AroundCampus

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

AroundCampus President John O'Brien

John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship(in 12 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, you're expected to put in long hours(in 20 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell(in 10 reviews)

Most challenging yet rewarding--great management.

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Santa Cruz, CA (US)

ProsAwesome management and team/friends, get to meet business owners and make friends, get to be very independent. Learning a lot from rejections/meeting people.

ConsInternship--so not a lot of pay. Sometimes negativity from people can discourage you since there are a lot of rejections. If you work really hard you'll get more out of it.

Excellent learning experience

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee) Fresno, CA (US)

ProsOutstanding management and they are constantly striving to uplift the interns in times of low productivity. In the few months of this internship you will learn more than an entire year in the classroom.

ConsGas is going to kill you! Although it is a paid internship, it doesn't do much to offset all the miles you will put on your car.

It's alright

Sales Team Leader (Current Employee)

Pros-professional experience
    -training program
    -leadership skills
    -networking
    -references
    -looks good on resume
    -sales experience
    -career opportunities

Cons-this is the hardest product to sell, no one wants it. I feel like I am cheating people out of their money
    -long hours
    -must do work on your own time in the evening ( a lot of work ) to be successful
    -you basically will not make any money, in fact I have actually lost money on this internship
    -cold calls
    -training is unorganized
    -renewals hate our product and they have been sure to let everyone know
    -you are responsible for your own taxes
    -your weekly pay is taken out of any commission that you earn leaving you with basically nothing

Advice to Senior Management-pay for gas, or at least pay minimum wage, or maybe even a new set of tires
    -be more organized
    -start the internship before campus special beats us to every business in town
    -the planner is dying out, come up with another option

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on how hard you apply yourself.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsYou really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship. Nobody is going to be with you babysitting you throughout the job. It all depends on what kind of work you put in. If you work really hard, you will get the return. Once you are comfortable in the field, the internship can get fun especially since you are literally just talking to new businesses and new people everyday.

Training was a pretty big part of why I decided to take this internship. Flying a week out to UNC Chapel Hill was awesome. Everybody that attended training all had the same mindset: have fun. Training was mainly memorizing scripts and presentations in the day time and free time at night.

15% commission; work hard, get paid. You get a $200 in advance every week. Make sure you understand they pay before accepting this internship.

Everybody in the company is willing to help and very nice.

ConsAfter just a week of practicing a script at training, you are pretty much just expected to go out and sell.

Your typical day will just be going business to business talking to the decision makers of businesses.

Training was unorganized and just messy. They've been around for 40 years or so now, management should probably figure out how to get everybody to/from training properly.

THE TRAINING DAYS ARE LONG. You have to meet up every day at 8am, presentations until 1 hour lunch at 12pm, then training sessions until around 5pm, dinner break for about 2 hours, meet back up with region and more training until whenever the session would be done ( around 10pm). We are talking about 8am to 10pm with 3 hours of break for around 6 days and no pay.

There is an issue with semester schools and quarter schools or there's a problem with bigger schools and smaller schools. If a smaller school doesn't have that many sales reps, or they need more time to break out of that sales shell, it'll be pretty hard to recover sales since there are competitors in the college advertising market. Usually the managers typically will help out the bigger schools first so smaller colleges will neglected until the problems arise.

Not worth it

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsI will try and say something nice here...

-Gain Experience: as much as it absolutely sucks you do gain experience. It helped me land a job for after the program was over. The guy who interviewed me at my new job could not believe I actually did what I did (because it is so terrible). Also, once you are done with this, most jobs will be a breath of fresh air to you.
    -Sales foundation (kind of): since this is the bottom of the bottom for sales jobs (all cold calling with an outdated product), you are learning very quickly how frustrating sales is. You constantly told no. However, if you want to go into sales you do learn basic sales skills such as how to build professional rapport, territory and time management, prospecting, how to find the right decision marker, and how to close down accounts.
    -Set you own schedule (can also be a CON depending on the type of worker you are): extreme self motivation is very important. And I mean extreme. You only see your team (co-workers) twice a day at morning and afternoon meetings for 30 mins. The rest of the day you are ALONE and do not have a set structured schedule provided by the managers telling you where to go, what to say, etc. That is up to you. If you like tasks and structure, do not take this job. It is one of the many reasons I did not like it. It never really felt like a job to me.

ConsLet me try and keep this short

-Cold Calling: you come in with zero leads. NOT A SINGLE ONE. You try and divide your town up into territories amongst your team members the best that you can and hope for the best. You walk into 30+ businesses a day looking for someone who can make a decision on advertising with the platform to present it to them. It is very hard a lot of times to find or get in contact with the decision maker. You are literally a door-to-door solicitor. In fact, many places have no soliciting signs. I was told by management SEVERAL TIMES to go into these places anyways. Really? That is just disrespectful, bad business, and speaks volumes about this company in my opinion. Cold calling like this gets exhausting, especially if you have to walk around a lot in 90+ degree weather in hot clothes.
    -Compensation: YOU are the one who makes all the money for this company. YOU are the one who works 40+ hours a week to bust your tail for them. How do they thank you? With a nice $200/week check. Do the math, its around $4 an hour. They like to say "Well, we are one of the few paid internships!" Yes, well most companies do not fully rely on their interns for all of their profit. Most internships are very project based and solely for the purpose of gaining experience. The company is not dependent on the intern.That is why most of them are not paid. However, this is a different situation. In this case the company is VERY dependent on the interns. WE are the ones making you all of your money. PAY US MORE. It is absurd and people should be pissed.
    -"Scamy" vibe/ cheesy motivational tactics: Constant pumping of motivational videos and quotes and dumb cheesy sayings. Do not buy into it. They know you are a work slave for them and try and mask it with this. It just reinforces the "scam" vibe that the company has to me.
    -Training: Aka summer camp for freshman orientation. This is what that week felt like. I was older than half of the managers there and was talked to like a 16 year old at camp. It was very unorganized, and just flat out annoying. Someone on here described it as a "pep rally to get hooked into their scheming ways" and that is very accurate. It almost felt like a week long brainwashing session. It was very spooky almost to see a lot of people get so into it. They make you memorize a script (which you quickly ditch out in the field because a rehearsed scripted sales person is very weird and not efficient) and I would literally walk around the dorm at 2am and see people in the hallways, stairwells, etc reciting it to themselves over and over. It was like a weird brainwashed mental institution. Thankfully, I never brought into any of it. It also felt like a weird evangelical "come to jesus" conference. So many testimonials about how wonderful AroundCampus is. Enough of the comparisons, you get the point here (hopefully).
    -The product: Ad space in a college day planner/directory. They also have a website and app that nobody has ever heard of (at least in my market). The majority of business owners in your territory are smart enough to see that this is not a great way to advertise and will honestly tell you so. It is hard to battle their objections when you AGREE with them deep down. The company likes to act like every business needs this platform. Many businesses are straying away from print advertisement as they feel it is outdated. Students do not use the planners/directories much anymore at all. Lots of business owners will ask their student workers and customers if they have ever used one or seen one. Guess what the answer is 99% of the time? "Nope". Multiple times semi-interested businesses owners ended up telling me no after doing this. Smart on their part honestly.
    -Market Dependent: This is a BIG one. Almost all of the top performing markets were all smaller college towns where the local businesses DEPEND on the college around them for business. In larger city markets, this is not the case at all. In some towns, the businesses do not care about the college, especially in large tourist cities. Management was not very understanding of this and would just say that "every market has objections". While this is true, some markets have it way worse than others. This platform does not work everywhere. Accept it.

Honestly, while it is a decent way to learn the foundation of sales and gain some experience, it just is not worth it. The cons much outweigh the pros. So many people quit during the summer, management is annoying at times, and the company simply just does not have good ethics. I witnessed management be flat out RUDE to owners at times when trying to fight their objections. That is the AroundCampus way! "Everyone needs this product and you are dumb if you do not buy it!" All it did was push them away further. Good luck using that sales tactic in the real world.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease eliminate under performing markets. There are markets that consistently under perform. After years of this, have you maybe ever even thought that this could be the market? That this product does not succeed everywhere? Take a look at your top performing markets and compare them to the ones that do poorly. PULL OUT of the under performing ones. Do not continue to stay in them and keep blaming the poor performance on the interns. That is not good business at all. Instead, enter markets that are similar to top performing ones. JUST AN IDEA.

You get what you put in

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee)

ProsMeet some of the most amazing people, extensive training in sales, if you are self-motivated you are able to succeed.

ConsHard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was amazing! No complaints.

You get out of it, what your willing to put into the program.

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThe experience as well as confidence you get from making so many calls each day.

ConsNot many people have heard of this company, so credibility. Also it is very time consuming.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize the training better so that the interns are really prepared to sale.

Good experience

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsWorking as an intern is amazing experience if you want to delve into the wold of sales, if not than do not take the job.

ConsCompensation for sales and weekly pay is very low in my own opinion.

Advice to Senior Managementcreate better communications with your employees

Best experience

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsLearned abouts sales more than any other company/class could teach. Found a job right out of college because of this opportunity. Employers practically beg for an interview with the alumni.

ConsHard work. Not for someone lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing an amazing job. Loved the excitement that happened when i made a sale.

Around campus Internship

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsLearn to have confidence in going into different stores

ConsEverything. Managers can be rude, and pressure interns. Instead of trying to create a learning enviornment where interns are learning, managers pressure them to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so mean to interns. They are trying hard. Just because you made a ton of sales when you were an intern, does not mean that you can bully others. Stop making interns feel bad if they don't make a sale.

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!