Arup

Arup Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Arup Chairman Philip Dilley

Philip Dilley

Pros:
  • "Generally management is concerned about work life balance and do a good job in communicating that to the employees"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Get the opportunity to work on some very interesting projects"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "The firm seems to have issues getting rid of poor performers"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Long hours, and not so great if you end up with one of the few terrible managers"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Building services intern - mechanical

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Arup as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat people, culture and high profile projects

ConsWould of like a more diverse range of work, especially as an intern

Ridiculous board management

Senior Designer Working for the Head Office (Former Employee)

I worked at Arup full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to make friends and work on different types of projects

ConsThe Group board are idiots, they have no clue to how to run a company properly and how to treat and reward staff below them.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward staff that work really hard and care about the company.

Stop promoting women for the sake of trying to get more female engineers in higher positions for the sake of it. The best person for the job gets the job. Stop box ticking.

Good company, good workplace, shame about some of the management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Arup full-time for more than a year

ProsGood company with a good work culture, trying to make a difference in the 'built environment' as they put it. Ethos was good as was the quality of work and quality of *some* of the people.

ConsSometimes very slow getting things done, slow to change and progress. Pay and benefits were OK but you always knew that the guy next to you was on more money but did the same job. I felt there was an element of 'old boys club' where some staff who were habitually lazy were never pulled up for poor performance as they were coated in Teflon.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your technical staff when it comes technical decisions. Don't listen to HR when it comes to what the market is paying for staff, as despite being told they are overpaid, it will cost you more to replace them.

Overall good working experience with overseas exposure. Staffs are knowledgeable in general and willing to share.

Civil Engineer (Current Employee)
Birmingham, England

I have been working at Arup full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood work/ life balance. Plenty of overseas working opportunities if you are deem to be suitable. Company has its own culture.

ConsCareer advancement could be an issue but subjective to individual. Salary is competitive but not the highest among many other consultancies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with all the good works.

Rewarding, dynamic work.

Graduate Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Arup full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployees are given excellent support and training
Ability to work worldwide
Interesting projects
Friendly, knowledgeable colleagues

ConsProgression is slower than within other organisations and industries
There is a lot of pressure on staff to work efficiently

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Fantastic culture and great values.

Engineer (Former Employee)
Solihull, England

I worked at Arup full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe culture is fantastic and people are very easy to get on with. As opposed to some of its peers, Arup lives its values and encourages every employee to put them into practice in their day-to-day work. Communication from top management is clear and flows very well down through the corporate structure. Compensation is in line with the sector and there is also a profit share scheme which allows for profit distribution amongst the employee base.

ConsCareer progression is slow when compared to other professions such as banking or management consulting.
Absence of a shareholding base (company is owned by its own employees) prevents the company from making quick decisions and change strategy rapidly in order to adapt to modifications in the operating environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to promote people based on merit and not on career length. Only by creating a meritocratic culture can you ensure that people give their best every day.

good experience

Civil Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Arup full-time for more than 5 years

Prosreally looking after its staff, good life balance

Conspromotions are limited, a bit top heavy at the moment. Perhaps too comfortable to stay in if you are looking for retirement!

Big name ,over rated

Project Controls (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Arup as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIf your a engineer, good name to have for experience. If your a engineer your kinda looked atfer,if not then not worth it

ConsNo to not enough team building . Bad place to work if your from a non engineering background ie admin... staff are over worked .. resources are stretched . Communication is rather bad (they love emails,maybe to much) .. Each division is disconnected from one another . Head Office tends to ignore staff working on client sites. As for the working culture its not great then again depends which area u work in ...

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay , recognize the small people aka admin and junior staff

No business strategy within IT

IT Team Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Arup full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork-life balance, choice and range of benefits, great and supportive colleagues, training opportunities, comfortable office, good working facilities, options to work in other offices on a short to long term assignment and permanent transfer, flexible working...

ConsNo clear strategy of what IT should be doing and why - there's too much focus on jumping to new technologies without aligning existing services or focussing on what 90% of staff need to get their work done. Senior management are obsessed with cutting numbers and reducing costs while people are visibly suffering from overload and sick with stress. Salaries are ridiculously below market rate and excellent staff are being lost. Too many middle management roles in place for people who have been in the firm for too long, who deliver no value but continue to be a drain on staff budgets. There is an unfair bias (regarding numbers, opportunities, ability to develop, freedoms) towards developers, who are given the time to seek opportunities within the firm and create new applications, while the support teams constantly struggle to get the time to get to grips with what's already in place. Too many people sitting on facebook all day doing nothing but 'delegating' their work to others.

User Specification, Technical Design, Quality Assurance, User Acceptance, Testing and Documentation are terms which are completely unknown within IT, which is shocking for such a large and established company...

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to staff! Every year a satisfaction survey is distributed to all employees and completed, which clearly indicates that people are unhappy with the above and have no trust or faith with Group Leadership. Set measures in place for improvement and stick to them. Get rid of jobsworths, middle management and staff who have been in the firm for 10+ years who contribute nothing and manage to avoid doing any work. Listen to team leaders when they have issues to raise, stop dismissing people who highlight failures within the group and take their suggestions for improvement on board. Have open and honest conversations with staff, ask them what they would like to improve and be serious about sticking to this without brushing issues under the carpet in the hope that people will just shut up once you've listened to them.

Arup is a good company with amazing ideals that generally guide the actions of the firm

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Arup full-time

ProsThe principles that guide the firm are unique and allow a number of the world's best design professionals to come together and deliver the most amazing projects year on year.

ConsTenancy is generally rewarded better than it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementThose Arupians that leave should be welcomed back at a point later in their careers. Not only have they been indoctrinated with the ethos of the firm but they also have experienced the industry form different perspectives.

Worked for Arup? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arup reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Arup CEO Philip Dilley. All 140 reviews are posted anonymously by Arup employees.