Apple

3.9 3,485 reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

(1,835 ratings)

Pros
  • Great benefits with above average pay scales for most departments(in 207 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers(in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours(in 190 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors(in 133 reviews)

3,485 Employee Reviews

Pretty decent but no opportunity to advance

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Current Employee) London, England

ProsPeople! I dont have a bad thing to say about anyone I work with

Pay is pretty good for a retail job

The customer interactions are also pretty good fun. If you have banter and smile and do your best to find the best solution for the customer you will find the work very rewarding.

Perks - Apple being Apple gives pretty generous discounts on products, it also offers a pension scheme to all staff, even those working 15 hours a week, as well as discounted stock.

environment - the stores are light and in some ways rather beautiful. Management would rarely micromanage and support you to do what you think is best.

ConsIf you want to climb the ladder I would completely forget about it. Working for Apple Retail will get you NOWHERE near Apple Corporate. Lots of other employers however, including many customers, do appreciate your skills. Many staff in my store got offered jobs from customers.

Sometimes all the company talk and stupid phrases can be excruciating. You think 'omg, did you just say that?!'....it really is that stupid.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow staff a little more appreciation instead of just words. A gift card or product/accessory would be nice from time to time.

Enjoyable, and continuous learning

Business Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

Prosexcellent pay, staff discount, company reputation

Conscan be long hours, stress levels can be very high

Best retail experience you can get. definitely worth taking if you are offered a job

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Birmingham, England

Prosfocused on teamwork and open in communication
    great salaries if you are young
    great benefits especially during festive season
    have a very diverse workforce in terms of interests and hobbies and there is absolutely no boring people

Conssome employees do play politics
    some managers have no idea what they are doing and should not even be in that position
    achievements might not be recognised as easy due to the large size of the workforce
    can be extremely busy during certain periods therefore the whole store will be packed and boiling

Advice to Senior Managementmanagements are very professional, know how to manage their people effectively

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

8 years wasted in a career-less exercise

Creative (Apple Store) (Former Employee) London, England

Prosworking with amazing talent and congenial people.

Getting to help people on a daily basis.

Free Water Bottle for Christmas*.

(*warning - may represent ironic suggestion that Apple rewards its hard working employees with embarrassing and insulting "gestures" from time to time)

ConsFar too many middle Managers.

Middle Management are horrendously under skilled and over arrogant and micromanage to insanely frustrating levels of absurdness.

Staff treated like children.

Petty issues magnified out of all proportions whilst important and meaningful issues are ignored.

Almost no career progression for the vast majority of employees.

Less than adequate pay.

Free Water Bottle For Christmas!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI have none to share as I know you won't take it - but if any execs ever read this - the stores would function so much better with less managers who occupy their time controlling and interfering with every aspect of hard working peoples daily lives. The early days were blissful yet productive and my last days there were hell on Earth. I was lucky enough to serve Apple in the early days and during those times had a brilliant time, investing in training in a respectful and creative environment where everyones talents were appreciated and managers knew how to treat people like human beings. I have great sadness and fear for the wellbeing of those who still work at Apple.

Apple retail specialist

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Former Employee) London, England

ProsThe place is great for young people as well as the creative types. Most of your colleagues will either be from an art, music or media background, which is awesome for networking and being inspired.
    The environment pushes for excellence, which is also good if you have drive and are ambitious.
    A good experience for anyone

ConsMid-management upwards is just terrible with an exception of a few. Considering that a lot of them are terrible suggest that they are put under extreme pressure from higher ups.

My take on the politics is that;
    1 - Little prospects because there are so many talented staff
    2 - This results in competition between peers and middle-management
    3 - you are told to work hard, But hard workers are a "threat" to middle management, as hard working middle management are a threat to weak senior management.
    4 - This causes extreme favoritism for the employees who just follow like sheep, working hard for no reward.

You are more likely to do well in apple retail brown nosing than being good at your job.

Don't be fooled. Steve culture only remains written on the walls. Its all about money now.

Advice to Senior ManagementApple did well because of Steve culture. Your simply riding on that success.
    Figures don't lie, decline in apple interest is the result of the new culture currently being implemented to please the share holders short term pockets.

Was great, unique, now just bog standard retail.

Expert (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThink different (used to) Flexible work hours

ConsTalentless middle managers with no leadership skills (outside hires) no promotion prospects, underpaid overworked. Cultures and values used as tool for productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all 90% of junior managers, no outside hire, more selective hires, way hire wages as no commision for people making money.

Over-promise, under-deliver.

Family Room Specialist (Current Employee) London, England

ProsApple does an excellent job of recruiting people who are friendly, interesting, and conversationally engaging. The end result being that you're colleagues are a largely awesome group of people who you love working with.

ConsThe company recruitment material likes to brag about how your job is so much more than retail. What that really means is that it's retail, with a lot more hard work. You are either pushed to sell phones (and position a enormous number of add-ons) or you are trouble shooting the most tedious issues for weeks on end. It is a mentally and emotionally exhausting job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen companies are taking staff members with multiple degrees and asking them to sell phone cases for 8 hours a day, there is something going wrong. There is no transparency between the work force and management, in terms of pay or in terms of processes. This needs to be addressed.

Career opportunities for the retail specialists who make up the bulk of the work force are also non-existent. It is not at all surprising that the company is seeing enormous turnover of staff at this level.

Great team of staff but intense goals and poor pay rise

Specialist (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat initial training, really interesting group of staff who are most often helpful and friendly. Nice accepting staff culture for the most part.

ConsDepressing taking so much money for a company and earning so little. Too busy. Scheduling random, shift patterns unpredictable.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess petty management. More pay!

Likely to be an amazing experience, but not if you're a fan of Apple...

Specialist (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland

ProsThey hire great people consistently, people you will befriend for a long time. The perks are amazing (just not for your wallet!) and the launch events are always memorable. There are opportunities to develop your career by switching roles and getting training, if you are good enough.

ConsBeing the face of the most recognised company in the world is not always fun. You will have to take a lot of criticism and negativity on the chin for the company. If you aren't prepared for this, and have a lot of passion for Apple's products and vision, it gets quite hard so get ready to grow some seriously thick skin. The other issue now is that Apple Retail's priorities have shifted from the products to profits. I know you might think this is a 'duh!' statement, but I worked there for 5 years and watched the types of training and the attitudes of management change from being product-centric and non-target-driven, to new staff knowing nothing about the products and given target after target to hit. They will up-sell EVERYTHING to customers, despite being the most valuable brand in the world. This was central to me ending my career with Apple.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou do a great job at motivating your people but the targets are relentless and definitely not the spirit of the Apple of old. Maybe I'm naive in thinking that spirit died with Steve Jobs, but there was a noticeable shift in attitudes coinciding with that. Selling stuff to people who don't need it is part and parcel of retail, but it occurs at the extreme end of the scale at Apple and such high-margin goods. Be glad that they are buying your product without shoving care packages and training in their face too.

Apple Retail UK great, Apple Retail Germany not so much

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Former Employee) Southampton, England

ProsEnthusiasts all around you, right on to the products and 'hands on' experience. Understanding and motivating leadership at Apple Retail UK.

ConsVery very limited perspective, low salary. Closed-door policy at Apple Retail Germany and horrible leadership there as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a LOT more opportunities for bottom-up feedback from your valuable front-line employees.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!