AutoTrader

Updated Apr 01, 2014

Sandy Schwartz

74 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Benefits and Pay

Manager Information Security (Former Employee)

I worked at AutoTrader full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits and pay. Most of the employees are pleasant to work wtih and intelligent.

ConsIT leadership politics are at times unprofessional rather than those of a professional work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider improving work/life balance for IT employees. Telecommuting options should be implemented rather than shunned.

Good company weighed down by some in management

Individual Contributor (Former Employee)

I worked at AutoTrader full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat medical and dental plan, decent PTO (if you can get the time away), nice facilities and eating options, covered parking. Salary was slightly above market for my position which I appreciated. Free coffee and discounted lunch within the facilities. Fairly easy access to 285 both coming in and leaving.

ConsIf you're of the aggressive mindset, you may do fine. There's a very competitive spirit within the corporate office. One where managers sometimes put the best interests of their people second to projects which don't warrant the urgency. Each team will be different but overall I see a similar "race to the top" mindset by management. More of a "ready fire aim" approach which doesn't always make the best use of limited time. There are some exceptional individual contributors who are great at what they do. They must get their motivation from the rare occasion they are recognized for their contributions. While the company does have an entire floor dedicated to learning, good luck getting the time away to improve yourself through these opportunities. Also they have a floor dedicated as a break room with TVs and video games. Again, good luck finding the time to utilize these benefits. One last point, I have a hard time accepting management calling people "resources" openly. I understand that's what we are, but be a bit more "human" please.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look at how you really interact with your team. Develop them, don't just talk about it. Give them the time and space to do so. You have a great brand, but remember many others did at some point and fell from the top.

You get out of it more than what you put in to it.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Smart, skilled, and experienced people (mostly);
- Strong corporate values (honesty, fairness, competition) are more than just lip service;
- Honest and relatively transparent dealings with customers;
- Corporate puts real resources and money behind community service;
- Employee happiness efforts are more than just lip service. Talk is backed by money and time;
- Lots of opportunity if you are not an idiot;
- Very strong financials;
- Serious attention paid to costs of each project;
- Corp. not afraid to spend serious money for perceived benefits'
- Well-managed growth;
- Company genuinely strategizes for next generation.;
- Generous pay and benefits, including pension.
- Interesting problems to solve in a vertical backed by lots and lots of spending.
- Really nice facilities;
- Full gym on site. First-class equipment, personal trainers - all FREE;
- Decent food options in the subsidized cafe

ConsLike all large companies, ATC feels growing pains - too few processes and SOP becomes too much process and SOP. Eventually it will even out.;
- Very often plans don't survive contact; Lots of hero efforts by individual contributors are often required for projects to succeed. And they often do.
- Too much red tape sometimes to get things done.
- Lots of powerpoint and political buy-in required for significant efforts. (not any different than any other place really)
- It's a first-name place. An hourly worker can call the CEO by first name and it's normal.
- Can be hard to get recognized, stand out from the crowd. Depends on what department you work in and who your bosses are

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing fine. Way better than a lot of places. If it's not the ideal place, it's certainly trending in the right direction.

Data Architect Co-Op

Data Architect Co-Op (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at AutoTrader as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat Leadership, experience, and exposure

ConsNot yet mature standards and history of program

Great people, but a lack of transparency or appreciation from management.

Digital Media Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at AutoTrader full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPlenty of great people and personalities. Benefits are great.

ConsCustomer Operations department is all about numbers with little appreciation for individual contribution. Recent management changes have lead to uneasy environment with no work/life balance. Strict clock in times, break times, and shift bids contribute. Constant initiatives to show upper management appreciates employees and wants their opinions, but rarely are any changes put into place. Performance reviews are nonsense.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach

Fast-paced Dotcom / advertising company

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAt least for awhile this was a tremendously fast growing Dotcom company with tremendous opportunity. The company is owned by Cox Enterprises, and more recently, Private Equity has taken a stake. Most of the early explosive growth has slowed, and the company is now operating as a more mature and more slowing growing company. If you enjoy working on interactive and website projects, it can be a fairly innovative environment with some rewarding and challenging projects. They do invest in training, and they developed a pretty robust in-house training curriculum.

ConsSome departments are much better than others. Although it's a technology company, it's driven by advertising. Most of the best opportunities are lavished on Marketing and Sales. It can be a great place if you're in one of those departments. Other groups often donn't get the same respect, to include IT, the PMO, Operations, etc. Several departments to include IT and the PMO have had a tremendous amount of turnover. Directors, in particular, seemed to last about 6 months in a role, before they were replaced. Also, I witnessed the company let go a number of talented and seasoned individuals while bringing in a wave of new hires. A lot of this activity seemed to be focused on cost cutting and reducing veterans while the company attempted to prepare for an IPO that never materialized.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay loyal to and provide opportunities to the employees that drive your success

GGeaekdmskm

Individual Contributor (Current Employee)

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, energetic people, lots of opportunity for growth, lots of opportunities to learn via internal training offered weekly at no costs. A lead from where you are type of environment where your input is always heard. Rapidly growing organization means plenty of room to grow current roles as well as find new roles. A company that people actually retire from without being terminated months before retirement! A great place to start and finish your professional career.

ConsAlthough input is heard, decisions that have negative impacts are made daily by leadership who kind of figure it out as they go. Too many managers with no formal training in their areas who continue to figure it out as they go. The transparency boasted by the company has not proven to be true in all areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your knowledge workers input and really "listen" to employees. Not taking action on employee suggestions is a positive sign that you dont really care about their input. Align your department with other ATG & ATC business units for better input and output across the company.

The culture has changed

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWell compensated, more to sell as company has grown through acquisition

ConsWas a sales through service model, now sell, sell, sell and see what sticks. More micromanagement in last year

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on getting the car shoppers more engaged by upgrading the website, an engaged shopper = happy dealer clients follow company values, not just lip service.

good before the red tape kicked in

Customer Service (Former Employee)

I worked at AutoTrader full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople are dedicated to making the customers grow their business

ConsToo many managers to effectively get things done. As it matured there are more and more hurdles of red tape with lack of innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember where you came from ... turn on a dime not like the huge ocean liner that takes weeks to get approvals

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AutoTrader full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture and people.
Strong focus on training and development.
Lots of opportunity to move around - need to build a strong network within the company
Competitive salary and benefits.
If you like change, this company will keep you busy and challenged.

ConsIf you don't like a lot of change, this is not the place for you. Direction and focus changes rapidly and regularly.
Still a young company so they are figuring out how to retain entrepreneurial culture yet establish consistency and structure. This can be frustrating.
Work life balance can be tough in some roles/departments.

Worked for AutoTrader? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AutoTrader reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AutoTrader CEO Sandy Schwartz. All 74 reviews posted anonymously by AutoTrader employees.