Art Institute of Chicago

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James Cuno

Great experience working with a small group of students.

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Troy, MI (US)

ProsProfessional growth and friendly environment.

ConsThe institution is still growing, so there are some transitional challenges sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a mentoring network.

Great team to work with

ProsGreat experience to start a career in museum setting.

ConsThe schedule for installation is so tight, as the museum never close to the public.

Overall a nice, comfortable and at times fun place to work. Great staff.

IT Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsPrestigious, world-famous. Staff are all very professional, and the curators are world class. Get to see exhibits 'behind the scenes' and is an amazing experience if an art lover. Really cool history to be part of, one can't help but gather a sense of purpose. Awesome benefits, especially long vacation time off.

ConsIt is a non-profit, unless you are in upper-management, you aren't going to make great money. It's okay pay, but not great, and there generally isn't a lot of upper mobility. People generally stay where they are hired at, so not a great place for ambitious climbers, generally, unless someone retires, moves on or dies.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes forget to remember the little folk. Pay could be a bit better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love of Art Culture

Rover (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGood 35 hour a week work week.

ConsNo benefits for roving employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd benefits for rovers over time.

Great changes happening

Curatorial Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat resume builder, positive office culture

ConsDepartments were very siloed when I started, but they were actively make changes to create collaboration

World-class museum; low pay

Assistant to Curator (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsAmazing exhibitions, collection, and staff.

ConsCan be disorganized and inefficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive lower-level staff opportunities to grow and advance.

Solid place for an internship

Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsFun, interesting colleagues who are invested in their work; exciting and very busy atmosphere; amazing galleries to stroll around during breaks

ConsHuge institution, can be easy to fall through the cracks a bit if you don't have people watching out for you or you're not assertive enough

Great professional experience, including research and art handling. But I wish the internships were paid.

Curatorial Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThe Art Institute is a world-class museum that is a great setting for getting exposure to the inner workings of curatorial departments. If you become a full time regular employee, you also get a great set of benefits that even includes free tuition to SAIC classes.

ConsIf you are an intern, even if you have worked (unpaid) at the museum for months on end, it is still incredibly difficult to get a job there because it is so competitive. Having worked there for 9 months in two different departments, I have interviewed for a few full-time regular jobs and been given feedback ranging from "we wish you had an MA" to "we're not hiring you because you might leave and go to graduate school soon." At least, that is what has been implied. It's frustrating!

Worked for Art Institute of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!