Apple

4,003 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,212 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

Specialist: great job if you don't mind people

Former Employee - Specialist
    Former Employee - Specialist

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent work environment and a strong company culture. Store leadership was good and flexible with working hours when I worked part time.

Cons

Can get monotonous at times, and salary is less than I would have thought for the work you put in. I didnt see much opportunity to move into corporate.

Give feedback to employees more frequently, and share updates about how the store is doing more frequently.

Great

Former Employee - Intern in London, England
    Former Employee - Intern in London, England

I worked at Apple as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

opportunity to learn from best

Cons

should really pay a better salary

pay better

Fantastic firm to work for if you are interested in pursuing a career retail.

Current Employee - Specialist in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very supportive work environment, with help on hand at all times. The company's commitment to integrity and putting the customer first is very refreshing.

Cons

Due to large numbers of staff working in-store, it may be challenging for employees seeking a quick and easy journey up the corporate ladder.

It's good for a retail job!

Former Employee - Specialist/Expert in Liverpool, England
    Former Employee - Specialist/Expert in Liverpool, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great peers, good pay for retail, initial training is in-depth and excellent. They are good at hiring fun, social people. It's easy to make close friends and that makes coming to work a lot more fun. Discounts are pretty good.
    At the end of the day, for a retail job, it's great, but people shouldn't come into it expecting that they are going to go from a Specialist to the marketing team or something like that.

Cons

It's very competitive if you're looking to get out of retail and do something more organisational, and some of the management can be.....frustrating. Many are unwilling to get out on the floor and actually help customers which, when it's busy and everyone is in the same color shirt can give a confusing message to customers. Additionally, they usually play favorites for promotions and "career experiences" so if the impression you make is negative in the first couple of weeks, it's going to take you a LONG time to get around that.

Stop hiring managers who are unwilling to go out on the floor and help when it's busy or who are unwilling to even learn about what it exactly is that the specialists, FRS, etc do. The best managers I had at Apple were ones who had either started as specialists, or were willing to spend at least a couple of days as a specialist to get a real understanding of what it was they were coaching. If you aren't willing to understand the tasks, you're not going to be very good at coaching those tasks and the specialists are not taking you seriously (I promise you they are talking about you in the break room and how you don't know what you're talking about). On that note: the retail training department needs to send their program designers out into the store so they have more "real life" experiences to draw from for future trainings.

Ok at first

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great talent and always at the forfront of technology

Cons

To get on your face has to fit. No chance of movement.

Exciting and fun

Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience good look on CV

Cons

No progression, stagnant and tend to get bored

Be more realistic

It is so fulfilling being part of a company that changed the world..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was magical for most of the time. Took great pride in the freedom to develop opportunities

Cons

Some people were there for their own gratification - but those were few and far between.

Understand the value of experience and dedication.

Ok at first but just stupid retail as usual

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Apple

Pros

Better pay per hour. Learned how to get along with others

Cons

Little hours when part time unless a launch. Work you like a horse with no real room for growth as they always hire people from elsewhere for jobs above specialists. Take forever to make someone full time.

Don't play favorite. Give people what they deserve because of their record and work ethic. I worked for this company for close to two years. Relocated and was placed in a first level interview and didn't receive my job back. This was after less than a year break after moving internationally, getting married and applying for work visa. It's a shame I couldn't keep my job once in Plymouth, UK. I think it was discriminatory behaviour and Apple didn't do anything about it. I had great promoter scores and also a successful interview. This store was a joke with managers that had less experience with apple than I did!

2 years at Apple (retail store 'Specialist')

Current Employee - Specialist in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in Bristol, England

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exciting company to work for.
    If you're suited for the role, it's very rewarding to provide solutions for customers.
    I had a phenomenal store leader - don't know if everyone else does, but he was pretty spectacular as a management figure.
    Comfortable working environment
    Not 100% target driven. Good morals/values.

Cons

For the mediocre salary, a lot is demanded of 'Specialists' for our knowledge level and the demands placed on us. Don't go into it thinking it will be a run-of-the-mill retail job - it's a lot more demanding than that.
    No career progression at all for the vast majority of employees.
    This is because EVERYONE wants to work for apple, which results in them cherry-picking the absolute cream of society for even the most 'basic' retail roles such as mine. Therefore, to stand out and be one of the very few people who get any kind of career progression each year, you have to be an unbelievable human being - and frankly, if you are, you could be earning a lot more elsewhere.

Excellent in most aspects. However, you should be painfully aware of the talent working for you, and remind yourselves regularly that the acceptance rate is less than 1% in the first place. Every person there is phenomenal would most likely be better off financially in almost any other company - we are only working for Apple because we enjoy it. Either reward this through higher pay, or through some form of career progression.

Springboard Job

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Poor pay but otherwise decent company to work with. Looks good on a CV

Cons

Pay was pretty bad compared to Google & Facebook. Also, the culture is much more rigid.