AutoZone

Updated 20 August 2014

2.8

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 31 reviews)

• Work schedule is pretty decent and the best benefit is the employee discount card (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours no appreciation no backing from upper management un real expectations for one person to fulfill (in 58 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work and grow

Former Employee - Commercial Driver
    Former Employee - Commercial Driver

Pros

Better than average pay. Tattoos are allowed as long as they're not offensive. Many opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

Very strict dress code. Some sexism, mostly from customers. Short staffed a lot of the time which makes it hard to take time off.

Take advice from non management for problem solving

get what put into it!!!

Current Employee - DIY and Customer Service Representative  in  Sierra Vista, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - DIY and Customer Service Representative in Sierra Vista, AZ (US)

Pros

I was amazed at the 1 on 1 interaction with customers you get immediately after hire. At first I was a little nervous to be interacting with customers so soon after hired, but then realized that the subject of automotive was right down my isle!! So I found myself not only exchanging information that was crucial to the outcome of how someones day was going with their car, but also found I really mattered in the advice I was able to offer them! You would not understand until you have seen that hopeful gleam in their eye and that all is not lost and they may actually be able to fix it afterall!!

Cons

I truly believe now that if I can help someone with their vehicle at minimal cost, I will !! As per the busy store we work in we cannot get to everyone as effectively as I would want. Most times we get overwhelmed and there are not a great opportunity to answer technical questions as much as they arise daily.

If the overall duties of customer service is foremost to Autozone, then so it should be!! If as an Autozoner I were recognized for WOW or WITTGTJDR it would not only be nice but rather required by Autozone. So maybe there could be incentive for these acts and documented by management without just the same ol punitive judgement that employees are taking too long with a customer.

lack of hours during busy time

Former Employee - Auto Parts Sales  in  Phila, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Auto Parts Sales in Phila, PA (US)

Pros

helping customers with real solutions. Interacting with the shops locally. The knowledge that is gained from customers and the networking.

Cons

there is growth for the right person. but little support when you are busy. there is no power for management

there are too many bad managers that work there

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

Pros

A good company to learn customer service skills. They try to take care of their customer. Lots of repeat customers which helps with your relationship build skills.

Cons

The play favorites so try your best to be well liked by management to be able to move in the company.

Give more hours to part time employees

Review

Pros

Good job to learn about car parts. Not a hard job. Hours there if you need it.

Cons

Different schedule every week. No real career opportunity.

It was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales (PTS)  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales (PTS) in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Easy work to do for a decent wage.

Cons

Customers can be annoying when they always ask for discounts.

Just another job

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager  in  Toledo, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Toledo, OH (US)

Pros

The people working with you can be fun

Cons

company is only about customers and believes everything the customer tell them no matter what

upper management needs to care more about the people working for autozone that give their all everyday and they need to have their back and not make them look stupid when a customer calls and tells lies about things

Pros

Great Benefits, good coworkers, awesome team

Cons

Training was a bit odd for me. At first they just threw me to the lions.

Treat your employees fairly

Good if temporary job or moving between jobs but not as full time.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Ontario, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ontario, CA (US)

Pros

The only pros I've seen that the company offers, is growing knowledge on automotive, 20% on all almost everything, and the schedules are pretty flexible.

Cons

Usually you are stuck with bad managers, difficult customers, upper management such as the management higher than the store manger really don't care about you unless you make them money. They do not give benefits or even incentives on doing well. The only incentive they might offer is more hours if you make their sales. The biggest thing that gets me is that the company does not care about your loyalty. Doesn't matter what you've done or how long you've been with the company they'll try to give you the shortest end of the stick.

Give incentives on doing well. My store manger is great at what he does, he brings up moral by buying lunches and etc, doing all the tasks with us(doesn't matter how demeaning it is, he says, "How do I expect you to do if I don't do it"), while being the number one store in the district and 5 in the chain. I believe this company run a lot smoother if the company had more mangers such as my store manager. If the company didn't focus solely on saving and making money they should invest more into their employees and create a more dynamic culture value, than this company will be taken further than ever before.

Experience varies greatly depending on upper management.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Open Door Policy is a reality, you can speak to whoever you want. Advancement opportunities are endless with this company. Some upper management acknowledge the difficulties in the field. They also acknowledge a job well done. Discounts received are great. And the ability to truly help people.

Cons

It is very difficult to be a manager in this company and maintain an outside life. Expectations are extremely demanding considering the compensation. Crunch time for expenses happens during our busiest time of the year. More consistent upper management message and support to SM and DM.

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!