Autonomy

Updated 15 December 2014
2.6

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns
Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday (in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it- (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • maybe that the upper management could have more direction in what they are doing (in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Software Designer V in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Designer V in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Personal growth is limited. Good product exposure. Working on big data stuff. Challenging yet rewarding. Flexi timing.

Cons

Not many. US management controls everything, which is a negative.

None.

High stress fast paced sales environment

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

High earning potential and now part of HP

Cons

Disorganized management structure with high targets

Present Company bears no resemblance to its Garage Roots

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Great Benefits; status of HP

Cons

Disconnected Management; daily changes in strategy. No New Business DNA in the software business.

Pick a strategy and stick with it for more than 30 days

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Software Designer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Designer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good place to work, professional people

Cons

Nothing to say as of now

If you want a paycheck, this is for you.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

It is a paycheck.

You can work from home writing bandaid code to work around stupid bugs or talking to India or Chicago.

2000-era software.

Discounted HP products.

Cons

You can ask for a raise and they will give someone else a raise even after working 70 hour weeks. The HP name is why they are still in business.

Culture is divided by roles and perception. High school mentality with roles of geeks, jocks, PTA moms, and coaches. Entertaining if you stay out of it. It affects professional relationships when senior members take part in it and actively suppress others.

If you are a girl, you will have guys all over you.

There is a lot of dead weight here (management, too). The team is not going to succeed at anything more than maintaining the product. The team does not care. The ones who would have cared are gone. Hire innovative people and eliminate the culture of fear and passive aggression.

Calgary office is much better now that 3/4 of the dead weight has been laid off

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Outsourcing and getting rid of jobs in the Calgary office has really improved things. Only the losers lost their jobs and they had to train their replacements which I think is well-deserved karma on their part. As well, I like the fact that they canceled the waste of time that was the season NHL hockey tickets. And cutting the 24/7 support pay in half was also pretty awesome.

Cons

None that I can think of except maybe that there are still a bit too many employees in the Calgary office--hopefully they'll get laid off soon.

Please lay off more employees. They are an ungrateful lot.

Run, don't walk, away from Sales Executive opportunity

Former Employee - Promote Account Executive
    Former Employee - Promote Account Executive

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office locations are great.

Really nice catalog to leave behind during site visits.

Cons

Where to start... From end-to-end, this company has some serious issues. The hiring process was flawed though and through. HR touted hiring the "best of the best" from pedigree schools, which was found to be completely false when actually meeting sales team. HR promoted their home-grown CRM as being superior to Salesforce, which was horribly misleading... it was garbage (I would hope they have fixed that by now). Commission structure was grossly against your favor, where it was tiered by quarter and dependent on you making your quarterly quota to move up from first tier (which was lousy)... fail to achieve your number in a quarter, you fall back to tier one which is very low and you start all over again. Training consisted of 5 days, of which only one day applied to product group I was responsible for selling (Promote)... in other words, I had to train up and be evaluated on 4 days of products that I would never sell or talk to a customer about. Territory was geographical, but what you are not told until after you are on board is that the 'old guard' (the reps that have been around for while mostly consisting of folks from Interwoven, Iron Mountain, etc. acquisitions) get to cherry pick the better accounts with opportunities or any promise of a sale, and you are left to make quota with scraps.... mostly consisting of former disgruntled customers who have been burned by Autonomy and will never talk to you or accounts well entrenched with a competitive product. The "old guard" have it really good as they all look out for each other and ensure to keep success within the inner circle. If you are new, everything is stacked against you.
    Customer Service is horrible... The product rarely delivers on its promise, and the only way of getting support for a customer is to convince them to spend more money... If you can't get them to do so, then that customer remains at the bottom of the priority list for support. So many things were just so... shady... at the company, and it started at the highest levels and trickled down to adversely affect the entire organization. Problems with customers were left for you to deal with on your own, support from management was non-existent. When the news hit national television regarding the HP acquisition " "accounting improprieties, misrepresentations and disclosure failures", management's response was to continue business as usual and fiercely discouraged any discussion on the matter. It was swept under the rug and it was as if we were forced to pretend nothing was happening, even though it was national news... and this is representative of the culture and environment that stemmed through all levels and departments of Autonomy. Morale was super low, a common metric HR failed to mention during hiring process was that attrition rate was roughly 70-80%, but was common talk once you came on board and got the real scoop from the other folks who felt duped into joining the company.
    I summarize this by saying that I wish I had known of glassdoor.com prior to joining, as the warning signals of this and more are clearly articulated within other employee reviews. I didn't know any better and simply drank the kool-aide of what those trying to hire me evangelized. You will be painted a picture of a fantastic company with fantastic product and huge customer base consisting of top household name companies... you will be promised the opportunity of a lifetime with a potential to make excellent money. When you actually come on board and get to see behind the curtain at the reality of it all, it is as misleading, misrepresenting and as shady as the sale to HP itself was alleged to be.

Company values and culture, as well as the approach to customer service need a complete makeover. This company needs a serious education session on integrity and honesty on how to do business, and this applies from the top down.

Horrible management, cool products

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary with a good comp plan

Cons

Targets where way above what was possible, no tech support for sellers. Customer service was non-existing

Resign, but I guess you already did and laughed all the way to the bank

Senior Customer Service Representative -- Intermediate

Current Employee - Senior Customer Representative - Intermediate in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A very good place to work with highly profession people. Senior Management is very helpful and good culture and values.

Cons

I did not have any issues or difficulty in this company.

NA

Autonomy... Waste years .. Never hit your Quota.. Products are outdated

I have been working at Autonomy (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, Nice People, Good Expense AMEX Card..

Cons

Waste years of sales growth.. Sell products that you don't believe in...