Argo Group

www.argolimited.com

Argo Group Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
Argo Group – New York – “main floor”

Argo Group President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Argonaut Group Mark E. Watson III

Mark E. Watson III

Great experience, lots of opportunity.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsGreat coworkers
    Beautiful offices
    Good benefits with an incredible employee referral bonus
    Upper management gives a lot of freedom to business units to create their own atmosphere

ConsSlow implementation of new practices
    Too little regulation of employee relations guidelines. Managers are give a lot of freedom, which can be great with great managers and detrimental with not so great managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on employee development.

Terrible Employer

ProsInternational company with businesses in multiple countries; profitable with record revenues in recent years; growth primarily through acquisition

ConsCore Values are not applicable. The C-Suite execs are arrogant, dismissive, and don't care about employees. Leadership has no integrity. They don't pay bonuses even though the company realizes growth and profitability. Employees are regularly asked to perform more with little recognition. The company is stuck in last century, no integration or vision for meaningful growth, thus expense rations are out of control.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold yourself accountable to the same standards as you would your subordinates.

Manager

Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsLocation, facilities, nice people, lots of overtime

ConsToo meant executive privileges, hence the high expense ratio

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent, lead, communicate, and keep your A players

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Had such amazing potential

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing co-workers and immediate boss who worked tirelessly to build each other up, provide top of the line service and had the courage to do the right thing; good benefit compensation.

ConsPoor top leadership (appointing the incorrect people to key, decision-making positions; misuse of corporate resources, funds and employees; unprofessional behavior of C-level management); company values are only posters on the walls; cronyism is rampant, outsourcing of key customer-facing positions that made this specialty commercial insurance company great was extremely detrimental; all of these things led to a sad corporate culture and was so unnecessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementBoard of Directors and C-level management should be changed where appropriate; exit interviews should be taken seriously; input from non-management employees should be valued instead of snubbed.

Toxic Enivornment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThere are some very talented individuals in the organization.

ConsThe list is extensive:
    Lack of vision and direction
    Poor change management
    Expense ratios are out of control
    Executives do not walk the talk, values are just words on a piece of paper, they are not demonstrated
    Total lack of trust in the organization
    Great talent is walking out the door at an alarming rate
    Micromanagement is abundant
    Employees are not treated with respect
    "My way or the highway" environment, diverse ideas are not welcomed or considered

Good employer as a smaller company but I enjoyed it less as it grew in size.

Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsCould be fun to work there at times. If you are a slacker, you can probably blend in without getting fired due to the mediocrity that surrounds you. Salaries were ok. Lots of office locations if one wished to move around.

ConsPoor bonuses. The president of the group can be quite arrogant and is not a real people-person. High expense ratios. Under-performers were not exited out of the company at all. Mr. Watson seems to discourage alternative views and seeks out those who will not disagree with him.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the focus on becoming the biggest insurance company and reduce the expense ratio.

Colony Specialty Insurance of Argo Group

Underwriting Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsProfessional. contemporary office environments; business casual atmosphere; available managers; good quality, friendly employees; team environment.

ConsPrior company mergers, acquisitions, consolidations, evolutions, etc. make the organizational history and structure difficult to follow. It takes time to learn how your division, department, team came to be and how it fits into the overall organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore cross - functional training and other department product knowledge to allow each employee to be a better spokesperson for the entire organization.

Solid small company

ProsAmaller company which makes it easy to navigate. Competitive benefits.

ConsMany small divisions due to acquisitions which are branded differently.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

It used to be a good place to work.....

Claims Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsWhen I worked at Argo it was fun and exciting. While challenging, it felt like a team effort. Nice co-workers and a good boss. Tough but fair and I learned so much.

ConsWow, serious management changes made and the human element was taken out of the mix. Very questionable changes made with respect to management, in particular claims.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-do your entire claim department(s). You can do a lot better with the right people at the top.

Good People, Bad Company

Auditor (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsPay was ok. People were good, made many friends.

ConsThe workload, expectations and especially the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better, like you actually value them.

Worked for Argo Group? Contribute to the Community!