Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros:
  • "Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them"
    in 18 reviews
  • "upper management but they've all left since HP acquisition"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sales Executive

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible working environment with the ability to focus on historical and new accounts

Consno real sales strategy - treat every deal as tactical. Management can come across as desperate to close any size of deal

Advice to Senior Managementstart to take a more holistic approach to selling into major accounts and they will take you serious

What you once were isn't what you want to be any more...

Technical Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI suppose there are career opportunities at HP if that sort of thing attracts you. Beyond that there's little reason talent would come here anymore. No upside, not part of a growth culture, more changes no doubt yet to come so not sure what horse you'll be riding. Some of the remaining people are great, but sure to leave.

ConsCh-ch-changes. It's not the changes per se, but the reality that this is no longer a high-growth, high energy software company. With some luck (mostly) it will become something in HP. More likely it continues to whither, and make no mistake about it that has been happening. It could have been a contender...

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a ship without a captain. No one has a clue what the direction is, and no one cares. People will jump ship with that plunging HP share price.

It's a job

Cloud Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe job provides a decent lifestyle and interesting challenging work. Awesome people that hold the teams together.

ConsI don't have anything particularly new to say compared to the present reviews. I can see truth in most of the issues raise, but wonder if it's really that different to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLooking forward to see what magic HP can bring. I am very hopeful that Meg Whitman sees the challenge of transforming the business from ones that driven by sales to one that driven by customer (and hopefully employee) satisfaction.

Overall I've been disappointed with my experience of Autonomy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsNice perks such as Spurs tickets and awesome Christmas parties.

ConsMassive favouritism, steady increase of targets and workload with no recompense at all, incompetant commissions staff consistently making errors and then the company fails to rectify mistakes, policy of zero pay rise even to mirror inflation, company is run through a culture of fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementNurture your staff, don't belittle them into being better. Increase targets by all means, but reward this extra work financially. Mistakes happen with regards to commissions, fair enough, but rectify these immediately instead of forcing financial hardship on your staff.

Aurasma is very apt - explosive bowel movement

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsNice offices on St James. You too can have a fumble where the queen mum used to get jiggy.

ConsThey support chav sports. A lot of hot air at best, aurasma producing is the norn.

Advice to Senior Managementthe most senior have gone, but the real trash are still there. the training guy is basically lower than a suicide bomber..

Salary review

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone
No good benefits
No commendations

ConsSenior skilled employees are treated as fresh graduates And paid peanuts

Advice to Senior ManagementBe generous and reward your best employees and you may be able to retain them

Excellent people, Awful company

Technical Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsIt has a good bonus scheme, and the people there were some of the nicest I've worked with.

ConsAwful base salary. I've heard of people not getting raises there, but I managed to get one. That said, it wasn't a very good raise, and it took for me to leave the company to get it.
Awful management
Awful software development practice
No clear career routes
Sales driven, no care or pride taken in products created

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some pride in the work you produce, and considering your a multi billion software company, get some proper software development practices hammered in to your employees!

Lots of work, no personal gain.

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsChristmas party, which they are plan on removing this year. Decent bonus, generally nice working environment. Free food on Fridays and drinks everyday

ConsThe management never seem to know what's going on down below. The only way to get a pay rise is to quit. The hard work pays off in the short tern, rarely in the long term. Difficult to advance due the the cosy management in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't break promises (raises, visa, travel). You are working you employees to death. Manage your projects better, quality not quantity.

Much improved

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSince the directors quit a couple of months ago things have got much better here. Plus the web filter that stopped us getting to a load of websites has gone and the dress code is casual at last.

But the best thing about being here is the rest of the dev team who are great guys and you learn loads from each other.

ConsThough the former directors were the cause of most of the negativity here we could still probably do with some new ones so I hope someone's looking.

What am i doing?

Cambridge, South West England, England

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

ProsGetting paid to arrive in work when i feel like it, play pool or stand around chatting whilst drinking free coffee, having been given any direction in weeks no one seems to know what's going on.

ConsThe departure of Mike Lynch and he vision he was the reason i joined Autonomy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost employees i speak to have already placed their CV's with recruiters.

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Autonomy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Autonomy CEO Robert Youngjohns. All 302 reviews are posted anonymously by Autonomy employees.