AroundCampus

Updated 28 October 2014
3.5

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 24 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Best experience you can get while in college

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The training you are put through. They fly you out to UNC Chapel Hill for a week long sales training conference. You meet people from all over the country and network a ton. Their connections to outside companies as well is perfect for after graduation

Cons

The content you sell is rarely used, so as far as morality goes, it is hard to tell someone to spend $1000 with you.

Great Internship Opportunity

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, great learning opportunity, and a great atmosphere makes this a top place for someone who is interested in getting into sales and needs some experience.

Cons

Some of the tasks can be a little mundane sometimes. However, you are essentially helping out the bigger executives to make money so whatever you do is really important to the company.

If you work hard, it really pays off

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-You learn a lot about sales and if you want to do it.
    -You get to work with peers who do the same job all over the country.
    -Management is always willing to help.
    -The envirnment is fun, you go to a week long training in North Carolina and it's all paid for...great food.
    -If you do good, and show that you tried, you will 100% get recruited from large companies all over the U.S. after you graduate.
    -If you work hard and can keep going after hearing no 100 times you will be succesfull. The only reason interns didn't do good was because they would give up and only make about 5-10 sales calls in the end because the job is draining.
    -Management is young and fun. All of the regional supervisors (they overlook all the interns) have done the internship before so they can all relate to some point.
    -After my internship I got recruited by 3 major companies and they all offer a very high salary and promising movement within the company.

Cons

-You work a lot, and dont get payed that much. $200/week.
    -You drive around a lot and don't get compensated for mileage.
    -Most business owners do not see the value in the product. (in my market) I made around 30+ cold calls a day and I would say that 90% of them resulted in rejection.
    -They set weekly/summer goals that seem impossible at some schools.
    -I kepy in contact with a lot of interns and they didn't like the intership, some really did though. The ones who worked hard made a lot of money because once you hit a certain dollar amount you do receive commission.
    -You get a list of renewal sales, businesses that payed for advertising the year before, and they are hit or miss. I didn't renew one coupon the whole summer becuase the business owners never saw one come through the door.

-You might need to tweek your product in some markets. Most of this businesses had already done the advertising and said it didn't work.
    -I asked probably 20 of my friends if they ever used or heard of the directory/planner and no one knew what I was talking about.

This is a great company!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dayton, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dayton, OH (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The sales training that you receive for internship is life changing. This experience will help you learn how to deal with adversity and challenge you to function efficiently, in many different business settings.

Cons

The time commitment is quite demanding. This internship will definitely take up most of your summer. Also, the pay is low!

Challenging Internship

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great Experience, Very hard summer internship. You have to be motivated to be in this internship or you get nothing from it. The people you meet are amazing!

Cons

Internship- the pay isn't good unless you are selling a lot more than expected of you.
    In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known.

There needs to be more AroundCampus Reps in the schools during the year to fire up the App to make selling over the summer more successful

"Only take this internship if you don't have any other paid internship options"

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Training
    - You get trained at UNC-Chapel Hill for a whole week. They teach some valuable info. about sales. There are hundreds of interns from all across the country that attend. I made a lot of friends from other schools in my region, who I still talk to six months later. The training probably made it worth it to do the internship. The first and last nights of training are basically a big party.

People
    - There were three other interns at my school. We all got along extremely well. By the ended of the summer, we were more of friends than co-workers. We continuously made fun of the underachieving product together.

- If you are going to start your career in sales, you will get some good experience from this. It will give you stories to tell in future interviews.

Cons

Pay
    -The pay is very low. $200 per 40 hours a week, you do the math. You can make 15% commission on top of that, but only a selection few will ever hit the type of numbers to start making commission. You also have to pay for your own gas. You can't afford this internship unless your parents give you good financial support. I'm very fortunate to have been lucky enough that. Overall, the pay is better than Campus Special though.

Product (Where do I start?)
    Usage:
    - Students don't use, or know about the mobile app. Also, they don't use the coupons in the planner. I talked to plenty of past customers. EVERY person who had a coupon/ coupons in the planner in the past had single digit redemption. ACG teaches you to counter these rejections by telling them to make a coupon with a better deal. How do I tell them this when their coupon was giving away free stuff? Overall, this is just in my college town (20,000 students. Other markets that depend on college students for business could be different).
    Distribution: At least at my school, the student organization that distributes the product doesn't even pass out all of the planners. I still see them laid out in the College of Business, untouched months later.
    Mobile App:
    - I showed all these local business owners this newly updated mobile app coming out this school year. Today, it's almost November and it's still not out.
    Perception: Any established business owner already knows the company and hates the product. Almost every sale my co-workers and I had was to a new business, who hadn't heard of the product before. They also give you accounts from the year before that inside sales couldn't resign. Yeah, those don't really go too well.
    Prices:
    The prices of an ad are outrageous. In my market, a quarter page ad in the consumer guide was $1,000. What kind of college student uses a consumer guide? You're obviously just going to google it.

Management
    - Management will lie to customers to make a sale. Also, the office in NC is extremely unorganized. They don't really know what they're doing. I'm not going to get specific with that.

- You really need to make an effort to gain exposure to the product. At least in my market, no one knows about it or uses it.
    -I felt like I ripped off any business owner I sold to. 99% of them will not benefit from buying the product.
    - Hurry up and update the mobile app. It's sad that it was a main selling point over the summer and it's not even updated yet.
    - If you paid interns more, they might be more motivated. When interns find all of the new customers for the company, you should compensate them for that.
    - The ACG needs to make some serious changes if they want to be successful. Campus Special already had a higher market share in my territory at least. Now that Chegg bought them and will re-brand them as "Chegg Campus Deals", the ACG will probably lose more of their market share.
    - Most of these crazy good reviews on Glassdoor are definitely written by the company
    - Johnny O is the man though.

Awesome experience

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

I speak on my experience throughout all of my interviews following the internship.

Cons

It is very challenging and if you aren't a hard worker and extremely driven then I would suggest not applying.

Awesome job on creating a fun driven atmosphere.

Great outside sales experience

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great outside sales experience. Interns gain great knowledge about outside sales, building rapport, making presentations, and importance of following up.

Cons

One of the cons would be definitely pay. If one works in the city costs of commuting are high. Therefore, you spend more than earn. Then, very intensive and long days could be challenging.

Good Experience

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Wonderful experience in b2b sales, awesome home office environment, great management

Cons

Cold calling on businesses can be difficult, and the pay is low for living week-to-week

I'd do the internship again.

Former Employee - Project Design Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Project Design Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you're like me and were tragically born missing a trust fund, it's nice to work over the summer to get some money and job experience. As far as opportunities go, I think this is probably one of the more legit ones.

* They won't have you selling knives that can cut pennies in half (you don't need one anyway, you don't have a trust fund, remember?) and you even get your own cubical if you're a Project Design Specialist.
    * You get an hour paid lunch. You might end up working through it most days during the July rush, but that's more of a personal choice then a hard requirement.
    * The company makes a real effort to have a fun culture. I think they genuinely enjoy having students from as many college as possible. There are college emblems everywhere.
    * The supervisors all seemed like very kind person. You don't have to fear having an impersonal slave driving boss(wo)man.

Cons

* As deadline season (July) approaches, things many get a little intense. I can not emphasises enough that no one is ever required to stay past standard working hours (8:30-5:30, with flexible 1 hour paid lunch break) though you will probably have teammates who are staying late, and this may make you feel a little obligated to chip in extra too. In a good way though I suppose.
    * Pay is a little low.
    * Computers are riddled with issues, especially for design based jobs.
    * This is a (generally attractive) female dominated internship. Sounds pretty cool for the guys, at least at first, but if you're more of an introvert like me, and can be hard to make and keep work friends with so few guys in your bro-mediate area. It's still possible if you can friends in other departments however.

Get some new computers. I specially advised that mine should be thrown into a volcano when my internship ended.
    When you talk about opportunities to be brought on full time, make sure you mention the actual job probably won't start until the start of the following summer. This makes the internship only valuable as a "foot in the door" to those who still have a year left of school if they want a job to graduate to.