www.arrow.com

Updated 13 December 2014
2.9

Arrow Electronics President, CEO, and Director Mike Long
Mike Long

Pros
  • Flexibility, and can work from home 2 days (after a year) (in 10 reviews)

• Some management willing to work with the employees to find a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the team, hours can get crazy, work-life balance isnt exactly ideal (in 10 reviews)

• Terrible middle management and upper management is disconnected from employees (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time

Pros

Learning from professionals, complex business processes

Cons

Training is done on the go: learning by doing and it can be hard sometimes due to the complexity of the processes.

Personal growth and trainings need to be taken into consideration.

A business that is certainly people oriented.

Current Employee - Integration and VAS Manager in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Integration and VAS Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional and courteous nature means it's a positive place to work.

Cons

Company doesn't reward reward loyalty very well despite high performance..

Listen more to the people at ground level who can deliver the success.

Lack of opportunity unless face fits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Arrow Electronics

Pros

Some staff are pretty friendly. The company hasn't been doing bad financially, and is always optimistic, however even Arrow have not been immune to job cuts.

Cons

Such a lack of opportunity for progression, unless your face fits. Salaries are generally poor compared to similar roles in other companies. Job security is poor, many redundancies have been made over the last year, only to be replaced by cheaper staff. The company take the attitude that you are lucky to have a job, therefore they don't need to do anything to keep you happy. Management have little respect for employees. Cost cutting is also rife across the board, at all levels except director-level.

Try to relate with your employees. Without the staff, Arrow is nothing, however management do not seem to realise this and as a result many people are unhappy. Good management does not consist of pushing down one order after another, and treating staff like school children does not make for a happy workforce.

My time with Arrow

Former Employee - Tool Crib Operations/Machine Operator Support and Records Management in Reno, NV (US)

I worked at Arrow Electronics

Pros

I was very lucky to have great coworkers within my primary job duties and an excellent supervisor. I also enjoyed the input and support of most of my production floor leads.

Cons

The company is inflexible and pays a low standardized wage to all non-degreed employees. Its benefits are prohibitively expensive and they show no regard for exceptional employees nor make any attempt to retain them where they do not meet a minimum criteria for term of current employment. Management does acknowledge performance and achievement verbally, but is out of touch with the employee needs at the ground level and often makes promises it does not keep or fails to document what it has offered to an employee in the course of his/her employment thus causing a lot of its own problems in supporting and communicating the companies needs to them.

I related my opinions to the company and have a very specific non disclosure in effect and so will not relate anything which appears critical of them or their practices, nor offer any further advice. They were not receptive to it and in fact the effort impacted me quite negatively due to new management in my department. They were unable to see the dynamics in play between me and the department and had a limited view and interest in the quality demonstrated by me in the performance of my duties. The scope of concerns they were brought in to address did not include my position or needs as an employee. They saw it best to label me a problem since they could not verify what their previous team had offered and felt that since it violated the HR guidelines for employee advancement there was no obligation to address it. They offered me no further recourse to resolve their own mistake.

Had a great Manager and learned a great deal about HR and Talent Management

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to lead a diverse set of projects with access to senior leaders. Very innovative team.

Cons

Extremely poor HR Leadership.

Stay away if working in HR.

Hard working but low benefit

I worked at Arrow Electronics

Pros

no over time work, good to build up carrier

Cons

not investing people, hard working

please invest people working for Arrow

Arrow Electronics

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large company, good ERP system, good location, decent benefits

Cons

Under staffed, under paid, long hours

Offer permanent positions instead of contract to hire. Increase head count to manage volume more efficiently and offer training to increase employee skillset

Product Manager

Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Arrow is an enormous company with amazing opportunities at their Corporate office in Denver (Englewood). As a Product Manager, you get to experience a little bit of everything (sales, operations, customer service, inventory). The position is a very good launching point for something else internally if you choose to do so. You technically only need to be at your position a year before you apply for anything else, but I suggest you give it more time - 2 or 3 years - and become an expert in the industry/technology before moving up.

Cons

Very fast paced and demanding (although I'm the type that appreciates that aspect). Sometimes it can become monotonous, but honestly, name a job that isn't from time to time. The "training" is more of a baptism by fire, but your teammates understand this and are SO very helpful - and willing to help :-)

Experience is definitely something to consider, but personalities and skill sets are too. Sometimes I think management rushes the hiring process to fill a gap, when it would be better to wait for a better team fit.

Join for Salary only

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company pays slightly above market average salary especially in IT department and for IT roles.

Cons

Company survives on thin margins. Couple of bad quarters for the company and you start worrying about your job. Company has 'Pay money and get the service' style and doesn't seem to believe in Asset creation be it Infrastructure and buildings or knowledge, internal capabilities and employees. Centralization is taking its toll on various business processes. Reporting structure is often irrelevant and team structure is often complex. Management style is top-down and there are no forums or meetings to listen to junior employees and ground workers. Workarounds thrive over solutions and quantity thrives over quality.

Put managers in place of managers and not just deliverers who delivers the figures in the report the way senior would like to see. Encourage questions, discussions, problem solving and bottom up style of management. Build internal capabilities and focus on long term asset and value creation. Reduce the number of functional silos and align teams to business processes.

Stay away

Current Employee - Technician in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Technician in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consistently pays their bills. Reliable paycheck so far. Free plastic dining utensils (flatware) and coffee. Decent on-site security for theft prevention. Stand-up video games and web-surfing machines in the break room. We celebrate big achievements with on-site barbecues. Management choices seem to indicate they want to be better.

Cons

Most management (lower, middle, upper) are completely out of touch. A broken organizational chart and a bad living wage begin this review by a leadership professional. A stagnant culture and disrespectful-to-rude interpersonal relations between most management and other employees makes this a scary workplace: culture shock! A lack of leadership among managers has created a lot of disgruntled and unmotivated employees. This is number one of the two most hostile work environments I have experienced in my thirty years in the work force (twelve in the military); when an employee has to run off-site (during a shift) to get away from an unprofessional manager, then leadership is at an extreme low. Little investment in basic support: in three years at this Reno site, the corporation refuses to purchase basic tools, like brooms, to complete the work - employees do not dare ask for more advanced tools (screwdrivers.) Most employees repeat they are simply holding on until the close announcement. Atmosphere looks and feels like a prison or cattle yard with a metal turnstile employee entrance. Worst training ever experienced - I cannot answer myself when I ask how the training could be worse. Although, in fairness, I believe I have a very high standard for training (US Army); most companies fall short on my bar, but this is the nightmare, here. Senior leaders support and even encourage the bad behavior and choices despite suggestions: they know there are problems and want to be better, but do not know how.

Invest in tools if you expect them to be used (even basic tools like brooms.) Bridge the gap between business management and managing employees; more specifically, get either some managers that have verifiable training and experience in Leadership Management or invest in Leadership Management training for the current managers. Most MBAs have a lengthy bad history from the perspective of Leadership Management: MBAs tend to focus on numbers and managing products / machines, but the MBA manager, and everyone below her/him, will consistently run into problems when trying to 'manage' people with the MBA-learned controls (impossible.) Leadership Management training comes from either extremely experienced managers or specific leader courses from the military. Think about it this way: any of our military branches could be considered a company where the company's product is people and the military company knows best how to 'manage' (lead) the product. I would also suggest: support our nation's military by hiring a trained and proven leader!