Avery Dennison

Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough

Dean A. Scarborough

Pros
  • good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ(in 15 reviews)

• Fun work environment with a good work life balance(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk(in 7 reviews)

• Upper management do engage at the production level to relate to all employee group(in 12 reviews)

Avery

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat hours for mothers and great pay

ConsCompany in Holliston MA is closing

Sets up employees and contractors for failure

Communiications (Current Employee) Glendale, CA (US)

ProsShiny, brand-new campus with a modern, open and airy ambiance.

Cons1. The company does not provide its employees with workstations or supplies ... yes, you read that correctly. No one has a regular desk to work from, they use whatever's available on any particular day. And, other than a laptop computer, they don't provide the basics to do your job: no pens, no notepads, no paper clips, nothing. That means employees need to buy those items themselves and bill the cost to the company or to their agencies. And, there is no place to store those items when you leave the office, so you have to lug them around with you. The company cuts its overhead costs on the backs of its employees - and we are painfully aware of that.

2. The company is implementing GoogleApps, and it's a big mess. Like the supplies issue, it's an attempt to cut technology costs by working in The Cloud. It has not been very well received, and when you're dealing with a mission-critical technology like your email system and business software, that is NOT a good thing.

3. Communication from management to the employee population is almost non-existent, mainly because of the GoogleApps issue (the company currently does not have an effective email system) and because the company leaders do not know how to engage with their employees.

4. Performance management is practically non-existent. The company has no formal methodology for disciplining or course-correcting employees or contractors. They just fire them or let them get to the point at which the problem is too far-gone to correct. Very loosey-goosey policies.

5. No cafeteria, and no eateries within walking distance. And, they strictly enforce the 60-minute lunch rule. That means employees tend to bring their lunches with them and eat at their (temporary) desks while they're working. It's a pretty sweet deal for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really, really need to engage more closely with your employees - not at the VP level, but with managers and specialists. Dean, you need to circulate among the rank and file more. Managers need to be more accessible to their people and REALLY MANAGE, not just hire and fire. They need to be there EVERY DAY. Give us regular desks to work from - it will help establish greater consistency in our work products and build teamwork.

A mostly positive experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFinancially stable company. Did a reasonable job with people development, succession planning. A very solid employee base. People who really care about the company and their fellow employees.

ConsNeed a change at the very top. Eliminate some of the complexities within the divisions

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach on accountability. Re consider strategy to outsource so many activities that are non transactional.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many acquisitions over the years with questionable ROI

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI loved the people I interacted with on a regular basis, great environment when it comes to practicing lean manufacturing.

ConsA lot of politics that feels somewhat unfair at times, I've seen people pushed out. A bit of turmoil with the sale of the consumer products division last year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to your roots that Stan Avery built, innovation, innovation, execution.

Overworked, Underappreciated

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsNew bright offices in Glendale.

ConsMostly everyone is out for themselves. Downsizing and staff reductions have left most fearing for their jobs while performing the work of 3+ people.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and provide some stability so they can have confidence to perform and grow the company instead of continuing to cut jobs to show revenue.

Has been a great company, unfortunately poor Senior management in Aust/Asean

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people in general, opportunities as a multinational and when given the opportunity development amongst some very bright people.

ConsInnovation and product to market painfully slow, leadership autocratic and doesnt empower or listen locally. Need to set long term strategies not just meet short term metrics. The customer and culture suffers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening and understanding what people really do, not just what the favourites say. Too much beauracracy and process, not enough action.

Great Company to work for

ProsCompany built on innovation, with focus on sustainability.

ConsLarge, which makes speed and pricing less competitive.

Product Development Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is part of the consumer office product.There were many opportunities to grow and work with international counter parts.

ConsPeople were generally nice and highly educated. This is the consumer office product industry, it is an dying industry.

Great Company

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Peachtree City, GA (US)

ProsIntelligent people. Great benefits. Amazing atmosphere.

ConsI work long hours and sometimes on the weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing your employees to be better.

Former Avery Dennison (Paxar Indonesia) employee comment

Finance (Former Employee) Jakarta (Indonesia)

ProsCan learn a lot of good work environment. Company support employees with completed tools

ConsVery easy to fired an employee even for small fail. Pity for the employees of the acquired company. Avery Dennison tend to fail to pay severance. Even have the tendency to create an uncomfortable and force the employee to resign

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease watch your subordinaries every where in the world. A lot of employees turn over has made large losses. You have respect to loyality, not just professionalism

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!