AutoZone

AutoZone Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III

Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 31 reviews)

• Work schedule is pretty decent and the best benefit is the employee discount card (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours no appreciation no backing from upper management un real expectations for one person to fulfill (in 58 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Great store but experience will depend on management

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsAlways hiring, rapid growth, opportunity for promotion if willing to work hard

ConsWorking on customers cars for free, customer expectations thinking you are an automotive repair shop

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your employees feel appreciated and know how their work is helping customers

Bad corporate, good local

Sales Associate/Delivery Driver (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsI've had some seriously great co-workers and immediate superiors while working at AutoZone. My coworkers, store manager, and district manager are all fantastic people; the work environment is relaxed, there's very little obsession over trivial rules, it's just a good place to work. Customers typically respect you more than is typical for retail, and you get the chance to help people figure out what's wrong with their cars if you're able and willing to do that.

ConsCorporate are some of the most disrespectful, exploitative bastards I've ever encountered. They think you, the store worker, are as smart as a five year old and even more gullible. Fortunately, you interact very little with them. Pay is not great, but it's above minimum.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit some stores once in a while, maybe then you'll stop seeing us as trained apes.

Good company with great leadership at the top.

ProsGreat culture and people. They have excellent training with lots of support. If you follow the plan set forth, you will succeed. In the stores, you are encouraged to go the extra mile, to make a difference in a customer's day.

ConsPay for incoming employees is not that great which contributes to a lot of turnover. If you stay with your job at AutoZone, you will be rewarded with promotion, but over a long period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe plan you promote from the top is often carried out at the bottom, but executed differently than you think it is. Integrity is not fulfilled like you think it is. To make the numbers, this business is very cut-throat.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good experience

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Bronx, NY (US)

Prosgreat environment to work in

Conslow paying retail job place

Decent pay but very Unorganized

Store Autozoner (Former Employee) Plainfield, NJ (US)

ProsDecent Pay with discounts on store products

ConsNo Commission, sloppy, Drama, bad leadership issues

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement could be better, unorganized HUB, unmotivated

Somewhat of a Challenge if you are up to it.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Cocoa, FL (US)

ProsIt is a very hands on job and expect to get your hand dirty. You learn a lot in this position and the managers are always there to help guide you if you have questions. You meet a lot of interesting characters in this line of work. Overall not a bad place to work, there are a lot of opportunities to move up.

ConsSome of the customers that come in are discriminatory because of gender. As a female, it was often treated inferior because the assumption is that women don't know much about cars. Depending on the location of the AutoZone, there can be very shady characters. Also there several occasions where I was sexually molested and obscene comments were made by the customers. Also expect to long hours and be extremely tired in dealing with angry people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough AutoZone's motto is the customer is always right, there should be a limit. People take advantage of that and they take even more advantage of the employees because the customer can get away with so much.

Its Ok

Prosits a paycheck 20% discount

ConsNo work life balance pay s very low for the level of production from you

enriching

Commercial Sales Manager (Current Employee)

Prosavailability, training, culture, team building

Conslong hrs, compensation, no overtime

Good co-workers, poor upper management

Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) Junction City, KS (US)

ProsYou get to meet and interact with other car enthusiasts. %20 employee discount. I enjoyed my store manager and the majority of the other employees.

ConsI had no consistent schedule. One day I'll close at 10:30pm after a 12 hour day and then the next morning I'll have to open or I'll get just a 2 hour shift in the middle of the day, wasting my whole day away. Upper management sucks- very stingy (with hours, pay, store supplies- floor mats in winter, broken ladders ect.), always asking more of employees and never congratulating for everything they've already done, too scared to fire bad employees that are harassing, stealing or slacking off and that puts more strain on the good employees and they end up quitting because they don't want to deal with the BS. Anyways that's how my store was. They told me there would be tons of free training available but no one in my store knew how to get it which was disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimple. If you care about your employees they will care about you. Stop keeping the bad ones and pushing away the good ones.

Full of politics

Assistant Manager/Parts Sales Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGreat people and immediate managers. very flexible hours and understanding if you need a day off.

ConsDistrict and Regional Managers are all about blowing smoke and fake promises. Along with plenty of micro managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more care of your employees. They are the face and talent that makes your bonus happen.

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!