Apple

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

(1,578 ratings)

3,132 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits package if you're lucky enough to get full-time"
    in 182 reviews
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 177 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 157 reviews
  • "could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors"
    in 127 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A big Competition

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Current Employee)
Covent Garden, England

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking in a true team - there has never been the most satisfying Customer Service ever

ConsYou do not get paid for the amount effort you put into it. They always promise that everyone can climb up and progress their Career within the Company. At Apple, it is even a bigger Competition

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more Recognition - not by claping your hands saying well done but with Bonus - trust me, a true Teamwork will still remain within Apple!

Ups and Downs

Family Room Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBest reason to work there are the people. Colleagues and customers are amazing and the products you deal with daily are irresistible. Pay is not sales based so your under no pressure to sell sell sell

Conscompetition for career progression is fierce and hard to come by. If your looking at moving from a retail role into a corporate role then dream on, they like to keep you working at what your trained at, selling stuff. Corporate roles are only shared with you because it makes the company look better. Also all the manager seem to be hired from pret or Starbucks, in short they don't really have a clue how to handle irate customers who have spent between £500 - £2,000 on a bit of kit!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities to progress for your staff i think, you don't realise what an amazing pool of talent you have down there. Being exposed to customers like they do every day, they understand the products and what the consumers want much better than you

Great values, poor middle management

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat products, concepts, values and thinking. Good benefit plan. Top environment in some locations. A very good school to grow to senior postions afterwards

ConsArrogant HR, not accessible, unilateral decisions impacts your net salary, weak training offering and career plan. in some countries very small teams

Great place for all.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple

ProsGreat Leadership. Flat org. Always working with the "A" level people in whatever discipline. It was well stabled there was a true caring for the lives and balance of work life here.

ConsTendency to get folks to work to the breaking point before they get support.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder at anticipating burn out. Look to be more competitive with the wages.

overly positive with limited possibilities to progress

Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple

Prosunforgettable retail experience, chance to learn top of the range retail solutions, very creative environment

Conslong hours, irregular schedule, most managers coming from either Gap or Satrbucks;

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more time in training and career development

Exiting, demanding and questioning

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple

ProsUnique company culture, actually effective in daily business.
Pride in what we do and how we do it.
A lot human thinking and knowledge —positive values— go in our products. It can be truely beautiful.
A lot to learn from the ability this company has to focus and to stick to a direction.

ConsVery demanding. Burn out danger.
Less proud of Apple's greed, too apparent on several levels. Makes it harder to relate to other (and real) Apple values.
Not much of a career path.
We have the hardest time to let go of our arrogance.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what your employee, customers and even products are about: human values. Not just money. Tim may get us there.

An enjoyable job ruined by atrocious management

Family Room Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple

ProsThe job roles and work is enormously enjoyable.
You get discounts on Apple stuff
Your colleagues will be brilliant
Apple is great to have on your CV

ConsPoor quality management
Total lack of commitment to training and development
Highly macro managed work environment makes changing the tinniest details near impossible

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

The shine has come off the Apple

I have been working at Apple

ProsFast paced environment, nice modern surroundings, all the latest gadgets to play with, feedback given at all times, the days go quick.

ConsThe work/life balance Apple keep banging on about is non existent, barley a moment to take a break, let alone your lunch, too secretive, the internal database and systems aren't fit for purpose - makes ud look stupid in front of the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open, sort out the databases and deliveries of stock so your staff don't feel like banging their head on a brick wall.

Never bored, but never relaxed

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple

ProsHigh pace, high energy, change is the norm. Working for a successful company is exillaratimg. Proud of what we do and how we do it. A strong identity, hence clear directions. Room to express yourself. Clever and motivated people. And my kids love the Apple T-shirts.

ConsVery demanding, without time to step back and take some distance. As soon as any process or project reaches maturity, we change all over again and start from scratch. Hard to build on experience under such conditions. Tiring, to not say exhausting sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementCalm down, take a long breath, take time to sit down. Change is not always great.

Amazing! ...Before the dream faded & I realised the real face of Apple Retail

Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple

ProsMeeting some amazing people
Bragging rights
Apple on your CV really does open doors, I can't lie.

ConsSome of the management team are so terrible at their jobs (product-knowledge, social skills, experience) it's shocking that they have such a position of power within the store.
It is HECTIC. You may be excited by this, but even on days when you feel terrible, there is absolutely nowhere to hide. This may be great for the first month or two, but down the line, it's a horrendous feeling to be bombarded by customers non-stop for a whole shift, especially when questions are always the same!
As an employee of Apple Retail you are the lowest of the low.. You know NOTHING, and never will! But customers just won't believe you...
The discount isn't even good!!! When you consider how much money you're bringing into the company every shift, which you get 0 commission for (or so they say...), you'd think the discount would be MUCH better.
16hrs is the minimum contract, no matter how good you are! If you're thinking about going into the company then dropping down hours, they WILL get rid of you before your 3month probation ends, again, no matter how good you are.
Having to sell different add-ons with products is patronising, and such a con, because you get nothing for it... Unless you're looking to be promoted, in which case it means everything, because your sales figures are taken into account. Hilarious! This is why nobody ever gets to easily access management from a sales position, because if your sales figures are THAT good, why would Apple not want you active on the shop-floor? It's a vicious Apply circle.
Apple constantly hire people, because they can. Ultimately, you mean nothing to them. If you're not happy with something, they'll get rid of you, and hire a shiny new specialist into the business.
Apple Retail UK is NOT Apple Inc. You're working in a shop, which happens to be called Apple, selling computers for an hourly wage. Don't think you're anything special, because you're really not.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise the potential of your Red-Zone team, and be grateful that such skilled and potentially-brilliant people throw themselves at the opportunity to work for your company. If you want Apple Retail UK to BE different to other retailers, don't act like other retailers!
Recruit management from within. A huge number of people only join the company as Specialists in order to move up the chain, then realise this won't happen, but remain in their roles because something's better than nothing, right? Wrong. Don't dangle a carrot in front of your employees faces, just be straight up with them. You WILL NOT progress to management from being a Specialist. You MAY get to Family Room though, if vacancies are available.
Pay better, and give a better discount. I was stunned that both were so low for Specialist positions.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 3,132 reviews are posted anonymously by Apple employees.