Autonomy

www.autonomy.com
Profile Unclaimed

Horrible management, cool products

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary with a good comp plan

Cons

Targets where way above what was possible, no tech support for sellers. Customer service was non-existing

Resign, but I guess you already did and laughed all the way to the bank

Calgary office is much better now that 3/4 of the dead weight has been laid off

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Outsourcing and getting rid of jobs in the Calgary office has really improved things. Only the losers lost their jobs and they had to train their replacements which I think is well-deserved karma on their part. As well, I like the fact that they canceled the waste of time that was the season NHL hockey tickets. And cutting the 24/7 support pay in half was also pretty awesome.

Cons

None that I can think of except maybe that there are still a bit too many employees in the Calgary office--hopefully they'll get laid off soon.

Please lay off more employees. They are an ungrateful lot.

Run, don't walk, away from Sales Executive opportunity

Former Employee - Promote Account Executive
    Former Employee - Promote Account Executive

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Office locations are great.

Really nice catalog to leave behind during site visits.

Cons

Where to start... From end-to-end, this company has some serious issues. The hiring process was flawed though and through. HR touted hiring the "best of the best" from pedigree schools, which was found to be completely false when actually meeting sales team. HR promoted their home-grown CRM as being superior to Salesforce, which was horribly misleading... it was garbage (I would hope they have fixed that by now). Commission structure was grossly against your favor, where it was tiered by quarter and dependent on you making your quarterly quota to move up from first tier (which was lousy)... fail to achieve your number in a quarter, you fall back to tier one which is very low and you start all over again. Training consisted of 5 days, of which only one day applied to product group I was responsible for selling (Promote)... in other words, I had to train up and be evaluated on 4 days of products that I would never sell or talk to a customer about. Territory was geographical, but what you are not told until after you are on board is that the 'old guard' (the reps that have been around for while mostly consisting of folks from Interwoven, Iron Mountain, etc. acquisitions) get to cherry pick the better accounts with opportunities or any promise of a sale, and you are left to make quota with scraps.... mostly consisting of former disgruntled customers who have been burned by Autonomy and will never talk to you or accounts well entrenched with a competitive product. The "old guard" have it really good as they all look out for each other and ensure to keep success within the inner circle. If you are new, everything is stacked against you.
    Customer Service is horrible... The product rarely delivers on its promise, and the only way of getting support for a customer is to convince them to spend more money... If you can't get them to do so, then that customer remains at the bottom of the priority list for support. So many things were just so... shady... at the company, and it started at the highest levels and trickled down to adversely affect the entire organization. Problems with customers were left for you to deal with on your own, support from management was non-existent. When the news hit national television regarding the HP acquisition " "accounting improprieties, misrepresentations and disclosure failures", management's response was to continue business as usual and fiercely discouraged any discussion on the matter. It was swept under the rug and it was as if we were forced to pretend nothing was happening, even though it was national news... and this is representative of the culture and environment that stemmed through all levels and departments of Autonomy. Morale was super low, a common metric HR failed to mention during hiring process was that attrition rate was roughly 70-80%, but was common talk once you came on board and got the real scoop from the other folks who felt duped into joining the company.
    I summarize this by saying that I wish I had known of glassdoor.com prior to joining, as the warning signals of this and more are clearly articulated within other employee reviews. I didn't know any better and simply drank the kool-aide of what those trying to hire me evangelized. You will be painted a picture of a fantastic company with fantastic product and huge customer base consisting of top household name companies... you will be promised the opportunity of a lifetime with a potential to make excellent money. When you actually come on board and get to see behind the curtain at the reality of it all, it is as misleading, misrepresenting and as shady as the sale to HP itself was alleged to be.

Company values and culture, as well as the approach to customer service need a complete makeover. This company needs a serious education session on integrity and honesty on how to do business, and this applies from the top down.

Senior Customer Service Representative -- Intermediate

Current Employee - Senior Customer Representative - Intermediate in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A very good place to work with highly profession people. Senior Management is very helpful and good culture and values.

Cons

I did not have any issues or difficulty in this company.

NA

Autonomy... Waste years .. Never hit your Quota.. Products are outdated

I have been working at Autonomy (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Nice People, Good Expense AMEX Card..

Cons

Waste years of sales growth.. Sell products that you don't believe in...

Autonomy went through multiple acquisitions and a lot of employee has been laid off ... not sure if it finished ...

Current Employee - Software Support Consultant in Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Support Consultant in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting products. With right / smart management can be progress in the future - with out appropriate management way to nowhere.

Cons

You will utilize wide range of knowledge and learn well balancing proportion of IT and Telecom.

Management level very from one to another person. People (employee and managers) playing a lot of "job security" tricks ..

Great people, bad top management

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Technology was tops. Product training was excellent. Had a well organized inside sales team. Most employees below C level tops but about 1/2 the VP staff was among the worst I have experienced.

Cons

Divisions not integrated at the technology or sales level and this resulted in severe competitive selling between account reps and confusion among the prospect and customer base. Sales leads passed out on a favoritism based approach (to more experienced account reps). Very deceptive sales practices, with a lot of misleading in terms of what the products were actually capable of delivering. Pricing was also 'value based' meaning the more urgent the customer problem, the higher the price. That might be ok in many situations but what it meant from an account manager perspective is that if another rep was trying to do a deal in some part of the company, you could be blocked from doing your deal, no matter how much work you had put into it. Finally, I have never used this work before when describing the management of a company but the top/C-level management is truly evil. It took me 9 months to come to grips with that but one new member of my team worked that out on the very first pipeline review call his 2nd week on the job and quit instantly.

Wow, where to start. Actually, they are beyond advice so I'll save myself some time here and not even bother.

Account Executive

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits. Good people for the most part-They want to do a good job. Good story to tell to clients.

Cons

Technology behind. Software hard to deploy and harder for customers to maintain. Few sales people can make their number.

Convince HP to start investing in the products, otherwise you will simply fall further behind

Shady folks at the top setting the company culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southborough, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southborough, MA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The group I was in did a lot of new development, using the latest tools. There was a caf and gym onsite.

Cons

My company was acquired by Autonomy prior to the HP acquisition. After listening to the Autonomy brass speak, it came as no surprise that HP later uncovered fraud and accounting tricks. We were told Autonomy does not give raises. We started several new development projects, which required nights and weekends, only to see them scrapped a few months later when the winds of change blew through. They had a few layoffs, then decided to let the best and brightest self-select themselves elsewhere through attrition. The result was a steady exodus, and a huge swath of empty cubes and offices. Not too encouraging.

A mixed bag of positives and negatives

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

For sales, your part of larger sales footprint calling on customers.

Cons

Some products are behind competitors.

Be competitive.