Argo Group
www.argolimited.com Pembroke, Bermuda 1000 to 5000 Employees

Argo Group Reviews

Updated Apr 07, 2014
Argo Group – New York – “main floor”

Argo Group President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Argonaut Group Mark E. Watson III

Mark E. Watson III

Had such amazing potential

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at Argo Group for more than 10 years

ProsAmazing co-workers and immediate boss who worked tirelessly to build each other up, provide top of the line service and had the courage to do the right thing; good benefit compensation.

ConsPoor top leadership (appointing the incorrect people to key, decision-making positions; misuse of corporate resources, funds and employees; unprofessional behavior of C-level management); company values are only posters on the walls; cronyism is rampant, outsourcing of key customer-facing positions that made this specialty commercial insurance company great was extremely detrimental; all of these things led to a sad corporate culture and was so unnecessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementBoard of Directors and C-level management should be changed where appropriate; exit interviews should be taken seriously; input from non-management employees should be valued instead of snubbed.

Good employer as a smaller company but I enjoyed it less as it grew in size.

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Argo Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCould be fun to work there at times. If you are a slacker, you can probably blend in without getting fired due to the mediocrity that surrounds you. Salaries were ok. Lots of office locations if one wished to move around.

ConsPoor bonuses. The president of the group can be quite arrogant and is not a real people-person. High expense ratios. Under-performers were not exited out of the company at all. Mr. Watson seems to discourage alternative views and seeks out those who will not disagree with him.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the focus on becoming the biggest insurance company and reduce the expense ratio.

Colony Specialty Insurance of Argo Group

Underwriting Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Argo Group full-time for more than a year

ProsProfessional. contemporary office environments; business casual atmosphere; available managers; good quality, friendly employees; team environment.

ConsPrior company mergers, acquisitions, consolidations, evolutions, etc. make the organizational history and structure difficult to follow. It takes time to learn how your division, department, team came to be and how it fits into the overall organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore cross - functional training and other department product knowledge to allow each employee to be a better spokesperson for the entire organization.

Solid small company

I have been working at Argo Group full-time for more than a year

ProsAmaller company which makes it easy to navigate. Competitive benefits.

ConsMany small divisions due to acquisitions which are branded differently.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

It used to be a good place to work.....

Claims Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Argo Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen I worked at Argo it was fun and exciting. While challenging, it felt like a team effort. Nice co-workers and a good boss. Tough but fair and I learned so much.

ConsWow, serious management changes made and the human element was taken out of the mix. Very questionable changes made with respect to management, in particular claims.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-do your entire claim department(s). You can do a lot better with the right people at the top.

Good People, Bad Company

Auditor (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Argo Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay was ok. People were good, made many friends.

ConsThe workload, expectations and especially the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better, like you actually value them.

Just really kind of sad and disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Argo Group full-time

ProsColleagues all agree, we are in this together and everyone works well together. You feel as though they are your only support at times. The Claims Supervisor is one of the best I've ever worked with.

ConsClaims are extremely complex and were mishandled for years. The Claims Manager is clueless, misguided in his knowledge and frankly is just a waste of space. The interview process is extensive and a waste of time. 5-7 interviews does nothing to guarantee success of any candidate once on the job and does nothing to assure you didn't let the good get away during that process.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is imperative in order for Argo Group to succeed that they place truly qualified individuals in management roles and stop the silly interview process. Additionally, do not place Senior Management in roles where they have no experience just because they've been around a long time. Additionally, colleagues need support not an inexperienced claims manager and a senior officer who travels the country acting like a controlling mother hen.

Extremely bad experience.

Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee)

I worked at Argo Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe benefits and my immediate coworkers are the only good things about the company/office.

ConsMicromanagement. I cannot say much more than has already been said on this site relative to the reviews labeled "very dissatisfied". In my 26-year career, this by far, is the worst company for which I have ever worked. There are two others that are a close second and third. Upon my reflection of these three companies, I realized the problem with them and it was all MICROMANAGEMENT.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice that I can give is for management to LISTEN. Many of us have talked until we are blue in the face and it makes no difference as they really do not care. The only thing that management cares about, even local management, is money, whent it lines their pockets.

Clueless CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Argo Group full-time

ProsTalented, hard working staff and middle management

ConsWorked way too many weekends to meet high expectations, but other departments left a 5:00 every day and were never held to account for consistently dropping the ball. CEO is aloof - between the private jets and the housing allowances, he seems to enjoy spending the shareholders' money on his personal luxury.

Work environment has gone downhill in past 2 years.

Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Argo Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe salary and benefit package was equal to other insurance companies but not as good as it was two years ago.

ConsUpper management places no value on their employees. In the past year the claims department has had countless people leave due to the work environment. Upper management has no respect for the employees opinions. Company is outsourcing jobs to India. They are part of the employment crisis in the US.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees who actually know about the claims environment.

Worked for Argo Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Argo Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Argo Group CEO Mark E. Watson III. All 22 reviews are posted anonymously by Argo Group employees.