www.arup.com

Updated 25 February 2015
Updated 25 February 2015
3.8

Greg Hodkinson

Pros
  • Generally management is concerned about work life balance and do a good job in communicating that to the employees (in 13 reviews)

• Great people, culture and high profile projects (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is fake sense of work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Hard to believe the behavior of upper management is tolerated (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work-life balance, not the best salaries

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

I have been working at Arup full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Arup is owned by the people, and that is very much reflected in the culture. My work-life balance is respected, and there is a relatively flexible approach towards flexible working hours, providing you pull your weight. I can imagine it may differ per function, but certainly in my department, it feels good. Unfortunately, I am on a maternity cover and there is still no definite answer as to whether my role will become permanent or not, although hints of it. I think Arup is very open minded when it comes to women in business, and promotes employing women. Arup seems to be the kind of company that doesn't want to complicate matters, and is therefore open to job shares, and working part-time for mothers. 25 days holiday is generous, and that is complimented by the 10 days you can take unpaid. That and the flexible benefit allowance that you can spend on extra holiday days, or the green car scheme for example. The pension scheme at Arup is incredibly competitive.

Cons

The salaries at Arup are notoriously low, I have heard from engineers and consultants that they are being hassled to do the same job elsewhere with 10-15k over what they currently earn. I have however heard, that the culture at these kind of places is much more high pressured, so I guess it depends what floats your boat. I took a pay cut to come here, and unsure how quickly they might consider raising my salary. Cons also include the range of benefits, as great as they are, are not available to FTC staff, which is a real shame, and feels a bit unfair.

Keep doing what you are doing, it seems to be working. Offer flexible benefits for FTC staff, they work hard too, so shouldn't just be pushed to the side.

Really interesting couple of weeks

Former Intern - Summer Vacation Civil Engineer in Birmingham, England
    Former Intern - Summer Vacation Civil Engineer in Birmingham, England

I worked at Arup as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The projects were interesting, worked on 4 different projects in total in a short space of time, Used a new software from the ones i was used to at uni, Learnt a lot about Infrastructure and road design in general.
    Colleagues are friendly and very welcoming, Help is always at hand especially when it comes to working on the road projects.

Cons

Due to my short period of stay at the firm i wasn't able to fully integrate myself in a ny project, the tasks were also not very awe inspiring but that was mostly due to the fact that i was not going to be at the firm for a long period of time.

Rotation even between interns might be good for ensuring people are engaged and always interested.
    Pay for interns could be higher.

Super

I have been working at Arup

Pros

Arup is a Great place to work

Cons

Low salaries and slow progression

Great Atmosphere but not the most fulfilling, in my opinion.

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineer in London, England
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineer in London, England

I worked at Arup as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Really great and supportive atmosphere in the London HQ (I was a building services intern there).
    Huge knowledge-base supported by the Arup staff around the world.
    Opportunities to spend 2 year periods at an international office, or to completely switch.
    Up to date hardware and software is a given.
    Very established company.

Cons

They fired a lot of their top ranking staff during the recession, and so have lost a lot of the edge they had over competitors.
    I found it not to be a meritocracy, and that progression (in salary) is purely a time-based occurrence. It seems that it should be possible to get more responsibility handed to you if you show you want/can handle it.

The founder of Arup wrote a key speech (easily available on the Arup website) which stated his vision of the firm - striving to push boundaries of both design and sustainability, and with an emphasis on finding and keeping good people (even if there is no work at the time).
    I didn't feel like the London HQ was living up to this. An Arup fellow was visiting from the China office and it seems like things are different there, but for the London office I recommend trying to push the boundaries more. Better design doesn't have to cost more, but it won't happen unless people are working for it.

Great company

Current Employee - Graduate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are nice, breath IT infrastructure, Projects are interesting, open plan office, easy to talk to senior management, good firm to get on your CV

Cons

Salary isn't that great. A lot of lifers who think they know better, culture is like marmite. You either love it and you're there for life or you don't and youre there for a short period of time

Listen to the lower grades, they do a lot of work that isn't recognised

N/A

Current Employee - Transaction Adviser in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Transaction Adviser in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work for as a graduate analyst

Cons

Not Applicable - as the company ensures that analyst are well prepared and integrated into the firm.

N/A

Summer Student

Former Intern - Summer Student in London, England
    Former Intern - Summer Student in London, England

I worked at Arup as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very engaging environment, smart and very technically competent people. Good social life associated with work colleagues.

Cons

Little pay consideration for central London location of employment - hard to sustain life without additional finances

I have been working at Arup

Pros

great projects in general. good work life balance

Cons

sometimes underresourced - can put too much pressure/workload on individuals

Interesting work but cannot get past Senior Consultant unless you grease the right palms

I worked at Arup full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly staff, flexible working hours, possibility of international working.

Cons

FSS pension was taken away after the financial crash. Limited opportunities for promotion due to top heavy company structure. Best talent has been poached or left dissatisfied with lack of recognition and left.

Brilliant

I have been working at Arup

Pros

Relaxed environment, good management, great colleagues.

Cons

Occasional short deadlines. Generally slow to promote - majority of staff who leave (despite being content) do so for jobs at higher grades a rival firm.

Positive feedback.