Atkins

Updated 2 March 2015
3.1

Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger
Uwe Krueger

Pros
  • Experiece of major projects, good work life balance, good senior level enagement (in 19 reviews)

• Very friendly and social working environment with technically excellent staff producing high quality work (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance restricted, Have you tell your boss where to go and be like a kid (in 4 reviews)

• No career development during my 3 years at the company (This was during GFC) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Design engineer within the rail sector involved in Rail enhancement projects and schemes.

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Atkins greatly value their younger employees and recognise the importance of producing and developing quality engineers; competent enough to comprehend and execute the complex and diverse challenges huge projects possess whether it is today, tomorrow or scheduled to launch in the unforeseen future.

Opportunities for young/experienced professionals to travel or relocate.

Excellent working environment.

Internal promotion/career progression is more common than external.

Cons

Graduate salaries are lower than opposing companies.
    Civil Engineering orientated consultancy.

A good company let down by overworking staff and not recognising their needs to grow

Former Employee - Transport Planner
    Former Employee - Transport Planner

I worked at Atkins full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People I worked with were at the forefront of their industry. Extremely knowledgeable and welcoming. Very clever people who always happy to help
    Lots of projects and the work is very intense so you learn quite a bit.
    Office environment in Gateway was nice.
    IT was top notch. The latest versions of everything and great back-up helpline.
    Line manager despite being totally overworked always helped where possible.

Cons

-Personal growth was dreadful. I waited seven months for a discussion over my career aspirations and got 2 days training in 10 months. I wanted to become chartered but if your not a grad it is totally unclear who to go too.
    -The work-life balance is shockingly bad. I worked over 80% of my weekends whilst there (unpaid) and those who have been there a while are absolute workaholics. I have never seen a group of people who work so hard.
    -The holidays are not as great as they seem. Yes you get a few more days a year but then again you work 2.5-3 hours longer which effectively mean you pay for your own holidays.
    -Pay for having 3 years experience was a couple of grand higher than a graduate which seems odd. Since Atkins is based in Epsom wages are relatively low as not technically in London but Surrey is just as expensive. My current organisation gave me the equivalent of a 50% pay rise per hour.
    -Never got out of the office after first week. Stuck to my desk rigidly.

People with a couple of years experience also want to get chartered so help them! Stop pandering to graduates all the time. Do proper inductions and talk to your employee in the first week about training and what they would like to do.
    Pay needs to be better as Epsom is not much cheaper than London.
    Appreciate how hard your staff work and say it more often. You have some extremely clever individuals who work their backsides off.

I thoroughly enjoyed my placement year working at Atkins Aerospace, an excellent, well-established company

Former Intern - Year In Industry Student in Bristol, England
    Former Intern - Year In Industry Student in Bristol, England

I worked at Atkins as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Being part of a leading design, engineering and project management company allowed me to develop my self management skills, interpersonal skills, adapting onsite with two leading engineering companies. Truly recognized for my abilities and efforts and appreciated for the work I delivered.

Cons

No Cons, but you are given a lot of responsibility to deliver on projects and a high standard of work is expected at all times with a high level o professionalism.

Office Culture is great, a genuine relaxed atmosphere and everyone is treated the same no matter what level they sit at in the organisation.

Grad Engineer

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Great company to work for, great variety of businesses and roles to move around.

Cons

Climbing up the ladder is difficult, progression based on experience more then performance.

Environmental Scientist

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Salary is good, team structure is good, management cares about you

Cons

Like all big companies, it is sort of slow to respond to change.

Strong focus on infrastructure

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Atkins has various practices including engineering, technical consulting and management consulting all focusing on the infrastructures - transport, energy, and water etc. So if you are interested in infrastructure you can find different roles in this industry.

Cons

Sometimes the practices and guidance for entry level or internship could be less structured if you are not recruited through a Graduate Programme.

Load the employees heavier, and give out better benefits.

Great company to work for

I worked at Atkins

Pros

Inclusive culture, genuine support for personal development and wellbeing. Strategic thirst for excellence.

Cons

Too many dinosaurs in middle / upper management

Younger talented personnel being promoted to middle / upper management is needed to provide a breath of fresh air.

Application Packager

I have been working at Atkins full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You're not distracted of work. Extremely reliable on your qualifications and knowledge, best way of understanding and communication, quiet environment.

Cons

Nothing in particular, it's a good company for leaving you with the will of coming back each day.

It's all about margin at the cost of everything else!

I have been working at Atkins (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some good opportunities for progression and good to have on CV.
    Some really great local teams.

Cons

Management is poor. Focus of the business is purely on shareholder return.
    Their people are their assets and this is not recognised at all. Actions do NOT match words e.g. Becoming client-centric is not actually about caring for the clients but increasing the margin.
    On a slippery slope downwards.

Recognise what your assets are.
    Do what you say you are going to do.

Enjoying my time so far!

Current Employee - Engineer in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bristol, England

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly and social working environment with technically excellent staff producing high quality work. Strong dedication to personal development and good opportunities to experience a variety of projects.

Cons

Many of the opportunities involve being seconded into the clients organisation which does provide good experience but it is not how I wanted to work as a consultant. More work being delivered as an Atkins project team would be preferred.