Apple Reviews

3,692 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
1,963 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 208 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 194 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 194 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 133 reviews)

More Highlights

Great!

Current Employee - Specialist  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Apple part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team around you. Always supported by managers and staff. Great discount and employee stock purchase plan.

Cons

Busy stores. Lots of people asking about iPhone 6!

Increase the hourly pay.

Started amazing but decreased rapidly

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun staff to work with
    Limited but good discount
    Was a family environment but this turned to high turnover and profits. More care given to customers money rather than their experience.

Cons

No progression
    Bad management
    No care for work/life balance

Look after your staff
    Do not make empty promises
    If someone is not good enough for a management role do not demote them to a role that others are aspiring too. It lessens the chances and aspirations.

Don't be woo'd by the brand

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- If you are french, speak french or have been to a top french business school - this is a great company to work for in Europe
    - All your friends think you work for the coolest company
    - Employee discount
    - Stock - the only reason most people stay is because of the share options.

Cons

- Zero career potential - most people have been over-hired into more junior roles and are expected to execute in that role forever - lots of people have been doing the same role for 5-10 years or longer. There is very little upward promotion if any and almost zero lateral movement as Apple just hires externally people for roles and doesn't develop anyone internally.
    - Lack of any leadership - there is no leadership in EMEA in Apple since the previous VP left - the new VP is responsible for most of the world and his only visibility is on a quarterly communications call handing out meaningless sales awards
    - Micro management - most of the leadership in Apple are micro managers who are detail obsessed often in the irrelevant detail rather than things that matter - lots of time, energy and skill is wasted by smart people creating presentations that go nowhere
    - Don't be woo'd by the brand - too many smart people are woo'd by working for Apple the brand and discover when they join that their job is incredibly limited in scope and that their previous skills and experiences are ignored as 'that's not the way it's done in Apple'
    - Technology - very few people have the latest Mac and even less have the latest iPhone - Apple doesn't want to invest in providing it's employees with the latest iPhone, Mac or iPad. Recently one team got given iPads and they were the iPad 2 - this was when iPad 4 had been released. Most people are still using iPhone 4 or 5 when the 5s has been out for over a year.
    - Training - there is very little professional development training - most training is orientated to brain washing you to think the way 'Apple' works - rather than how to develop you as an individual.

Apple needs to seriously consider how it grows, develops and retains it's staff. Too many good people have been leaving recently and the arrogance of 'they were lucky to have worked for Apple' won't last very long. The people that are staying in the company are just waiting for their stock to vest and those people aren't the great employees you want to hold on to.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A bright start to a career, you have to be strong to survive but don't expect to get too far without moving on.

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Apple Retail gave me some great life skills that I have adapted to work, now outside of Apple. I wouldn't be the person I am today without these. The culture of inclusion within the stores can be hit and miss but when it is just right you will feel like you are part of a big family. I have made friends for life and will never forget or regret the time I spent there.

Cons

The management team are more often then not put under stresses to hit targets that they can not meet. This has destroyed the once great culture of openness at Apple and has resulted in results driven staff as a posed to long term culture driving ideals.

I was once issued a 9 out of 9 review after having a fantastic year at the company to then 2 weeks later have that removed from me because of pressure from higher levels above stores to give lower reviews/pay rises. This was a kick in the teeth after the work I had put in and the recognition I was proud to have achieved.

Invest in long term wins and don't think for a second that you are pulling the wool over Apple Store employees eyes when you say one thing and mean another. Be legit and forthcoming and never go back on your word.

enjoyed working for Apple

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Solihull, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in Solihull, England

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

they are friendly and fun

Cons

a lot of training, challenging with customers

need to build up salary per year

Awesome

Former Employee - Genius  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Genius in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best place to work at

Cons

Nothing to say since everything is amazing

It's not all what you think: a Corporate European head office perspective

Former Employee - Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Came across some of the most intelligent people from across the globe
    - People outside of Apple (or even those working in the retail store) think it must be amazing working for Apple (really it is not if you work corporate)
    - Nice offices (the illusion to keep you in the "wow" factor)
    - Business Macbook & iPhone (some departments get iPads too)
    - If you survive in Apple Corporate, you can survive almost anywhere

Cons

- No career growth: you have to fight for yourself, you will be lucky if you have a "nice" manager that "helps"
    - Work comes first attitude: "it doesn't matter what is happening in your life, get it done"
    - Back stabbing, two faced politics, lies
    - Lack of recognition for hard work
    - Surprisingly low pay compared to similar jobs in industry
    - Not valuing their employees: "it is a privilege to work at Apple, we can easily replace you"
    - Useless HR: incompetent and essentially managers spies; serious waste of space
    - Extremely under staffed
    - Unreasonable demands that have you working evenings (till morning) and weekend for things which end up not even being important
    - Serious lack of sense of "team": everybody is out for themselves
    - Pay rises are in % increases unless you get "promoted" (you aren't really given a new job, just a lot more responsibility and a bit more money, but sometimes no change to title or hierarchy placement) the amount can be insignificant. Max % increase was 10%, and that is really rare to get! ADVICE: negotiate a big base before joining so those % are worth more.
    - Company brainwashing practices are common (seminars, lectures, lessons). Its hard to believe how many people buy into it internally
    - Please note that the Europe Head office (in London) appeared to be a special case of intensity. The UK office and other European offices appeared to be not as bad (at least from my perspective). Though when weneeded things done by the local offices, they would feel our pain too. Till this day, the Local teams do not know how lucky they have it vs the Head office. I can only imagine how bad it is in the World HQ in Cupertino

- Look after your employees, they are your greatest asset. A lot of your best people leave or are looking to leave. Or even worse, have be grinded down so much they are no longer giving 100%
    - Hire more people
    - Reward people better
    - Help people to grow and move

Fun

Current Employee - Specialist  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, good wage, and an interesting environment - doesn't feel like a retail job but rather an advisory role. No need to sell the product, it sells itself. You are just guiding customers to the best option for their needs.

Cons

Very rigid on hours. I had to leave when going back to university as they could not cut my hours down to fit in with studies, despite glowing reviews from manager and colleagues, and strong metrics (not that these were overly important to apple)

Put in a lot... don't get a lot back

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasonable wages, good employee discounts and benefits.

Cons

very busy, stress full, very little progression unless you want to become a technician, little recognition for work put in.

recognise the talent your team has and build on it. Don't let them grow to resent the company and yourselves by failing to notice them.

Awsome

Former Employee - Storage Engineer  in  Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best place to work and learn

Cons

nothing to mention as it is the best place

awsome management

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!