Avery Dennison

Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough

Dean A. Scarborough

Pros:
  • "good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Fun work environment with a good work life balance"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Like any large corporation, the company is run for the benefit of upper management"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good experience but the corporate leadership is a bit weak from my perspective. I didn't really get the "company spirit"

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Leiden (Netherlands)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ

Conscompany to USA/Corporate centered ; lake of company spirit

Advice to Senior Managementless corporate communication via emails and more direct (live) communication with the company sites & employees (via webcast for instance) to reinforce linkage between the top management and the rest of the company and to give a stronger feeling of belonging to a major company.

Not a bad place to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than a year

ProsGenerally ethical middle management level
Company strives for supportive work environment
Opportunities to advance and contribute to global projects

ConsOld manufacturing company mentality hurts new product development
Top leadership can be out of touch with problems far from headquarters
Very conservative corporate atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be open to new ideas and willing to give responsibility to those who present compelling ways to help the company grow. Strive to be fairer in terms of salary and act on plans and projects faster without so many meetings. The meetings culture is slowing down real action in the field.

overall, it is not a bad company to work for

Warehouse Associate (Former Employee)
Pasadena, CA (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

Prospossibility of relocation in various locations

Consyou got to know somebody

very intense

Engineering Manager (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

Prossalaries and working atmosphere, people oriented, opportunities to go to a different division

Consbureaucracy, many decisions take too long, not a good system to generate new products

Advice to Senior Managementless centralized decisions

Very Great Place to work Independently and really friendly environment.

Officer Customer Services (Current Employee)
Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Environment and safety issue.

ConsInternal workflow slow have to depend on other department too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate Internal Applications.

IT Outsourcing

Oracle Applications Database Administrator (Former Employee)
Miamisburg, OH (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood severance provided. Nice manager. Cut to the minimum for short term gain. Look good on paper and not to worry about tomorrow.

ConsSudden notification of job elimination. Never realized career professional development talked about on paper. Hard work and no incentive to do better.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement by walking around. Talk to the grass and root. Get a sense what needs to be done.

No work-life balance

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time

ProsIf you like paper, colors, and fabric, you'll like this company.The work environment is peaceful and you can order ant supplies you need.

ConsThe offices are nice but the 500 emails received daily can never be addressed. This is a type of company where they dont care about you. They only care about the client. so working til 3am and on weekends is a regular thing.

No Innovation, old management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAvery Dennison is an international environment where you can learn from others

ConsThere is no vision, the company has to drastically change its approach to market

Advice to Senior ManagementChange innovate motivate

A company on the decline with little opportunity for career advancement, unfavorable work/life balance and low salaries.

Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee)
Mentor, OH (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAvery will provide a job but not much in the area of career. If one is looking for work and desires to reside in the greater Cleveland area, it is an "ok" place to seek employment.

ConsThey are typically not a good paying company. They are struggling to stay affloat due to excess capacity in the pressure sensitive market. One of the ways they are offsetting losses is by annually off-loading salaries that are at or above $80K annually and hiring younger, local talent from the nearby schools and universities. If you are not a senior level manager and your salary is at or above $80K, you will be targeted in their "right-sizing/restructuring" efforts.Work life balance is a challenge as well as they are doing more with less people. A declining market along with cost out efforts over the past decade have led to this approach which has resulted in many Process Engineers, Team Leaders and Managers in Operations experiencing "burnout" after 2-3 yrs in their respective roles. Diversity is also lacking at senior level management positions. It only exists at lower level/subordinate positions. They have recently undergone lawsuits for age, gender and racial discrimination (2001, 2003, and 2005) in which they were found liable and/or payed an undisclosed sum in settlements. I would not reccommned this company, particulary the Northeast Ohio Operations, to anyone seeking employment with a company that will value work/life balance or that is looking for a "career home" with whoch they could retire.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance must be improved, more competitive salaries offered and diversity improved at "Senior" level managment positions.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Changing environment. Gradual cultural change since company founder Stan Avery passed away.

Various (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Some very talented, creative, hard working employee's

ConsSr. management focus seemed to change over the years I had been at Avery. Focus went from employee and customer to short term bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employee's and they will take care of your customers.

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avery Dennison reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Avery Dennison CEO Dean A. Scarborough. All 191 reviews are posted anonymously by Avery Dennison employees.