Arup

Arup Reviews

Updated Jul 05, 2014

Not yet rated.

Greg Hodkinson

Pros
  • Generally management is concerned about work life balance and do a good job in communicating that to the employees(in 12 reviews)

• Get the opportunity to work on some very interesting projects(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is fake sense of work life balance(in 4 reviews)

• The firm seems to have issues getting rid of poor performers(in 4 reviews)

Amazing for grads (or Directors)

Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) London, England

ProsThe graduate training scheme is as good as it gets in the industry. The project and international travel opportunities are abundant and renumeration was above average with regular incremental increases.

ConsEnormous amount of very mediocre middle grade staff (senior / associate) in the most crucial 'shop front' positions, however support appears to be lacking. All the good (and sensible) grads get chartered quickly, then leave. The directors watch their pensions and profit share grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to retain graduates and make directors more accountable.

Review

Structural Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company to work and great reputation

ConsToo much mobility of staff

Positive experience, but glad I moved on.

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

Prosgood brand within the engineering space, good development opportunities for those willing to stick with the slow pace of progression

ConsTope management take too long to make decisions and essentially look after themselves during a downturn. need pay more junior employees better to keep the top talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your graduates

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Will give you back as much as you put in

Structural Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsHigh profile projects, a diverse range of work and people, relaxed atmosphere. Everyone up to high-level directors stay involved in the design process, and there are no 'stupid question's in Arup. You work in small teams on your specific projects, and so can take real ownership of your work... but you can ask the whole firm a question if you get stuck - and someone will always know the right answer. We have a strong set of values we continue to stick by, and are employee-earned so can control our own work.

ConsNot the best salaries in the industry, but makes up for it by providing an enjoyable days work most days. You can easily get sucked into the culture of working late, but people do it out of choice because they want to make their work better - no-one has this forced upon them.

Great place to intern

Intern (Former Employee) London, England

ProsExcellent work. I was able to get involved in hands on projects at a very exciting stage in their building development. There was also a very good office culture where everyone worked very closely together.

ConsAs an intern, there was a period where my direct boss was sick and during that time, I didn't have anything to do as the internship was lead purely through her.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on a more comprehensive internship program for younger students.

good place to work

Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

Prosgood environment to work on and learn

Consshould increase the benefit to staffs

Advice to Senior Managementno

Building services intern - mechanical

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat people, culture and high profile projects

ConsWould of like a more diverse range of work, especially as an intern

Good company, good workplace, shame about some of the management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company with a good work culture, trying to make a difference in the 'built environment' as they put it. Ethos was good as was the quality of work and quality of *some* of the people.

ConsSometimes very slow getting things done, slow to change and progress. Pay and benefits were OK but you always knew that the guy next to you was on more money but did the same job. I felt there was an element of 'old boys club' where some staff who were habitually lazy were never pulled up for poor performance as they were coated in Teflon.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your technical staff when it comes technical decisions. Don't listen to HR when it comes to what the market is paying for staff, as despite being told they are overpaid, it will cost you more to replace them.

Overall good working experience with overseas exposure. Staffs are knowledgeable in general and willing to share.

Civil Engineer (Current Employee) Birmingham, England

ProsGood work/ life balance. Plenty of overseas working opportunities if you are deem to be suitable. Company has its own culture.

ConsCareer advancement could be an issue but subjective to individual. Salary is competitive but not the highest among many other consultancies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with all the good works.

Ridiculous board management

Senior Designer Working for the Head Office (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat place to make friends and work on different types of projects

ConsThe Group board are idiots, they have no clue to how to run a company properly and how to treat and reward staff below them.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward staff that work really hard and care about the company.

Stop promoting women for the sake of trying to get more female engineers in higher positions for the sake of it. The best person for the job gets the job. Stop box ticking.

Worked for Arup? Contribute to the Community!