Atkins

Atkins Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger

Uwe Krueger

Pros
  • Experiece of major projects, good work life balance, good senior level enagement(in 17 reviews)

• It is one of the best design company in the world with diverse working environment and really good design team(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No career development during my 3 years at the company (This was during GFC)(in 4 reviews)

• Low pay except for senior management(in 4 reviews)

rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is one of the best design company in the world with diverse working environment and really good design team.

ConsI think is the working pressure during deadlines.

Lagging behind competitors

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) London, England

Pros1. Reputable firm to work for.
    2. Modern office facilities.
    3. Contact with large scale projects.

Cons1. Not the best workplace atmosphere.
    2. Teamwork non existent.
    3. Challenging projects are few and far apart.
    4. Salaries below industry average.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam spirit within business units is very poor, difficult to deliver any outstanding projects if staff isn't fully engaged. Cooperation with other business units is scarce, no advantage is taken of the company's size and global reach.
    New CEO seems to be on a good path to change the current state of things, but mid-management need to buy in.

Great on paper, nothing special in reality

Engineer (Former Employee) Epsom, England

ProsWell established, great flagship projects, overwhelming number of discipline areas, good name for the CV, general sense of being part of something big

ConsAwful leadership (particularly the CEO), no sense of direction, no "hedging" - leading to singular client/project wins being the make-or-break of entire departments, incapable of understanding when a project is beyond the company's abilities

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreasing the length of a working week can not be perceived as"improving" work-life balance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Motivating

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat discussions of position in the company and where you want to go, and more importantly how to get there.
    Honest approach to staff and very friendly, helpful working environment

ConsWorkload varies from nothing to everything frequently

First stage, psychometric test

Civil Engineer (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsMost were predictable formats, it gava two sample questions before the actusl test

ConsAs always with those tests, time is very short.

Advice to Senior Management-

Lack of support and zero career progression

Economist (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThe single major benefit of working for Atkins is the opportunity to work on prestige projects in the UK and overseas (when internal politics does not get in the way).

ConsPoor management. Within business unit there is a bad and counter-intuitive dynamic between the operations management team and the business management team. This results in the business management team spending more of their time covering their own backs than actually growing the business. This has become increasingly obvious as the market place has recovered and our competitors shoot ahead. Management are far too insular!

Advice to Senior ManagementInternal politics is destroying the business. There are too many individuals who are over paid reducing overall competitiveness while those doing the work are treated and rewarded poorly. Staff are de-motivated, leaving or making plans to do so. STOP NAVAL GAZING!

Large solid consultancy.

ProsThis will be a great addition to your CV and may even be a place you want to hang around. It's still maturing and has a few growing pains, but it's size and reputation should give you a rewarding career.

ConsIt suffers like most consultancies do from being quite reactive to client work. Since everyone is working for a multitude of clients, there is a lack of togetherness. Either be a Civil Engineer or be able to get along with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting a spin on everything and make work fun for employees.

Mixed Bag

Assistant Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Bristol, England

ProsSilos abound - individual teams/locations are fantastic. I've worked across the business and while my last positing had great managers, diversity of work, opportunites for growth, other teams are not the same.

ConsNo consistency across the different business units. Poor organisation:- some businesses are run badly, and even some business units within buisness could be run better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor salary relative to market, poor career progrssion. Flexi-time/ flexible working isn't really as flexible as it is sold to be.

Clueless

Engineer (Current Employee) Bristol, England

ProsLocation is good, staff are very eager. Wins a lot of work as they use graduates/junior engineers in place of senior staff which means the rates are always low. Employs a high number of contract staff which means overheads are low
    Will give you plenty of rope, just try not to hang yourself.

ConsManagement are completely clueless
    Run by very politically motivated people who believe functionality and deadlines come second to covering ones backside.
    Does not have the tools to do the job.
    Often leave projects half done for others to rectify, then take the credit

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and work out what you think your company does.

Forward thinking company with interesting projects and a challenging/inspiring work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsLine managers that are interested in their teams' well being as well as performance
    Flexible work arrangements are first class
    Good performance is rewarded
    Clear career paths and development framework
    International colleague support is readily available if you ask
    International mobility of working on projects overseas is particularly pleasing

ConsIT systems are, in some cases, somewhat antiquated and can be frustratingly slow or unresponsive
    Activities can sometimes be very process driven, unnecessarily so

Advice to Senior ManagementThe social aspects of the organisation should remain a focus for the business. "Work hard, play hard" is fine, as long as the play element is there.

Worked for Atkins? Contribute to the Community!