AutoNation

AutoNation Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

AutoNation Chairman and CEO Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson

Pros
  • Besides the miserable work environment, there's actually some nice guys there (in 9 reviews)

• Overall, this is a good company that could be a great company once again (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Expected to work very long hours including nights, weekends & all holidays but xmas & thanksgiving (in 16 reviews)

• Change the pay plan to screw the salespeople (even more (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, excited for the future

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) Irving, TX (US)

Pros- Compensation
    - Benefits
    - Work/Life Balance
    - Tuition Reimbursement
    - Career growth opportunities

Cons- Training
    - Career growth opportunties are available, they just need to be defined a bit more

You can make it if you try

Accounting (Current Employee)

ProsThe company is always trying new things and experimenting with ways to innovate the business. From my experience, every voice can be heard, though you need to prove you can succeed with the current structure first. Current Sr. Management (Mike Jackson in particular) are leaders in the industry and have set AutoNation up for success even in tough times.

ConsHours can be long, and depending on the role comp can be at or below par. Some stores/locations don't seem to buy into Mr. Jackson's vision of a peerless customer experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile looking into compensation plans, make sure you are comparing apples to apples and that compensation plans are designed to attract top talent...

Don't plan a career here, leaders have too many competing priorities and have no sense of cohesive strategic direction

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation was good, although the final salary offer presented was reduced from the amount agreed upon. Significant amount of bonus was eliminated from pay plan for two years making the undercut a harder pill to swallow. Opportunities to learn additional competencies and skill sets, mentorship from others willing to invest the time.

ConsI boldly lied to and brushed off, given work well below my capabilities and set up for failure the last 6-8 months by "trusted" Supervisors/Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't take it with you and much forgiveness and penance is the only thing that will save your souls for the severed relationships and countless lives that were destroyed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad place

Floorplan Associate (Current Employee) Irving, TX (US)

ProsA good supervisor = a good experience. I had a good supervisor, in talking with people from other departments they did not have the same experience.

ConsLower end of the pay scale.

Advice to Senior Managementnone really... it wasn't a bad job

A learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsLargest dealer group, Decent benefits, etc

ConsRegional Management doesn't support its sales employees and is constantly changing pay plans and demanding more from employees with no regard as to how outrageous the new goals are. Numerous employees believe that the company is so big the CEO doesn't have knowledge of how employees are treated outside of Fort Lauderdale.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone has goals and objectives for sales, market share etc. I believe you'll get the best performance from employees who feel they're part of a team and not just interchangeable pawns on a chess board. Live up to your mission statement " To be America's best run, most profitable auto retailer" without mistreating and abusing employees.

Do I like my job? Mostly on my days off.

Customer Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsStability, training, mass advertising

ConsMorale can vary greatly between locations, ever-changing product prices and pay plans, upper management disconnection, very poor behavior tolerated from employees who produce, unqualified people hired and kept on even if they don't produce

Sales

ProsPotential income and customer contact

ConsInconsiderately long hours
    lack or respect
    top heavy management

Advice to Senior ManagementBe user friendly

Good place to work

Financial Services (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsThe people you work with everyday

ConsLots of hours
    Pressure from upper management
    Micro management in some stores
    Daily reports
    Scheduling

Advice to Senior ManagementLive life more.. quality of life goes a long way.. work is not living

Worst company in the Automotive business EVER!

Customer Financial Services (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsIf you have no talent but are a YES Man or a politician you will fit right in!

ConsThey are ONE WAY in every aspect of the term. They will cut your pay plan every other month, incorrectly calculate your compensation in their favor by "mistake". NO bonuses for a good job, but they will find ways to take money from you if there is any excuse at all. Managers with no experience are put in the highest positions that they are not qualified for degrading the level in which you are able to do your job after they are done cutting you out. The definition of micro-management. There are far too many managers, district managers, regional managers, corporate HR, corporate trainers and many other unnecessary managers to make the company top heavy so they can pressure the people who produce more than anywhere else. They constantly want you to change things but don't give you the tools or the backup to do so. Benefits are horrible, you would pay less for insurance without an employer, they contribute nothing and do not care about you in any way.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the amount of upper management and corporate managers, they do nothing except collect a check and look at reports. Quit trying to reinvent the wheel and trying to turn the car industry into Wal-Mart because your service and quality will reflect the same.

Beware, very deceptive promises and misleading statements by management

Body Shop Estimator (Former Employee) Mobile, AL (US)

ProsDecent discount on a new car if you can afford one working there. It's a job, if you are desperate.

ConsHorrible hours, outdated computers and tech, you can't make the money management promises you when they want you to come work for them. 7 people held my position in about 18 months. They are the Walmart of the car business, but not in a good way.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell people the truth. Most people wont work 50 hours a week for $350. Worst job I ever had!!

Worked for AutoNation? Contribute to the Community!