Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com
  www.ajg.com

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated 22 November 2014
Updated 22 November 2014
2.9

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Some areas offer remote work from home opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• No personal growth, very low pay increases unless your one of the chosen few (the pets they are called there) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, just probably in the wrong department

Current Employee - Account Handler in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Handler in London, England

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great office, supportive of personal development, some lovely people work there, and they were the first major insurance firm to employ me / give me a chance.

Cons

The pay is sub standard for the industry - low basic salary, no bonus (which is unusual for insurance), limited benefits for most employees, and we even had to pay for our own Christmas party, etc.

The culture looks great on paper but feels a bit false and it sometimes feels as though we're forgotten about by the American senior management team / the very top.

Unfortunately feels as if we have no power whatsoever even at a departmental level, let alone on any kind of grander scale. Consequently there is a disconnect that exists even between the top of the department and the rest of us.

Ensure that employee's pay matches the salaries paid out by the big 3 brokerage firms, otherwise you will just end up losing your talent to them. It matters even at the lower rungs too because, in my department, when people have left it has become much harder to retain clients and that ultimately effects the top line .i.e. Value staff more and realise to be the best you have to pay salaries to match that level of performance.

Give the option for private medical cover to be available to everyone as a benefit if they want it regardless of how long they've been in the company / regardless of the "level system"

Don't force information onto us unless it is relevant to us, otherwise it creates a feeling that we've been forgotten.

Growing too fast not enough resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent work experience, reasonable salaries and benefits

Cons

The company is growing fast in the EMEA region not enough resources are allocated to accommodate the extra work. The senior executive seems to be more responsive than proactive, no planning ahead. Poor care to staff, prepare to work long hours with not recognition. Bonuses are paid based on friendship rather than performance. Talent staff leave the organisation due to lack of structure and poor systems.

Facilitate an organisational environment where employees feel valued, engage in dialogue with employees, use a mix of non-financial incentives to enhance employee motivation and organisational effectiveness. Organise a group Christmas party where employees can have the opportunity to know each other.
    The company is in massive need of new technology, invest and build the nest for the future acquisitions.

Under resourced

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in London, England
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in London, England

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mostly good people and good working environement. Nice ofices in London.

Cons

Worked in the claims department of London office dealing with liability claims. Adjusters caseloads are far too high, sometimes double that of Insurance companies claims departments. Expect 400 to 500 claims against around 200-250 in some good Insurers. GB business model is to maximise number of claims as they are a TPA. Problem is that this model means limited time per claim which means their adjusters dont often save claimant costs as they should. If adjusters workloads were lower then, with greater time and resource, it is a no brainer that savings would naturally be made. Most people want to develop their career but if they are unable to through the workload then there is no reason to stay. I used to spend most of my time on the phone and never was able to easilly work off all post. High staff turnover because of caseloads and they dont seem to attract expereinced people. When I left I communicated with some of them but I would never got expedient replies. I wonder why?

I dont think I can give any advice as I think the business model is wrong. How they are going to cope with the EL/PL portal extension in August is beyond me,

Good place to work, but has room to improve.

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

- Fantastic people for the most part.
    - Managers are (in the main) clued up and understand the business.
    - Great place to work for internal promotion on the claims side of the business, it's more difficult in the supporting functions, but that's only because of the size of the business.
    - Relaxed atmosphere, short notice holidays, time off etc is not a problem.
    - Great social scene if you like that sort of thing.

Cons

- Sales team make it up as they go along, they promise a level of service that just can't be delivered with the existing workloads everyone has.
    - Clients are sometimes taken on at too low a price, yet still promised great service.
    - Salary / benefits are nothing special. If you don't force them into it, you won't get any extra money / decent raises.
    - No bonus scheme outside of the sales team, yet it's adjusters, account managers, office managers etc going the extra mile that is often the reason for keeping clients on board.
    - IT systems / department are a complete shambles.
    - Rely too heavily on young (read cheaper) people. Sometimes more senior positions need to be filled from someone outside the company with more experience.

- Reduce adjusters workloads to the levels written in the marketing material handed out to potential clients, so that clients can be serviced properly.
    - Sort out the IT.

Great place to work - fantastic people.

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

Very good atmosphere, all the people from senior management to admin staff are polite, helpful and friendly. The benefits are pretty good and the amount of training given and support is also very good.

Cons

The IT systems are very out of date and regularly stop you from working and ultimately (I think) hinder the growth of the business. Thats the only real problem.

Improve the IT systems.

Glass ceiling - Can be a great place to work but treatment can be inconsistent.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many great individuals as colleagues, interesting work, decent benefits, stock purchase opportunity, growth focus, diversified business

Cons

Old boys' network; very tight and almost always late on salary increases, if any; no synergy between regions; nepotism that is unwarranted - incompetence tolerated from "family" members - but not others, producer comp not competitive

Recognize and keep valuable employees, address inconsistencies, create synergies, address compensation timely and pay competitively.

Nepotism encourages

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

Ethics important, friendly, decentralized, open about goals

Cons

Women stuck in nowhere jobs. No career paths for many positions

Wake up to the torrent of women leaving

Too many systems, no local management, performance based pay is a lie

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

People
    Professional Standards
    Clients
    Benefits

Cons

The job role you start in you will be stuck in.

Link performance with pay

They are all about the shareholders and Nepotistic Select

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

civic. - minded, ethical. Decent work - life balance

Cons

No training, little job security, no career path, no pension, poor 401K (annual contribution 12/31, sucks!), subpar income opportunity, poor management, everthing is about the shareholder and the nepotistic select . They'll present an attractive carrot to attract you and then change the game !'

Benefits and compensation not competitive with competition. Poor support demonstrated my retention. Poor sales management. Excessive and unfair nepotism. obvious extreamist focus of the shareholder over the treatment of the employee effectives moral. Corporate greed is obvious

Summer Internship Review

Current Employee - Summer Intern
    Current Employee - Summer Intern

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

They are very dedicated to their internship program and invest a lot in interns with hopes that they will start a career at Gallagher. First and second year interns have a chance to travel to the home office in Itasca, just outside of Chicago. I actually had the chance to meet executive officers and even the CEO of an international company. There was a lot of hands on learning and group oriented work during the internship

Cons

The second summer that I interned there, there was some repetitive work

Maybe create a more specified track for interns that come back for a second summer to eliminate the repetition

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Photos