AppFolio Reviews

4.1
Brian Donahoo

1. Featured Review

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

The company is doing very well and they provide high salaries and strong benefits

Cons

It's a mid-size company that grew relatively quickly. Lots of changes in internal processes that can be difficult to navigate sometimes.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent with employees. Promote from within. We have a unique culture here at Appfolio and I'd hate to see it change.

Inside Sales Manager

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

Great culture, company values, and ability to have work/home balance. With previous sales experience Appfolio is unique to say the least. Before working here I was drawn towards the company values and feedback from their customers. As an employee I feel valued, been promoted twice, and feel they have truly invested in my career and development as a sales professional.

Cons

It is a long commute

A flourishing company with opportunity at every corner

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

AppFolio is a fantastic place to start your career. The training is top-notch, the people are great, the product is amazing, and the management is appreciative. The company is wildly successful and is growing by leaps and bounds every quarter. Having joined AppFolio only 10 months ago, I'm pleased to have been promoted TWICE in that timeframe. Considering this is my first job out of college, I could not be happier with my decision to join this team.

The SDR role itself is a fantastic introduction into the fast paced sales of a tech company. The training you will receive will be superlative to the industry. You will not learn how to be a telemarketer; you will learn how to be a consultant, and a good one at that. Expect the same training that you'd receive at tech giant in Silicon Valley but with more personalized attention. Training is also ongoing as we meet multiple times a week to sharpen our sales acumen.

In terms of culture, AppFolio is full on fun, energetic people that give this company such a unique vibe. Expect lots of catered lunches, retail gift cards, ping pong tournaments, and enough AppFolio t-shirts to fill your entire wardrobe. There are a ton of dogs at the office, too.

So yea, it's a pretty sweet place to work.

Cons

AppFolio's startup era has long passed. The company has grown into it's corporate shoes and as a result, job responsibilities and protocols are very structured.

Advice to Management

The company needs more diversity. I highly encourage AppFolio to recruit from beyond the Santa Barbara community. Everyone went to either Westmont or UCSB.

Best place I have ever worked!

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

Great people, lots of opportunity, and solid leadership.

Cons

Growing company- some growing pains here and there.

Advice to Management

Carefully guard the company culture and keep the small company feel.

Apr 20, 2015VP Marketing

Thank you! We love hearing this is the best place you've ever worked and I love your advice to management. We hear you and are all on the case to keep AppFolio the 'smallest big company you've ever ... More

6. Great company where you can learn a lot do a lot, and people there are very nice, I got a lot of help there.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

great location, great people there, great atmosphere, and you can get a lot of help, and it is good to live in san diego

Cons

nothing to say, nothing to say, nothing to say, nothing to say, nothing to say, nothing to say, nothing to say

Mostly good, some things they could improve.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the people I work with. Good work/life balance. People are mostly nice. They've been able to hire smart and good natured people. They want to continue hiring smart and good natured people. Snacks. Occasional breakfast and lunch. Occasional team outings. Occasional fun events. PTO is alright. Just started 401k matching.

Good development processes. High quality employees, making great impact to the company.

If you're just starting your career, it's a great place.
    If you're just leaving a completely crappy employer, this is a great place.

Cons

Environment is for extroverts, introverts beware.
    They are hiring fast and cramming people in. Zero personal space. Lot's of noise. Office temperature is Cold then Hot. Not very conducive for creative people or focused time.
    Long waits for the disgusting bathroom are common.

They hire a lot of people fresh out of college, so if you have any experience be prepared to be pushed to mentor. They should provide some incentive for it.

Couple times a year, employees are pressured into delivering a work related project in 24 hrs, in exchange for food, beer and shirts/sweaters.

The pay and benefits are mediocre, compared to the quality, quantity, responsibility and impact of work.

Raises are on the weak side. No profit sharing at this time. Number of Options granted at a time is now low and doesn't off set the low end of pay.

Seems like the company is deliberately leveraging work relationships and atmosphere in order to pay on the lower end.

Apr 20, 2015VP Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at AppFolio. We definitely hear you on the space - we're growing quickly and working hard to make enough room for everyone! The good news is we ... More

Great company but not for SDR's (please read if interested in entry level Sales)

Former Employee - SDR (Sales Development Representative) in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would say the best reasons:
    - Overall culture, in general people are fun and friendly
    - The very top of leadership is great (CEO-Brian and both the CoFounders)
    - Events are fun, food is good, they have all the fluff that startups do
    - Sales team is compensated well for their efforts (monetary mainly, then the typical fluff)

Cons

I speak for ONE department, so do not take this to speak for every department, this is both SDRs and ISRs:
    - You will be heavily micromanaged on the SDR team and depending on the manager the ISR team as well
    - In the beginning it feels like they like you, but they're actions convey that they only like you for your numbers
    - Management is always right (even if they invade privacy) and will not admit their faults
    - Leadership in this department is mostly former Citrix team, so they know what they want and don't care much about what you think
    - AppFolio has grown too quickly, going from an SDR team of 5 to 20+ in the course of 2-4 months which means again that you are just a number. Same goes for Sales, from 10-20 to 40-60 in 2-4 months (I do apologize if I've inflated those too high, but I do know that the SDR team numbers are accurate - I'm trying to be honest and fair)
    - It's never good when you enjoy hanging out with other departments more than your own
    - Majority age range is early twenties, which makes it college 2.0 (so if you're looking for a mature environment to work, then don't go here)
    - Your managers bonuses depending on Your performance (which is not unusual), which some managers handle with care and grace, not the case here. It's all about the numbers and a promotion will constantly be dangled in front of you to make you work harder (not because it's actually available).

Advice to Management

I am writing this review 5 months after leaving AppFolio. I didn't like sales at AppFolio, but now that I'm at a new company, I greatly enjoy sales. (I hope those comments help you understand I'm not just venting or "blind")

My Place at AppFolio:
    I was an employee for just shy of a year and while in the beginning I believed all the "this is a nearly perfect company" talk that went around, I quickly saw how things were really unfolding. And please hear this, I was not a poor performer, I was top two for 3+ months of my employment on the SDR team and created records for OPPs. I was no slacker.

Culture/Passivity:
    Some cultures are messy, people get mad at each other, etc. but because issues are out in the open they get resolved. AppFolio is not that way. At AppFolio if you aren't liked or don't like someone or something that happens it is addresses over a long span of time and passively, creating a deep seeded disfunction that only comes to the surfaces when everyone is at lunch or otherwise in private.

Management:
    At AppFolio the Sales managers use STC (Selling Through Curiosity) management. Which means that anytime you sit them down to try to express how you feel about recent incidents, events, etc. they ask a lot of questions until they're able to point out why You are wrong and They are right. (On the SDR team I would often ask something and be asked in return "What do you mean by that" - an excuse for not listening to me and not admitting so)

Growth/Creativity:
    In an environment where the SDR team is micromanaged - no one is allowed to be an adult, think on their own, learn from their mistakes, grow, or for the sake of the company reveal that they shouldn't be there. Creativity is out the window, AppFolio is not a startup anymore, it's more and more corporate so everything is in place - just get good at the job they give you, that's all you're allowed to do (not stated, but that's how it unfolds).

Other SDRs:
    If you surveyed the SDRs and asked what they thought, assuming they weren't afraid of losing their current job there, they would say the manager made their experience miserable. I say this having talked to dozens (literally).

Apr 16, 2015VP Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback -- we're sorry to hear you feel this way. We're growing quickly and many of our SDR team members are moving into sales in less than a year. This ... More

They've spoiled me...

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They foster a culture of employee appreciation and respect. I left the company due to relocation, and I've since then compared every company to them (and none have yet surpassed or really even come close). There are companies that say they are like AppFolio, with the perks and great environment and transparency, but AppFolio is everything it says it is. I know I will have a hard time finding a company with as much heart as they do business sense, but its reassuring to know that they are out there.

Cons

My only con was the distance I had to drive. I lived in the city and the office is about 15 miles outside the city. That's not their fault- I just wished the commute was shorter.

SaaS done right for the customer and for the employee

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding office culture
    Charismatic CEO
    Close-knit teams
    Collaboration
    Smart leadership in each department
    Simplicity at the core of the business
    Challenging work
    Ability to innovate within your role/department
    Well designed processes
    Genuine customer focus
    Work-life balance
    Open communication about company goals, initiatives, performance, and future
    Innovative software that truly changes the lives of its users

Cons

Not being able to roll out all the features our clients request. AppFolio has a very active user base and they come up with a ton of excellent ideas. Creating a robust solution happens quickly but still does not seem to fully sate our client's hunger for product enhancements.

11. Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Working alongside great people
    Clients are happy with what they're getting
    A growing company with lots of room for growth

Cons

Pay is decent but not great
    Scaling up will become an issue in the future
    Software seems a but outdated, there needs to be more improvements

Advice to Management

Continue to inspire your employees with enthusiasm