travel, you're surrounded by people like you, with the passion to travel. There's a good diversity of backgrounds. They like to hire from within.

Cons

It's now US Airways, not American Airlines. All the senior leadership is from US Airways. The president has publicly said he doesn't believe in marketing, so be cautious. Travel perks are for standby travel. With all the people laid off with flight benefits, not sure you'll really get to use them.

Not everyone who came from the old American Airlines is clueless. There are a lot of good employees, please listen to their ideas.

Doug Parker popularity low.

Former Employee - Fleet Service Clerk  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Fleet Service Clerk in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

The pilots and flight attendants voted heavly to merger the two airlines. They did't like Tom Horton so they took the side which they thought was best for "their own group".

Cons

Now they are both complaining . I guess the big checks the pilots and flights got after the merger wasn't enough?

Put some real mangers who will run the company like a real corporation.

Reservations Rep

Former Employee - Reservation Representative  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Reservation Representative in Fort Worth, TX (US)

Pros

very good company to work for

Cons

No matter how nice you are to the customers they are still very mean and hateful for the most part. However, considering every time the customer turns around their flight is getting delayed if not canceled I guess I would be mean and hateful too.

Some really need to know what their job is.

Summer MBA Internship

Current Employee - Strategy & Marketing Analyst - MBA  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Strategy & Marketing Analyst - MBA in Fort Worth, TX (US)

Pros

Ups and downs, good and bad, the people who work there love it. That was always a very positive element. As a lifelong aviation enthusiast I fit in very well and my knowledge of the industry really helped me connect with people during my interviews. Work-life balance doesn't get much better than this, though I know the MBA intern in the fleet planning department was worked like a dog.

Performance and fit were rewarded, with the best interns getting full-time offers but quite a few not receiving them.

Employees themselves really varied. There were some incredible people in middle management and some good and less than stellar people in senior management.

Flight benefits are great if you don't mind the whole standby aspect.

Cons

Compensation is good for Texas but not as good as coastal cities in the US. There's a bit of a heads-down aspect to the work here without a lot of group interactions and projects, which was hard as group energy makes me thrive.

The MBA internship program is good but could be developed further. Once they have you in they don't do as much to really keep you there or make you feel truly valued or desired. When debating whether or not to accept a full time offer, my MBA intern college actually had a team member say to her, "What are you waiting for? If you don't say yes, we have a ton of people waiting who will." Not really the greatest message to send.

The non-rev flight benefits were never that attractive to me because you really don't ever know if you're going somewhere, especially in the summer. I heard stories of employees getting pulled off a plane when a paying customer showed up. It was always frustrating to have friends call and say, "So when do you get in?" and have to respond, "I don't know if I'm even getting on the plane yet"

With the US/AA merger, make sure things don't get dumbed-down to the US Airways level. Marketing, advertising, experience are all major aspects of travel. I know the incoming US Airways leadership doesn't believe in this, and that is a shame

Great customer focused company

Former Employee - Senior Cargo Analyst  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Cargo Analyst in Fort Worth, TX (US)

Pros

As everyone suspects, flight benefits are top on the list assuming you can find a flight with open seats. The health benefits are still better than most other companies.

Cons

The drawback of working for an airline is compensation. Its general knowledge that management salary and benefits is held as a bargaining chip that always looses out when negotiating with one of the several union groups.

Take care of your employees that perform. Invest in your employees in compensation and development.

retired pilot

Former Employee - Pilot  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Pilot in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

international flying, extensive bid sheet

Cons

confrontational management culture, weak union

old marine adage : take care of your people and they will take care of you,

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!