Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday(in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees(in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone(in 18 reviews)

Suffocating Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsWorked on a great sub-team with great people, which was the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Free Friday lunch.

ConsTerrible culture. Micro-managing leadership. Lack of product vision in areas with limited experience. Inconsistent messaging to employees. Ridiculous hiring guidelines that could be overturned at any point by the CTO at the time.

Genuinely Exciting Proposition

Marketing (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat company with a group of employees that are very energising to work among. I joined prior to the acquisition, and have seen so much change throughout the whole organisation, almost entirely for the better. A solid product set with a genuinely exciting story to tell. It's given me opportunities that I would never have had anywhere else.

ConsHP is a very big company, and that inevitably leads to some frustrations. These are probably less problematic for someone joining the company fresh, but it represented quite a shift for existing employees. It can be a lot to get your head round at first, but is something that you can figure out with time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep betting on your people, and keep telling the big story.

Starting job here

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Cambridge, South West England, England

ProsIt is good place for student just graduate from university. It is starting job.

ConsNo salary increase , benefit is getting worse. Many people leave after it sold to HP.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work for some, but not what I signed up for

Technical Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

Pros- good work life balance
    - excellent project managers from HP recently brought in
    - stable career
    - good line managers

Cons- There was not a Christmas party this year - the norm before the takeover was for the company to hire a jet, fly us out and put us up in a 5* hotel for the weekend.
    - Free Friday lunch has been cancelled
    - pigeon holed into learning about technologies which are likely to be torn apart and rebuilt over the coming years
    - salary increases are fairly non existent
    - some of the technology is fairly dated.

Advice to Senior Management- create a graduate scheme with clear learning objectives and cash incentives to stay for X years.
    -hire UI developers to create a cross platform easily configurable UI for IDOL

Role in Legal Department? AVOID! Do not be fooled, this is NOT HP!

Legal Counsel (Former Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England

Pros-*Technically* you are working for HP...
    -Interesting technology
    -Cambridge is a nice city

Cons-...but actually you are *not* working for HP: if HP is a massive tanker, Autonomy is a pan loosely tied to it with a thin rope, following the acquisition.
    -Even following the acquisition over 2 years ago, Autonomy feels and functions as a completely unrelated company, which is causing terrible bureaucracy.
    -A lot of talk from HP management about how Autonomy's procedures and processes are not synched with those at HP (which makes everything chaotic), yet no one at HP really wants the responsibility to do anything about it, as they know its a mess and will take years to sort out.
    -Pay, benefits, etc are Autonomy levels not HP.
    -State of Legal department in Cambridge is terrible: All lawyers left within past year, including the Head of Legal who left in October 2013. Currently only 2 people but for how long! Everyone is overworked, while HP Legal are not helping.

very disorganised senior mangement

Technical Specialist (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat people and travel expenses.

ConsPoor management and poor allocation of resources. False promises...

Advice to Senior Managementdon't buy a company then sue it!

Dissatisfied

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsThere is a very relaxed attitude within the workplace. This doesn't make for much of a 'work environment' however.

ConsThere's often nothing to do, and staff know it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out some structure

Amazing culture change since previous management left - bright future ahead!

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England

Pros- Really smart & friendly co-workers
    - Great line managers
    - Great potential for growth
    - HP Software believe in treating employees like human beings - such a contrast to the old Autonomy way
    - Casual dress code
    - Exciting products to work on
    - Approachable senior management - any bottom-rung developer can go and chat to the CTO
    - Free lunch
    - Great opportunities to work with new technology

A year ago Autonomy was an awful place to work. It started changing on the day that Mike Lynch was fired. Let me have a little rant about him.... He had no idea how to run a technology company. He was a salesman, through and through - he even used to say "we're not a software company, we're a company that sells software". He had no idea how to manage people, either. He created a culture of fear, where whoever shouted the loudest (always senior management) got their way.

Shortly after he left, HP moved in. Since then they've forced Autonomy to do things properly. Product plans, roadmaps, not selling things that don't exist, only selling things that we can definitely deliver. Treating employees well. No arbitrary firings, shouting or forced overtime/weekend work. Heck, they're even about to introduce pay bands! Under the old regime pay was completely arbitrary and rarely increased. Under HP pay is linked to your job role, level and performance, with a review at the end of every year.

So, if I hated the old Autonomy so much, why did I stay for so long? I can think of three reasons:
    1) The forced overtime cost me my social life. My only friends were my co-workers. That made leaving a really scary prospect.
    - Forced overtime doesn't happen anymore, horray!
    2) My skills hadn't improved. Autonomy never did anything properly, so I felt that I wouldn't be able to get a job elsewhere as I was becoming a cowboy coder.
    - Under the new Autonomy, doing things properly has become a priority. My CV is a lot more robust now.
    3) It was my first job out of uni. I wasn't alone in that, either - Lynch's hiring policy was "fresh grads only, don't hire anyone with relevant experience". How was I to know that real software companies were better than Autonomy?

Cons- Some managers haven't adjusted to the HP way yet
    - Previous management left the company in a horrible state
    - We're doing things now that we should have done five years ago... if only Mike Lynch & co had had a vision beyond "sell software make money" :(

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to short change us when you adjust salaries to match pay bands. It might cost a lot of money, but you'll buy a lot of loyalty by paying us what we're worth. A company is the sum of it's employees - you can't afford to lose the ones who are holding it all together.

Apart from that, keep driving us hard. We're really loving actually having a vision and strategy for once!

Fantastic software, dishonest management, lack of training

Business Development Executive (Former Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England

ProsYou could promote quickly if you were good at "networking"

ConsPre HP acquisition: Lack of structured training, Dodgy sales commision scheme (paid late and alwayas trying to avoid it). Management of HQ absolutley tyrannical, unable to motivate employees other than with shouting and menacing

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Very hands off

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England

ProsA lot of freedom with your work. No pressure whatsoever. Nice Christmas party.

ConsMost of the codebase was pure spaghetti code and new grads are just thrown in there without any training or support. Most of the developers seem to be Cambridge geeks with no social skills. I can't think of a single time anyone in my team has greeted me with a 'Hello' in the morning. Very strange...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to change the company culture and support your new grads with training!

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!