Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)

www.applied.com

Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) Reviews

Updated Jul 03, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) CEO Neil A. Schrimsher

Neil A. Schrimsher

OK

Programmer (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

Prosvery good manager. made a lot of close friends at work. could work a pretty traditional 7am - 4pm day with very little overtime.

ConsI had a very good manager, but many of the other high level folks in IT were very average.

Advice to Senior Managementthey placed very little value on employees trying to better themselves (Graduate school, for example). In fact, one former CIO once said in a mtg...and I am paraphrasing here....'Tell all your employees that just because they get an MBA, does not mean they get a raise'. he was missing the point entirely. those individuals that get those advanced degrees are exactly the people you want to keep. many of them (although, not all) are the leaders of the future. I have seen so many companies take talented people for granted. In fact, when I left Applied Industrial, I got a raise of more than 20%. This was not an anomaly. Many other folks that I know, who also moved on from AIT, had the same experience.

Great Company to work for

Account Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsAs an account manager, you are given the keys to manage your territory as you see fit. As long you are filling out sales reports and keeping your numbers up, no one will hover over your shoulder.

ConsVery hard to build a territory from scratch. When competition is at your prospective customers' doorsteps, you need to add value to your product. It is very difficult to open, secure, and lock an account in if you just have price on your side. Price can always be beat by someone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementI recommend to pay employees industry standard salaries or you will lose essential personnel keeping the company afloat.

It was a great experience and I learned a lot.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey are very professional in their approach to business.

ConsPolitics and bureaucracy. A bit elitist.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little less talk and a lot more action.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical slum employer

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits were decent considering how in the hole health care has gone.

ConsManagement has their noses stuck far up the hind ends of regionals. Company only cares about who is kissing whose rear end. No loyalty. Longevity means squat. Watch your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementThose in corporate should pay attention to what really goes on at branch level. Might get happier employees who care about their jobs.

AIT provides a job, not a career.

Customer Service Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a decent entry level job that exposes you to working first hand with customers and provides you with a concept of business as a whole.

ConsManagement rarely does what they say they will do. The company often pays less than the cost of living. They give you a plan for your future upon employment, but the plan slowly deteriorates as time goes on. There is a huge disconnect between corporate and branch levels as well as poor morale among employees, which leads to customers not being taken care of. After seeing multiple branches across the US, it is a common trend to see both veterans as well as new employees completely dissatisfied with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your employees by letting them know when they are doing a good job and show them that they are valued (every day encouragement, incentives, etc). Management needs to work on standing behind what they say. The customers will be much better taken care of if Applied employees enjoy where they work and know they are working for a company that values their efforts.

Good Company but could be great!

General Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsCompany is in transition with new senior management and has great potentials once those 5 & 10 year plans are put in place. Great people around the country working in the field. Great product lines to compete with competitors.

ConsSenior management needs to improve strategies and make changes so it can maintain current associates, loss of too many strong associates has made it difficult to develop accounts and markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO & CCO should take a look at current senior officers and strategies, need to open their minds to new business opportunities. Look into the reason why so many strong associates are leaving to competitors. Need to come down from the glass tower and speak with field to hear and solve problems. It is very difficult to grow business when you can barely manage current business with so few staff members at the branch level.

Very supportive company

Account Manager (Former Employee) Eastlake, OH (US)

ProsTeamwork is very appealing with Applied, if you are looking for a company that will work with you and support you the field. This is a great choice!

ConsContinuously changing roles within the organization, I changed locations twice and reported to 3 different mangers with a few months.

Advice to Senior ManagementMay want to consider account retention for the sales force, I noticed that the accounts were consistantly being changed.

A job, not a career

Facilitator (Current Employee)

ProsSteady work with solid company. I am allowed to take care of personal issues when needed.

ConsI have virtually no chance of advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more training and value placed on what lower level employees have to say.

Pass on AIT

Account Manager (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsBenefits package i.e. health insurance, retirement was good. Company vehicle for Account Managers, company credit card for AM's

ConsMicromanaging nightmare. Tons of paperwork for sales when selling not office work should be the focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can't trust your sellers to sell then you're GMs and RMs aren't doing their jobs to facilitate the field personnel or they aren't good evaluators of talent. Seems that the culture is that all sales people are lazy and unless micromanaged they aren't capable of tying their own shoes. Please drop the sales funnel if you already haven't. Good salespeople know how to qualify and work through a sale or opportunity.

Struggle to get by

Management Associate (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsVery relaxed work environment, not difficult or stressful work. It varies from branch to branch, but friendly people for the most part.

Finally switched to an ERP that works, but the average age at this company is 60 years old and no one has a clue how to use it.

ConsVery few people are motivated at this company, namely inside sales. Without strong leadership, the lack of motivation from the people on the inside really hurts outside salesmen.

They do not pay cost of living, it is a serious struggle to get by. The incentives/bonuses they tell you to expect each month are never close to what they estimate they will be. The fact is that this company pays terribly and unless you are given accounts to cover your base salary (which is extremely rare) you are going to go into subsidy for the first few years of working here... making it very difficult to get into the black. Outside salesmen who have 20-30+ years experience are still making under 75k. The pay structure is horrendous, they market the job as a salaried position, and you come to find out it's a draw after being there for 4 months.

Terrible culture, awful relationships between employees, embarrassing in front of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a decent work-life balance, but pay employees cost of living at a minimum. I've been working here almost a year and haven't been able to put a dime into savings, and wasn't able to give my family presents for christmas. If it wasn't for some investments I made before working here, I'd be on the streets right now.

Worked for Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)? Contribute to the Community!