Atlona Reviews

Updated 20 March 2015
24 reviews filtered by
3.4
Ilya Khayn

1. Adaptation is an art form.

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Atlona full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Atlona, birthed out of the former Lenexpo, has proven to a niche industry that a focused dedicated staff can topple even the giants that rule that space. Historically, they came from nowhere, and took on entrenched market leaders, like Gefen, while staving off new competitors like Wyrestorm and Hydra. Where are those companies now? All of them sold to some larger company. Their owners threw in the towel. Hydra was hanging by a thread until it was rescued.

I look over the reviews on GD, and see the jaded 1 star reviews from former employees that all left with a grudge. Having worked there from the humble beginnings of Atlona, from more that 5 years, I can tell you, if what they say was the way that Atlona operated, they would not be where they are. Holding a third of the market. Preferred by installers.

so here is a list of Pro's
    - Connected CEOs. Anyone in the company can walk up and talk to the owners of the company like they are peers. they communicate openly to everyone. They listen, absorb, and are willing to change their understanding of a situation.
    - Culture. I have worked for publicly traded companies that banned the sale of girlscout cookies, would not allow employees to play basket ball on the premises, did not have Christmas/holiday parties, etc. All out of fear of upsetting an employee. Atlonians know each other, accept each other, and have fun together.
    - Group Learning. To the people who act like experts and have nothing to learn, I say what you don't know could fill volumes. At Atlona, I was constantly trying new things, which took learning new things. Every step of the way was supported by the Owners. Often they were so interested that they would join me in the Some of the skills I picked up there i was able to utilize to grow the business. Some of the skills I picked up only recently panned out to enhance and advance my career.

Cons

- Turn over. if you drop out of the sky from some larger corporation, and take a position at an SMB, unless you end up falling hopelessly in love with the gig, you are not going to last long. 2008 through 2012 was post-apocalyptic as far as the job market was concerned. The recently unemployed were crawling out of the wood works. Each of them came with their own understanding of how things should go. They all ended up leaving. Many of their reviews are below.

- Focus is changing. Now that Atlona is shifting its focus toward a massive commercial market, from a niche market, it's almost as if their entire branding and marketing machine has to restart. The crossover from Residential Custom Installation, to Commercial applications is not enough to support the same growth percentages as was seen in CI. From a disconnected employee's perspective this could look like a lack of investment in what they find important. Where is my budget? it being reinvested in turning the ship toward new, more profitable, waters.

Advice to Management

Keep trucking. You are past the dark days. Keep your product line as tight as it is, but remember to diversify in proven technologies. HDMI and HDBaseT are fantastic, but IP video may come out of left field changing how we interact with video in the coming years. Keep your humility, it's endearing; but remember; You... no, We created something amazing.

2. Fast paced environment in an evolving industry.

I have been working at Atlona full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in even though it's not the usual silicon valley company. Respect is a big part of the culture here and it comes from the top. Atlona has quality products that you feel good standing behind. Management does not hesitate to reward the employees when the company hits it's goals.

Cons

401K matching, Communication from management can be better.

Advice to Management

Overall, the decisions over the last couple of years have paid off and the company is doing great. Try to be more transparent with your decisions and trust your employees.

3. They love their employees

I have been working at Atlona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Atlona has evolved. The company is doing well. Employees all got raises and recently everyone got a new iPad. Good to see all the whiners gone.

Cons

Sometimes decisions and changes seem quick and not thought out still. Change is good, some change doesn't need to be done.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust the people you have. Across the board the company is much better than a year ago.

5. Run (don't walk) away, no matter the promise!

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Atlona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a handful of truly genuine and trustworthy people that want to do great work and put in the effort to help the company figure itself out, grow and be successful.

Cons

There are many people in the company firmly entrenched in their ways, unwilling to change, are dishonest and cannot be trusted even when asked to be straightforward, including its ownership. The company seems to be unwilling to learn its lessons and evolve, be honest with employees and doesn't have a clear plan and path to growth. If you interview, be sure to ask what their plans are to sustain itself, let alone grow its business.

Advice to Management

Management and owner reputation is one of distrust, lack of clarity, deferring decisions, disconnection from staff and not knowing how and/or are unwilling to move the business forward. Be honest with yourselves as well as your employees. Create a work environment staff genuinely want to come to work, are motivated and can succeed in and you might have a chance of regaining some trust and improving morale beyond throwing occasional parties.

6. Intriguing and challenging yet rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Atlona full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atlona feels like a small company in terms of the interactions between employees and the ability to reach management for questions. The company is still growing and trying to find its path which means the employees have a say in the direction and success of the company. The office is diverse and there is a lot comradery between employees. One on One Reviews are held each year and employees are able to express their desires for growths within the company. Atlona also provides training for those looking to improve their knowledge at the work place. There are a lot of bright and enthusiastic people working at Atlona.

Cons

As a growing company, the direction of the company has changed quite a bit in the last few years. As someone who has been with the company for over 3 years, I have seen a few different management directions the company has chosen. This is understandable from a growing company and within the last year there has been a major push to improve the company image and standing. With that said, employees may be asked to perform duties outside their normal titles possibly even outside their department duties.

Advice to Management

The company should be management according to statistics (performance) rather than perceptions of each employees performance by judging their day to day actions at the work place (seeing someone away from their cube).

Jun 16, 2014Sr Director HR

Here at Atlona, we want to keep a friendly, open environment as we grow. The Sr Management team want to hear from the staff, and find a variety of ways to encourage feedback. Our corporate values ... More

If you're willing to put in the hours, it's very rewarding.

Current Employee - Director of Sales in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Atlona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of sales opportunities in a growing segment. But be willing to work hard and put in the time needed to succeed. If you think this is a 40 hour a week job every week, you'll be disappointed. Flexible with work schedule and a very family-first attitude. Seems to be a renewed interest in hiring and keeping quality employees.
       Great in-office benefits, parties, etc. Nice little perks from management to show appreciation for a job well done. Gift cards, holiday gifts, etc.
       Good product and lots of differentiation from other "me-too" companies in the product category. Genuine concern for customers and providing a good sales and service experience at all levels.

Cons

Compensation is just average or slightly below. Can be very slow to adapt and change methods, procedures, etc. in a very competitive market segment. Relatively small company that does have some under-staffing issues.

Advice to Management

It seems you have given a little more trust and control over to the people you hire. Keep it up.

Jun 16, 2014Sr Director HR

Atlona truly has work life balance. There are no crazy 60 hour work weeks here. We value our employees, and provide flexible schedules, and management appreciation.
    BTW, our Director of Sales
    ... More

8. Great Company to work for!! Very positive working experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Atlona full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best hiring experience ever!! Kudos to Ivy :)
    Friendly and upbeat environment. Top management always think of ways to encourage and motivate fellow staff. CEO is very focused and goal oriented. I would highly recommend this company.

Cons

Training opportunities, 401k matching, more PTOs.

Jun 16, 2014Sr Director HR

We do have a great recruiting team, and believe our candidate experience will give you a glimpse of how you will be valued as a team member at Atlona. We don’t believe in generic automated responses ... More

9. chaos

Former Employee - Market in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Market in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Atlona full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none the best thing about my time there was the network of people that I met

Cons

constant change of company charter, low salaries, employees not valued,

Advice to Management

grow up

Jun 16, 2014Sr Director HR

The Management team has heard you loud and clear; yes we have had to make changes-- for the better.

10. Interesting at first, then the shine came off quickly.

I worked at Atlona full-time

Pros

If you need a job and your unemployment has run out and you don't qualify for public assistance . . . this may be the place for you.

Cons

Weak, me too product line, poor communication, near zero management competency, a narrow subcontract (ODM) manufacturing strategy, questionable quality and a complete lack of ethics.

Advice to Management

Grow some ethics.

Jun 16, 2014Sr Director HR

Atlona has gone through quite a bit of changes, including hiring practices to refine our recruitment of qualified talent. Although we continue to strive to develop our employees, we can’t please ... More

11. It's an up and coming company, with an exciting team.

I have been working at Atlona full-time

Pros

People are passionate about the product, company and job. Nice working culture, work life balance is great.

Cons

There are growing pains, sometimes understaffed.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind what successful company's have done, and keep following that path