Aviva

Be The First To
Add Photos

Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson

Pros:
  • "Fantastic Work-Life Balance, encouraging flexible working and mobile work practises"
    in 4 reviews
  • "It used to be a good company but no longer today"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "No immediate career opportunities, dis-connected senior management, no recognition of skills and contributions made by employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "In IT, there aren't a lot of career opportunities, and the manager is not so understanding"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great company to develop into a professional, most people over time can work up the ranks.

I worked at Aviva full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood opportunities to push yourself in a large organisation in practically any direction.

ConsA company the appears to have seen it's best days, cost cutting and redundancies seem to be order of the day now.

Need to be resilient to cope with constant change and need to drive for development opportunities

I have been working at Aviva full-time

ProsEncourages innovative thinkers. Often supportive of personal development plans. Customer at the heart of business ambition. Flexible working available if seek it out, great peer to peer support, dedicated culture.

ConsConstant restructuring, albeit this is reducing with new leadership team. Over-stretched resources working to high expectations. Slow progression as promotions usually only available when someone leaves the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be great to have more proactive approach to progression and development opportunities within the group.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good salary. Bad management.

Norwich, England

I worked at Aviva full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalaries are very good, and there is scope to move around - if your face fits.

ConsMy experience was one of bad management - unskilled people making their way to the top resulting in frustration and misery for their staff. Frequent redundancies means people are fearful a lot of the time and not delivering their best - only happy staff are productive to their potential. Middle management seemed very good at protecting themselves however incompetent.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more creative with rewards for showing potential. Let lower levels come straight to higher management if they need to with good ideas - don't be so hierarchical. Make sure all managers are adequately qualified and attend CPD - say, all managers over a certain salary grade. All senior managers and above should be qualified to do their roles.

Great place

I worked at Aviva

ProsVery effective training structure. The pay was also very good for the job I did

ConsSteep learning curve. Expected to know your job inside and out after the first month.

Advice to Senior ManagementExtend training

Good place to work for

Analyst (Current Employee)
Eastleigh, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery supporting of family/work balance
Friendly culture
Nice environment
Good benefits package
Modern IT when it comes to front line operations

ConsThe business went through a lot of restructuring and has fired a lot of people. This is causing a lot of resentment around the business. Investment/change budget is slashed dramatically so it feels like nothing is moving, but the business is slowly springing back to life!

Advice to Senior ManagementManage transformation better and be clear/open about the future growth strategy

Unstable

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Aviva full-time

ProsIt used to be a good company but no longer today.

ConsPoor quality of employees, too much politics, very unstable. The company does not care about its employees.

Test Management

I have been working at Aviva

ProsLocal, good salary, good people, flexibility, nice offices

ConsMassive cost cutting over many years, command and control culture, corporate contradiction, share price first - customer second, weak IT strategy

No security

Change Manager (Current Employee)
York, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people to work with

Conspoor salary profession, No clear strategy

An employer who doesn't keep their promises

Marketing and Communications (Current Employee)
York, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits and pension are good

ConsToo much travel
Too little career opportunities unless you sell your soul
Too many managers with favourites

Advice to Senior ManagementCreating a high performing culture is all well and good but it is your solid steady performers who youare disengaging, which is compromising your ability to achieve what you want

Busy doing nothing

Great environment
Keep staff well informed
Salary fair
Amazing redundancy package

ConsTo many restructures (on average every 18 nonths)
Lots of 'suit speak'
If you're in with the right people you'll do well

Advice to Senior ManagementStop restructuring so often and allow for the changes to bed do before altering structures again

Worked for Aviva? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aviva reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Aviva CEO Mark Wilson. All 68 reviews are posted anonymously by Aviva employees.