Apple

4,085 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,258 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome

Former Employee - Genius in London, England
    Former Employee - Genius in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best place to work at

Cons

Nothing to say since everything is amazing

enjoyed working for Apple

Current Employee - Specialist in Solihull, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in Solihull, England

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

they are friendly and fun

Cons

a lot of training, challenging with customers

need to build up salary per year

It's not all what you think: a Corporate European head office perspective

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Came across some of the most intelligent people from across the globe
    - People outside of Apple (or even those working in the retail store) think it must be amazing working for Apple (really it is not if you work corporate)
    - Nice offices (the illusion to keep you in the "wow" factor)
    - Business Macbook & iPhone (some departments get iPads too)
    - If you survive in Apple Corporate, you can survive almost anywhere

Cons

- No career growth: you have to fight for yourself, you will be lucky if you have a "nice" manager that "helps"
    - Work comes first attitude: "it doesn't matter what is happening in your life, get it done"
    - Back stabbing, two faced politics, lies
    - Lack of recognition for hard work
    - Surprisingly low pay compared to similar jobs in industry
    - Not valuing their employees: "it is a privilege to work at Apple, we can easily replace you"
    - Useless HR: incompetent and essentially managers spies; serious waste of space
    - Extremely under staffed
    - Unreasonable demands that have you working evenings (till morning) and weekend for things which end up not even being important
    - Serious lack of sense of "team": everybody is out for themselves
    - Pay rises are in % increases unless you get "promoted" (you aren't really given a new job, just a lot more responsibility and a bit more money, but sometimes no change to title or hierarchy placement) the amount can be insignificant. Max % increase was 10%, and that is really rare to get! ADVICE: negotiate a big base before joining so those % are worth more.
    - Company brainwashing practices are common (seminars, lectures, lessons). Its hard to believe how many people buy into it internally
    - Please note that the Europe Head office (in London) appeared to be a special case of intensity. The UK office and other European offices appeared to be not as bad (at least from my perspective). Though when weneeded things done by the local offices, they would feel our pain too. Till this day, the Local teams do not know how lucky they have it vs the Head office. I can only imagine how bad it is in the World HQ in Cupertino

- Look after your employees, they are your greatest asset. A lot of your best people leave or are looking to leave. Or even worse, have be grinded down so much they are no longer giving 100%
    - Hire more people
    - Reward people better
    - Help people to grow and move

Awsome

Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best place to work and learn

Cons

nothing to mention as it is the best place

awsome management

Put in a lot... don't get a lot back

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reasonable wages, good employee discounts and benefits.

Cons

very busy, stress full, very little progression unless you want to become a technician, little recognition for work put in.

recognise the talent your team has and build on it. Don't let them grow to resent the company and yourselves by failing to notice them.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Mac Genius
    Current Employee - Mac Genius

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good career progression, fast paced environment. Good pay and benefits. A good place to develop a career with on going training.

Cons

Sometimes moving to a new role can be a challenge. Can be very political at times. Hard to be noticed

My Career

Current Employee - Specialist in Grays, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in Grays, England

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for the company. You learn something new everyday within the company and each day is a different experience.

Cons

I cant con apple i have been there 6 and half years. Over the time it has made me a better person at work and personal life. Which you take into day to day life

rest Company

Former Employee - Specialist in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Specialist in Brighton, England

I worked at Apple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work around you, they make you feel very involved and have a great community.

Cons

Very few, can't name any off the top of my head.

Great care, limited progression

Current Employee - Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Apple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great care for its people, best paid retail job out there and they love to see you thrive. No pushy sales tactics, just based on your ability to deliver a great service.

Cons

Progression is very limited. It's difficult, and if you make it to Expert, Business Specialist or similar, that's it.. there's no path onward from that point. Unless you have outside managerial experience, the most you'll get paid at Apple Retail will be mid 20k.

Don't advertise great progression routes if that's not the case.

The Genius role at Apple Retail offered a satisfying day-to-day with a fantastic team, but limited career opportunities.

Former Employee - Mac Genius in London, England
    Former Employee - Mac Genius in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Apple Retail tends to hire people who are sociable and creative, and it was fantastic to be part of a vibrant team with many shared personal interests. There was a strong community spirit and a willingness to help each other out. Working with the vast majority of my colleagues was a pleasure; I made many friends during my time with the company.

2. The Genius role is split between seeing customers to diagnose their issues, and physically repairing Apple hardware. I found a great deal of satisfaction in both the problem-solving and customer relationship management elements of the job. Diagnosing and resolving issues within tight time frames kept a healthy pressure up and provided clear performance goals. There was good support from management for personal development within the role. The service strategy changed a lot during my time at Apple (less attention on individual customers in order to serve a greater number), but that was an unfortunate reality of the growing demand. I still enjoyed the day-to-day work right up until I left Apple for a new opportunity.

3. Apple Retail has a young and diverse culture. Tattoos, bright hair and piercings are all completely acceptable among staff. Dress code was very relaxed... Wearing trainers every day and shorts in summer was bliss.

4. Genius pay is very good for a job that does not formally require a degree. I worked for Apple for nearly three years and received three incremental annual pay rises, leaving on ~£25k as a Genius with a year's experience in the role. Considerable discounts were available on Apple products for myself, friends and family. Apple employees received preferable rates in many of the local eateries and, most importantly, pubs. Store meetings and product launches were often effervescent affairs with free food, drink and entertainment.

Cons

1. Career progression abruptly halted once I reached the Genius role. I started off with Apple as a part-time sales advisor ('Specialist') and successive promotions happened quickly, but the Genius position sits in a comfortable little cul-de-sac thereafter. Geniuses in Apple Retail are remunerated well but cannot easily continue a technical career into Apple Corporate as there is often a qualifications barrier to entry. Perhaps understandably, Apple does not have a career pathway that allows Geniuses to train for Corporate roles in the absence of degrees in computer science, electronic engineering or similar.
    The general consensus seemed to be that while there is no stigma attached to working for Apple Retail, it is held at arm's length from Corporate and aspirational talk from management about moving across as part of one's career path is largely lip-service. Multiple colleagues of mine had secondments to Corporate but were not offered permanent positions. My advice is that if you want a role within Apple as a wider organisation, it is better to gain more relevant experience elsewhere than get your foot in the door with Apple Retail.

2. See 'Advice to Management'.

Apple has an all-smiling culture of frequent high-fives, hugs and friendliness. This was normally lovely but such warm behaviours became painfully contrived whenever management were trying make changes that would have a negative impact on employees (holiday restrictions, irregular shifts etc.). During my time with the company, most managers seemed compelled to dismiss challenges to such issues with a wearily forced smile and a condescending statement about how not being able to take time off is actually a positive opportunity to 'transform the lives' of more customers. Managers were often very nice people but confidence in them to sincerely respond to concerns was low.

Apple Retail management should learn that when it needs to implement a difficult change for its staff, leaders must stop patronising them with some heavily-spun 'greater good' nonsense, and have an adult and honest conversation about why such changes are required. This was by far the most frustrating thing about working for Apple.