Applied Materials

Applied Materials Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Applied Materials CEO & President Gary Dickerson

Gary Dickerson

Pros
  • Decent compensation packages and work life balance(in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent location, free water from the water fountain(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge, depending on the job function(in 36 reviews)

• The only way to get a promotion is to fake working long hours(in 25 reviews)

I am constantly challenged with new problems to solve.

Customer Engineer (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR (US)

ProsPay, benefits, people, challenging work

ConsCan be stressful working with a demanding customer all the time.

Just joined

Process Engineer III (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsBased on the interviews and their expectations, I felt that job is more challenging and not monotonous. I just joined, so can not really tell much.

ConsAfter a month of work, I will review again.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more for employees at Bay area

Headed in the right direction

Senior Director (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThe acquisition of Gary Dickerson came with the acquisition of Varian. Gary brings a very focused and pragmatic style to AMAT which is refreshing after years of Mike Splinter's ego centric and random leadership (we are in the solar business - oops no we're not; let's buy an e- beam company so we can throw money down a rat hole; lets hire this executive so we can fire them 2 years later when they threaten my position) .

Look at the rise in stock price and Gary's leadership vs what the stock did during Splinter's Tenure
    Splinter Came in in 2003 with the Stock trading in the $14-range. On September 17, 2013 it closed at $15.04
    Since Dickerson took over the stock has climbed to above $20. I believe some if that is due to the to the merger with TEL, which will give AMAT more power in the marketplace and a lot of it is due to the market's perception that Dickerson is a stronger leader than Splinter

ConsManagement tends to be 95% type A's who shoot first and ask questions later, so competition is fierce. THe organization into product business units means an unusual matrix type of organization that makes authority unclear and requires careful management of the politics. Disputes often have to be resolved by the president or CEO but not until after reputations are tarnished or ruined by complaining

Advice to Senior ManagementGary has things on the right track and is very practical. Seems to have eliminated most of Splinter's bad hires and promotions. Stock price is up which reflects the impact of Gary's leadership.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's not too bad, especially if you land with the right team.

Process Engineer IV (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsBenefits are good. Colleagues are great. Can't complain about the weather here.

ConsPromotion hard to come by. Product development teams work a lot. More R&D being incorporated but slow integration.

Cheap is the name of the game...

Systems Project Manager (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsNew CEO. New directions...

ConsConstant threat of layoffs (RIF). No real management direction at the middle level, everyone is running scared and pointing fingers. This is not a collaborative environment, it's more of a reactive management style. If you're a contractor here, be ready to work for free. They're always trying to cut your pay and expecting more in return. Stay clear of this place if you're looking for a company that pays and value your contribution. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR ANY CONTRACTING WORK.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a little more to how you're cheating.... I mean treating your contractors. They are humans with families to feed and take care too.

working for a loooong time in this company

Proswork life balance for some positions

Consbangalore office doesn't follow the same CORE values as corporate office in USA. bangalore office is more like a delivery center

Advice to Senior ManagementNo big advise, Practice the corporate Vision, Mission and Values. It will be more than enough. OR Have own Vision, Mission and Values for "Delivery Center".

Ok company

ProsLot of opportunity for development
    There is also a bonus every six months
    Time off policies are good
    And they allow for flexibility

ConsSeems employees are not as valued anymore

Good learning experience but Upper Management not good.

Pros- Get to work on cutting-edge technologies
    - Most of its employees are knowledgeable and experienced
    - Opportunities to travel and interact with global teams.

Cons- Bureaucracy
    - Less opportunities for networking with other employees
    - Many managers have job insecurity and they work on projects to please their management instead of focusing on what is best for the company.
    - Frequent re-orgs and constantly changing goals.

Great Company but Too Big to make a difference in.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat products, New Technology and with Tel merger will be the only real powerhouse left in play.

ConsRun by so many people who 'Know it all' yet really don't have it down as well as they think they do. Higher ups get caught too much in their own "Hype". Pure Chaos most of the time and out of control much of the time. Some crucial processes and fundamentals are non existent leaving one to wonder how AMAT actually got to be a multi billion dollar company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what REALLY matters and the people making things happen. Don't believe and drink too much of the 'Koolaid" that you are making...It's no all of what you saying it really is....

Well respected company with strong engineering talent but a marketing team which tends to lead direction

Process Engineer III (Current Employee) Hopewell Junction, NY (US)

ProsStrong engineering talent, leader in the industry, global reach and decent pay / benefits

ConsIt's a large company which means standardization and "ways of doing business" can occasionally hinder innovation. The focus and direction of the company constantly change, so must be flexible

Worked for Applied Materials? Contribute to the Community!