American Water

American Water Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014

American Water President, CEO, and Board Member Jeffry E. (Jeff) Sterba

Jeffry E. (Jeff) Sterba

Pros:
  • "Great 401K and pretty good benefits"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Employee compensation and benefits are fair considering the work/life balance afforded"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Limited advancement opportunities and no investment in modern technology"
    in 3 reviews
  • "The employee appraisal review process is ridiculous"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company, Great People

Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee)
Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

I worked at American Water as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGood Company Culture
Good Pay and Benefits
Great Room for development and growth

Consconstant restructuring
HR team wasn't the most consistent

Some Good Leaders Some Poor Leaders

Director (Former Employee)
O'Fallon, MO (US)

I worked at American Water full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUsually most of the peers are nice and friendly and base compensation is fair. Not much advancement opportunities, flat organization.

ConsBonuses and politics suck, like most places. Feels like High School in that some people are snakes and try and get ahead, it works for some. Direction is not clear and consistent to the day-to-day managers

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house! Get some turnover and bring in fresh blood each year (external hires). The world is advancing much faster than AW and you need to branch out beyond public utilities.

This Place Caused Me Years of Anxiety

Team Supervisor (Former Employee)
Alton, IL (US)

ConsHorrible Performance Appraisal Proccess
Favoritism
Constant Reorganization
Not Sympathetic To The Fact You Are A Person and Have a Family

I advanced in the company very quickly, when I became one of the higher paid team supervisors management used this against me telling me I was paid too much and needed to work harder. The constant reorganization of the company had me sick every day with fear that I would be booted out. Management uses HR as a scare tactic, honestly I have never trusted another HR person since working here. Due to reorg management changes all the time and the real focus (the customer) is lost. Save your sanity and don't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit scaring employees with reorgs and HR. Quit promoting the wrong people based on hearsay from managers. You have lost many many good supervisors just because they "pissed off a manager". Management by fear won't retain your good employees

Inspector

Inspector (Former Employee)
Lynbrook, NY (US)

I worked at American Water full-time for less than a year

ProsYou go outdoors and check homes who have sprinkling systems.

ConsThere is nothing negative about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great money, terrible policy and system implementation

Customer Service Representative III - PA (Former Employee)
Pensacola, FL (US)

I worked at American Water full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat money for entry level positions in the area, generally pleasant co-workers, nice building and better equipment than most of the call centers with which I have been employed, union available, metrics attainable for employees with drive to succeed.

ConsInconsistent management, policy applied in an inappropriately discretionary manner, overwhelming amounts mandatory overtime with no regard to family obligations outside of normally scheduled shift, employees treated as replaceable.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees who are dedicated and perform well should not be penalized for being unable to work excessive overtime outside of the shifts they selected. Employees are already subjected to shift bids based on seniority and must find shifts that they can manage thier lives around. Shifts are selected to best fit the employees schedules and random changes are not easy to manage. Also, termination of and employee for a single mistake that has otherwise performed well is ludicrous. The disciplinary procedure for attendance is well thought out, aside from the overtime issue, but otherwise the disciplinary procedure is either completely lax or grossly excessive. Employees can quit and come back without issue, but the effort to keep a good employee is minimal at best.

Brown nose are us

I have been working at American Water full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey have pretty good benefits and if you are into brown nosing and cloaking the truth, you will go far.

ConsToo many political games. They hire their unqualified friends who know very little and others with talent get laid off. They hire too many temporary contract people for call center who don't get enough time to really learn their systems so that they can adequately care for customers on the national platform. By the time they begin to learn it, those people cycle out and a new group comes

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring friends and be more transparent

Great company to work for

Utility Worker (Former Employee)
Saint Charles, MO (US)

I worked at American Water full-time for more than a year

ProsGood stable job to retire from

ConsI have nothing negative to say about my experience with them

Great people to work with.

I have been working at American Water

ProsIt is great to have the support of a manager that wants to see you excel and succeed whether you are with their team or not.

ConsThe red tape to get certain things done is unfortunate and tends to slow progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have a better understanding of the work that is being done across the business. There are times when there is no visibility to other commitments to the business that create frustration and friction between the groups.

Great company with a great culture

I have been working at American Water full-time

Pros-Diverse and well-qualified staff
-Upper level management is accessible and friendly to all employees
-Employee compensation and benefits are fair considering the work/life balance afforded
-Rewarding corporate culture, gives back to communities served.

ConsI have nothing negative to say. Every company has a few bad apples, but American Water does a fine job weeding them out.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a pleasure to work with you.

A rollercoaster ride, uphill climbs but downhill going on now......

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Middletown, NJ (US)

I worked at American Water full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood benefits so far, able to participate in AWK stock. I was able to form my own network of colleagues to rely on for assistance in other areas of the Company...all nice people,

ConsManagement says they are open to employee input & concern but they are not... that includes middle management & up. They don't care attitude comes across in their speech, their emails and memos, their body language. Its all about the buck, how much can be saved for their pockets. Problems are shoved under the carpet, there is no HR Dept, just a Service Center. Employees are leaving the company or retiring because too many changes. Dont work here if you want a life!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are career opportunities,like those with business transformation, that are never offered to the general employee population .... who are the end users. The same people over and over on these programs. All the money spent on these trainings and conferences could be better spent on inventives for employees deserving an incentive award, not just the usual increase that is suppose to be individual but isntl that goes around in their department. Upper management really needs to get out with the people again and hear (see) what goes among the ranks every day. Morale is not good, and has not been good for awhile in New Jersey North.

Worked for American Water? Contribute to the Community!

American Water Videos

American Water – Why Work for Us?

About Us In a world where everything we touch frequently changes, water is our constant. We’ve never stopped needing it to drink, to cook, to clean, to live. We’ll always need it for sanitation, for fire protection, for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Water reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for American Water CEO Jeffry E. (Jeff) Sterba. All 60 reviews are posted anonymously by American Water employees.