Apple

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

(1,549 ratings)

3,092 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 163 reviews
  • "Great benefits, awesome staff, lots of people to pick up shifts if you don't want to work"
    in 158 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 142 reviews
  • "sometimes long hours because of product launches, but thats the best part of apple"
    in 121 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Specialist

Specialist (Current Employee)
Southend-on-Sea, England

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than a year

ProsNew Technology
Good Perks
Benefits
Team members can be informative and useful
Customers can be fun to work with
Management can be on your side sometimes

ConsSlow advancement
Wrong expectations
Advancement Again
Favorites are rewarded to often
Cliche
Some people do not leave the high school mentality behind

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect team members that give 110 %

Amazing people and a focus on real quality

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCareer opportunities, as the business has been growing in Europe there's a lot of new roles. Working your way through from Specialist can be really tough but it is possible and you need to constantly perform at a high level. There are incredible people all around you and the standards are so high that I think many young people give up after a year or two because they expect instant promotion or a career on a plate.

Its a brand thats easy to be passionate about, the product quality is second to none and its not really like any other retail business. I think the biggest win for Apple Retail is the culture, it stands apart from Apple Inc because of a very specific people-focused credo and entrenched standards.

ConsDo not be fooled into thinking this is a way into Apple Inc. A lot of people think that by joining as a Specialist they'll somehow be designing the latest products within 5 years.

Everything is controlled from the US, this can lead to a less flexible understanding of the EU and its laws/practices that can cause problems as the company doesn't acknowledge the differences.

Can take longer to progress but this is because its an environment full of talented people.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that you're running a global business, not just a US one.

Learn what made Apple Retail different, now that Steve and Ron have gone, the culture is harder to maintain and all of the monetary decisions from Tim are more in line with traditional retail business. This makes it hard for us to differentiate as a retailer from anyone else. Tim is excellent for Apple Inc, but less so for Retail.

The fruit stall

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people you work with and meet whilst woking

Consthe people you serve and micro management, everyone thinks their the boss as soon as they get an iPad in hand.

The best retail company you will ever work at.

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsAt Apple as an employee you feel important - the culture of feedback is central, and while you get great constructive feedback from the management team, you can also give it back, as well as sharing feedback with your fellow team members - and it is actually listened to! There is also ample room to grow for the right person, and if you work really hard it's quickly noticed and rewarded. The difficult application process and extensive training means you'll be working in a team of intelligent, creative and fun people and every day will be different.

ConsYou could get sucked in to the career and lifestyle - and if this is not your career choice but a stop-gap you could end up looking around in 5 years time and realise this wasn't actually what you wanted to do! You also get all your friends, family, acquaintances, people you meet on the bus asking you for insider info on new products and wheedling you for a discount. That can get annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to keep the core values close to your heart - those were the best managers - the worst ones were the ones that treated it as just another management job and forgot what Apple is all about.

The best retail career you could possibly ask for, but there are always a few cons

Birmingham, England

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

ProsUnlike previous retail jobs and especially in this store you are ALWAYS busy, which makes the time fly by. You meet some really interesting people from a variety of backgrounds who use Apple products. opportunity for promotion is there.

ConsSometimes was a bit chaotic. Difficult to make substantial changes due to the uniform nature of Apple stores globally. Sometimes very political especially if you didn't socialise with everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage more with part-time staff and train staff accordingly in regards to targets (which do exist) but aren't as hard pressed as other retail stores.

Good fun, not long term

Sheffield, England

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking in the retail stores is fast paced. You'll barely get a chance to breath and you'll learn a lot about yourself. Some of the career experiences are fantastic and you'll get exposure to lots of information and learn a lot about different areas of retail, training, B2B etc.

ConsThe expectations. There are no bonuses, be it pay or real recognition, but the work you're expected to do is of the highest calibre. The hours are unforgiving and the stress of certain days are not for the light hearted.
Progression is difficult depending on what route you're looking at. Forget corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook inside to hire

Hard to get the job..

Business Specialist (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsVery high skilled inter personal people. The stores and offices are one of the best. Always keeping up people, who are well talented in their field.

ConsUpdate notifications would be great in order to make future plans as being a prospected candidate. Sometimes, work/life balance was getting over and over.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hiring progress takes such an huge time without giving any notification for candidates

You know where you work with it's ups and downs

Business Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Leading "New Technology" company; just a great place to be at that time
- Company philosophy and commitment
- Flat organisation
- Work place

Cons- Siloed organisation
- Low personal development support
- Lack of commitment outside of the consumer area
- Budget constraints

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the politic, support staff initiatives and improve personal development

Decent company to work for, though there is sales pressure without compensation.

Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat colleagues, okay development, good training in competencies and personal development. Best possible discount on Apple products (still not that much). Best part is colleagues.

ConsWorst part is the pressure to add attachments to sales, though there is no compensation for this and it sometimes feels like they want you to push attachments on customers even if it isn't the right fit for the customer.

Friendly and modern environment

Demand Forecasting (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsApple is filled with people who strive to succeed and people that are always there to help. The office is extremely modern with an iPad controlled coffee machine. The discounts on the Apple products and benefits are extremely good.

ConsProgression within Apple is almost impossible. No matter how much time and effort you put into your work and how talented you are its almost impossible to climb up the ladder in Apple. Numerous people have left for this reason. You have to sign a 3 month termination contract so if you are looking for a job whilst at Apple you will most probably have to give in your resignation before you can start looking for a job unless the company hiring you is willing to wait 3 months!

Advice to Senior ManagementApple in London have almost no options for personal development. I was given numerous projects to manage but was unable to find a project management course available to me. With project management a leadership program would have been great as I would be in charge of leading teams however only managers and senior managers were invited to attend this program that runs once in a couple of years.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 3,092 reviews are posted anonymously by Apple employees.