AppFolio

Updated 20 February 2015
Updated 20 February 2015
4.0

Brian Donahoo

Mostly good, some things they could improve.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like the people I work with. Good work/life balance. People are mostly nice. They've been able to hire smart and good natured people. They want to continue hiring smart and good natured people. Snacks. Occasional breakfast and lunch. Occasional team outings. Occasional fun events. PTO is alright. Just started 401k matching.

Good development processes. High quality employees, making great impact to the company.

If you're just starting your career, it's a great place.
    If you're just leaving a completely crappy employer, this is a great place.

Cons

Environment is for extroverts, introverts beware.
    They are hiring fast and cramming people in. Zero personal space. Lot's of noise. Office temperature is Cold then Hot. Not very conducive for creative people or focused time.
    Long waits for the disgusting bathroom are common.

They hire a lot of people fresh out of college, so if you have any experience be prepared to be pushed to mentor. They should provide some incentive for it.

Couple times a year, employees are pressured into delivering a work related project in 24 hrs, in exchange for food, beer and shirts/sweaters.

The pay and benefits are mediocre, compared to the quality, quantity, responsibility and impact of work.

Raises are on the weak side. No profit sharing at this time. Number of Options granted at a time is now low and doesn't off set the low end of pay.

Seems like the company is deliberately leveraging work relationships and atmosphere in order to pay on the lower end.

Great company but not for SDR's (please read if interested in entry level Sales)

Former Employee - SDR (Sales Development Representative) in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I would say the best reasons:
    - Overall culture, in general people are fun and friendly
    - The very top of leadership is great (CEO-Brian and both the CoFounders)
    - Events are fun, food is good, they have all the fluff that startups do
    - Sales team is compensated well for their efforts (monetary mainly, then the typical fluff)

Cons

I speak for ONE department, so do not take this to speak for every department, this is both SDRs and ISRs:
    - You will be heavily micromanaged on the SDR team and depending on the manager the ISR team as well
    - In the beginning it feels like they like you, but they're actions convey that they only like you for your numbers
    - Management is always right (even if they invade privacy) and will not admit their faults
    - Leadership in this department is mostly former Citrix team, so they know what they want and don't care much about what you think
    - AppFolio has grown too quickly, going from an SDR team of 5 to 20+ in the course of 2-4 months which means again that you are just a number. Same goes for Sales, from 10-20 to 40-60 in 2-4 months (I do apologize if I've inflated those too high, but I do know that the SDR team numbers are accurate - I'm trying to be honest and fair)
    - It's never good when you enjoy hanging out with other departments more than your own
    - Majority age range is early twenties, which makes it college 2.0 (so if you're looking for a mature environment to work, then don't go here)
    - Your managers bonuses depending on Your performance (which is not unusual), which some managers handle with care and grace, not the case here. It's all about the numbers and a promotion will constantly be dangled in front of you to make you work harder (not because it's actually available).

I am writing this review 5 months after leaving AppFolio. I didn't like sales at AppFolio, but now that I'm at a new company, I greatly enjoy sales. (I hope those comments help you understand I'm not just venting or "blind")

My Place at AppFolio:
    I was an employee for just shy of a year and while in the beginning I believed all the "this is a nearly perfect company" talk that went around, I quickly saw how things were really unfolding. And please hear this, I was not a poor performer, I was top two for 3+ months of my employment on the SDR team and created records for OPPs. I was no slacker.

Culture/Passivity:
    Some cultures are messy, people get mad at each other, etc. but because issues are out in the open they get resolved. AppFolio is not that way. At AppFolio if you aren't liked or don't like someone or something that happens it is addresses over a long span of time and passively, creating a deep seeded disfunction that only comes to the surfaces when everyone is at lunch or otherwise in private.

Management:
    At AppFolio the Sales managers use STC (Selling Through Curiosity) management. Which means that anytime you sit them down to try to express how you feel about recent incidents, events, etc. they ask a lot of questions until they're able to point out why You are wrong and They are right. (On the SDR team I would often ask something and be asked in return "What do you mean by that" - an excuse for not listening to me and not admitting so)

Growth/Creativity:
    In an environment where the SDR team is micromanaged - no one is allowed to be an adult, think on their own, learn from their mistakes, grow, or for the sake of the company reveal that they shouldn't be there. Creativity is out the window, AppFolio is not a startup anymore, it's more and more corporate so everything is in place - just get good at the job they give you, that's all you're allowed to do (not stated, but that's how it unfolds).

Other SDRs:
    If you surveyed the SDRs and asked what they thought, assuming they weren't afraid of losing their current job there, they would say the manager made their experience miserable. I say this having talked to dozens (literally).

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio (less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Working alongside great people
    Clients are happy with what they're getting
    A growing company with lots of room for growth

Cons

Pay is decent but not great
    Scaling up will become an issue in the future
    Software seems a but outdated, there needs to be more improvements

Continue to inspire your employees with enthusiasm

They've spoiled me...

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They foster a culture of employee appreciation and respect. I left the company due to relocation, and I've since then compared every company to them (and none have yet surpassed or really even come close). There are companies that say they are like AppFolio, with the perks and great environment and transparency, but AppFolio is everything it says it is. I know I will have a hard time finding a company with as much heart as they do business sense, but its reassuring to know that they are out there.

Cons

My only con was the distance I had to drive. I lived in the city and the office is about 15 miles outside the city. That's not their fault- I just wished the commute was shorter.

SaaS done right for the customer and for the employee

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Outstanding office culture
    Charismatic CEO
    Close-knit teams
    Collaboration
    Smart leadership in each department
    Simplicity at the core of the business
    Challenging work
    Ability to innovate within your role/department
    Well designed processes
    Genuine customer focus
    Work-life balance
    Open communication about company goals, initiatives, performance, and future
    Innovative software that truly changes the lives of its users

Cons

Not being able to roll out all the features our clients request. AppFolio has a very active user base and they come up with a ton of excellent ideas. Creating a robust solution happens quickly but still does not seem to fully sate our client's hunger for product enhancements.

Appfolian

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

fun atmosphere, 4 weeks of time off, food in fridges & ping pong/foosball, customer focused

Cons

lots of different things going on, growth pains, sub-par compensation

Pretty close to perfect

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

-Motivated co-workers full of positive energy
    -Growth, growth and more growth
    -Fast paced start up culture which keeps things exciting
    -Casual and relaxed environment. We work hard and have fun doing it.
    -The perks: lots and lots of free food, on site workout classes, happy hours, etc.
    -4 weeks paid vacation. GREAT work/life balance.

Cons

Not much. There are definitely some growing pains but that's to be expected of a company growing as rapidly as we are.

Keep growing the team and enhancing the software but don't change much else! Things are great as they are.

Good company, just not for me

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture of the company is incredible. Tribal knowledge is the backbone of the sales department and everyone truly cares about the team effort. Dress code is relaxed (I wear jeans to work everyday). All managers are there to help in any way they can! If you work hard and are successful there are many opportunities to advance within the company.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about the company, I just found the job to be very boring. Every position in the company is a full-on desk job and I just found myself unable to be successful in that type of environment.

Not as happy as they want you to believe

Former Employee - Implementation Manager
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager

I worked at AppFolio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, happy hour nights, tee shirts, costumes.

Cons

Staff is robotic, processes come before quality, management is below average at best. Company culture is targeted at the very young looking for a first job. Cronyism among top management is rampant. Not for anyone who wants to put quality work before production line quantity. Take a look at their Appfolio "Happy" video on YouTube. It's insane.

I wouldn't know where to begin.