Apple

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

(1,560 ratings)

3,107 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits package if you're lucky enough to get full-time"
    in 182 reviews
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 177 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 157 reviews
  • "could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors"
    in 127 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The Genius role at Apple Retail offered a satisfying day-to-day with a fantastic team, but limited career opportunities.

Mac Genius (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1. Apple Retail tends to hire people who are sociable and creative, and it was fantastic to be part of a vibrant team with many shared personal interests. There was a strong community spirit and a willingness to help each other out. Working with the vast majority of my colleagues was a pleasure; I made many friends during my time with the company.

2. The Genius role is split between seeing customers to diagnose their issues, and physically repairing Apple hardware. I found a great deal of satisfaction in both the problem-solving and customer relationship management elements of the job. Diagnosing and resolving issues within tight time frames kept a healthy pressure up and provided clear performance goals. There was good support from management for personal development within the role. The service strategy changed a lot during my time at Apple (less attention on individual customers in order to serve a greater number), but that was an unfortunate reality of the growing demand. I still enjoyed the day-to-day work right up until I left Apple for a new opportunity.

3. Apple Retail has a young and diverse culture. Tattoos, bright hair and piercings are all completely acceptable among staff. Dress code was very relaxed... Wearing trainers every day and shorts in summer was bliss.

4. Genius pay is very good for a job that does not formally require a degree. I worked for Apple for nearly three years and received three incremental annual pay rises, leaving on ~£25k as a Genius with a year's experience in the role. Considerable discounts were available on Apple products for myself, friends and family. Apple employees received preferable rates in many of the local eateries and, most importantly, pubs. Store meetings and product launches were often effervescent affairs with free food, drink and entertainment.

Cons1. Career progression abruptly halted once I reached the Genius role. I started off with Apple as a part-time sales advisor ('Specialist') and successive promotions happened quickly, but the Genius position sits in a comfortable little cul-de-sac thereafter. Geniuses in Apple Retail are remunerated well but cannot easily continue a technical career into Apple Corporate as there is often a qualifications barrier to entry. Perhaps understandably, Apple does not have a career pathway that allows Geniuses to train for Corporate roles in the absence of degrees in computer science, electronic engineering or similar.
The general consensus seemed to be that while there is no stigma attached to working for Apple Retail, it is held at arm's length from Corporate and aspirational talk from management about moving across as part of one's career path is largely lip-service. Multiple colleagues of mine had secondments to Corporate but were not offered permanent positions. My advice is that if you want a role within Apple as a wider organisation, it is better to gain more relevant experience elsewhere than get your foot in the door with Apple Retail.

2. See 'Advice to Management'.

Advice to Senior ManagementApple has an all-smiling culture of frequent high-fives, hugs and friendliness. This was normally lovely but such warm behaviours became painfully contrived whenever management were trying make changes that would have a negative impact on employees (holiday restrictions, irregular shifts etc.). During my time with the company, most managers seemed compelled to dismiss challenges to such issues with a wearily forced smile and a condescending statement about how not being able to take time off is actually a positive opportunity to 'transform the lives' of more customers. Managers were often very nice people but confidence in them to sincerely respond to concerns was low.

Apple Retail management should learn that when it needs to implement a difficult change for its staff, leaders must stop patronising them with some heavily-spun 'greater good' nonsense, and have an adult and honest conversation about why such changes are required. This was by far the most frustrating thing about working for Apple.

Mixed bag

Milton Keynes, England

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

ProsI was overjoyed when I first started, within a month I was top salesman in my store without really trying, my enthusiasm and soft sell approach worked really well. It was my first job out of uni and I was ambitious and motivated by the prospect dangled in front of me of promotion to the creative level.

On the plus side Apple does train staff in many areas that will help you land future jobs, the working environment is casual and having Apple on your resume opens doors.

ConsMy starting wage was only £7.50 per hour (this was in 2008) and Apple doesn't pay commission which I think is totally unfair. I was selling upwards of £5000 worth of products a day (in a small store) and I earned just as much as the concierge who just stood at the door and said hello to customers. I was told I would be given a full time contract but that never came despite my hard work and consistent top sales - instead another part timer was hired. I asked to be enrolled in the creative training offered and a few months later a number of staff were taken for creative training (including the part timer hired after me) but I was left out with no explanation given. Perhaps they wanted me to keep their sales up instead. The middle management is terrible, even more so in the big stores in London where I worked later - Regent street for example, has 500 employees and in my interview my manager admitted he didn't know half the staff.

On good days you'll spend your time demonstrating video/music/image software and hardware with customers. On average days you'll spend your time selling iPhone cases to fat businessmen and dealing with a lot of angry people (especially in London)

I went in a few months from being the model Apple employee to the most cynical one because I worked hard but was not rewarded with a full time contract or commission.

I'll never work in Apple retail again.

Advice to Senior Managementreward sales with commission

Incredible personal growth, with an expiry date.

I worked at Apple part-time for more than 3 years

ProsAn enriching environment to interact and work with some of the most fulfilling people - Apple's open and friendly working environment promotes the most memorable interactions, experiences, technical knowledge and personal growth with both colleagues and fascinating members of the public. Refreshingly, there isn't a major focus on targets but more on human experience and places a great importance on rapport, with a great belief that everything else just fits into place.

ConsCan be very difficult to move up into further positions that are initially alluded to being very much within reach. There is a very bureaucratic 'check-box' approach to promotion. Mentors can be beyond patronising with the slightest of self-awareness. Chronic micro-managing from people of managerial positions employed with the wrong attitude and bad retail habits change an entire store's morale, ethos and performance. Most people within this position are less knowledgable than their own team both technically and semantically. Some of Apple's internal culture has become socially outdated, transparent, often passive aggressively manipulated, and needs a revamp focusing around true authenticity.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee freedom and creativity allows for the most outstanding performance. Don't let Apple's pioneering and incredibly flourishing environment be hampered by controlling and paranoid attitudes to individual workflow and skew the big, bright picture.

Challenging, demanding, exhausting and on occasions frustrating but never boring.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSpirit and corporate values remain strong. Really interesting to read recently about Tim Cook's reaction to "profits-first policies"... remain strong AND evolve ?

ConsSalaries are not the best in the industry. Not much room to grow if you are not in the headquarters. Rest is common human shortcomings to be found everywhere: Apple is not on another planet.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you have been mainly lucky to be there at that time and evaluate more humbly your real contribution to Apple's success. That's the best way for positive evolution.

Innovative

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking in a Specialist capacity you get to network and exchange ideas with a large group of like minded, creative individuals on a day to day basic.

ConsOn the flip side of that coin, working as a Specialist in a Sales roles reeks of having to deal with at times many irate and unwilling customers who are very rude and mean to staff as they pitch fits about the 'customer is always right' even when they make impossible demands.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay and more respect for employees. Sales is a very hard field to be in.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Specialist at Apple

London, England

I worked at Apple part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people to work with, enthusiastic working environment

ConsPay could be better considering the company's financial position

Pretty decent but no opportunity to advance

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than a year

ProsPeople! I dont have a bad thing to say about anyone I work with

Pay is pretty good for a retail job

The customer interactions are also pretty good fun. If you have banter and smile and do your best to find the best solution for the customer you will find the work very rewarding.

Perks - Apple being Apple gives pretty generous discounts on products, it also offers a pension scheme to all staff, even those working 15 hours a week, as well as discounted stock.

environment - the stores are light and in some ways rather beautiful. Management would rarely micromanage and support you to do what you think is best.

ConsIf you want to climb the ladder I would completely forget about it. Working for Apple Retail will get you NOWHERE near Apple Corporate. Lots of other employers however, including many customers, do appreciate your skills. Many staff in my store got offered jobs from customers.

Sometimes all the company talk and stupid phrases can be excruciating. You think 'omg, did you just say that?!'....it really is that stupid.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow staff a little more appreciation instead of just words. A gift card or product/accessory would be nice from time to time.

Not what it used to be

Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood name for your CV, quite a decent salary. Very friendly co workers many people I am still in contact with, opportunity to learn if you want. Fun store meetings and good treats and food on special occasions especially product launches!

Some opportunity for career progression within store, but if you want to go to the corporate side your better off quitting and reapplying!

ConsTraining has become really lack, instead of teaching staff about the actual product (especially mac) the focus has been shifted to customer service focus. They treat you like children i.e. you have to ask permission for toilet breaks, ask to go on lunch break which are often scheduled far to early on in your shift (School like culture).

The management are extremely fake and patronising, speak to you as if you are 10 years old. Although there are no direct sales targets, they are extremely focused on the feedback received from customers so they can look good. Some of the best staff put on performance plans as they are claimed to not be innovative enough! Too many managers on the shop floor at one time simply baby sitting.

There used to be a relaxed culture that resulted in the staff delivering amazing customer service as they were generally happy, but now everyone is forcing themselves to look busy in a bid to avoid being approached by a manager. You have to act fake the whole shift, so actors this may be a good role of choice!

Also the staff discounts are rather stingy, only one real discount per year per product. No bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in training again!! It will naturally have an effect on customer experience. Staff already possess good customer service skills otherwise they wouldn't have gotten the job initially.

High energy, demanding, confusing and incohesive management structure

Specialist (Current Employee)
Southampton, England

I have been working at Apple part-time for less than a year

ProsHigh pay, interesting, great benefits

ConsDo not believe the hype, they are still a retail company

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate more, do not play games with your employees

Enjoyable, and continuous learning

Business Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Prosexcellent pay, staff discount, company reputation

Conscan be long hours, stress levels can be very high

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 3,107 reviews are posted anonymously by Apple employees.