AutoNation

Updated 25 January 2015
3.7

AutoNation Chairman and CEO Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson

Pros
  • Also, the opportunities for advancement and promotability (in 8 reviews)

• Autonation Toyota provides a great work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • We do work long hours; however that is to be expected in the Automotive Industry (in 19 reviews)

• Change the pay plan to screw the salespeople (even more (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Former employee

I worked at AutoNation

Pros

Best things about AutoNation is your coworkers. A nice facility and quite large all up and down Sprague.

Cons

Not a lot of training or support.

Good company to work for in I.T.

I have been working at AutoNation

Pros

They treat us well at corporate, free coffee (good coffee), various snacks and so forth. The atmosphere is much more congenial than I've experience with other companies and although there are politics it doesn't seem to be the only way of moving ahead. The work is interesting and management is very open to exploring new technologies for use here.

Cons

Compensation is fairly average to slightly below average, same with the benefits. However, I would rather be at a company I like making a little less than a company I hate. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. There are so many people that love it here, they never leave so opportunities to move up are limited.

If anything, make sure your compensation levels are up to industry averages. Other than than, its a really great place to work.

good company to work for, plenty of room to move up.

Current Employee - Porter in Torrance, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Porter in Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at AutoNation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

opportunists to move up, pays well, people are great to work with.

Cons

hours are not built for social life.

It was awful. I worked in Payroll at their Irving Office

I worked at AutoNation

Pros

None that I know. People are always quitting and management does not care...

Cons

Pay is low and not at par with the workload. It is a stress environment. And if you are black, forget about promotion. You can be there as long as and will not be promoted.

Change

Just a huge disappointment to work here... really not worth wasting time of your life you'll never get back

Former Employee - Service Management
    Former Employee - Service Management

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A company that doesn't appreciate your hard work and efforts. Bust your back for them and people are laid-off because a new regional V.P. decides he is the savior of a temporary dip in profit. Can be better if the General Manager really cared about his hard working employees and the benefits they bring to the table.

Cons

Most of the employees are great people. There is a rotation of bad apples that would be better off working elsewhere.

Dedicated employees don't come around often, would be a huge benefit if they were appreciated more and not discarded like yesterdays newspapers.

The walmart of car sales.

I worked at AutoNation

Pros

Good work environment. Benefits and HR department are excellent. Job itself is easy but long hours and inflexible schedule can be difficult.

Cons

Long hours. Poor training. Manager will often send closers over unnecessarily who then steal your commission.

Great income potential, but too much down time

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great earning potential if you are good at following up with customers and don't mind being pushy.

Cons

Way too much downtime, and the schedule is awful. Expect to work every single weekend, and most holidays. Some stores require sales associates to work "bells" twice per week, which means you open the store and stay until closing (typically 11 hours). If you do not sell, you do not get paid. Any draw that you receive is promptly taken out of your next commission check. Beware female sales associates: this field is dominated by males and there is strong potential that you will not be treated fairly. Thick skin is a must. Foul language at meetings seems to be acceptable to upper management.

Treat all associates fairly. If employee "A" is reprimanded for performance or poor customer survey, then hold employee "B" accountable for the same issues. Period.

Beware

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Success isn't based on performance. It's based entirely on kissing butt. If you take a job with Autonation just bring in donuts and McDonalds to the management and you will move up. Period!!!

Management is so lazy you can pretty much do anything you want. Except make money.

Cons

Terrible management
    Lack of training
    Poor pay plan
    Long hours
    Lying to customers

To be honest, pretty much everything was a con

management at Autonation Nissan of Brandon is a joke!!! Takki, the used car manager is the only one worth keeping. Everyone else is useless. Ei, never there, and if they are they are probably on there cell phone playing candy crush. This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. I can in to this business from Hilton Worldwide and will soon be returning to them. They expect you to achieve goals that are not even possible given the amount of cars the dealership sells. This company is a bad joke, I would work for them if me or my family's life depended on it.

My advice would be to accept any job besides with this company. Believe it or not.

Easy job

Former Employee - Car Porter/Lot Attendant in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Car Porter/Lot Attendant in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at AutoNation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're into cars, as a car porter you can drive any you wish that's on the lot. Not too strenuous and easy to learn the ins and outs of the job.

Cons

Evening/night shift can drag on if there's no one there buying a vehicle.

AutoNation Photos