Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance(in 6 reviews)

• Some people can work from home, but you have to be a management favorite(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Outdated computer systems; constantly freezing or shutting down(in 7 reviews)

Good company, just probably in the wrong department

Account Handler (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat office, supportive of personal development, some lovely people work there, and they were the first major insurance firm to employ me / give me a chance.

ConsThe pay is sub standard for the industry - low basic salary, no bonus (which is unusual for insurance), limited benefits for most employees, and we even had to pay for our own Christmas party, etc.

The culture looks great on paper but feels a bit false and it sometimes feels as though we're forgotten about by the American senior management team / the very top.

Unfortunately feels as if we have no power whatsoever even at a departmental level, let alone on any kind of grander scale. Consequently there is a disconnect that exists even between the top of the department and the rest of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that employee's pay matches the salaries paid out by the big 3 brokerage firms, otherwise you will just end up losing your talent to them. It matters even at the lower rungs too because, in my department, when people have left it has become much harder to retain clients and that ultimately effects the top line .i.e. Value staff more and realise to be the best you have to pay salaries to match that level of performance.

Give the option for private medical cover to be available to everyone as a benefit if they want it regardless of how long they've been in the company / regardless of the "level system"

Don't force information onto us unless it is relevant to us, otherwise it creates a feeling that we've been forgotten.

Growing too fast not enough resources

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsDecent work experience, reasonable salaries and benefits

ConsThe company is growing fast in the EMEA region not enough resources are allocated to accommodate the extra work. The senior executive seems to be more responsive than proactive, no planning ahead. Poor care to staff, prepare to work long hours with not recognition. Bonuses are paid based on friendship rather than performance. Talent staff leave the organisation due to lack of structure and poor systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementFacilitate an organisational environment where employees feel valued, engage in dialogue with employees, use a mix of non-financial incentives to enhance employee motivation and organisational effectiveness. Organise a group Christmas party where employees can have the opportunity to know each other.
    The company is in massive need of new technology, invest and build the nest for the future acquisitions.

Under resourced

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) London, England

ProsMostly good people and good working environement. Nice ofices in London.

ConsWorked in the claims department of London office dealing with liability claims. Adjusters caseloads are far too high, sometimes double that of Insurance companies claims departments. Expect 400 to 500 claims against around 200-250 in some good Insurers. GB business model is to maximise number of claims as they are a TPA. Problem is that this model means limited time per claim which means their adjusters dont often save claimant costs as they should. If adjusters workloads were lower then, with greater time and resource, it is a no brainer that savings would naturally be made. Most people want to develop their career but if they are unable to through the workload then there is no reason to stay. I used to spend most of my time on the phone and never was able to easilly work off all post. High staff turnover because of caseloads and they dont seem to attract expereinced people. When I left I communicated with some of them but I would never got expedient replies. I wonder why?

Advice to Senior ManagementI dont think I can give any advice as I think the business model is wrong. How they are going to cope with the EL/PL portal extension in August is beyond me,

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work, but has room to improve.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

Pros- Fantastic people for the most part.
    - Managers are (in the main) clued up and understand the business.
    - Great place to work for internal promotion on the claims side of the business, it's more difficult in the supporting functions, but that's only because of the size of the business.
    - Relaxed atmosphere, short notice holidays, time off etc is not a problem.
    - Great social scene if you like that sort of thing.

Cons- Sales team make it up as they go along, they promise a level of service that just can't be delivered with the existing workloads everyone has.
    - Clients are sometimes taken on at too low a price, yet still promised great service.
    - Salary / benefits are nothing special. If you don't force them into it, you won't get any extra money / decent raises.
    - No bonus scheme outside of the sales team, yet it's adjusters, account managers, office managers etc going the extra mile that is often the reason for keeping clients on board.
    - IT systems / department are a complete shambles.
    - Rely too heavily on young (read cheaper) people. Sometimes more senior positions need to be filled from someone outside the company with more experience.

Advice to Senior Management- Reduce adjusters workloads to the levels written in the marketing material handed out to potential clients, so that clients can be serviced properly.
    - Sort out the IT.

Great place to work - fantastic people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsVery good atmosphere, all the people from senior management to admin staff are polite, helpful and friendly. The benefits are pretty good and the amount of training given and support is also very good.

ConsThe IT systems are very out of date and regularly stop you from working and ultimately (I think) hinder the growth of the business. Thats the only real problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the IT systems.

A lot of opportunity for young professionals

Commercial Underwriter (Current Employee)

ProsI have worked at the company for more than 5 years now and there is a lot of opportunity for advancement and career growth. Young talent are fastracked through the EDGE program with your peers. Benefits are decent compared to other competitors. My direct management is encouraging and gets the whole work-life balance deal. If you work hard and do what's right, you'll be given opportunities to move up within the company.

ConsOnly 10 vacation days and 3 floating days to start. Needs to be 15 +3 but that's something you could negotiate if you really wanted.

Office culture is a little stale at times and it's a full time desk job for me. Pay was a little on the low side with competitors.

One big turn off is the company pumps itself up all the time and it's a bunch of hullabaloo if you ask me. Yes, it's a growing and diverse company but they make a big deal about yearly growth and it's really externally through acquisitions and not organic.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a fun place to work. Offices that don't see. Liens every day should be casual. Celebrate birthdays and events as a group. Provide small rewards for extra work...create a fun incentive program for your people ($50 gift card for top producers each month, etc.)

Internship Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs an intern, you are able to experience the daily routines of the Producers and learn the basics of the commercial insurance industry. The employees at the office you intern take care of you as much as possible and the pay is very competitive in terms of Internships. Meet other interns from around the country.

ConsMost of the Producers do not have enough time to spend with the Interns on a daily basis, so you are stuck with "busy work". People outside your immediate office are not the greatest. It is a difficult business to be successful in.

Neutral neither bad nor good

Process Associate (Current Employee) Pune (India)

ProsA lot of opportunity to complete Insurance Certification and enhance insurance knowledge.

ConsOffice politics, poor salary hike.

Great company undermined by inept local branch management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat brand, market leverage, name recognition and resources

ConsOld boys club. If you are a middle aged white man you will never, ever be fired. Doesn't matter how poorly he's performed. Insufficient accountability of poor performers. Generally their work load is reduced but pay remains the same. Revenue generated by top performers underwrites low performers existence.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour workforce should be as diverse as your client base. A predominantly middle aged white male leadership team sends the wrong message. Visit the local offices, listen to the top performers and affect change

Great Internship

Intern (Former Employee) Itasca, IL (US)

ProsEverything was fantastic and great

ConsNothing was bad about this company

Worked for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.? Contribute to the Community!