Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday (in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it- (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees (in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, Dynamic and interesting place to work provided you like hard work!

Development (Current Employee) Cambridge, South West England, England

ProsHugely challenging workin environement. Broad exposure to new technologies. Excellent team ethos and dynamic working environment. Opportunties are varied and performance related. Excellent identification of an individuals skills and strengths. Hard work and dedication are rewarded. Strong competent management who quickly identify what is neccessary.

ConsCore emphasis on sales and targets, placing enginering under strain. Acceptance that hours beyond 40+ a week are standard with no obvious financial reward; no clearly defined bonus structure. Dynamic working environment, wi'th 'upstart' approach is effective provided communication is clear and well maintained. Otherwise, lack of process can result in work being duplicated and poor quality results. Probably the result of rapid growth and huge success.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement basic processes and ensure products and services are sold clearly with regards to their capabailities. 'Yes' cluture places engineering under unsustainable pressure.

if you have talent come here, fun and rewarding , if mediocre avoid

Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, South West England, England

ProsIf you have talent its a greatcompany, best technology unlimited rewards for the stars. Company is grwoing very fast and awards big opions grants to those that suceed. If youa re brifgr you will be surrounded by really smart people.

Consif you are mediocre or want 9-5 avoid this company, if you don't like a hot kitchen this is not for you. The company is on a mission and you are either on board or not. People here do amazing things and when there is a crunch hours can be long for a week or two.

Advice to Senior Managementmore training and as things are moving so fast it would be good to get more updates. Don't be told to put in more process keep it the fun place it is

A mixed bag of positives and negatives

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

ProsFor sales, your part of larger sales footprint calling on customers.

ConsSome products are behind competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe competitive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Overall Experience

Project Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsCasual workplace, approachable management, earnest desire to improve.

ConsConvoluted technological tools, rigid workflow, slow to respond to change and/or off the mark with industry standards.

Not working.

ProsThere are many great people working here, but not enough. They are all holding on. There are good places to burrow in. There is no real pressure to perform, so you can have security, almost like a government job.

ConsThe technology is rotten. Management is a slumlord. There is no appetite to rearchitect, refactor, rewrite, so the product line is struggling to keep scale with existing client data/demands. Look at the timeline of the companies Autonomy comprises. All of that stuff is still around, like a museum of technology in the 1990s. Smell opportunity? Please! It will take you so long to achieve anything it will make you look bad interviewing for your next job. Money is only available in the wake of a crisis, so you'll be muddling-through. Good ideas are scary. Basic stuff you need to manage crises are broken too: the network, for example, is pathologically broken due to integration problems since the merger. There's more, but trust me, you don't really want to know.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease! ... as if they care. You'll never pay for the acquisition deal losses, so kick back and enjoy the ride, right? It will take another decade for clients to abandon Autonomy, so the gravy train will keep flowing and the decline will match expenses recouped through employee attrition. Maybe you can replace experienced staff with gullible recent grads? A cakewalk! 100% play-acting! HP had better buy some more (new) companies with products to replace 90% of the Autonomy stuff if they want to keep those lucrative clients locked in.

I enjoyed the pay, but was never trained properly & held to unreasonable production standards.

Business Development Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat pay & benefits! Organized sports after work against other company reams here in SF & good morale amongst coworkers. Free catered lunches weekly!

ConsUpper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees. The sales/BDA goals are extremely unrealistic. I have led my sales team in all my prior positions, but at this company I never hit my weekly quota, nor did 90% of my peers in my department.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. Spend a day doing what they/we do & see exactly what we are up against & then set production goals based on that. REALISTIC, Attainable Goals.

analyst/CA

Analyst/CA (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prosalways have time for fun

Consnot good for beginner
    join it only if this is your last option

Advice to Senior Managementneed to be more professional

Autonomy, Great Company, Top of the line engineers.

Solutions Support Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsGreat products, Great employees, Lots of opportunity to grow. Great benefits for Employees.

ConsNeeds to improve to catch up with competitors.

Was a mess during HP Merger

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosif you had the right opportunities, pay was good

Constoxic company culture, very public leadership issues during merger killed sales cycles.

About the Compnay

Prosif you are looking for some sort of easy, something similar to govt. desk job, then this is the place for you

Consnot much opportunities. Fresher, avoid it as much as possible

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!