Aviva

Aviva Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson

Pros
  • Fantastic Work-Life Balance, encouraging flexible working and mobile work practises (in 5 reviews)

• It used to be a good company but no longer today (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No immediate career opportunities, dis-connected senior management, no recognition of skills and contributions made by employees (in 4 reviews)

• In IT, there aren't a lot of career opportunities, and the manager is not so understanding (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Comfortable Employer

ProsGood people, good values, providing a real, tangible, beneficial service to society in general and to our customers. With our new CEO and upgraded board members, we're seeing a massive over-haul of strategy, focus on customers, investors, people and a clear understanding of the direction of travel in line with techno-societal developments.

ConsThere remains a significant amount of old-boy politics where people have risen to positions within the company without either the necessary knowledge and talent or the capability to serve the role through gravitas and industry peer recognition. These people remain responsible for the lack of investment in staff development and hence operational inefficiencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the full line management down to at least E-level to determine whether the strategic messages and initiatives are actually being embedded and gaining ground, and where this is not the case, take remedial action on those senior managers who are failing in their duty to staff, their role, their company, their customers and their investors.

Over-run by consultants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome good and capable people.

ConsRelied on consultants and third-party providers for everything, and wondered why the budget escalated rapidly whilst nothing was delivered.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the courage of your convictions.

Good company that provides great opportunities for its people to develop and grow.

Marketing Director (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat people, and good opportunities to develop and travel internationally.

ConsNo cons from me. Aviva is a great place to work for that can be challenging, but always rewarding.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Need to be resilient to cope with constant change and need to drive for development opportunities

ProsEncourages innovative thinkers. Often supportive of personal development plans. Customer at the heart of business ambition. Flexible working available if seek it out, great peer to peer support, dedicated culture.

ConsConstant restructuring, albeit this is reducing with new leadership team. Over-stretched resources working to high expectations. Slow progression as promotions usually only available when someone leaves the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be great to have more proactive approach to progression and development opportunities within the group.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good salary. Bad management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norwich, England

ProsSalaries are very good, and there is scope to move around - if your face fits.

ConsMy experience was one of bad management - unskilled people making their way to the top resulting in frustration and misery for their staff. Frequent redundancies means people are fearful a lot of the time and not delivering their best - only happy staff are productive to their potential. Middle management seemed very good at protecting themselves however incompetent.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more creative with rewards for showing potential. Let lower levels come straight to higher management if they need to with good ideas - don't be so hierarchical. Make sure all managers are adequately qualified and attend CPD - say, all managers over a certain salary grade. All senior managers and above should be qualified to do their roles.

A great company to develop into a professional, most people over time can work up the ranks.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood opportunities to push yourself in a large organisation in practically any direction.

ConsA company the appears to have seen it's best days, cost cutting and redundancies seem to be order of the day now.

Great place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery effective training structure. The pay was also very good for the job I did

ConsSteep learning curve. Expected to know your job inside and out after the first month.

Advice to Senior ManagementExtend training

Unstable

Senior Accountant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsIt used to be a good company but no longer today.

ConsPoor quality of employees, too much politics, very unstable. The company does not care about its employees.

Test Management

ProsLocal, good salary, good people, flexibility, nice offices

ConsMassive cost cutting over many years, command and control culture, corporate contradiction, share price first - customer second, weak IT strategy

Good place to work for

Analyst (Current Employee) Eastleigh, England

ProsVery supporting of family/work balance
    Friendly culture
    Nice environment
    Good benefits package
    Modern IT when it comes to front line operations

ConsThe business went through a lot of restructuring and has fired a lot of people. This is causing a lot of resentment around the business. Investment/change budget is slashed dramatically so it feels like nothing is moving, but the business is slowly springing back to life!

Advice to Senior ManagementManage transformation better and be clear/open about the future growth strategy

Worked for Aviva? Contribute to the Community!