Ascension Health Ministry Service Center

www.msc.ascensionhealth.org

Ascension Health Ministry Service Center Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Leadership is in it for themselves

ProsAscension is a great mission-oriented company. Good benefits.

ConsPolitics are brutal. Management in the MSC have no healthcare experience, and they condescend to those who do. The facility was over built with flashy, colorful furniture and high-tech elaborate big screen TVs in a way that contradicts Ascension's modest values. Favorites are played and if you disagree you are isolated. The CEO is barely ever there. He doesn't even live in Indianapolis. Despite Ascension's high-minded platitudes, they pay $10s of thousands of dollars per year for his travel costs. HR department is pretentious and hard to deal with. If you want to express a concern, it is a shame that you can't trust HR to respect your confidentiality.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect who your clients are. You might not think very highly of faith-based health care delivery but your clients care about it very much. Also, walk before you can run. The place is just getting off the ground and you're acting like it's Google. Slow down and get the small stuff right before chasing the big symbol crashes. Thin out the administrative areas and devote your salary budget to production people. There is too much overhead in that place.

Considering looking for another job!

Supervisor (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsThe work load is manageable and very easy. I work with a WONDERFUL group of people. I get to work from home when ever I need to. And things are looking even brighter now that our current manager turned in her resignation. Prayerfully the company will hire a better replacement because she was a BIG dark cloud hanging over everyone's head. If not for all of the wonderful people that I work with, it would have been an impossible place to work. The senior leaders are starting to conduct a lot of employee surveys and they seem to be taking the employee complaints they receive seriously. The jury is still out on that one so we will see if they make the necessary changes to turn things around.

ConsThe company is quite disorganized. Especially the recruiting department. Hopefully things will get better.T he company hires leaders in and pays them less than some of their employees. The salary is based off of what you are making at your current job when hired in or promoted to instead of basing the starting salary off of the salary range for that specific job. I was hired in and paid less than the bottom salary range for my position and then later on I found out that there were employees reporting in my department that make more money than I do. This is nonsense. This is another example of the disorganization of the company. It's like they started the MSC and didn't completely think through every aspect of the design of things and later on they realized they made a mistake and tried to fix it. But they did a poor job of fixing it. There is also a lot of favoritism. It appears that internal promotions are based off of "who" you know instead of your ability to do the job and your prior experience. And what's worse is, they don't try to hide it. This place is a walking EEOC suit waiting to happen. The company "talks" about their "ministry" values but their actions don't mirror this.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it's great that you promote from within but you really need to provide some training for your newly promoted leaders and assign an experienced mentor to each person. Because the company is promoting a lot of Associates in to leadership roles that have no prior experience and it is disastrous. Just a suggestion. And the HR department needs to do a better job of connecting with the Supervisors and Department Heads that they oversee, to make sure each department is representing the company according to the company's mission and values. I think they would be surprised at what they would find. But of course the reason for all of the inexperienced promotions is because the current leaders are promoting their "favorites" and not those most qualified for the position.

Okay

Prosnice place but not for a very long time

Consunfair "culture"; it looks better in paper than what it really is...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Entirely mismanaged and poorly focused

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsFree fountain soda, K-cup coffee machines. Open, modern floor plan & lots of windows. Focus on community involvement. Morning reflection e-mails from the on-site pastor and hours per month allotted to community service. Mobility program being rolled out slowly but surely offers associates the opportunity to work from home (something that most any job here can be done, honestly). Some flexibility in scheduling based on hours of operation.

ConsThe entire productivity tracking system (PES). Antiquated way of doing it, emphasis placed on percentages rather than the actual work getting done. Breaking down every activity you perform in order to track it takes nearly as much time as the work itself.

Although there is an emphasis on community involvement & reverence, at least in the department I worked in we were absolutely chained to our desks and had no real means of participation as far as our service hours were concerned. No team atmosphere. Although they maintain an open floor plan, group-think is totally discouraged -- both on account of the workload which is very individualized and on account of the fact that if you spend time collaborating, your productivity tracking suffers.

Management is more focused on how productive the department appears to be rather than how productive it actually is. At the same time, they're never on the floor in order to actually be providing constructive criticism or brainstorming ways to fix issues. The lack of communication is really frustrating, especially when there are obvious problems in the process that are not being fixed or even addressed. This reflects in poor service for the health ministries. Vicious cycle. At the same time, management is concerned with keeping employees in line to make the department look good rather than fostering growth and bettering the department itself. High turnover rate.

The exempt employees in our department spent WELL over 40 hours a week to stay on top of a workload that is way too heavy for a 40 hour workweek. Regardless of the fact that there's some flexibility in scheduling shifts, you're expected to spend extra hours putting in the time to keep up with a workload that is insane and is nowhere near something someone could stay on top of in a normal workweek. There were hourly associates in the department in an easier role making easily as much as the exempt ones who had a laid back workload that was easily managed within 40 hours. Totally unbalanced.

PTO is a joke, especially within the first year. 3.74 hours a pay period for full time employees, then you're bumped up to slightly over 4 a pay period after that. Equates to around 12 days a year, and that is any time spent away from work, no differentiation between sick & vacation time. Oh, and if you're saving time for a vacation... you better not get sick, because that vacation requires you to have the PTO to take it! With such a low accrual rate, it gives you no flexibility at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementSweeping issues under the rug is going to bite you in the end. Make time for the people under you and be on the floor with them. A great multilevel management structure starts with great management, and at least in the department I was in, it was so poor up top that the chain of command was a complete mess. Staff properly for deployments, make workloads manageable.

The best place, environment, people i have worked with in my whole life

Match Exception (Accounts Payable) (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsIt's a dream come true company to work with.

Constoo much sugar in the free soda leading to diabetes. Coffee cup lids always shortening. Too much fun in the work place which may at times make people lost focus in what they doing or working on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best managements in MSC are in Accounts Payable (Match Exception)

So so at best. We need to be better staffed

Contact Center Associate (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsWe have a good benefit options, the ability to work from home and upward mobility.

ConsWorking in the contact center. Too micro managed. If you have a problem, goes unresolved

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more and take a plan of action with feedback given.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Potential for a Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsGood benefits. A clean, secure and modernized facility. Free K-Cups coffee & soda fountain drinks on all floors. Good introductory training. Up-to-date laptops; the chance to partake in a "Work From Home" program (mobility) for certain departments.

ConsThe open-style tables and environment contradict the individual work load, and where daily conversations interfere with focus. The style of work (tickets generated) would suit cubicles and people who want to work privately. Often, the team concept of open tables does not bode well for various personalities. Managers micromanage daily time and production reports, even if you are performing well. This strict concentration on performance revolves around software that has holes in it, and honestly, quite unnecessary. Granted, understandable production needs to be assessed, but not to the degree they are wanting. You get the impression that you go to work only to monitor your own work and not the work itself, find yourself going over your time and production instead of doing actual work.

What else? Noticeable lag on the server side while working certain functions in tickets. There would be up to 10 minutes of lag time. Very frustrating. No snow or sick days. Can only use PTO or an unexcused absent. 3 unexcused absent times can involve being written up or termination.

Some of the staff in various departments were not as friendly or outgoing as you might think, which is unfortunate in that kind of atmosphere (open enviro).

Starting pay is relatively low.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the server side; lag time was awful. Be more involved with your staff, praise them when they do something good instead of focusing only on the clock/production numbers that correlate to the mechanics of typing and entering data. Vary the degree of workload.

Opportunities Abound

Training Coordinator (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsGrowth opportunity, Core Values, Employees

ConsRapid growth could become unmanageable

Not a place that prides themselves on quality and honesty.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsStability as it is a strategic initiative of the larger Ascension Health System. It was renovated in 2011 and they provide free fountain soft drinks and a range of coffee. The setup is well done with dual monitors and a laptop docking station. They have annual raises.

ConsPoor quality of product and service to the customers, fraudulent management, and a general disregard for the truth and quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace them immediately for the sake of the Health Ministries

An awesome place to work!

Talent Acquisition Partner (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsGreat culture, growth potential and benefits. This company invests in the future of their employees by offering excellent training at all levels!

ConsTraffic - access to the interstate is time consuming during rush hour.

Worked for Ascension Health Ministry Service Center? Contribute to the Community!