American Airlines

Updated 26 November 2014
3.2

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker

Pros
  • Great flight benefits as American has a lot of destinations around the world (in 145 reviews)

• Flight benefits are great if you don't mind the whole standby aspect (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • the policies with attendance, senior management doesn't know answers to certain questions you ask (in 21 reviews)

• With all the people laid off with flight benefits, not sure you'll really get to use them (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging but the people make it worth it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at American Airlines full-time

Pros

Travel!
    Good brand to work for.
    Work with good people - great team spirit in LON team.

Cons

Expect a lot from each individual, compensation is lower than similar roles in other airlines. Difficult time for the airline post merger. Merger of staff could have been handled better.

Keep focusing on training of employees. HR need to keep employees in mind instead of just the organisation.

Fun and got to travel a lot.

Current Employee - Import Clearance Agent/ULD Coordinator in London, England
    Current Employee - Import Clearance Agent/ULD Coordinator in London, England

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The travel benefits of working for an airline are fantastic and I was very luck to see so many great places. There is also a real buzz of working at a busy international airport.

Cons

There was no real career progression within the company. Unsociable shifts and that the salary was not competitive were major factors in my decision to leave.

Human Resources Intern at London Heathrow

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in London, England
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in London, England

I worked at American Airlines as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great exposure to every department. Every team member was more than willing to sit down and go over their roles with me. Very friendly inter office environment.

Cons

Not much interaction between departments. Human Resources never left their floor of the building to interact with marketing, finances, revenue management, etc. Never sure of career advancement.

Give employees a better idea of succession plans.

Loved it! Great people to work with

Current Employee - American Airlines Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - American Airlines Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flights are so full these days it is very difficult for employees to get a seat

Cons

Working with the public is always a challenge. Unfortunately in all customer service work environments customers often have zero common courtesy. Heck, people in general forget what their mothers taught them at a young age! I strive to not join that group! Lol. But true.

Try to look at people with compassion during interviews and remember how nervous they are. People who "ace" interviews can end up being bad employees who know how to work it. The people who will do the best job and often want it the most can't always come across polished because they really care. Sounds weird but I've seen it time and time again.

A graduate in computer technology, creation and Management Relational Database, graphics, and troubleshooting computer

Current Employee - Account Sales Manager in Port-au-Prince (Haiti)
    Current Employee - Account Sales Manager in Port-au-Prince (Haiti)

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Get a job in IT: Management System Relational Database, Graphics and Maintenance in a
    company where I can make my skills while gaining new experiences.

Cons

Having the ability to synthesis, analysis and problem solving. Graduate in computer technology, computer operators and economics student.

I have the ability to work independently and in teams, the sense of responsibility and very dedicated

People who are passionate about aviation maintenance.

I worked at American Airlines

Pros

Training and support to gain additional skill and experience. Focus on quality of work performed - getting things right. technical support and supply chain are top notch

Cons

Culture of cliques. Upper management had too close a relationship with those under them; to the point of regularly socializing together which blurred the lines of leader - subordinate. this fostered favoritisim to the point where a handful of co workers could get away with rules viollations where the majority of others would be called on the same infractions. Simplistic clique - buy a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle...you are on your way to the inner circle man.

This statement does not apply to all = however to whom it may concern check yourselves and seek adult supervision.

Great company great people!!

Current Employee - Home Based Sales Representative in Cary, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Home Based Sales Representative in Cary, NC (US)

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very Flexible schedule options, flight benefits
    Great people

Cons

Pay and no paid sick and limited paid vacation time

Great company

Current Employee - HBR Representative
    Current Employee - HBR Representative

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of flexibility opportunities

Cons

more part time opportunities for home-based representatives

none, keep up the good work

Great For Young, Single People

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at American Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Travel Benefits; Travel Discounts (hotels) Flexible Schedule; Bases Around the Country; Live in one city, work in another; easy to have second job or own a business

Cons

Salary has decreased over the years

You can fill fly as often as you like and as little as you like.

Great team spirit!

Former Employee - ECommerce Product Owner in Euless, TX (US)
    Former Employee - ECommerce Product Owner in Euless, TX (US)

I worked at American Airlines as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like working in a team environment AA is for you. I worked on their digital channels and AA is ahead of the times as far as adopting Agile. There seems to be plenty of opportunities to try new things and AA would rather move you than lose you. Also they are very intolerant of bullies and have been known to get rid of a amazing performer who doesn't work well with others just to foster that team spirit.

Cons

Wonderful benefits out side of salary. I would have love to convert from my contractor status but could not afford the huge salary cut. In the IT world they are paying early 2000's salary. They know it's an issue but their formal processes to correct this are long and drawn out. They are losing a lot of good IT folks because if this.

Get competitive on salary. Your flight benefits are nice but they don't pay the bills.

American Airlines Photos