Apple Reviews

3,890 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,131 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 240 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 204 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 243 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 148 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting and fun

Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience good look on CV

Cons

No progression, stagnant and tend to get bored

Be more realistic

It is so fulfilling being part of a company that changed the world..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was magical for most of the time. Took great pride in the freedom to develop opportunities

Cons

Some people were there for their own gratification - but those were few and far between.

Understand the value of experience and dedication.

2 years at Apple (retail store 'Specialist')

Current Employee - Specialist in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in Bristol, England

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exciting company to work for.
    If you're suited for the role, it's very rewarding to provide solutions for customers.
    I had a phenomenal store leader - don't know if everyone else does, but he was pretty spectacular as a management figure.
    Comfortable working environment
    Not 100% target driven. Good morals/values.

Cons

For the mediocre salary, a lot is demanded of 'Specialists' for our knowledge level and the demands placed on us. Don't go into it thinking it will be a run-of-the-mill retail job - it's a lot more demanding than that.
    No career progression at all for the vast majority of employees.
    This is because EVERYONE wants to work for apple, which results in them cherry-picking the absolute cream of society for even the most 'basic' retail roles such as mine. Therefore, to stand out and be one of the very few people who get any kind of career progression each year, you have to be an unbelievable human being - and frankly, if you are, you could be earning a lot more elsewhere.

Excellent in most aspects. However, you should be painfully aware of the talent working for you, and remind yourselves regularly that the acceptance rate is less than 1% in the first place. Every person there is phenomenal would most likely be better off financially in almost any other company - we are only working for Apple because we enjoy it. Either reward this through higher pay, or through some form of career progression.

Springboard Job

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Poor pay but otherwise decent company to work with. Looks good on a CV

Cons

Pay was pretty bad compared to Google & Facebook. Also, the culture is much more rigid.

Need improvement

Former Employee - Retail Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Retail Assistant in London, England

I worked at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice benefits, good salary, interrsting job

Cons

Long hours, rigid hierarchy, no exit opportunities

Left with awesome friends, let down by management

Former Employee - Specialist in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Specialist in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Learnt a lot about the company and respected its values
    - Met a lot of like minded people who I still keep in contact with
    - Great pay for a university student, with great benefits
    - Customers always willing to listen to advice, unlike in other retail stores

Cons

- Work-life balance, I was still studying at the time and struggled with working around lectures and tutorials
    - No room for movement, very much 'Apple politics': if they like you, you'll get the job
    - Internal gossip unnoticed by higher ups (corporate)
    - If you don't do it 100% 'the Apple way' you won't be there for long

Favouritism is not the way to promote staff, and spreading private information should not be tolerated. Good trainers for new employees is a must!!

Don't be woo'd by the brand

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- If you are french, speak french or have been to a top french business school - this is a great company to work for in Europe
    - All your friends think you work for the coolest company
    - Employee discount
    - Stock - the only reason most people stay is because of the share options.

Cons

- Zero career potential - most people have been over-hired into more junior roles and are expected to execute in that role forever - lots of people have been doing the same role for 5-10 years or longer. There is very little upward promotion if any and almost zero lateral movement as Apple just hires externally people for roles and doesn't develop anyone internally.
    - Lack of any leadership - there is no leadership in EMEA in Apple since the previous VP left - the new VP is responsible for most of the world and his only visibility is on a quarterly communications call handing out meaningless sales awards
    - Micro management - most of the leadership in Apple are micro managers who are detail obsessed often in the irrelevant detail rather than things that matter - lots of time, energy and skill is wasted by smart people creating presentations that go nowhere
    - Don't be woo'd by the brand - too many smart people are woo'd by working for Apple the brand and discover when they join that their job is incredibly limited in scope and that their previous skills and experiences are ignored as 'that's not the way it's done in Apple'
    - Technology - very few people have the latest Mac and even less have the latest iPhone - Apple doesn't want to invest in providing it's employees with the latest iPhone, Mac or iPad. Recently one team got given iPads and they were the iPad 2 - this was when iPad 4 had been released. Most people are still using iPhone 4 or 5 when the 5s has been out for over a year.
    - Training - there is very little professional development training - most training is orientated to brain washing you to think the way 'Apple' works - rather than how to develop you as an individual.

Apple needs to seriously consider how it grows, develops and retains it's staff. Too many good people have been leaving recently and the arrogance of 'they were lucky to have worked for Apple' won't last very long. The people that are staying in the company are just waiting for their stock to vest and those people aren't the great employees you want to hold on to.

Started amazing but decreased rapidly

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in London, England
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun staff to work with
    Limited but good discount
    Was a family environment but this turned to high turnover and profits. More care given to customers money rather than their experience.

Cons

No progression
    Bad management
    No care for work/life balance

Look after your staff
    Do not make empty promises
    If someone is not good enough for a management role do not demote them to a role that others are aspiring too. It lessens the chances and aspirations.

A bright start to a career, you have to be strong to survive but don't expect to get too far without moving on.

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in London, England
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Apple Retail gave me some great life skills that I have adapted to work, now outside of Apple. I wouldn't be the person I am today without these. The culture of inclusion within the stores can be hit and miss but when it is just right you will feel like you are part of a big family. I have made friends for life and will never forget or regret the time I spent there.

Cons

The management team are more often then not put under stresses to hit targets that they can not meet. This has destroyed the once great culture of openness at Apple and has resulted in results driven staff as a posed to long term culture driving ideals.

I was once issued a 9 out of 9 review after having a fantastic year at the company to then 2 weeks later have that removed from me because of pressure from higher levels above stores to give lower reviews/pay rises. This was a kick in the teeth after the work I had put in and the recognition I was proud to have achieved.

Invest in long term wins and don't think for a second that you are pulling the wool over Apple Store employees eyes when you say one thing and mean another. Be legit and forthcoming and never go back on your word.

Great!

Current Employee - Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team around you. Always supported by managers and staff. Great discount and employee stock purchase plan.

Cons

Busy stores. Lots of people asking about iPhone 6!

Increase the hourly pay.