Apple

4,268 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,377 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

Great!

Current Employee - Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Apple part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great team around you. Always supported by managers and staff. Great discount and employee stock purchase plan.

Cons

Busy stores. Lots of people asking about iPhone 6!

Increase the hourly pay.

A bright start to a career, you have to be strong to survive but don't expect to get too far without moving on.

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in London, England
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Apple Retail gave me some great life skills that I have adapted to work, now outside of Apple. I wouldn't be the person I am today without these. The culture of inclusion within the stores can be hit and miss but when it is just right you will feel like you are part of a big family. I have made friends for life and will never forget or regret the time I spent there.

Cons

The management team are more often then not put under stresses to hit targets that they can not meet. This has destroyed the once great culture of openness at Apple and has resulted in results driven staff as a posed to long term culture driving ideals.

I was once issued a 9 out of 9 review after having a fantastic year at the company to then 2 weeks later have that removed from me because of pressure from higher levels above stores to give lower reviews/pay rises. This was a kick in the teeth after the work I had put in and the recognition I was proud to have achieved.

Invest in long term wins and don't think for a second that you are pulling the wool over Apple Store employees eyes when you say one thing and mean another. Be legit and forthcoming and never go back on your word.

Awesome

Former Employee - Genius in London, England
    Former Employee - Genius in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best place to work at

Cons

Nothing to say since everything is amazing

enjoyed working for Apple

Current Employee - Specialist in Solihull, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in Solihull, England

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

they are friendly and fun

Cons

a lot of training, challenging with customers

need to build up salary per year

It's not all what you think: a Corporate European head office perspective

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Came across some of the most intelligent people from across the globe
    - People outside of Apple (or even those working in the retail store) think it must be amazing working for Apple (really it is not if you work corporate)
    - Nice offices (the illusion to keep you in the "wow" factor)
    - Business Macbook & iPhone (some departments get iPads too)
    - If you survive in Apple Corporate, you can survive almost anywhere

Cons

- No career growth: you have to fight for yourself, you will be lucky if you have a "nice" manager that "helps"
    - Work comes first attitude: "it doesn't matter what is happening in your life, get it done"
    - Back stabbing, two faced politics, lies
    - Lack of recognition for hard work
    - Surprisingly low pay compared to similar jobs in industry
    - Not valuing their employees: "it is a privilege to work at Apple, we can easily replace you"
    - Useless HR: incompetent and essentially managers spies; serious waste of space
    - Extremely under staffed
    - Unreasonable demands that have you working evenings (till morning) and weekend for things which end up not even being important
    - Serious lack of sense of "team": everybody is out for themselves
    - Pay rises are in % increases unless you get "promoted" (you aren't really given a new job, just a lot more responsibility and a bit more money, but sometimes no change to title or hierarchy placement) the amount can be insignificant. Max % increase was 10%, and that is really rare to get! ADVICE: negotiate a big base before joining so those % are worth more.
    - Company brainwashing practices are common (seminars, lectures, lessons). Its hard to believe how many people buy into it internally
    - Please note that the Europe Head office (in London) appeared to be a special case of intensity. The UK office and other European offices appeared to be not as bad (at least from my perspective). Though when weneeded things done by the local offices, they would feel our pain too. Till this day, the Local teams do not know how lucky they have it vs the Head office. I can only imagine how bad it is in the World HQ in Cupertino

- Look after your employees, they are your greatest asset. A lot of your best people leave or are looking to leave. Or even worse, have be grinded down so much they are no longer giving 100%
    - Hire more people
    - Reward people better
    - Help people to grow and move

Fun

Current Employee - Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people, good wage, and an interesting environment - doesn't feel like a retail job but rather an advisory role. No need to sell the product, it sells itself. You are just guiding customers to the best option for their needs.

Cons

Very rigid on hours. I had to leave when going back to university as they could not cut my hours down to fit in with studies, despite glowing reviews from manager and colleagues, and strong metrics (not that these were overly important to apple)

Put in a lot... don't get a lot back

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Reasonable wages, good employee discounts and benefits.

Cons

very busy, stress full, very little progression unless you want to become a technician, little recognition for work put in.

recognise the talent your team has and build on it. Don't let them grow to resent the company and yourselves by failing to notice them.

Awsome

Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best place to work and learn

Cons

nothing to mention as it is the best place

awsome management

Great place to work

Current Employee - Mac Genius
    Current Employee - Mac Genius

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good career progression, fast paced environment. Good pay and benefits. A good place to develop a career with on going training.

Cons

Sometimes moving to a new role can be a challenge. Can be very political at times. Hard to be noticed

My Career

Current Employee - Specialist in Grays, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in Grays, England

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for the company. You learn something new everyday within the company and each day is a different experience.

Cons

I cant con apple i have been there 6 and half years. Over the time it has made me a better person at work and personal life. Which you take into day to day life