American Water

American Water Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

American Water President, CEO, and Board Member Jeffry E. (Jeff) Sterba

Jeffry E. (Jeff) Sterba

Pros:
  • "They have pretty good benefits and if you are into brown nosing and cloaking the truth, you will go far"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good coworkers, good culture, good work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "I have nothing negative to say about my experience with them"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Untimely reorganization was detrimental to departments and selection processes for remaining centers was not thought through completely"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company, Great People

Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee)
Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

I worked at American Water as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGood Company Culture
Good Pay and Benefits
Great Room for development and growth

Consconstant restructuring
HR team wasn't the most consistent

Some Good Leaders Some Poor Leaders

Director (Former Employee)
O'Fallon, MO (US)

I worked at American Water full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUsually most of the peers are nice and friendly and base compensation is fair. Not much advancement opportunities, flat organization.

ConsBonuses and politics suck, like most places. Feels like High School in that some people are snakes and try and get ahead, it works for some. Direction is not clear and consistent to the day-to-day managers

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house! Get some turnover and bring in fresh blood each year (external hires). The world is advancing much faster than AW and you need to branch out beyond public utilities.

Inspector

Inspector (Former Employee)
Lynbrook, NY (US)

I worked at American Water full-time for less than a year

ProsYou go outdoors and check homes who have sprinkling systems.

ConsThere is nothing negative about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Employee

I have been working at American Water for more than 8 years

ProsGood employees most truly care despite adverse relationship most employees will welcome you and help you when possible but time is of the essence

ConsHorrible treatment of employees .Illegally stole employee health care and that is just one of the many soulless moves that make it hard .

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect employees point of view

This Place Caused Me Years of Anxiety

Team Supervisor (Former Employee)
Alton, IL (US)

ConsHorrible Performance Appraisal Proccess
Favoritism
Constant Reorganization
Not Sympathetic To The Fact You Are A Person and Have a Family

I advanced in the company very quickly, when I became one of the higher paid team supervisors management used this against me telling me I was paid too much and needed to work harder. The constant reorganization of the company had me sick every day with fear that I would be booted out. Management uses HR as a scare tactic, honestly I have never trusted another HR person since working here. Due to reorg management changes all the time and the real focus (the customer) is lost. Save your sanity and don't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit scaring employees with reorgs and HR. Quit promoting the wrong people based on hearsay from managers. You have lost many many good supervisors just because they "pissed off a manager". Management by fear won't retain your good employees

Great money, terrible policy and system implementation

Customer Service Representative III - PA (Former Employee)
Pensacola, FL (US)

I worked at American Water full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat money for entry level positions in the area, generally pleasant co-workers, nice building and better equipment than most of the call centers with which I have been employed, union available, metrics attainable for employees with drive to succeed.

ConsInconsistent management, policy applied in an inappropriately discretionary manner, overwhelming amounts mandatory overtime with no regard to family obligations outside of normally scheduled shift, employees treated as replaceable.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees who are dedicated and perform well should not be penalized for being unable to work excessive overtime outside of the shifts they selected. Employees are already subjected to shift bids based on seniority and must find shifts that they can manage thier lives around. Shifts are selected to best fit the employees schedules and random changes are not easy to manage. Also, termination of and employee for a single mistake that has otherwise performed well is ludicrous. The disciplinary procedure for attendance is well thought out, aside from the overtime issue, but otherwise the disciplinary procedure is either completely lax or grossly excessive. Employees can quit and come back without issue, but the effort to keep a good employee is minimal at best.

Brown nose are us

I have been working at American Water full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey have pretty good benefits and if you are into brown nosing and cloaking the truth, you will go far.

ConsToo many political games. They hire their unqualified friends who know very little and others with talent get laid off. They hire too many temporary contract people for call center who don't get enough time to really learn their systems so that they can adequately care for customers on the national platform. By the time they begin to learn it, those people cycle out and a new group comes

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring friends and be more transparent

Great company to work for

Utility Worker (Former Employee)
Saint Charles, MO (US)

I worked at American Water full-time for more than a year

ProsGood stable job to retire from

ConsI have nothing negative to say about my experience with them

Great people to work with.

I have been working at American Water

ProsIt is great to have the support of a manager that wants to see you excel and succeed whether you are with their team or not.

ConsThe red tape to get certain things done is unfortunate and tends to slow progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have a better understanding of the work that is being done across the business. There are times when there is no visibility to other commitments to the business that create frustration and friction between the groups.

Great company with a great culture

I have been working at American Water full-time

Pros-Diverse and well-qualified staff
-Upper level management is accessible and friendly to all employees
-Employee compensation and benefits are fair considering the work/life balance afforded
-Rewarding corporate culture, gives back to communities served.

ConsI have nothing negative to say. Every company has a few bad apples, but American Water does a fine job weeding them out.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a pleasure to work with you.

Worked for American Water? Contribute to the Community!

American Water Videos

American Water – Why Work for Us?

About Us In a world where everything we touch frequently changes, water is our constant. We’ve never stopped needing it to drink, to cook, to clean, to live. We’ll always need it for sanitation, for fire protection, for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Water reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for American Water CEO Jeffry E. (Jeff) Sterba. All 61 reviews are posted anonymously by American Water employees.