BB&T

BB&T Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King

Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Little room for advancement but it is there(in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated(in 17 reviews)

Great place to work

Business Service Officer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsExcellent experience, opportunity for growth.

ConsSalary is not at industry level

Great

Rb II (Former Employee)

ProsGood training and career progression opportunities.

ConsSome branches understaffed on Saturdays.

The Best of the Best

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you want to be in banking, you want to be in a bank that has a long history of sound judgement, good leadership and stability. That describes BB&T. The Corporate Culture is ethical, moral, client centric and tries hard to be entrepreneurial to the best of its ability with government regulations and oversight. It's the best place to be, if you want to be in banking.

ConsIf you want to be in banking, be aware it's volatile, accountable to shareholders, under government scrutiny and regulations and these are hard times for the financial industry in general. The good banks get lumped in with the bad. BB&T will often over-compensate to protect profitability and brand. BB&T is a bit reactionary and will over-correct when profitability or stability or propriety is questioned. The over-correction creates insecurity in the ranks while the overall Corporate Culture remains strong. But I wonder how long.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe centralization of many functions of operations to create uniformity, accountability, control expenses and execute policy and procedure and create transparency, can also create a sluggish behemoth unable to quickly respond to business exigencies. Autonomy was a strength and a weakness in the Community Banking model. People do the job, so too few people with the authority to take action, scope, create strategy, execute; the more layers between the doers and the ok-ers; the slower we are to respond to opportunity. And that's the endgame; seize opportunity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still growing

Network Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits are pretty good. Current position allows for a great work/life balance.

ConsFor as large as the company is, there is little room to grow due to the size of the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the work...

Great place to work

Relationship Banker (Former Employee) Stafford, VA (US)

Prospeople and benefits are what separate this bank from the others

Consusual cons working in a bank is the disgruntled customers so you cant avoid that anywhere you go.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep an open dialogue with all layers of employees

It provided mediocre income and decent benefits while waiting on something better to come along.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Whiteville, NC (US)

ProsThe benefits are good and the income is decent for the area.

ConsAllows pseudo-nepotism and blatant favoritism to occur simply because certain relationships are outside the "textbook definition" of nepotism. (Whiteville-Call Center) Also, allows the aforementioned employees to stay on the clock for personal business that benefits themselves and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest looking into the familial ties in your New Accounts and Chat Department in the Whiteville Call Center, because allowing it to continue to go on will eventually result in a lawsuit.

Management Style is soooo 30-Years Ago - Really Bad for the 21st Century

Project Manager (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsI honestly cannot provide any Pros for working at BB&T. (and, I am not a disgruntled former employee)

ConsHere is how I would categorize my experience: Management has no regard nor do they demonstrate or live the Corporate Values. I found Management to be insecure, asinine, and consistently disjointed. I found Bully-Style Management to be the norm. My review sessions felt more like Interrogation sessions. The BB&T Culture works for persons who have not developed nor embraced a broader world-view and experiences. The culture works for a narrow set of people. No career path, either. This was by far my worst experience in a corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for Management at BB&T, just a few things that I observed: Management is tone deaf which makes the organization unwilling to (very well can't) change. I only know that what I experienced at BB&T is a reflection of the overall leadership - (from Kelly King on down) - they don't know what they don't know.

Horrible

Teller Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits were ok and started after 2 weeks

ConsNot enough staff to operate, lack of training, poor leadership and terrible management

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff branches properly, make management accessible to clients and employees, hire managers that are qualified for their positions, listen to client complaints and make necessary changes

In theory, a great company; however too many managers get in the way.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood training, value of higher education

Conslower pay for women, poor management

BBT its all bad...I think your experience depends on which branch you get assigned to.

Teller (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGood Salary & Excellent benefits

ConsWeak/poor training. Organizational culture varies drastically from branch to branch. The particular branch I worked at in my opinion was awful!

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training process! Upgrade the technology, still processing transactions like its 1999.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!