Aviva

Updated 25 November 2014
3.4

Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson
Mark Wilson

Pros
  • Great work life balance, good employee focused approach (in 16 reviews)

• Great people, and good opportunities to develop and travel internationally (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management seem out of touch with the rest of the organisation (in 10 reviews)

• Most of them are dull, not pro-active and suffering from constant changes in strategy and Top Management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Moving in the right direction after restructure,

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good career opportunities, flex work life balance

Cons

Quite a political organisation to work for

Politics, Red Tape & Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Java Developer
    Former Employee - Java Developer

I worked at Aviva full-time

Pros

There are still some decent people left even after various rounds of redundancies. You do get to learn a lot because every department is under resourced

Cons

Threat of redundancies, muddled thinking by management, loads of red tape, not enough recognition for your efforts

Have more clarity in thought, outsourcing is not a long term solution, focus on talent retention and hire good people.

Great work environment and team!

Former Employee - Senior Online Communications Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Online Communications Manager in London, England

I worked at Aviva full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at Aviva for almost 2 and 1/2 years and simply loved it! Our team was extremely balanced in skills and responsibilities, so our contribution was quite effective and recognisable.

Cons

We had a bit of a struggle with the Group team, specially when it came to highlight the regional and local needs as opposed to the global ones.

Good

I have been working at Aviva

Pros

Location, job scope, team, management

Cons

The work hours can be quite long

Great company and heritage; at last recovering, but with impaired potential, from calamitous CGU / Norwich Union merger.

Former Employee - Director in London, England
    Former Employee - Director in London, England

I worked at Aviva full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sincere commitment to diversity (though cliquey in parts)
    Basic pay OK / bonuses good at senior levels
    Work-life balance respected, though cuts both ways
    Friendly environment, though massive staff turnover has not helped

Cons

Endless reorganisations and changes of direction, overwhelmingly driven by financial considerations that often turn out to be cosmetic (e.g. extensive form in over-shooting budgeted one-off costs of restructuring, which turn out not to be one-off after all)
    Goes through the motions of meritocracy, but, with notable exceptions, through several transitions / reinventions at the top table, senior managers tend to be surrounded by their mates, and progression is difficult without fairly blatant patronage
    Too many consultants, often there for CYA purposes or because the group has fired people it actually needed

Given the heritage, the present position is a travesty of the historic potential, but the present team is doing a reasonable job of putting the damaged wagon back on the rails. A pity, and stretching the limits of plausibility, that the best people for the top jobs seem to be so predominantly old AIA cronies.

good company but limited career prospects at present

Current Employee - Risk in Norwich, England
    Current Employee - Risk in Norwich, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Aviva is very easy to do work for, they are great in terms of work life balance, they pay well and you can sense that your contribution is valued.

Cons

Your face has to fit to achieve any real career progression. I joined 10 years ago and I would say the levels of loyalty in both directions do really appear to have reduced and this is no helped by some stupid decisions made at exec level over the last couple of years

CEO does really seem to be turning things around not just in the markets but in the culture of the company but he is still quite new so more needs to be done. In my view if anybody can do it he seems to be the one.

Comfortable Employer

I have been working at Aviva full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, good values, providing a real, tangible, beneficial service to society in general and to our customers. With our new CEO and upgraded board members, we're seeing a massive over-haul of strategy, focus on customers, investors, people and a clear understanding of the direction of travel in line with techno-societal developments.

Cons

There remains a significant amount of old-boy politics where people have risen to positions within the company without either the necessary knowledge and talent or the capability to serve the role through gravitas and industry peer recognition. These people remain responsible for the lack of investment in staff development and hence operational inefficiencies.

Review the full line management down to at least E-level to determine whether the strategic messages and initiatives are actually being embedded and gaining ground, and where this is not the case, take remedial action on those senior managers who are failing in their duty to staff, their role, their company, their customers and their investors.

Terrible place for software developers, just want code monkeys

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norwich, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norwich, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours, holidays, flexible working, that's about it.

Cons

No recognition for doing a good job, promotion non-existent if you want to remain technical, incompetent managers, clueless BAs, are making a travesty of agile development (almost physically painful to work on some projects), talk a good game about engineering/quality and still think it's ok to ship serious bugs in live. Run by people who've been there a long time and block anyone new from getting on. Awful legacy systems (the worst I've seen), reliant on contract/offshore staff who don't give a toss, zero training.

You have people running your IT who have never been developers, and have no idea what they are doing, you cannot succeed while they are in place.

Over-run by consultants

I worked at Aviva full-time

Pros

Some good and capable people.

Cons

Relied on consultants and third-party providers for everything, and wondered why the budget escalated rapidly whilst nothing was delivered.

Have the courage of your convictions.

A few good people left

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Norwich, England
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Norwich, England

I worked at Aviva full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Those that remain know what they are doing

Cons

Too many restructures. Outsourcing of IT and now seeing the costs.

Keep hold of SME's and listen to them.