Apple

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

(1,574 ratings)

3,126 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits package if you're lucky enough to get full-time"
    in 182 reviews
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 177 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 157 reviews
  • "could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors"
    in 127 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Friendly and modern environment

Demand Forecasting (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsApple is filled with people who strive to succeed and people that are always there to help. The office is extremely modern with an iPad controlled coffee machine. The discounts on the Apple products and benefits are extremely good.

ConsProgression within Apple is almost impossible. No matter how much time and effort you put into your work and how talented you are its almost impossible to climb up the ladder in Apple. Numerous people have left for this reason. You have to sign a 3 month termination contract so if you are looking for a job whilst at Apple you will most probably have to give in your resignation before you can start looking for a job unless the company hiring you is willing to wait 3 months!

Advice to Senior ManagementApple in London have almost no options for personal development. I was given numerous projects to manage but was unable to find a project management course available to me. With project management a leadership program would have been great as I would be in charge of leading teams however only managers and senior managers were invited to attend this program that runs once in a couple of years.

All in all a draining, demoralizing and frustrating job.

Mac Genius (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork with great educated people.

ConsThe management are a complete contradiction to what apple retail is all about. There is no real progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management need to learn to be honest and cut the corporate chat.

Good, then bad, getting good again

I have been working at Apple

ProsRewarding, good pay considering the sector, great discount, meet some absolutely amazing people.

ConsInternal hierarchic nature or long serving staff, new management sometimes don't 'get it'.

Glad to have been a part of it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple

ProsReal sense of achievement. Having been there a long time, seeing it grow from niche to global player was truly special

ConsSalary and benefits outside of the US not that competitive, especially for long serving non-sales staff.

Good for learning some new skills but poor career progression

Genius (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat coworkers with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. Possibility to gain insight into how a large and hugely successful retail organisation is built, specifically with the way in which Apple runs its business as it is considerably different in approach to many other high street retailers. Good advancement up to a point if you are willing to play the corporate game. Great up to a certain point but then if you really want to do anything beyond Retail you have to leave, which culminates in Apple losing their most promising staff.

ConsOnce you reach a certain level within the Retail side there is little further training or progression beyond possible management positions and even these are seldom promoted from within the staff with outside hires being the norm. Poor salary with little increases for long service meaning you are stuck in an underpaid job with no possibility for progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring outside managers from other retail stores. New management does not understand the attitude of general Apple staff which is to do a good job in their own way, not taking well to micromanagement. While this may have worked at other Retail stores this does not work at Apple and leads to confrontation between management and staff that could otherwise be avoided.

Great staff but no respect for personal time

Specialist (Former Employee)
Southampton, England

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsThe team you work with are a great, talented bunch if people. There is always a buzz and you're never bored.

ConsThe needs of the business are always far more important than your needs as a human. There is no respect for your personal time and the scheduling is an over complicated mess. There is too much"micro-managing". There seems to be a lack of opportunity for career progression unless you're willing to live out of a managers pocket.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise people for who they are and what they can do, and stop favouriting people because they're talking the right talk to you. Respect your staff as real people and be willing to make changes for them.

The retail experience

Specialist (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Apple full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, active and fun atmosphere, flexible, will help you to develop, training is the best in the business.

ConsSome staff clueless, don't appreciate you if you contribute above and beyond, require devout relationship to products, alternatives as a suggestion frowned upon.

Nothing to Shout About

Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat in terms of having Apple on your CV, as it is a prominent name in technology today. Great people that you work with, and a moderately good salary for retail.

ConsThey take the idea of everything being 'the same' too far - they treat small stores the same as big stores, particularly in management roles, which in big stores like Regent Street, are poorly used. Employees don't feel valued or respected by the company, and feel like just another face that has been roped in because they know how to put on a smile.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about the bigger stores management, particularly Regent Street. Managers keep on getting added, but none of them actually do any work, and when asked about what they do, they act all secretive. Very much one-sided when it comes to the much idolised idea of 'communication' - management never communicates with us. I asked Store Leaders to communicate with me several times and keep me and the team up to date with our feedback, to which they promised to do so, but never did. Major letdown, especially for such a prestigious company. Our store (Regent Street) actually works better in terms of NPS and staff happiness when managers are on 'awaydays'.

A life changing experience

Lead Cashier (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing experience, and great life skills that will be taught.

ConsInternal politics, and bad pay at Retail shops.

Apple was an exciting and challenging place to work

Education Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFast paced, for anyone willing to put heart and soul into their work. The products and the strategies of Apple can lead to challenges, but the air of mystery around the company brings a certain unique and exciting feel to belonging to the Company that has changed the face of IT.

ConsGetting into Apple is seriously difficult to get into.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmploy people with passion in the product. Passion and experience pay dividends in some specialist markets such as Education and SME. That passion hasn't always been evident, and it means a great deal.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 3,126 reviews are posted anonymously by Apple employees.