Arrow Electronics

Arrow Electronics Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014

Arrow Electronics President, CEO, and Director Mike Long

Mike Long

Pros:
  • "Good compensation, independent work environment, challenging and satisfying work"
    in 15 reviews
  • "People can work with peace of mind with good Work life balance"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management places no more value on their employees than they would a copy machine"
    in 10 reviews
  • "There is virtually no career advancement opportunities"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Positive

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time

ProsLearning from professionals, complex business processes

ConsTraining is done on the go: learning by doing and it can be hard sometimes due to the complexity of the processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonal growth and trainings need to be taken into consideration.

A business that is certainly people oriented.

Integration and VAS Manager (Current Employee)
Birmingham, England

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProfessional and courteous nature means it's a positive place to work.

ConsCompany doesn't reward reward loyalty very well despite high performance..

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the people at ground level who can deliver the success.

Lack of opportunity unless face fits

Nottingham, England

I have been working at Arrow Electronics

ProsSome staff are pretty friendly. The company hasn't been doing bad financially, and is always optimistic, however even Arrow have not been immune to job cuts.

ConsSuch a lack of opportunity for progression, unless your face fits. Salaries are generally poor compared to similar roles in other companies. Job security is poor, many redundancies have been made over the last year, only to be replaced by cheaper staff. The company take the attitude that you are lucky to have a job, therefore they don't need to do anything to keep you happy. Management have little respect for employees. Cost cutting is also rife across the board, at all levels except director-level.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to relate with your employees. Without the staff, Arrow is nothing, however management do not seem to realise this and as a result many people are unhappy. Good management does not consist of pushing down one order after another, and treating staff like school children does not make for a happy workforce.

ARROW Field Sales Review

Field Sales Representative II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood compensation and benefits, fair budgets, good training and management

Cons"Performance based compensation" will limit the amount of money you will make

Would not recommend a career here

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCo-workers are good people, and flexibility - can work from home 2 days a week - plus others work remote. Benefits are okay -- they do have some of the extras -- but your main insurance is good if you go to your primary doctor - otherwise, it's like not having insurance when you go to a specialist. Would prefer a co-pay so I can go to all doctors I need to see.

ConsCheap company. They start you off at low salary base/commission and do not give raises (except to very few). Three years without a raise even though I've done everything the company has asked -- plus I know 3 other talented, experienced employees who had to leave for this reason - the only way to increase their income was to leave. Departments are getting more separated and management is not promoting customer service internally. Training is done by new employees in my area and they do not have a central training person or dept. Company keeps acquisitioning and boasts fortune 150 company - yet doesn't pay the employees who are helping make them a success. Coming from more real corporate environments - this company does not work the same way- managers are overloaded with no assistants, little support, little training - etc. They also do not post openings when they become available (internally). Overall disappointed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job - give raises, promote within, work with new managers, change insurance so we can go see specialist w/ co-pays, get rid of the new commission structure - the 3rd month pay back if you miss quota (even though you may have hit 100% in the 2 months prior -- this is the most moral killer, along with no raises (not even cost of living)....love the work from home - I personally end up working more (start earlier and work late at night).... It has not hurt my productivity, and has helped me be more available when needed by my accounts.

Reliable paycheck vs. your stamina for no leadership.

Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsReliable paycheck until commitments start faltering and the layoffs begin.
The intent of keeping as much out of the landfills as possible is a noble tenet.

ConsLiving wage not found here. Hiring from within without decent pay increases. People in positions of authority that have no business being there. Mandatory extra hours, everyday? Mandatory weekends, every weekend? Are we slaves? Arrow is the most hostile work environment, I have experienced, from the management, to the upset employees, to the stupendous lack of teamwork, to the HR that disregards every real problem, to the upper location management that are more disconnected from the environment than their upper management. It's nifty that MBAs know the breaking point of the number of individuals it takes to complete a certain task before redundancy. But, with Arrow, it's the same problem seen with most degree professionals of Biz Admin (MBA) I have known - No Leadership! Join the military and stay in until at least E-6 or O-4 and you will know what leadership is all about (set the example for yourself, first and everyday -woops, gave away the secret). Or, better yet, hire those ex-military upper leaders to lead your people to profits. $7.5 million take home for Mike Long in 2012 with only a Bachelor's degree from U. of Wisconsin? No pay increases seen for the employees. New reverse logistics software has a negative effect on clients - get it fixed asap.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best leader is the best follower. Don't know what I mean? You cannot manage people: stop trying. You have to >LEAD< people. Learn some leadership and start applying it. Or, hire the proven or even potentially good managers / leaders and you will see everything change for the positive; stop promoting people with huge attitudes to positions of authority and that have no training. Review your current managers, from the top down and you will understand (know thyself).

Good opportunity, but you will have to work for it.

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood opportunity for career advancement.

ConsWorkforce has been cut to the bone. Doing more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementEventually, the bare bones workforce will produce diminishing returns.

Great company .. lots of opportunities

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are great to work with and for

ConsFast moving, a bit stressful

heading in the right direction

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a big ship to steer and many of the typical obstacles a large company faces are present at Arrow, but upper management seems to be moving in the right direction. Good stable company if that is what you are looking for.

Consyou are better off coming in with expertise than expecting Arrow to provide guidance and training, I hear that they may be addressing some of that.

provided good platform to learn and develop my carrer

Technical Analyst (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time for more than a year

Prosfriendly environment to work with cross functional teams

Consworking under pressure and deadlines

Advice to Senior Managementshould conider developer views

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Arrow Electronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arrow Electronics reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Arrow Electronics CEO Mike Long. All 212 reviews are posted anonymously by Arrow Electronics employees.