AmerisourceBergen

Updated 29 October 2014
2.9

AmerisourceBergen President & CEO Steven Collis
Steven Collis

Pros
  • Attractive enviornment; good benefits; tools provided to be successful in job (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits - you accrue 20 days of PTO per year in your first year (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance and pay is average for the market place (in 9 reviews)

• long long hours, treated like animals who can just work forever (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great location and great people

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time

Pros

Love the location in suburban Frisco, love the gym located in the office park, love the healthcare benefits and PTO is generous. Like the people I work with.

Cons

Depending on your business unit; but mine in particular is very client driven, as opposed to following our processes and systems. It is non-stop, urgent demands from clients.

Great atmosphere and company that gives you the ability to help make a difference in people lives

Current Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office culture, benefits, and line of work.

Cons

Can't assist everyone, only patients who have qualified chronic illnesses.

Consider discussing growth opportunities within the company or staffing agencies.

Office in Montreal, Quebec Canada very badly run with too many people thinking they are supervisors.

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative II in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative II in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was good, nice building. Central Industrial part of Ville Saint Laurent in Montreal.

Cons

Work atmosphere toxic with old employees trying to poison the new hires and succeeding most of the time. One old employee told she had been there of almost 15 years and hated it

Survey what the older hires are telling the new hires and make a clean out of all the old guard, with negative attitudes.

Ccrnaperville

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL (US)

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen part-time

Pros

A building with a parking deck is nice that you do no have to pay for like the city of Chicago parking

Cons

Hired to be in bound call center and that you were hired to only take calls for Walgen. Only and the pay was was for that it was inbound call center only ( not so), mandatory weekend( for training)'if a co worker ask you how you feel--- you better be Pro company---- or you are wrote up or even fired for letting a co worker know weekend work is hard on your family (especially when you are a single mom and it will cost you even if you can find a sitter.....The pay does not match the work you must do"......you are micro managed.. To the point of having to put a caller on hold.. To answer IM,High ,why is the call take longer than is on the list of time..we'll looking up credits, taking orders and seeing why the supervisor did not call them back ....But please keep in mind if you share with management team or anyone else( survey you are sent) you Better say the company is great!!!!
    To JUST be thankful you have a job

Company drained of tangible talent. Failing to sustain a competitive edge.

Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at AmerisourceBergen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Initially management was engaged with the development of high performing associates. Dave Yost, Mike Dicandillo were instrumental in driving company excellence. A very good track record of growing earnings using fiscally sound business management principles. ABC remained competitive because of the extremely lean business methodologies, which were practiced company wide.

Cons

After much of the downsizing and personnel transitions, few talented people were left to fend for themselves while trying to execute a poor business plan. SAP implementation took too long and the cost over run hurt the company's financial stability. ABC had to reduce costs through eliminating key individuals who were making too much money. The dismissals cost ABC unknown amounts of talent and hard business knowledge.

The ideas of senior management have not worked to produce a better ABC. Time to rid yourselves of the dead weight in senior management. I am saddened to see many good people were asked to leave while many marginal people stayed. I don't know that the company realized these individuals went to competing companies, which will challenge ABC for future business.

If you want a job that pays little and works you all hours without notice this is your company. Dont be single w/kids

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate II in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate II in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at AmerisourceBergen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The health care packages if your single with no kids

Cons

Too many hours
    Not enough employees
    Change your hours of employment at will. Started at 7-3:30, then 6-2:30, then 5-1:30. but never ever just work 8 hrs. a light day is 10 hrs. mostly 12-14 hrs. Now the force mandatory weekends.
    They fire you based on another employee word.
    Basically no way to advance. They pride themselves on running "lean"
    Incentive pay makes everyone selfish and disrespectful
    All these 3 stars seem to be corporate, office or management.

Stop hiring not enough people then fire them for basically no reason. Offer better raises. pay them more. 12.26 for what we had to do is not enough. also how could i work just one day and make more than someone who has been there 5+ years? Your shipping and receiving teams keeps this company #1 pay them accordingly. Also 3% pay raises are nothing. Get rid of incentive pay which makes everyone sloppy and careless, which creates a unorganized and messy warehouse with poor inventory accountability, and give your warehouse employees at least a 3 dollar raise.

Review of Amerisource

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate II in Bethlehem, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate II in Bethlehem, PA (US)

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

overtime is a great benefit. Helps support the family

Cons

time off policies. Need to be more clear.

none at this moment.

Growing company, but not my paycheck!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA (US)

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well lit parking. The office space is adequate; not indicative of a Fortune 30 company but still adequate. The cleaning crew does a great job keeping the place clean. Benefits are OK, but not the best that money can buy. You can tell that our benefits were picked amongst the low hanging fruit.

Cons

Everything is a one-way conversation. They talk to you, not with you. Every single time that the company creates a mess and has to clean it up, they come up with a communication strategy that is a one way feed. They are so desperate to sell you on the message that covers up their incompetence that they've left no room for any type of discussion.

Only friends of friends are acknowledged and rewarded. I just saved the company millions of dollars in litigation costs but I won't even be slapped on the back for doing that. However, if I was part of the click, I would be recognized during the annual ABC Vision and Values Awards. That's how things run at AmerisourceBergen.

The company is growing but not growing our paychecks. We are severely underpaid. If you are on salary, you are basically working for free. Between the travel time and the hours that you have to waste in mindless meetings, you put in time equivalent to three employees.

We are so underpaid that the majority of our employees have to work three hours to be able to afford the copay that they must pay when seeing their primary care physician. They would have to work nine hours to also afford the copay for most prescriptions covered under our drug plan benefit.

The money that the company makes is returned to WallStreet because the powers that be receive millions in stock options. So they must do anything and everything to ensure that shares value is increased.

Even our 401K contributions are a joke. The company claims that it matches up to 5% of your contributions but the formula that they use to calculate that match pretty much gives you roughly $300 a year in company matching contributions. The company provides some rather selective and questionable investment options for employee 401K plans that pretty much ensure that you invest in the company's stock no matter what.

That's the reality of AmerisourceBergen.

No advice because management does not care about listening and cares even less about employees.

Great place to learn the Healthcare Reimbursement business.

Current Employee - Team Coordinator in San Bruno, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Team Coordinator in San Bruno, CA (US)

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are willing to train you.

Cons

There's not alot of room for growth. After you reach the level of a Program Manager, you become stagnant. Growth is not guaranteed by consistency.

Increase yearly promotions of staff.

My experience as a Customer Care Manager at AmerisourceBergen

Former Employee - Customer Care Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Care Manager

I worked at AmerisourceBergen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Attractive enviornment; good benefits; tools provided to be successful in job. The company is doing very well financially. Senior Management consist of forward thinkers making the companies future prosperous.

Cons

Non-competitive pay; no career track; good old boy system.

It is very difficult to get promoted across business units. The problem with that is there is no career path within any of the business units so in essence, the likeihood of a person not tied into the good old boy system is slim to none.

Develop career paths and promote people from within. Benmark salaries annually. Increase average salary increase percentage for meets and above associates to at least keep par with inflation. Offer bonus at all level of management.