Avery Dennison

Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough

Dean A. Scarborough

Pros
  • good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ (in 15 reviews)

• Fun work environment with a good work life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management do engage at the production level to relate to all employee group (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Too hard to figure out what you don't know, but are still responsible for

Procurement Analyst (Former Employee) Brea, CA (US)

ProsGreat employee morale program which provided employees with food, opportunities to socialize, and product. A good working schedule which didn't require excessive amounts of overtime or commitment to projects which suck the free time out of your life. The folks in the office were typically pleasant to work with.

ConsSilo culture without a solid orientation program for new folks coming in. Not enough information about the daily details and a work breakdown structure of where to find vital information. People are held responsible for information without being told how to find that information. Management focuses more on how people are seen on a superficial level, and don't take the time to find out more about the skillset of the people they've hired so too many people stagnate in jobs where they could shine.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of focusing on the superficial look and demeanor of your employees, find out how they can help you make your company a stronger place to work. Create a mentoring program for new employees with a "daily tips" program which will help employees get a strong base of how everything is done on a daily basis and who to go to in order to get information.

Avery Dennison is a diverse corporation with many different divisions.

Director of Marketing (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat benefits. Excellent training modules that you must take advantage of

ConsNavigation and logistics of the company. Great if you can work your way through the layers

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep the flow of information to the teams.

Great i lived the pople

Prospeople were great plant was very clean

ConsThe hours were long and early mornings

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate better

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Afraid of change.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are friendly, nice locations in North Carolina and Georgia.

ConsNo one can make a decision and even when they do it changes several times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in new senior leadership that is forward thinking and action oriented to drive change.

A good company with very good benefits.

Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsAvery has a good benefits package and compensates employees well. With locations worldwide, it offers employees a wide range of locations to work in.

ConsMany US operations are being scaled back or closed all together in favor of moving production to overseas. Management trends over the last 10 years were to commit to projects (large and small), invest time and money only to see the project dropped or never implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time understanding the requirements of projects, the benefit (good and bad) to the company and the life cycle of the project, its ability to meet future needs.

not sure where this corporation is headed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbetter than average benefits provided. reasonable amount of flexibility, so managing work/life balance is better than most places. compensation is above average in terms of salary.

Consdon't count on getting your bonus. in the many years I was employed, I believe the bonus payout at 100% happened just a couple of times, not to mention the many times there was no bonus! CEO seems a bit out of touch with how to drive growth for the corporation. not a coincidence that during his tenure the stock price has steadily declined.

Boring place to work, nice people

Project Manager (Former Employee) Brea, CA (US)

ProsThe people were friendly, and the environment was fairly pleasant. I got to go home on time every day. There were many people who had been there for years or even decades.

ConsWork was boring, processes were disorganized, and office culture was totally unexciting. I felt myself wasting away there every day. It was so hard to have any energy for the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to create a culture shift that attracts young, bright, innovative people.

Good experience overall

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Mentor, OH (US)

ProsGood training ground. Standardized processes followed. Fun work environment with a good work life balance. Some truly brilliant people work there. Can't say enough about the quality of my former co-workers.

ConsCan get trapped in certain groups. Not a lot of room for advancement in my department. Blocked from seeking other opportunities within the company multiple times. Had to move out to move up unfortunately. Smallish marketing budgets.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your people grow and they will stay.

supply chain coordinator

Supply Chain Coordinator (Former Employee) Wuppertal (Germany)

Prosgreat work life balance. good compesation

Consi have nothing to say here

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up to date

Global dynamic interactive culture and Clear vision

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Prosthe company has gone through a period of evolution but feels like it has come out on the right side - vision is much clearer and there is buy in, staff are challenged to strive towards innovative thinking, challenging the status quo and effective execution.
    A great company culture and place to work - it attracts the sort of people that genuinely want to do right and get along with others.

ConsStill a company that is reliant on relationships and institutional knowledge to get things done versus systems and process.
    Can occasionally be too lenient when it comes to managing poor performance/people issues.

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!