AutoNation

AutoNation Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

AutoNation Chairman and CEO Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson

Pros
  • Besides the miserable work environment, there's actually some nice guys there(in 9 reviews)

• Overall, this is a good company that could be a great company once again(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Expected to work very long hours including nights, weekends & all holidays but xmas & thanksgiving(in 16 reviews)

• Change the pay plan to screw the salespeople (even more(in 9 reviews)

Don't plan a career here, leaders have too many competing priorities and have no sense of cohesive strategic direction

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation was good, although the final salary offer presented was reduced from the amount agreed upon. Significant amount of bonus was eliminated from pay plan for two years making the undercut a harder pill to swallow. Opportunities to learn additional competencies and skill sets, mentorship from others willing to invest the time.

ConsI boldly lied to and brushed off, given work well below my capabilities and set up for failure the last 6-8 months by "trusted" Supervisors/Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't take it with you and much forgiveness and penance is the only thing that will save your souls for the severed relationships and countless lives that were destroyed.

Not a bad place

Floorplan Associate (Current Employee) Irving, TX (US)

ProsA good supervisor = a good experience. I had a good supervisor, in talking with people from other departments they did not have the same experience.

ConsLower end of the pay scale.

Advice to Senior Managementnone really... it wasn't a bad job

Good place to work

Financial Services (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsThe people you work with everyday

ConsLots of hours
    Pressure from upper management
    Micro management in some stores
    Daily reports
    Scheduling

Advice to Senior ManagementLive life more.. quality of life goes a long way.. work is not living

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do I like my job? Mostly on my days off.

Customer Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsStability, training, mass advertising

ConsMorale can vary greatly between locations, ever-changing product prices and pay plans, upper management disconnection, very poor behavior tolerated from employees who produce, unqualified people hired and kept on even if they don't produce

Sales

ProsPotential income and customer contact

ConsInconsiderately long hours
    lack or respect
    top heavy management

Advice to Senior ManagementBe user friendly

Beware, very deceptive promises and misleading statements by management

Body Shop Estimator (Former Employee) Mobile, AL (US)

ProsDecent discount on a new car if you can afford one working there. It's a job, if you are desperate.

ConsHorrible hours, outdated computers and tech, you can't make the money management promises you when they want you to come work for them. 7 people held my position in about 18 months. They are the Walmart of the car business, but not in a good way.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell people the truth. Most people wont work 50 hours a week for $350. Worst job I ever had!!

Loved it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat money until we got downsized

Consmanagement sucks - middle management that is. Mike Maroone and Jackson are great

Advice to Senior Managementfire everyone

not rewarding

Finance Director (Former Employee) New Port Richey, FL (US)

ProsVery large corporation with fair benefits but very shallow on people skills. Very slow to react to market change and no respect for the individual

Cons. Micromanaged at all levels right down to timing hoew long it takes to answer voice mail. Only interested in numbers not people.

Applicants Beware

Service Technician (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsIt's easy enough to get hired and hard to get fired unless you are completely incompetent. Even then, you may get away with it.

ConsLong hours(70+hours/week)
    Favoritism runs rampant
    Impossible to get promoted based on merit, you have to know someone high up or kiss a lot of butt.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within. Stop letting managers hire their friends instead of advancing the people that work the hardest for you.

Low quality of life with excessive work hours.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

ProsPotential to grow with company

ConsVery low pay plans. I was the top performer in my dealership and made the same amount of money that an average employee would make at privately owned dealerships. Expect work hours to exceed 55 hours per week and your personal life to suffer. Most long term employees are divorced and unable to manage family life. Management mostly varies by dealership, but expect to deal with managers that love yelling at their staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a manageable work schedule for staff with 40 Hour weeks. Better [pay plans.

Worked for AutoNation? Contribute to the Community!