Ashford University

Updated 19 September 2014
2.5

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude
Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • The company offers relatively good benefits (in 26 reviews)

• Pay and benefits-good enough to sustain you while you actively seek different employment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sales job regardless of how they spin verbiage (in 15 reviews)

• Of those, more than 100 were Admissions Counselors (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Good entry level job

Former Employee - Financial Services Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was able to grow with the company. I actually started in 2008 and left in 2009. This was my first job out of college.

Cons

Large work load and very monotonous. Not much room for growth.

Great Entry Level Opportunities, But Should Not Stay For Too Long-

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pros:
    Free education for those who take advantage of it.
    Great learning experience overall- how to interact with a variety of co-workers and managers, office politics, personally, I learned a lot of what-not-to-dos.
    Good people- most of the co-workers I had the pleasure of working with are decent, developed some great friendship and network.

Cons

Cons:
    The company went through too many changes too often within short period of time, making employees anxious feel about job security, which is not secured, BIG yearly lay off is a norm.
    Little to no career development or care about employee retention- There is a running joke within the company that after 3 years or so working there, you are in your retirement age with the company, meaning you are there for too long already. Management supports that culture and made most of the more tenured employees feel unwelcome or laid them off.
    Middle management are often less experienced and less educated than their employees, therefore not receptive of employee suggestions, at the cost of the company's overall benefit, in fear that their employees might surpass them.

It's a tough job you are doing. Thank you and good luck.

Bad Company Practices

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is not a single Pro about this place

Cons

Benefits, Culture, No Perks, Company encourages us to Lie to students looking to get an education. Poor moral due to the culture.

Re-Think the way you treat the students and employees... It is poor practice to be this unethical and it will catch up

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Out of a hiring class of 100 Admissions Counselors, only 20 will make it past the probationary period.

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part of working at Ashford is the students developing and changing lives.

Cons

Dealing with the management. No matter how well you do, it is always prefaced with how close you are to failing. They also recently restructured their firing process getting rid of verbal warnings, written warning, write up, then firing to verbal to fired.

You should develop individuals instead of tossing individuals aside and filling them with another larger hiring class. It is apparent that management will fight for their "favorites" so maybe managers should put all that tenacity into all employees since this is their livelihood.

You either perform or drown while "trying to tread water".

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers. I have met some amazing people here. I've also had the chance to help some folks with their education. All-in-all, unless you are a gifted sales person, you'll be out the door in a second profits dip. Working for this company will challenge your ability, that is for certain. I appreciated the opportunity to work hard and challenge myself. You will be put under stress and consistently-inconsistent circumstances. You will be held accountable for losing your students. If they have a stroke, computer fails, ice storm, they end up in jail, in the hospital, whatever...its your fault. This company is simply capitalism and need for profit in its purest form. They micro-manage you. They have the ability to see EVERYTHING you do. You will answer for the time you spend on anything (unless you have a ton of students). Basically, if anything goes wrong with your business, you are screwed.

Pretty good pay, good benefits. If you're successful at this job, you'll do well.

Take the job if they offer. A glimpse into this industry is enlightening. If you're successful, then more power to you. :)

Cons

"What have you done for me lately" culture. You can work there and thrive for years. If you struggle too much, you're gone.

Divisional Management is relentlessly pushed to make managers perform, managers push the counselors to perform (relentlessly). Managers tend to be good people, but they're constantly stressed out.

Turn over is HIGH. REALLY HIGH.

Enjoy life in Hell. All of you.

Good coworkers, good managers, poor upper management

Current Employee - NSLDS Specialist  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - NSLDS Specialist in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent training, work-life balance, diverse group of people

Cons

Many class action lawsuits due to trying to grow to fast, saying anything to get new students in the door. At one point they were planning to move HQ from CA to Denver, CO, then they had to contract by about 2/5, cut costs drastically. Decisions were made, then executed poorly, then changed mid-stream. Do not plan on growth or your job being around in 10 years, or maybe 5.

You are hemmed in by community colleges on one side, subsidized/nonprofit state schools on the other with a growing online presence. Reconsider your market niche.

You never feel secure-never a day where layoffs are not discussed in some capacity

Former Employee - University Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

2 great things-Great money as a University Advisor, and so many amazing and fun people. I made a lot of great friends through working there. I had a fantastic manager who was 1 in a million there, but still couldn't protect you from execs from above in regards to making you feel comfortable about keeping your job.

Cons

Constant talk about them eliminating positions, massive layoffs etc. You could never really relax knowing that you did a good enough job (to keep it) at the end of every day.

Stop with the mass hirings, and then the mass layoffs! It is so predictable to everyone and not a good work environment because of it.

University Advisor

Current Employee - University Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great stepping stone for first time job out of college. Good pay with opportunity to advance.

Cons

Lack of understanding from top management. Micro management at it's best! If you like to fear your position on a monthly basis then this is the place for you!

Once growing

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

University is pretty well established as a newer for-profit school. Rapid growth led to over hiring early on and great place to establish a career for working in post-education.

Cons

Rapid growth led to over-hiring which then led to many people being let go voluntarily and involuntarily. Business plan implementation was fairly weak which led to bad communication and overall lower employee morale due to frustration.

whats else can I say

I worked at Ashford University

Pros

it was ok...goog while it lasted. Not for profit schools days are numbered now that tradtional colleges are going online as well. Why go to Ashford when you can go to OU, FSU, Rutgers just to name a few.
    i wish i wish they would only hear...im sure they wont...not could care less

Cons

its based on perfomance. other schools are not like that

get a real school

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!