Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com
  www.ajg.com

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
Updated 17 September 2014
2.9

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance (in 6 reviews)

• Some people can work from home, but you have to be a management favorite (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Outdated computer systems; constantly freezing or shutting down (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, just probably in the wrong department

Current Employee - Account Handler  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Account Handler in London, England

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office, supportive of personal development, some lovely people work there, and they were the first major insurance firm to employ me / give me a chance.

Cons

The pay is sub standard for the industry - low basic salary, no bonus (which is unusual for insurance), limited benefits for most employees, and we even had to pay for our own Christmas party, etc.

The culture looks great on paper but feels a bit false and it sometimes feels as though we're forgotten about by the American senior management team / the very top.

Unfortunately feels as if we have no power whatsoever even at a departmental level, let alone on any kind of grander scale. Consequently there is a disconnect that exists even between the top of the department and the rest of us.

Ensure that employee's pay matches the salaries paid out by the big 3 brokerage firms, otherwise you will just end up losing your talent to them. It matters even at the lower rungs too because, in my department, when people have left it has become much harder to retain clients and that ultimately effects the top line .i.e. Value staff more and realise to be the best you have to pay salaries to match that level of performance.

Give the option for private medical cover to be available to everyone as a benefit if they want it regardless of how long they've been in the company / regardless of the "level system"

Don't force information onto us unless it is relevant to us, otherwise it creates a feeling that we've been forgotten.

Growing too fast not enough resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent work experience, reasonable salaries and benefits

Cons

The company is growing fast in the EMEA region not enough resources are allocated to accommodate the extra work. The senior executive seems to be more responsive than proactive, no planning ahead. Poor care to staff, prepare to work long hours with not recognition. Bonuses are paid based on friendship rather than performance. Talent staff leave the organisation due to lack of structure and poor systems.

Facilitate an organisational environment where employees feel valued, engage in dialogue with employees, use a mix of non-financial incentives to enhance employee motivation and organisational effectiveness. Organise a group Christmas party where employees can have the opportunity to know each other.
    The company is in massive need of new technology, invest and build the nest for the future acquisitions.

Under resourced

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in London, England

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mostly good people and good working environement. Nice ofices in London.

Cons

Worked in the claims department of London office dealing with liability claims. Adjusters caseloads are far too high, sometimes double that of Insurance companies claims departments. Expect 400 to 500 claims against around 200-250 in some good Insurers. GB business model is to maximise number of claims as they are a TPA. Problem is that this model means limited time per claim which means their adjusters dont often save claimant costs as they should. If adjusters workloads were lower then, with greater time and resource, it is a no brainer that savings would naturally be made. Most people want to develop their career but if they are unable to through the workload then there is no reason to stay. I used to spend most of my time on the phone and never was able to easilly work off all post. High staff turnover because of caseloads and they dont seem to attract expereinced people. When I left I communicated with some of them but I would never got expedient replies. I wonder why?

I dont think I can give any advice as I think the business model is wrong. How they are going to cope with the EL/PL portal extension in August is beyond me,

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work, but has room to improve.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

- Fantastic people for the most part.
    - Managers are (in the main) clued up and understand the business.
    - Great place to work for internal promotion on the claims side of the business, it's more difficult in the supporting functions, but that's only because of the size of the business.
    - Relaxed atmosphere, short notice holidays, time off etc is not a problem.
    - Great social scene if you like that sort of thing.

Cons

- Sales team make it up as they go along, they promise a level of service that just can't be delivered with the existing workloads everyone has.
    - Clients are sometimes taken on at too low a price, yet still promised great service.
    - Salary / benefits are nothing special. If you don't force them into it, you won't get any extra money / decent raises.
    - No bonus scheme outside of the sales team, yet it's adjusters, account managers, office managers etc going the extra mile that is often the reason for keeping clients on board.
    - IT systems / department are a complete shambles.
    - Rely too heavily on young (read cheaper) people. Sometimes more senior positions need to be filled from someone outside the company with more experience.

- Reduce adjusters workloads to the levels written in the marketing material handed out to potential clients, so that clients can be serviced properly.
    - Sort out the IT.

Great place to work - fantastic people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

Very good atmosphere, all the people from senior management to admin staff are polite, helpful and friendly. The benefits are pretty good and the amount of training given and support is also very good.

Cons

The IT systems are very out of date and regularly stop you from working and ultimately (I think) hinder the growth of the business. Thats the only real problem.

Improve the IT systems.

Great insight into the company

Former Employee - Brokerage Services Intern  in  Itasca, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Brokerage Services Intern in Itasca, IL (US)

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

a lot of industry growth

Cons

Difficult to break into sometimes.

Poor use of resources due to constant acquisitions

Current Employee - Producer  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Producer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great earnings potential. Autonomous branch operations. Flexibility. Exposure to a great deal of high level risk management strategies.

Cons

Fragmented culture. Constant acquisitions by Corporate. Lack of resources provided to branch. No clear direction by management. Bottom line driven. Constant training of tech resources that do little to improve product or customer relationships.

Adhere to the philosophy of putting your people first, not your profits. Develop an "acquisition game plan" in regards to expectations, training, and how to access AJG's global resources. Develop a centralized marketing hub or regional marketing position to assist in account placement.

AJG can be a good company.

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

The reasons to work there: a large company with tons of helpful resources, each branch office maintains it's own cultural identity.

Cons

Cons: San Francisco location is not in the financial district, its hard to get too. Little or no reward for hard work and dedication. Management suffers from lack of management training.

Even though AJG is a sales organization, it behooves management to recognize the hard work and dedication of the non sales team.

Typical of a large company

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

Salary and benefits were okay

Cons

Too much micro managing which us demeaning.

Ok, but not great

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Little education in insurance field

Worked for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.? Contribute to the Community!