Autonomy

Updated 10 November 2014
2.5

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns
Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday (in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it- (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • maybe that the upper management could have more direction in what they are doing (in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't work here

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home (when not traveling). Free Friday lunch and bagels on Wednesday mornings. Many exceptional people work here.

Cons

Many unhappy customers. Bad management. Unethical sales teams. Products not as good as advertised and lagging behind the competition. No true integrated solutions, just components that should work together but don't. Unpredictable travel requirements. No career development opportunity.

Get rid of all of the legacy Autonomy managers, they have no idea how to run a company. Reduce the number of products being developed and renew the focus on quality. Try actually using your company's own products.

HP can't fix Autonomy fast enough

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting technology but for the most part, totally oversold. The existing customer base has not been served well and it is impossible to sell again to existing customers due to their poor experience.

Cons

Management has been slow to remove the old Autonomy guard. The culture is very much at odds with traditional HP. In short the many of the core solutions do not work or are so heavyweight that it takes an army of consultants to make it work.

Integrate Autonomy into HP SW - align the sales teams so there is not so much duplication.

Not the old Autonomy

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HP culture is leaking in...good stuff, products are being reinvigorated, new product coming out, the analysts now like what we are doing and the world seems bright again

Cons

Large company, with the associated processes, but at least there are processes...not like before--everything was single-threaded through one man, the former founder, who wasn't very good at it and really could not get out of his own way, to be quite frank.

Continue on the journey of transformation, keep communicating and leading by example

Not Bad

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Great culture in the office. Meg Whitman is a fantastic and visionary CEO.

Cons

Poor compensation in terms of salary. Little opportunities for career growth.

disorganized operation!

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Able to work independently. Learning experience. Newly created position with many challenges.

Cons

No raises or bonuses in two years!! High turnover. When HP took over my position in finance became extremely frustrating with the micro management mentality! My position was newly created & an uphill challenge to say the least! Myself & two colleagues without little supervision made remarkable strides. The manager @ HP had zero experience & would constantly send emails reminding up what to do! So happy my position was relocated!!

To retain good talent you must pay well & don't continue to have the arrogant attitude "if you don't like it leave"! In my two year tenure I've seen top talent abandon ship!

Terrible

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People from companies acquired by Autonomy are descent people.

Cons

Horrible management philosophy. Treat employees like crap.

To HP management...clean house!

Better since the HP Acquisition

Current Employee - Technical Consultant III
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant III

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

Management seems to take more of an interest in taking care of customers since the HP acquisition
    Great coworkers
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Flexible scheduling

Cons

Massive cuts to bonuses since the HP acquisition
    Software still has many core issues/bugs
    Software is often oversold leading to customer complaints
    HP is such an enormous company its hard to feel connected to anything but your home office
    Engineering is still very much a closed off world, seemingly disconnected from the reality of how the software actually works
    More of a focus on metrics as opposed to quality of work since the HP acquisition
    No pride in the work from anyone in the company
    Everyone I've spoken to internally detests our software, sales practices, and has no faith what-so-ever in the company (this includes having no faith in the HP parent organization).

Focus on getting the core software solid and bug free - its currently an embarrassment. This isn't a start-up company but the software quality is that of a beta from a start-up. Only within the last few months were sprints started for engineering - before that the release schedule would be over a year between updates. This is a step in the right direction, but without continued pressure its going to be far too little far too late. The only reason the company hasn't gone under is because of overly aggressive sales (the sales guys could probably sand to a guy dying of thirst) and our competitors not having much better offering. Basing your strategy on being just a little better than mediocre competitors is not a good way to inspire employee loyalty.

No intent to work hard for this company

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Knew that working on litigation software was the right business direction

Cons

Didn't treat employees respectfully. Slave driving parent company that didn't value the competency of company that it purchased. Employees felt they were treated as second class citizens, only be told what to do, instead of integrating with main company

Nice Technology Company

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

Full of smart people. Young Company. Good benefits

Cons

Not very transparent. Long working hours. Management not responsive

The blind leading the blind

Former Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I met very smart and very loyal fellow workers who were honest and hard working.

Cons

I met ruthless and unpleasant management who were dishonest and incompetent at their jobs. Some of whom should be in prison for the robbery that was the sale to HP.

You are not the smartest people in the room. Listen to your employees. Respect work life balance. Manage collaboratively and not through intimidation.