AroundCampus

Updated 17 October 2014
3.4

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 13 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 24 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Summer Sales Internship

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Free trip to North Carolina , that experience alone is worth the whole summer. I meet the most amazing people for all over the US, worked all day and partied all night, this is a fast pace "work hard,play hard" internship. It's like a mixture of spring break and finals week. Meet some amazing connection here. It's paid!

Cons

After "challenge accepted", you have the responsibility of going business to business ( 40 businesses a day with your own vehicle&gas) and sell advertising . You need to learn to be a people person if you're not already. This is a pro and con but more a con, the company started from an intern and every employee in the company started where you did, the down side is that no one is an expert, when you call the home office sometimes they know about as much as you do.

paper may not be dead, but the app is really where it's at. keep improving.

Bad Product, High Price

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Teaches you how to approach others and be persistent.

Gives a good training environment in Chapel Hill, and connects you with other interns from across the nation.

Cons

Horrible product being sold. Must rely on puffery to sell product.

Management is at times unprofessional and in my experience, will lie to business owners to get a sale.

I felt bad after every sale knowing that the product would not help the customer.

Unfortunate

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great resume builder, most companies require internships or some work-related experience. Training is the best part, it's where you get like 3 hours of sleep a night but it's fun because all of the interns are there.

Cons

Long hours and the pay is basically $4 an hour. The $200 weekly they pay you will be spent on gas. They say you make commission after $2400 but you actually have to sale over $16,000 to get 15% of sales after that (which most people don't do) they also didn't pay us the full $2400. Managers are nice at first then get really pushy and mean.

Stop letting inside sales sale so much, you're taking away from the hard-working interns who are out in the heat working hard and burning gas.

Great opportunity

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Training is top notch but very tough. Will learn lots of skills that will help you further your career. If you are very successful the job can be very lucrative. You will get out what you put in.

Cons

Very tough when you actually begin selling in your market. Some customers will pretty much downgrade you to the point of depression. Many objections are hard to overcome.

Keep it up. Its not easy to train 600+ college students every summer and still be successful.

Best learning experience of my life

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Edmond, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Edmond, OK (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A summer interning with the around campus group will be the hardest summer of your life. You will work harder than you can imagine, but you will learn more than what expected to. I came into this internship really having no idea what I signed up for and ended up loving it. I learned valuable skills that I will use forever, and truly feel sales is a great career path for me.

Cons

This internship will be hard at times. Over most of the summer I didn't make many sales. Yet, I came back and killed it in the end. The pay is low, but it's an internship it's better than nothing. You learn to handle being told NO a lot.

Don't put your sales managers over to many states where they can't visit you as much. Also put states in Regions that are actually close to each other, and maybe time zone.

How to get a competitive edge over your peers

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Eau Claire, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Eau Claire, WI (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The AroundCampus Group offers many pros with their 12 week outside sales internship. Here is a breakdown from someone who just completed the internship.

Training: You cannot be expected to do something well without first being given proper training. The AroundCampus Group flies 750 interns down to UNC Chapel Hill at the beginning of summer. You spend 6 days learning the steps of the sale from high energy staff and regional managers. They give you all of the necessary resources to ensure you learn the product, how to build rapport, present the material, refute objections and close down the sale. You get great meals each day, housing, and the opportunity to bond with your sales team, region, and the entire nation of sales interns! It's a great way to start the summer.

Support: Throughout the entire summer I had the support of upper management, and sales interns alike. Each day starts off with a 15-30 minute webinar with the President, John O'Brien! He gives us some encouraging words, analyzes current trends in the industry and finally, recognizes top reps for their hard work and success each day, 5 days a week, for the entire length of your internship. They encourage you to talk to them directly and they are very easy to get a hold of throughout the entire experience. How many interns can say they talk to their senior management on a daily basis?

Apart from senior management, My Regional Manager, as well as my Area Sales Manager were in contact with us on a daily basis as well. During the first few weeks they went on sales calls with us to help critique or strengths and to help us improve our weaknesses. This was crucial because we were able to take what we learned in training and apply it with the help of a professional who had completed the internship in the past. Our managers would rotate between each market and help us about once every week or two.

Finally, the interns were all very supportive in my region. We used GroupMe to stay in contact with one and another. It was super helpful because we could continuously bounce ideas off of one another. You truly are supported by everyone in the company at all levels throughout your experience.

Real World Experience: You are selling multi-media advertising. This is a real product that you are selling to real businesses. You learn a wide variety of skills including cold calling, building rapport, presentation skills, combating objections, communication, time management, marketing and advertising, servicing accounts and much more. This is everything that employers are looking for in marketing and sales, as well as many other career paths.

Paid Internship: You are paid to do this. Most companies will give you an internship and tell you that the experience that you get is worth more than any amount that they would pay you, and they don't pay you. AroundCampus Group not only gives you a wealth of experience, but also helps you pay rent during the summer. You are given an advanced draw against commission payment of $200/week. This is still a really good rate for a summer internship. You are also able to make 15% commission on collected sales after making up your draw payments. Management also has many sales promotions and contests for the interns. You can win gift cards, TVs, Tablets and other cool electronics for your success. They also have some sales contests that can allow you to receive extra bonuses. My team won an extra $1000 over the course of summer for working effectively. If you are highly motivated and determined, you can expect to make a solid amount of money during the summer.

Employment Opportunities: The AroundCampus Group has over 20 business partners with companies like ADP, Tom James Company, AT&T, Enterprise, Tek Systems, Edward Jones Etc. These companies want to and end up hiring many interns each summer upon completion of the internship. The AroundCampus Group gives you the experience you need and the necessary connections to land a solid sales and marketing job by the end of the summer!

Cons

This job is not for everyone. They tell you that the whole way through and try to be as clear as possible on that during the interviewing process. Keep in mind that any of these cons can be overcome with a positive attitude and strong work ethic. Negativity is your biggest enemy. Avoid it.

Self Starter: You have to be able to work independently throughout the course of the summer. Management will be there to help you but you don't have someone babying you through the entire process. You need to accept responsibility and be able to motivate yourself. Some people cannot handle that.

Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week. Often times I spent 50-60, especially during the first few weeks. Some people do not see the value in this. Sales requires more work than a lot of other career paths. It can seem like too much at times but in the end it is worth it.

Rejection: Sales requires people who are mentally and emotionally strong. You WILL receive rejections and objections. This does not mean that you won't succeed. Sales requires a thick skinned person who is not easily offended and discouraged when they hear no multiple times per day. There were many days that I did not get any sales at all. You just have to stay positive and work through the bad times to get to the good times.

These are all typical cons of a sales job. The company offers many promotions and prizes, as well as a hotline and continuous support to help you overcome all of these.

Keep doing what you are doing. I have never had a more positive experience with management. You have an excellent program and I know I will be reaping the benefits from this experience in the near future.

My only advice is to keep NetSuite Consistent. Most categories were unorganized and had different totals. This is being nit picky.

Excellent!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This is commission-based, but it is an amazing test of your skill and will help to guide your career path. They also have a career fair during an amazing training session in North Carolina and gives a good opportunity to network.

Cons

This involves long hours and low pay; and sometimes your experience varies depending on your teammates.

Good experience

I worked at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

Awesome training week, good experience with sales, customer service, etc.

Cons

Door to door sales, rejection, driving around in own vehicle, this job is good if you plan on staying in sales.

Low pay but a great resume builder

Former Employee - Intern in Eugene, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Eugene, OR (US)

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume
    Learn a lot about sales
    Work with fun people your age
    Payed training in UNC is fun

Cons

Low Pay
    Not a lot of help from management
    Success could be determined by your territory your group chooses

Difficult, but learned a lot and got a lot of experience.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You are able to work closely with a sales team and bounce ideas off of each other. Furthermore it teaches you to become comfortable in an uncomfortable situation and become more extraverted.

Cons

The job itself is tiring and draining. You are doing door to door sales so you hear a lot of "no's." It seems the company is confused about their own culture. Many managers switch between the role of manager and that of a friend.

Invest less in the interns and the selling and more in the product. The product was very difficult to sell because it was not moving with the times and innovative.