Avery Dennison

Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough

Dean A. Scarborough

Pros
  • good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ(in 14 reviews)

• Fun work environment with a good work life balance(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk(in 7 reviews)

• Upper management do engage at the production level to relate to all employee group(in 12 reviews)

Great i lived the pople

Prospeople were great plant was very clean

ConsThe hours were long and early mornings

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate better

Good experience overall

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Mentor, OH (US)

ProsGood training ground. Standardized processes followed. Fun work environment with a good work life balance. Some truly brilliant people work there. Can't say enough about the quality of my former co-workers.

ConsCan get trapped in certain groups. Not a lot of room for advancement in my department. Blocked from seeking other opportunities within the company multiple times. Had to move out to move up unfortunately. Smallish marketing budgets.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your people grow and they will stay.

A good company with very good benefits.

Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsAvery has a good benefits package and compensates employees well. With locations worldwide, it offers employees a wide range of locations to work in.

ConsMany US operations are being scaled back or closed all together in favor of moving production to overseas. Management trends over the last 10 years were to commit to projects (large and small), invest time and money only to see the project dropped or never implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time understanding the requirements of projects, the benefit (good and bad) to the company and the life cycle of the project, its ability to meet future needs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not sure where this corporation is headed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbetter than average benefits provided. reasonable amount of flexibility, so managing work/life balance is better than most places. compensation is above average in terms of salary.

Consdon't count on getting your bonus. in the many years I was employed, I believe the bonus payout at 100% happened just a couple of times, not to mention the many times there was no bonus! CEO seems a bit out of touch with how to drive growth for the corporation. not a coincidence that during his tenure the stock price has steadily declined.

Boring place to work, nice people

Project Manager (Former Employee) Brea, CA (US)

ProsThe people were friendly, and the environment was fairly pleasant. I got to go home on time every day. There were many people who had been there for years or even decades.

ConsWork was boring, processes were disorganized, and office culture was totally unexciting. I felt myself wasting away there every day. It was so hard to have any energy for the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to create a culture shift that attracts young, bright, innovative people.

Avery

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat hours for mothers and great pay

ConsCompany in Holliston MA is closing

Sets up employees and contractors for failure

Communiications (Current Employee) Glendale, CA (US)

ProsShiny, brand-new campus with a modern, open and airy ambiance.

Cons1. The company does not provide its employees with workstations or supplies ... yes, you read that correctly. No one has a regular desk to work from, they use whatever's available on any particular day. And, other than a laptop computer, they don't provide the basics to do your job: no pens, no notepads, no paper clips, nothing. That means employees need to buy those items themselves and bill the cost to the company or to their agencies. And, there is no place to store those items when you leave the office, so you have to lug them around with you. The company cuts its overhead costs on the backs of its employees - and we are painfully aware of that.

2. The company is implementing GoogleApps, and it's a big mess. Like the supplies issue, it's an attempt to cut technology costs by working in The Cloud. It has not been very well received, and when you're dealing with a mission-critical technology like your email system and business software, that is NOT a good thing.

3. Communication from management to the employee population is almost non-existent, mainly because of the GoogleApps issue (the company currently does not have an effective email system) and because the company leaders do not know how to engage with their employees.

4. Performance management is practically non-existent. The company has no formal methodology for disciplining or course-correcting employees or contractors. They just fire them or let them get to the point at which the problem is too far-gone to correct. Very loosey-goosey policies.

5. No cafeteria, and no eateries within walking distance. And, they strictly enforce the 60-minute lunch rule. That means employees tend to bring their lunches with them and eat at their (temporary) desks while they're working. It's a pretty sweet deal for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really, really need to engage more closely with your employees - not at the VP level, but with managers and specialists. Dean, you need to circulate among the rank and file more. Managers need to be more accessible to their people and REALLY MANAGE, not just hire and fire. They need to be there EVERY DAY. Give us regular desks to work from - it will help establish greater consistency in our work products and build teamwork.

supply chain coordinator

Supply Chain Coordinator (Former Employee) Wuppertal (Germany)

Prosgreat work life balance. good compesation

Consi have nothing to say here

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up to date

Global dynamic interactive culture and Clear vision

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Prosthe company has gone through a period of evolution but feels like it has come out on the right side - vision is much clearer and there is buy in, staff are challenged to strive towards innovative thinking, challenging the status quo and effective execution.
    A great company culture and place to work - it attracts the sort of people that genuinely want to do right and get along with others.

ConsStill a company that is reliant on relationships and institutional knowledge to get things done versus systems and process.
    Can occasionally be too lenient when it comes to managing poor performance/people issues.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFamily atmosphere, supportive colleagues, opportunities to grow and develop

Consnothing bad to say

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!